Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I will personally hire a French language tutor for Trotz if he'll come coach in Montreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

DyneAvenger posted:

The smackdown

I dream of making a post this cutting, honest, and correct about Montreal.

Good series, man.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Oh my god ahahahah

MAKAVELI is like, I don't know, outsider art or something. His single-minded purpose is alien and fascinating.

It's also good to have a record of the Bruins' diving antics :getin:

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

nobody denies Schneider is probably going to have an elite career

I am not sure about this

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

@SpectorsHockey: In his weekend column, @simmonssteve asks, "Whatever became of Alexander Karpotsev?". He died in the Lokomotiv plane crash, Steve.

Oh my God ahahah that's horrible, it's really really horrible

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Montreal made me proud of them. I would have liked to see them go out on a stronger note, but overall I can't be despondent about that postseason.

Almost every player on the roster had at least one beautiful moment to call their own and for me to remember fondly. There are roster changes I would like to see, and the defense needs meaningful change. Therrien does many things wrong, but I think most of all I'd like to see him have more trust in his rookies.

This is still a team on the upswing. It's a team that has a slew of young guns that are fun to watch, and has a lot of promise.

It was a lot of fun posting with you guys in this postseason.

We'll always have beating Boston.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Dalton Thrower (D) just signed a three-year contract with the Habs. HAS guys who know anything about prospects, gimme a hot take on this.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

evenworse username posted:

Parros also says he's not retiring. Dumbass, retire while your brain is still somewhat non-mushy.

Dog Murray says he wishes he had contributed more to the success of the team. So do I, Dog, so do I.

Weaver says he would love to be back.

Resign Weaver for pennies, good bottom-pairing guy.
Some media guys are proposing Plekanec getting traded for a D-man (:smith:), and also the Habs going hard after Moulson (which would be cool)

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I try to avoid redundancy in thread titles.

Rack 'em

But yeah, thanks for the Cups and all, Guy, but Pacioretty is an excellent player signed to an excellent contract. The prevalence of the notion that "intangibles" are extant and, beyond that, all-important is so obnoxious. On the one hand, I'd be fine if I never heard another half-assed broadcaster puff himself up about "will to win". But on the other, the existence of a great deal of sports media (columns, interviews, predictions, essentially everything but highlight clips and stats pages) is predicated, at the fundamental root of things, on the assumption that some players legitimately WANT 2 WIN more or have more GRIT/DRIVE/HEART than others (there are more tangible characteristics that still don't show up on a stat sheet, but ultimately they can all be traced back to the truly non-observable traits).

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

In other Penguins news, Hulk Hogan fan died today :smith:

RIP the only good Pens fan

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Trevor Bird posted:

let loyalty to a fat old dude ruin your franchise's future.

This is probably a job requirement for management in at least 30% of the teams in the league (for some value of "fat").

e: all sports, not just hockey

e: Also the United States

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

sweet thursday posted:

Yeah but now, even if it was only for a moment of his life, he has to live with the knowledge that at one point he was fired because he sucked and everybody hated him

Realistically, he's probably been living with near-certainty of this for almost a month, and on top of that got to experience being given the run-around by some people he likely trusted

\/\/\/\/

Captain Internet posted:

Less hatred for the kings, it's real weird.

Debatable

Captain Internet posted:

We haven't won since 09.

gently caress you

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 7, 2014

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah that was pretty hosed up. I would have gladly accepted Pierre if only it meant I wouldn't have to hear or see him commentating on games. Also he's probably make a decent GM given his obsession with stalking players.

Knowing where someone went to high school doesn't help you evaluate them at the NHL level, and he's been shown to have some pretty piss-poor reads on prospects. That said I don't think he'd be historically bad, just average-NHL-GM bad. Rutherford is also bad and has a more concrete track record of his badness.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

You think Montreal can pass up the opportunity to have him play for the Habs? Budaj ain't good and the amount of money they would make off Brodeur merch would be obscene and fans love him.

He's worse than Budaj or Tokarski, wants too much money, doesn't fit into the organization. Also I loving hate Brodeur.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Almost all those letters espouse solid management tactics, who's scouting these li'l savants? Unfortunately the young lad who advocated for the signing of MORE VETERANS is probably the only one with a future as a GM

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Bergevin why haven't you signed Subban yet

Are you out there

Are you reading this

Can you hear me Marc Bergevin

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

The Habs are not going to trade Pacioretty. It would be beyond stupid, unless the return was insane. Not gonna happen.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

The Canadians used to get to pick the top two French Canadians in the draft up until I think 73 regardless of their previous year. It was one of the reasons they were able to draft LaFluer, Robinson and two other key contributors to their cup dynasty in one draft.

This gets repeated all the time, and while there is a nugget of truth at the center, it usually gets garbled and comes out as "The Habs literally got to pick every single player they wanted for twenty years which is why they got all the Cups!!!" The truth is somewhat shady but also a lot more clever than this gives the Habs credit for.

For example, Guy Lafleur:

Wikipedia posted:

The Habs' general manager, Sam Pollock, was keen to find a way to trade to obtain the first overall pick in the 1971 amateur draft. He persuaded California Golden Seals owner Charlie Finley to trade the Seals' 1971 first-round pick and François Lacombe in return for Montreal's 1970 first-round pick and veteran Ernie Hicke. However, late in the 1970-71 season the Los Angeles Kings were in last place overall, behind the Seals. The Kings were in danger of "beating" the Seals out for last place, and if this happened Pollock would lose his first overall pick. Pollock traded the aging Ralph Backstrom to the Kings for two players. Backstrom's presence lifted the Kings out of last place, and the Seals finished at the bottom, granting the Habs the first pick. Pollock hesitated between Lafleur and Marcel Dionne, but chose Lafleur with his overall no.1 pick.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

hey HAS, I know it was the playoffs and all, but cheering for the habs was fun, would you mind terribly if I, y'know, stuck with that come October?

Bergevin is a wild card. He tends to stay pat on big stuff (so far) but never underestimate Montreal's ability to do something loving dumb like give awAY A FRANCHISE DEFENSEMAN FOR SCOTT GOMEAHZHAHSD;

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Verviticus posted:

Jason Botchford @botchford · 45m

Benning: never considered a Russian "want to get this team to a meat and potato style"

thats why he passed over scherbak and barbashev, two floaty soft russians who have no heart

Lmao Benning went to the Don Cherry School of Xenophobia and Hockey Analysis

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Well the guy (Nikita Scherbak) that the Habs took in the 1st round this year seems a lot better than last year's Mike "Bad" McCarron, so that's nice. Not ready to throw in the towel on McCarron yet but he seems like he's a long way from NHL-ready.

Captain Geech posted:

I feel like all these "sandpaper" and "meat and potatoes" moves are GMs deliberately ignoring stats in order to prove the old ways work.

lol the Habs traded up to get Brett Lernout, who the scouting report makes sound like Doug Murray 2.0

"Very large intimidating defender who projects as a 6 or 7 who takes advantage of his chances to play by arriving in a bad mood ready to punish the opposition with ever chance."

"There is room for him to get bigger and stronger, and with that his balance and feet may catch up."

Read: he is slow as gently caress, a bad skater, and is going to punch people

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Why the gently caress would Buffalo buy out Ehrhoff, he has been consistently their best Dman since he was signed :psyduck: what the flying gently caress is going on here

EHRHOFF: Open the locker room doors, Tim.
MURRAY: I'm sorry, Christian. I'm afraid I can't do that.
EHRHOFF: What's the problem?
MURRAY: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
EHRHOFF: What are you talking about, Tim?
MURRAY: Drafting McDavid is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I love trades that don't help either team.

In a roundabout way it helps Montreal by essentially forcing Therrien to use Beaulieu and Tinordi all year. Pateryn might even see time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

josh gorges basically cried into a reporter's microphone about how he felt shocked, blindsided, upset, and saddened by the news of him being potentially traded and toronto is STILL DUMB ENOUGH TO TRY TO ACQUIRE HIM. he's had basically a violent full-body reaction to the idea of being a leaf and nobody in the toronto front office is like "ehhh maybe we should look elsewhere"

He's outta Montreal for sure. You can't take him back after something like this. It's like touching a baby bird - its mother will always reject it now.

Dump all salary to make room for Subban and Ehrhoff, tia

• Locked thread