Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Spezza for the first half of the season was a playmaking center that wasn't making plays or playing center. If you can't get him back at a good price, blame the economy & let him walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Leino finishes the season with zero goals in 58 games played.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

fits posted:

And one shootout goal.

To beat the Devils. On April Fools Day.

:allears:

How many rounds did it take for Leino to be the option? Nine?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

gently caress the stars leaving the pacific. Who the gently caress is that ginger gently caress anyway?

That's Cody Eakin, reliable 2/3C & PK2 and our return for Ribeiro. He's getting good, and quick.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Even Van Massenhoven thinks Steve Ott is funny. Luckily for Chicago, he's also a gigantic defensive liability these days.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I think Washington goes back to the hardass coach model in their never ending pendulum and hires Lavy. I don't know where Trotz ends up, the east I'm hoping, because man that guy could win hockey games with AHL rosters on an alarmingly consistent basis.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I very much see Laviolette as the grudge holding type and that sucks because where I'd really like to see him is back in Carolina.

While we're wishing I'd also like a replicator from Star Trek and a six foot tall battlecat.

Levitate posted:

At what point does Washington run out of former players to use as coaches and end up using current players?

Wait, I've figured out how they can get Green off the cap!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Firing Gabby should be something that gets the GM fired immediately.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

He was looking at Sedin's back for at least a second as they both skated towards the boards. As Sedin was stopping at the boards he put his left hand on Sedin's shoulder, and his right hand directly between Sedin's numbers and pushed him head first towards the boards, from behind, using both hands, and from a very dangerous distance.

How is that not a "terrible hit"?

Well I think he turned INTO the hit!

Well I think he was BEING CARELESS!

Well I think the plane is actually in NORTH KOREA!

It's the same by my eyes as it always is. Danny did a poo poo job protecting himself, and Byron should have pulled up way before. So there's no consensus and this goes on for pages.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

And to the "Oh, they waited until it came out there was no injury" talking point, when injuries factor into punishment... yes?

We wanted injury to be part of punishment after hockey punch player. This is the result. I still like it better than the alternative.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Awareness is a responsibility of all players on the ice every bit as much as boarding is a penalty. I don't think that's contentious. Futhermore, I even added a little bit at the end explaining how I saw it!

(If I wanted to be contentious I would say something along the lines of "And I bet if Verne Troyer hit him, his ankle would break)

Fart Amplifier posted:

Factoring injuries into suspensions is stupid, and nobody intelligent would actually want that.

I still do, so I'm stupid I guess! Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will only break Daniel Sedin's hollow bird skeleton.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

I still don't understand what your point is. Should boarding ever be suspendable?

What? Yes! I am assigning some responsibility to both sides, not unilaterally agreeing with you. That's not a personal attack, man.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

Players do not want to hurt other players. This specific instance is someone wanting to hit effectively but doing it in a dangerous manner. Punishing based on the injury will never be effective because people don't intend on causing spinal injury or concussions to other players. Since they don't plan on doing so, suspending based on something they don't plan on doing is ineffective.

90+% of boarding results in no injuries but there is a considerable risk of severe injury or even death. Given that such risk hasn't deterred boarding, the players obviously do not consider the chance of such injury high enough to worry about, and so adding a suspension to such risk in cases of injury will do nothing.

Clearly, to deter boarding and other dangerous behavior, there needs to be a punishment on the dangerous behavior rather than chance injuries that happen after the action taken by the offending player.

I'm not going to act like this is a matter of opinion as it's not. If your goal is to reduce the chance of severe injury or death the only sensible path is to take injury out of the suspension process.

I'm mostly with you until the third paragraph. Since existing suspensions are (Admittedly, very inconsistently) levied on plays that do not injure, doesn't additional punishment in the case of injury act as an additional deterrent?

Edit: We're probably in full agreement that the DoPS drops the ball in cases like this quite frequently.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Botterill & Laviolette would run circles around GMGM and Oates.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Tortarella and the media. Keep this man in hockey forever.

http://deadspin.com/john-tortorella...dium=socialflow

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

nashville is winning the draft lottery so i don't know why you guys are bothering with that simulator

Oh you'll end up with the first overall pick all right, and probably Eberle and Schultz, too.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If your Rocket Richard winner is a liability to your team that's the loving GM's problem

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Pancakes by Mail posted:

I will personally hire a French language tutor for Trotz if he'll come coach in Montreal

I'm pretty sure transferring your life from Nashville to Montreal would give you whiplash. Luckily, it is impossible with him.

a false posted:

how does dater still have a loving job

When getting his player interviews in the summer up at the cabin he brings rolling papers.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

z0331 posted:

You laugh but that poo poo kept working and it was hilarious.

That said, why isn't Oates fired yet?

Isn't Leonsis really bad at firing executives? Maybe he wants to bring in a package deal, and is waiting for more GM's to become available? I don't know, there's no good reason.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

MacLean lost this season before the season started with a system that didn't end up panning out in camp and a roster situation & ownership set cap that wouldn't be easy for any coach in this league to overcome. He made a bad call on his defensive systems this year yeah but I think he's the kind of guy to return to form for sure.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

What do you get for an older, expensive playmaking center that's having trouble finding anyone to make plays with for most of a season? Might as well ride out the deal and keep value, and like was previously stated, big hit less actual money cheap owner.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There was no change in the system from last year (or 2011-12) to this year, and I think it's a fine system that works well for our personnel.

MacLean admitted in an interview during media availability today that they changed their defensive blue line positioning.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

The solution shouldn't be "gently caress possession let's just score off the rush all the time" however

Works in Dallas.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They also said they aren't renewing their contract with Teppo Numminen.

Teppo :negative:

I didn't really have a dog in the Buffalo-management-by-Cuisinart fight before this but if you diss Teppo, you gots to go.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Defensive forwards (Get on it Jim) a more consistent power play (Get on it Curt) and additional development on defense plugs most holes for this team. Kari was leaky but we're probably not finding better unless it's within our organization due to term left on his deal, and if you stop GIVING it to the trailing forward holding the blue line he probably doesn't have to make that save.

Over-extended undersized defense got overexposed and that was a worry coming in; the fact Anaheim made it happen doesn't sting because really it could have been forced earlier.

If there's anything at all to feel bad about, really bad about this offseason it's Gonchar's deal. Wow, that looks hideous now.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Off-season love train inc

(this is my favorite Fiddlerface)

okay I feel better

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

T-Bone posted:

I watched a weird amount of Dallas games this year, what a cool a team. What's the deal with Jack Campbell, did he not play that much for Texas this year because of injuries? How close does Dallas consider him?

He's been running into goalies on hotstreaks every time he ascends a level, this year it was Nihlstorp in front of him. If Dallas doesn't go out to sign a backup he'll probably be given the shot, but on a short leash.

Expect a decent flurry of trades/signings, the only bad contract still on the roster is Gonchar's. I wouldn't mind seeing Fiddler back but I think we're deep enough to replace him if we don't.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jeffrey came in a plain package labelled HOCKEY PLAYER so I'm not upset if he gets claimed but the Mueller one confuses me. Just a gamble to get them in Vs. the Barons I guess.

There's a lot of people on twitter today saying "This silences the Goligoski haters" but if he EVER plays like he did before the olympic break again he's back to being a liability so I'm not sold on that.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Stickarts posted:

The black squares/red flag is the seafarers flag for a hurricane. I know previous generations of Canes jerseys had them wrapped around the bottom/other areas, donno about this season, though.

e. dammit

They don't, and that was the general theme when they were revealed. Need em' back.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Going into the off-season, the Dallas Stars Cowboy Hat.

hnggggg keep it together doomocrat don't let em' see you cry

In other tangential Stars news, Seguin bought Modano's old mansion. I'm just going to picture him constantly calling for explanations on how stuff works Talladega Nights style.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If Couture has played a worse game I haven't seen it. C'mon SJS, I wanted a Chicago/San Jose WCF.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I would have many questions about any goalie that didn't want to break the bank being average to good in the KHL.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Even though it's more through "leadership" than play I like Giroux over Crosby because he put his balls on the table in that media market and ended up following through, and that's pretty goddamn valuable to me. But Crosby will win because holy poo poo production.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'm sure the same place that employs Adrian Dater has a high standard for its hockey writers.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The "They should bring in some cup winners to show em' how its done!" method is bullshit 99% of the time but I don't know what else you do with the Sharks if not that. The other option is happy trails Patty/TMac/Wilson.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

From what I've gathered PK gets most of his reputation as a disrespectful player because his skills really get highlighted in chippy games. Hip checks, dodging hits, passing & shooting through traffic and dancing around anyone who steps to him at the blue line when he does enter the zone himself. Not saying he's bad at the meat and potatoes cutting off passes/positional defense stuff, but that's where I notice him.

Subban's the best.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, he gets his reputation because he punches people a lot.

He popped that Flyer, and Ferrence popped him that one time, and he plays dirty in scrums, are there other examples I'm missing?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kirk's gone?

HI-RE LA-VY *clap clap clapclapclap*

WE'LL TAKE BAR-RY *clap clap clapclapclap*

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

muller isn't exactly a bad coach. i'd happily take him as an assistant in nashville. the connections are there. laviolette + housley and muller is a solid staff.

Muller never had the room in Carolina and whether that's a side effect of the Rod Brind'amour show talking over him (Look who stayed!) or the Staal's never letting him have it, after two seasons with a win now team dropping leads like it's fashionable, the Canes needed SOMETHING.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

shyduck posted:

YEEEEESSSSS

I'm really happy for you, shyduck. Without a hint of snark or irony. Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Dallas Stars assistant coach and "Whew, thank god HE'S gone" Buffalo icon James Patrick has been arrested on accusation of domestic assault after his wife picked up his phone.

http://faceoffviolation.com/dallasdaley/2014/05/07/james-patrick-arrested-accused-domestic-assualt/

• Locked thread