Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

MADNESS AT GARDMORE ABBEY

As the spring sun shines brightly in the summer sky above the King’s Road, a gentle breeze flows over the rolling hills of Gardbury Downs, carrying with it the aroma of new-blooming wild flowers. From your positions on top of the ox-cart, you can gaze out over the hilltops to see cottages scattered in the distance, wisps of smoke rising from their simple chimneys. They are spaced more and more closely together now, a fact made more prominent by the complete lack of farmhouses near the winding old road you passed mid-morning that led to a distant, foreboding hillock.

As you turn your gaze northwest, you can just make out a set of walls in the distance - a sure sign that you are approaching the town of Winterhaven, and the possibility of some answers. One of you reaches into a small pouch, drawing forth a slim card made of something resembling ivory and coloured with an ornate design that seems more part of the material, than something painted by a craftsman. The card is passed around, each of you examining it once more, remembering the circumstances by which it came into your possession.

The ruins were practically crumbling around your ears, but you kept running. It was all you could do after the way you came was completely blocked by massive slabs of stone debris. Destroying the snake god’s idol was bound to release some amount of energy, but you never expected it to completely collapse the mad baron’s abandoned labyrinth. But you were not particularly keen on being crushed or starving sealed in darkness, so onward you ran on boots still slick with cultist blood. And then, when it seemed as though you had reached a dead end, and all was lost, you looked up. Through a tiny gap in the labyrinth’s ceiling, you saw the night sky, a silver comet blazing through it for the briefest of moments. And you began to climb. The debate rages on as to which of you snatched the card from the clutching fingers of a skeleton, hung from a rusty hook on the side of the charnel-chute, but you made it to freedom that night, card in hand and another day won.

Your inquiries around the prize were nearly fruitless until Hammerfast, where Haldvar the Undaunted pointed your party in the direction of Winterhaven. “Seek out the sage, Valthrun,” the old dwarf had told you, “he told me once of such a thing when we met in his childhood.” And so, you made your way over the highways to arrive at Winterhaven. Its gates stand open before you. Perhaps within, you can find some answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Reserving this post for whatever I might need.

IRC CHANNEL: #gardmore on irc.synirc.net come hang out!

Recruitment links:

pre:
AXE COP                                Nitidus, merfolk fighter
Anias                                  N'ta Fra Idraid, thri-kreen fighter-ranger
M.c.P.                                 Reginus Parsibald, tiefling wizard
Thundarr                               Zhao the Pursuer, githzerai shaman
Izzy                                   Levi, Shepherd of the Dead
LightWarden                            Chalinira, drow corsair
Hashtag Yoloswag                       Dr. Hallie Ivy, M.D., pixie assassin
Post header images (use these, it helps me figure out what is happening!) and please link to your character's sheet in your post. I am lazy and easily confused.

Zhao the Pursuer

Nitidus

Reginus

N'ta Fra Idraid

Levi, Shepherd of the Dead

Variant Ritual Rules: adapted from these

quote:

Surge Casting:

Mastered rituals that are half the caster's level or less (rounded down) count as being Memorized and have the following properties:
Memorized: They don't require a ritual book, spellshard or any other such receptacle to use for the caster.
Surge Spending: Their component costs can be paid for by losing a healing surge rather than the normally required cost.
Faster Cast Time: They can be done within the duration of a short rest (or 5 minutes/50 rounds), or half their normal cast time (minimum 1 minute/10 rounds, unless their default cast time is less, in which case it doesn't decrease), whichever is faster.
Expediting: They can be cast in 5 rounds (expedited) by losing an additional healing surge, quickening its completion with an investiture of raw life force. These surges are lost at the time the ritual's cast time starts before any checks are made on its behalf.
Greater Expediting: Once expedited, the caster may lose up to 2 additional surges to further reduce the cast time by 1 round per surge expended in this way. These surges are lost at the time the ritual's cast time starts before any checks are made on its behalf.
Extending: They can be extended. When a mastered ritual is cast, its caster may lose any number of healing surges to extend it if it has a duration other than Instantaneous or Permanent. For each healing surge lost in this way, the ritual's duration is extended by its initial duration.
Termination After Extended Rest: They end upon their caster's completion of an extended rest, even if extended as above. Only permanent duration rituals are an exception to this rule. For rituals with a permanent duration paid for with healing surges in this way, you must lose a healing surge to sustain it at the end of each extended rest, or its effects end. A ritual sustained in this way for a year and a day becomes permanent.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 13, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Dr. Hallie Ivy

Hallie narrows her eyes and surveys the town as the group enters the main gate. "So, uh, did that short guy tell us where exactly this sage lives in this crapsack?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zhao the Pursuer

"No. And I've never been here before." A quick glance around didn't reveal any obvious wizard towers, so Zhao approached one of the men guarding the gate. "We have come a long way to speak with the sage Valthrun. Where can we find him?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Chalinira

With a flick of her wrist Chalinira sent the card spinning upwards before almost lazily snatching it out of the air. She barely paid it any more notice as it danced through her fingers; it was unlikely that the card would reveal anything now that hadn't been brought to light in the previous weeks. It was a card, and about the only reasonable guesses they had were that it might be magical and given the nature of cards there were probably more than one in the world. If it turned out that they spent all this time to discover that it was merely the keepsake of an ill-fated amateur astrologer... she probably wouldn't do all that much, actually.

Maybe have a few drinks and laugh about it.

Of course, that all depended on Winterhaven. Scale and style were the two of the most important qualities of any civilized area, right up there with sustainability, and it was rather depressing just how many towns in the region were lacking in those areas. It'd been a while since they seen anything fancier than the odd farming village, and one could only take so many idyllic pastoral scenes. Flicking the card back to Reginus, Chalinira peered past the gates to see what this town had to offer.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 9, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

Nitidus idly scratches his gills, glancing around at the city's gates as they approach. He'd forgotten just how drat dry the air got up here, but a few weeks on the surface had reminded him in short order. The highway journey hadn't been particularly arduous (nets weren't exactly the most burdensome weapon to carry; just another advantage they held. He'd known some bounty hunters who'd lug entire arsenals around with them, then wondered why they could never catch up to their marks), but he was still looking forward to finding a nice fountain to refresh himself. Assuming they had a fountain. If he had a gold piece for every podunk village they'd passed through with nothing but a muddy stream... he'd be slightly richer than he already was. Whatever, it still worked.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

Reginus glances around the entrance.
"You know, most days I would announce my entrance with fanfare and bright lights, with Pyrotechnics lighting up the sky on my approach. Then an evening show for the gathered crowd! Makes it easier to find people, with the entire town lined up in the audience."

He sniffs disappointedly.

"But I wonder if this town would appreciate it. I believe I've been here before, and I do not believe they were very receptive."

History: 1d20+13 27 Winterhaven you say?

He catches the card Chalinira threw, adding only a little sparkle to his flourish.

"I do hope this trinket is worth the trouble. Though, with a little magic I can have this sage come to us."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 9, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

Chalinira lets out a short laugh.

"If you thought your previous reception was laughing, what do you think you'll get when they set eyes upon your illustrious traveling companions?"

She waved a hand at the rest of the group.

"Surely such a spectacle would be the talk of the town for months!"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

Reginus just gets a thoughtful look in his eye.

"Well, Nitidus might make a good freakshow, perhaps if we drape some plants over him. Zhao, does your spirit do tricks? Always pays to keep alternative employment, after all.

Heaven knows what the pixie would do though."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

"Very funny, Reg." Nitidus grins and punches him in the arm. "Maybe you could stick some flowers on your horns while you're at it. I'm sure they'd love to see a fat tiefling with a garden growing out of his forehead."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

Reginus rubs his arm.
"Heavens, no, I'd look like a satyr! And the less I associate with those debauched, inebriated scoundrels, the better!
Besides, floral arrangements only really appeal in elven towns."

Reginus strides off, looking for a tavern to start asking questions about this Vahlen fellow.
"And I'll have you know this poorly tailored waistcoat adds pounds."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Dr. Hallie Ivy

Hallie leans in and whispers to the others, "Bet all those pastries he ate in Hammerfast didn't help."

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Most of the party strolls through the gates and past one alert guard, whose brow grows more and more furrowed as the bickering line of adventurers files past into Winterhaven. Meanwhile, Zhao approaches his partner, a tall man with a tawny beard and a slightly-worn helmet. A quick examination and you note the general lived-in state of his armour and weaponry, and an alert posture. "Eh, Valthrun, y'say? Yerr, he's within. This time'a day, the old fella'll be in his tower, I'd say. Come to hear a few of the ol' stories?" He gestures over one shoulder at a long building in sight of the gate. "Sage's tower's a couple buildings back. Y'can't really see it from here, but it's tough te miss."

The rest of you pass through the gates of Winterhaven to stand in front of an expansive building nestled against the stone inner wall. It bears a shingle with a picture of a mustachioed man and the words Wrafton's Inn, and a number of distinctly appealing food smells waft from the open windows. Immediately to your left, a few carts have been set up in a packed-dirt square, with tired-looking merchants peddling vegetables and small knives. Beyond that, a set of stables house draft horses, likely used to pull the merchant carts.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2014

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zhao the Pursuer

As he returned to the group, Zhao noticed them jeering at Reginus and couldn't help but shake his head. He was still not quite sure how he'd gotten roped in to working with them, but things had gone better than expected so far. And he had to admit, he probably wouldn't have made it out of the labyrinth if he'd gone in alone.

He'd been troubled since they found the card though. Comets were omens, usually bad ones. And where there was one card you could usually find more.

"Valthrun's 'tower' is over there, such as it is. But after that cart ride, a stop in the tavern first would be welcome. We should probably hurry before Reginus runs them out of refreshments."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

As Reginus strode off in search of a tavern, Chalinira was right behind him.

"Such slander! Satyrs are some of the finest companions one could ask for, and dull is the world where you cannot indulge from time to time."

This was certainly shaping up to be one of those places; Chalinira had seen manors bigger than this town- actually, she'd sailed on ships bigger than this town. By the looks of it, there was only a single public house and not even a dedicated market; just how did these farmers enjoy themselves?

It was with no small amount of trepidation that she opened the door to the inn and whatever hospitality this small town could offer.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

"Such base indulgences are crass, unfitting of the nobility of the sons of Bael Turath. I indulge in the power of story and the Art! And occasionally an ale or two."

That said, Reginus walks into the Inn.

"Ho, bartender! My companions have traveled long and seek rest. Food and drinks for four, and a spare thimble, if you please!"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Wrafton's Inn (2) is nearly empty of patrons at this time of day, though the smell of pastry and meat roasting from the kitchens indicates there is a fair degree of preparation going into the service for the upcoming evening. As your group enters, a woman greets you from behind the bar with a friendly wave and a welcoming smile. "Welcome to Wrafton's, travelers. I'm Salvana, and I'm please to make your acquaintance. We've got beers from the region, and some wine in the cellar, if that's more your style," she says, glancing at Chalinira. "If it's food you're after, just give me a moment, and I'll see if one of the cooks has something hot and ready. Feel free to choose a table, and if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask!"

Earlier History check: Winterhaven is the centre of a farming community that has existed for hundreds of years, standing as the last vestige of civilization before the wilds of Stonemarch that lie to the west. It has a population under a thousand, governed by a local lord or lady - a title handed down through familial lines since the settlement's establishment, though it carries nearly no power outside of the immediate area.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 11, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

"I suppose a nice mug of kelp juice would be out of the question? No? Thought not." Nitidus drops onto the bench, adjusting his knapsack for maximum comfort. "Well, it's the thought that counts. Cheers for the drinks, Reg, next round's on me." He grins. "But only one pint this time, Hallie. I'm not cleaning up after you again."

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Dr. Hallie Ivy

"I can clean up after myself, Nitidus!" She gives him a glare, then flits down to sit on the back of a seat. "Make it three pints!"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

As you settle in and prepare to engage in some admirably-restrained day drinking, you idly scan the common room of Wrafton's. A couple of servers are busy cleaning tabletops and refilling wall sconces, so Salvana brings a tray with your drinks over herself. Setting polished steins on the thick oak table, she makes more small talk with your party. "So, what brings such interesting folk to Winterhaven? Can't recall ever having seen a man with fins like a fish before. Do they have farms where you're from? Of course, they must. Though probably growing some kind of fish-wheat, I'd bet. With scales and such."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

"Two pints, Hallie, and that's it." Nitidus shuffles over (very) slightly to give Hallie room to sit. "We're not going to see this sage smelling of booze, right? I'll get you another one afterwards."

He shoots a grin at the bartender and leans back on the bench. "You think we're interesting? I'm flattered. And yes, we have farms, but it's clams mostly, clams and kelp, and whatever we can drag back from the deep ocean. The younger kids like to see who can bring back the biggest catch. I remember going out and finding a shark to fight. Shark meat tastes like rotten piss, did you know that? Only reason I fought it was so I could say I had." His eyes crinkle with amusement. "I spent three hours grappling with the drat thing, the whole time twisting and turning to avoid its razor-sharp skin. One wrong move, one little puff of blood in the water, and I would have brought a whole school of sharks down on me." Nitidus jabbed at the air. "Finally I got around the front of him, and socked him right in the nose. That knocks sharks out right away, you know? So I grabbed him by the tail and dragged him the ten miles back to the town, again, being careful so I didn't cut myself. But I thought it was worth it, because there was no way anyone could top that, right?" A grin comes over his face again. "Except my damned fool friend Archi has only gone and caught a giant squid! The drat thing's the length of the village, I don't know how he dragged it back, let alone killed it.

"Except as it turns out, he hadn't killed it at all. He just found it sleeping and decided he could fool everyone and release it before it woke up again. Didn't quite work out that way, of course." He takes a swig from his mug and pulls a face. "Ecch. And no, there's no such thing as fish-wheat."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

As Nitidus tells his story, Reginus uses a little prestidigitation to bring it to life. A tiny Nitidus, shark, and squid act out the drama on the wood of the bar table.

When he finishes (Reginus nods to himself at the well placed cliff-hanger), Reginus takes a swig himself.

"Bravo, Nitidus! Salvana, my dear, we have visited this lovely town seeking Valthrun the sage. But the sweet smells of this inn proved more enticing! And hopefully Valthrun isn't going anywhere while we enjoy your hospitality, hm?
But what of the town? Anything interesting in Winterhaven these days? And I detect the odor of baked goods back there. Could you ask the chef if any are ready?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

Of all the welcomes the innkeeper could have provided, a warm one was the last one she expected. Either this town got more exotic travelers than most or against all odds Salvana was just a genuinely friendly person.

Settling down, she drew her lyre from pack and she experimentally played a few notes to check the strings. Once it was tuned to her satisfaction, she started to softly play, smiling at Salvana when she brought them their drinks.

As Nitidus told his tale with Reginus providing visuals, Chalinira offered her own musical accompaniment to the story, quickening the pace with the rising tension.

With the tale finished, she turned her attention back to the innkeeper, getting a good look at the woman as she waited to hear what she had to say about the town.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Dr. Hallie Ivy

With a mighty heave, Hallie draws one of her mugs up to her face and begins to take big gulps - it almost looks like she's inhaling the beer. "Whaddya think sages do all day, stuck up in their towers? They get drunk and party with elementals and things like that!"

She burps, much louder than one of her frame should, and turns to Reginus. "Right? That's what wizards do, right?"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Salvana is progressively more and more entranced by the display the party puts up at a table in her tavern. When you are finally finished, she stands enrapt for a moment before Reginus' question snaps her back to reality.

"Oh...Valthrun? Come seeking some knowledge from our sage, then? I'm sure he'll be able to help you, whatever you're after - that bald head of his is practically a library in its own right, and he's got more books in that tower than I'd be able to count. As for the town, well, there's been some awful trouble out in the Downs as of late - a caravan came in last week saying they barely escaped from some band of orcs, and then Johansen's wagons never arrived at all...I think Lord Padraig had plans to look into the disappearance, at least. Meanwhile, we've got some lovely wild berries from a few of the locals. I'll see if there are some tarts ready for you, master tiefling."

She heads towards the inn's kitchen, passing through a swinging door and vanishing momentarily.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zhao the Pursuer

Zhao called after Salvana as she left: "I'll take one of those tarts too, thanks!"

Orcs openly attacking caravans on the trade road was a bad sign. It didn't look like the people around here could afford to buy more than a handful of swords, let alone fight off an aggressive orc clan.

"I suppose we should talk to Padraig too once we've met with Valthrun. This town has some big problems above and beyond Hallie's contribution to air pollution."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

"I believe I would enjoy a taste as well."

After Salvana vanished out of sight, Chalinira set down her lute and turned to face the rest of her companions. Resilience aside, orcs were rarely the most storied of opponents, favoring numbers and raw strength... but the only thing duller would be doing nothing when called to act.

"I agree, an orc invasion would do nothing to improve the local charm. While we're certainly no army, I think we'd have little trouble dressing down a few uncouth ruffians for the good of the townsfolk."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Dr. Hallie Ivy

"Yeah, yeah! I'll rearrange their faces, I will!" Hallie yells, punching the air.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

As you resolve to enquire further on the orc problems plaguing Winterhaven, Salvana returns with a tray of plain-looking tarts, still warm and wafting the scent of fresh pastry and tart berries. Though not haute cuisine, they turn out to be quite delicious, and it's clear the fruit is freshly-picked. You work your way quickly through the snack, finish your drinks, and square your tab with Salvana, before exiting into Winterhaven's market square (3).

Ambling through the few carts present, you pass the stables (4) and spot a smithy, forge burning brightly as a particularly stout dwarf works the bellows, and a gaudily-decorated storefront declaring itself "Bairwin's Grand Shoppe" (7) with a jumble of miscellaneous items displayed in the windows. Following the village path further, you approach a three-story tower, a squat oak door at its base and narrow windows sparsely dotting its walls. You surmise it must be the sage's tower (6) more by process of elimination of the remaining buildings in the village than by striking you with its magnificent tower-ness.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

Maybe this town isn't so bad, thought Chalinira as they approached the tower.

Glancing at her companions, she raised one hand and quickly knocked on the door.

"Master sage, are you available? We seek your consul."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

Reginus wraps a tart in a cloth and puts in his sack for later consumption.

As they make their way to the tower, Reginus humphs in disappointment.

"Three floors? That barely qualifies as a 'tower', and only because its a floor higher than some of these shacks around here. I only hope this he feigns humility as opposed to being merely incompetent."

He fishes the Comet card out of his pocket and adds his voice at the door.

"We have this ivory card here. Haldvar the Undaunted said you may know something about it?"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

You rap on the door using a weathered brass knocker sculpted into the shape of a fish, and wait. After a few moments, the door opens a crack, and you deliver your message to whomever lies within. When Reginus produces the card, you make out a sharp gasp from the figure hiddne behind the door, and it is opened wide to reveal a tall, elderly man, a pair of wire-rim glasses resting on his leathery face. He tugs his beard sharply as he catches another glimpse of the card and beckons you all to come in.

Valthrun's tower is packed wall-to-wall with bookshelves. The first floor appears to be a simple study - a humble table holds several open volumes of lore, a number of quills and their requisite bottles of ink, and a few thick candles burned halfway down. A number of unadorned wooden chairs are crammed into the small space, and Valthrun waves you towards them before taking a seat behind the desk. His voice is a warm tenor that seems "I have not spoken to Haldvar in a great many years, but he was right to send you to me. I think what you have there is a card from the Deck of Many Things - one of twenty-two unique cards which, when brought together, form an artefact of immense, chaotic power. The last time they were together, they brought about the destruction of Gardmore Abbey - a tale of great desperation and greater hubris. That was one hundred and fifty years hence, and the cards have been scattered to the winds ever since - though your being here, with that card, almost certainly signals that the Deck is trying to come back together."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Dr. Hallie Ivy

"Mmm." Hallie peers out over the town from her perch in the windowsill, only half-listening to the old man. "So how much is it worth?"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Hallie posted:

"Mmm." Hallie peers out over the town from her perch in the windowsill, only half-listening to the old man. "So how much is it worth?"

"By itself?" asks the old man, a slight note of incredulity in his voice. "Next to nothing, and that's assuming the card wants to be sold in the first place. Though if you could somehow assemble the whole set...well, empires have been forged from a single draw from the Deck. Not to mention it's a very powerful spell focus in its own right."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Reginus

Reginus sniffs at the dusty bookshelves and crowded decorum. Antiquities were all well and good, but what were they worth collecting dust in a tower? Reginus always felt knowledge needed to be applied. Still, Valthrun's description of the Deck of Many Things piqued his interest.

"Chaotic power, you say? The forging of empires? But if I know chaos magic, something beneficial is hardly guaranteed. And if this Deck is so powerful that it has a will of its own..."

Reginus spins the card on a table under his forefinger.
"I don't suppose these cards will simply come to us? No, I imagine others are seeking them out, and if we want this artifact for ourselves, we need to take the lead.

Good sage, can you relate the tale of Gardmore Abbey? And, does this card hold any power whatsoever on its own?"

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

"So all we'd have to do is go out and find another twenty-one of these things, with no idea where they are or who has them?" Nitidus claps his hands together sarcastically. "I don't know about you, Hallie, but I'm not exactly in a rush to go find them. We nearly got crushed just getting this one. Besides, I'm no emperor. And I've heard bad things about this Deck of Many Things before. It's not exactly an easy thing to control, even if we did assemble it..."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zhao the Pursuer

"I doubt such a thing would let us control it even if we had the means. But if the deck can really create empires... or destroy them from the sounds of it, we can't leave the cards laying around where just anyone can find them. That would be a disaster waiting to happen, and not one we could easily run away from.

Sage Valthrun, if we were to locate all of the cards, is there a way to seal them away or destroy them altogether?"

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Valthrun rises from his seat, heading over to one crowded bookshelf, and taking a moment before selecting one particular tome that he clears a space for on his desk. "I may be able to answer all your questions. This is Delacroix's Histories of the Reign of Westling III, and...yes, this is what I'm looking for. The testimony of Regdar, prisoner of the crown. It seems he was at Gardmore and witnessed, first-hand, the particular disaster which befell the abbey. As you may be aware, Gardmore Abbey was a fortified settlement established by the order of Bahamut to serve as a bastion of civilization in the savage north. Within its great walls lay both the monastery itself, as well as Gardmore Village, situated at the bottom of the hill upon which the main abbey grounds still remain. The paladins there studied, trained, and led great crusades against evil for nearly two hundred years.

"This testimony claims that the Deck made its way to the abbey as plunder from one of those crusades, and was secreted away in the great vaults beneath the monastery, guarded by powerful wards to keep its chaos contained. However...hmm. Are you familiar with the Stonemarch invasions? No? A great force of orcs, giants, and demons marched south 150 years ago, laying siege to the abbey. Regdar claims they would have been able to hold against all attackers, fortified as they were, if not for the actions of Havarr of Nenlast, then captain of the knights of Gardmore. It seems he panicked against the siege, turning to the Deck for aid...but the deck had other intentions. Whichever card was drawn by Havarr, it summoned forth a horde of undead from inside the abbey's walls, which, combined with the encircling armies of orcs, was enough to lay low the faithful of Bahamut.

"Westling goes on to press Regdar for information on the whereabouts of the Deck, but the king is dissatisfied when his prisoner refuses to accommodate his ambitions. As best as I can tell from this, it is likely that the majority of the cards are still within the abbey - the wards of the knights tampering with their ability to shift out of existence at will. A few were likely carried away as spoils of war and lost to the ages - but the nature of the Deck means the cards are bound to try and reunite."

He pauses momentarily, considering Zhao's question, before continuing. "Sealing them away would be...inadvisable. You would risk much, and the Deck's chaotic nature is bound to resist such a binding. As for destroying it, such a thing is theoretically possible, though I am not certain how one would go about such a task. There may be answers held within the abbey - I know their archmage's tower held a volume of great lore, the Winterbole Codex, that I would be tremendously grateful to gain the possession of. If you do head to the abbey, and can find this book, I may be able to figure out an answer for you."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Chalinira

Chalinira listened carefully to the story. Wild magic was a fickle and capricious thing, and even when they worked in your favor there was no guarantee that they'd provide you with aid you wanted or needed. It was always best to step lightly when dealing with it.

"From the tale it sounds as though it is possible to seal the Deck, if only for a century. But I suspect that even if we tossed this card into an abyss it would surface again somewhere else. Power always strains against that which limits it.

Though I wonder... if it's capable of seeking itself out when scattered to the ends of the world, just what will it do if it actually feels... threatened?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nitidus

Nitidus wanders around the room, browsing the selection of books while Valthrun talks. He idly leafs through a beautifully illustrated tome ("Histories of the Reign of Wrestling") as the long speech winds to its end, then looks up. "What I am getting out of this fountain of exposition is that this is not an artifact we particularly want to mess with. If it can decapitate an entire order of Paladins, what's it going to do to us? Sure, let's keep it out of evil hands, be the big drat heroes. That's why I'm here. But if we do collect all the cards... what are we supposed to do with it then, if it won't stay sealed away? I'm sure not going to use it."

• Locked thread