Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This is from last page? But The Glow is awesome and super helpful all the time so chill out goons. It's just a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It's easy up until that one time you get banished and aren't ready for it because that glowing weapon was distortion. If you can take the abyss, it's whatever, but otherwise the reward is pretty small for that risk.

I dunno dude, I've never really had a character that can take Hall of Blades but can't take the first level of the Abyss. This was true, I guess, back when the Abyss was just all one floor, but now it's just a lot of turns of boredom as I get back to the dungeon and kill that stupid hand axe of distortion or whatever.

Hall of Blades has a supremely bad reputation, but it's really no more dangerous than like Elf: 2.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Get rid of gross yellow Orc walls please, they are awful.

Also do the increasingly update rat tile into an actual tiny photo of a rat, that would be great too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My greatest regret is that I can't play a djinn of Qazlal. Being a cloud of fire worshipping the god of fire clouds while spewing flaming clouds all over would've been awesome.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I had a HOGl of Beogh get like 20000 followers so I put them all in Elf 3 to live put their days. And promptly died in Depths.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I can see Lightning on a caster, disintegrate maybe, possibly whatever the bigger damage fire/ice wands are called (flame/frost?)

A lot of wands can one shot you one d:2 or d:3 depending on your combo. And you have no warning until it goes off.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Enemies that buff other enemies presents an interesting tactical challenge. Especially if it's an rF+ sort of deal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
An alternative that I've considered but which likely isn't really viable is to make poison into 'nature' magic and give it Fedhas abilities then remove Fedhas. That creates new problems, but I almost never go Fedhas anyway and he's got a sort of weird niche, so it would be a neat thing IMO, fixing two things I only halfway like and making one thing I really like.

Some people probably really hate that idea, so I'll probably see this in the #badideas not at some point. I just personally dislike both those things as they feel incomplete to me even if both can be used to great effect by skilled players.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Give the poison school necrosis - infections that just eat flesh away, like rapid rotting. Afflicts stat penalties on living beings, or just does damage whatever, damages undead and demons, doesn't affect golems.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Teleport/blink into one of the hallways and hope you survive as you kite around. It's one of the more bullshit things in crawl, since it's more or less necessary, whereas Tomb is specifically a challenge area.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

They would be far, far cooler if instead of a mana-drain thing you actually puppeted around a corpse of your choice. Start out as just vines and weak, kill an enemy, take his corpse as a meatshield of sorts until it runs out of HP because they don't regen.

That would be amazing, but potentially difficult to pull off. Maybe using the code for creating zombies from corpses, no healing without a corpse. But that'd get really really impossible in pan/the hells.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

temptation.jpg.

Minotaur fighter, and I got the current mutations with 1 chunk and 1 potion. I can think of a LOT of ways this could go wrong, and they far outweigh what could go right, especially after getting great stuff like that already. But I had to stop playing and post this because I want to mainline that potion SO BAD.

Do it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kaschei posted:

Those silly idiots that think you should treat monsters capable of distortion as though they were capable of distortion.

Also, it's very important that the "idiot" be implied and not stated, idiot.

Monsters capable of distortion:

Literally any monster with a wielded weapon. Idiot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kaschei posted:

Yes, I agree.

So we agree that it's silly to have banishing enemies potentially appear on d:2, and playing as if 100% of weapon wielding enemies are wielding distortion is more tedious than strategic. Cool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It would actually be very nice for weapons to be visible as any brand, actually! Anyone who happens to be running with -rF, for example, really really wants to know if monsters have flaming weapons-and it doesn't really make sense for a weapon that is on fire or glowing blue with frost to be something your character doesn't notice.

I agree entirely.

Kaschei - Nice attempt at a strawman. I'd be fine if banishment wasn't really a thing until around Vaults. Otherwise it's like a one-hit-death sentence die roll.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Can I complain about something? Getting rid of the 3 upstairs on the first level of branches sucks.

I prefer it actually. It always annoyed me that there weren't 3 entrances to the level, but there were 3 stairs up. Plus I always know where my loot stash is since I can just go to Lair 1 and make crawl find the up stairway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Again since I think it got skipped from being the last post on a page but I think a lot of the problems with Distortion would be easily fixed by making Banishment stopped by Stasis.

That might also make Statis more than niche useful!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Agreed. So far the recent changes have made Crawl way more fun to play but I wish there was an option to toggle the hard number info with regard to spell strength rather than relying on the slightly more ambiguous star system.

I agree. I'm not :spergin: enough to go look it up the way some people do, and the numbers/formulae are available.. so why not just make it an option for people who don't have the time to kaschei their way through the game, but still want to play?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

The numbers are vague precisely so that you don't micromanage your exact power #. This is also true of nutrition and a few other things.

I'd agree that they could be made better, though; weird bonus hidden spellpower for various spells could probably be incorporated into the actual spellpower displays. (Similarly, I'm not a fan of goofy poo poo like "spellpower is irrelevant to the strength of Stoneskin/Ozocubu's Armour/...")

http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=spell%20power

If that is anywhere near accurate then it's not actually kept vague. It's kept vague to people who play more casually, to the benefit of people who micromanage.

If the formula isn't accurate, then someone even moderately dedicated and vaguely skilled at delving into the code could extract it easily enough.. which is yet another thing that someone minmaxing an obscure genre of single player games might do. So yet again, the obfuscation is only applied to those filthy casuals.

If you're going to have a policy, it should be evenly applied to everyone. If it was just in the code I wouldn't really have an issue, but it's literally posted on the crawl info site. Hell, there's a Ruby script given on the page so you don't even have to do anything except know how to use Ruby. There is zero vagueness, except for hidden bonuses which aren't shown to anyone ever, so only fairly dedicated players know their exact effects.. and are able to minmax.

vvv So why keep it vague? vvv

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 19, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

My Djinni halfbreed DsIE.

Not My Leg posted:

What's a good god for a KoHu? I really don't have much experience with hunters outside of Ogres, so I'm a little lost. I'm thinking either Oka, because finesse is always good and ammo gifts would be helpful, or Dith, because Kobolds are already super stealthy and my melee weapon will probably be a short blade anyway.

Oka is the best choice, Dith would also be great, Fedhas, if you know how to use him, is good for hunters from what I hear, but I never figured him out. Trog wouldn't be awful either, berserk is powerful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Do vaults until the ambush, if you have great MR, do 2 levels of Elf. Then clear the ambush, then if you want, clear Elf 3 carefully with as much MR as you can hold.

At least that's how my most successful runs tend to go.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Which is the more contentious topic, mountain dwarves or triple swords?

Bring back MD with a +4 long blades aptitude and racial triple swords.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Oh I agree, spellpower should be hidden and the z? screen should just tell you Magic Dart does 1d5 damage or whatever. But a linear spellpower graph would still be better than the current one because right now I guarantee you most people are just straight-up reading it incorrectly.

I said this and got shouted down by people for suggesting that maybe just an easily interpreted answer would give good information for people who don't sperg enough to run the ruby script that is freely available either in the learndb (or wherever it is) to find out their exact spellpower. So I dunno, a lot of legacy things are just there ~*Because*~ and people like kaschei will rabidly leap to their defence for ~*Reasons*~.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
nvm, misread 'tile' as 'title'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

I find I'm not really using Trog abilities anymore, pretty much ever.

If you aren't doing extended, just spam Trog abilities 24/7. There's no reason not to throw berserked Deep Trolls at anything even remotely scary in Zot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah, post game content is so one note that it's actively detrimental to most characters to not be worshiping TSO/Zin for Pan and the Hells. Do we really need nine demon-centric runes?

This. I know there is a potential Holy level in Pan, but come on why can't we storm the gates of heaven, or at least some sort of actual Holy branch? Or anything that might be different than 'Demon Lord 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I'm a DSGl with a trident and there's a lajatang on the ground on d2. Make the switch?

I would, but I love lajatangs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

Better yet was the guy with 15 runes who ascended w/o the orb, whoops.

I can imagine you rushing up the stairs like a madman, wondering why nothing was getting thrown at you.. only to hit < on the final level door with supreme confidence... and just stare at the screen in horror.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oneof3steves posted:

Someone should make a Ghost Sprint -- randomly pull a player ghost of level 1,2,3, etc.

This is an amazing idea.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

legoman727 posted:

27 LogicNinjas.

LogicNinja would have to survive to level 27 first.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

OK, RCfile edited.

code:
# TEAMMEMBERS ...
1: Wolfechu (yep, same name)
2: Shard1697
3: friendlybee
4:
5:

Let's go be awful together. Maybe I'll get another online win in the next decade.

I win pretty frequently on my travel laptop. :negative: I just don't take my time when I'm at home.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It's
code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN silentsnack
Who I believe was on when I was captain last time together with Wolfechu, friendlybee, and Floodkiller. Didn't realize how similar the team was until just now. :v:
Louise's Loser Lineup, Ilsuiw's Inadequate Interlopers, Asterion's rear end in a top hat Aggregation(Asterion's Anonymous? I think someone already did one of these jokes better), Sojobo's Substandard Squatters, Gastronok's Grungy Gang, Frederick's Fallacious Faction...

I'm not sure I can come up with a better one than the first.

It's also almost the same team as when I was the captain 2 tournaments ago.

What about Gastronok Knockin' on Heaven's Door?

That might be lovely. If so, I'm good with Louise or Sojobo based names.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't know why the main game doesn't take a hint from some of the Sprints.

For example:

Have a new rune called The Bloody Rune or something and have it be an arena. You have to knowingly enter and activate it, and it spawns, say, 27 waves of enemies with only a short break between them and no dropped loot (or little dropped loot) followed by a rune that pops up after the last enemy is dead. Put it after the Hall of Blades to give people a reason to go through there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Right I was aware HoB was removed.. I was suggesting that as a way of bringing it back, to add another rune. Sort of on the level of danger of the 2 random Lair runes or Slime. Previously there was no real reason, as mentioned by apple, it was just a bunch of enchanted weapons. This time it could be a little more fleshed out, and it could have a unique sort of event at the end with the 'arena' where you got a rune. It was just a random one off idea, but people were discussing ways to add/change/modify current runes and stuff like Pan, so it didn't seem out of place.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

All the non-CSZO rcfiles are checked every 4 hours.

How often are CSZO rcfiles checked then?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So how do I get a link to my rcfile so you all can tell me what I did wrong? I can't figure out why I don't show up (friendlybee on cszo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah there is a generic beam and a generic single target spell. I believe it still properly mimics targetted hexes though, which is great for stabbers.

:eng101: When Dith was first made, casting Ensorcelled Hibernation and succeeding could cause your Shadow Sleep to cast and fail, which awoke the target! Since your Shadow Sleep was a weaker power, it failed often on targets with high MR or HD. This was especially fun against hydras and Deep Elf Annihilators.

• Locked thread