Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This looks horrendous. I don't think you can imitate something so particular without it coming across poorly. I saw the first minutes and the score that sounds like the score of the film but without an actual recognizable melody is just like… why.

I was skeptical of it at first. I hate remakes just on principle, especially when they remake a classic like Fargo. And the idea of remaking Fargo into a television show really rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, if I really wanted to watch Fargo again, I would watch the goddamn movie. But I'll check it out with an open mind based on the cast alone. It's hard for me to ignore something with Billy Bob Thornton and Bob Odenkirk in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

When it comes to making dark comedy, there is nobody better in the business than the Coen brothers. But this is the next best thing. They nailed it. Sure, there was nothing really new or groundbreaking about the pilot, but I feel like this is the best imitation anybody could have possibly done of the original Fargo. I was skeptical at first, based on my hatred of remakes, reboots, and retreads (especially when it's a remake of one of my favorite movies ever), but all of my skepticism went right out the window. This was one of the best pilots I've ever seen.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Damo posted:

Also, I'm shocked at the amount of people who have never seen Fargo before, it's one of the best films of the 90s, get on it people!

Yeah, I am really surprised by this as well, especially in a thread about the show that is inspired by the movie. I thought Fargo was one of those movies that just about everybody has seen, but apparently not. I would go so far as to say it is my favorite 90's movie. Better than Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, and Goodfellas. If you liked this pilot, you will love the movie.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

precision posted:

This scene is giving me more of a David Lynch vibe

and I'm loving it.

I had the same thought during that scene, and not just because Milos' head of security kind of looks like David Lynch himself. Everything, right down to the lighting and set pieces screamed David Lynch. This show, at times, feels like a Coen bros. film, and at other times, feels like a modern day Twin Peaks. There is not one thing about this show that I haven't liked so far.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I'm just going to pretend Malvo didn't kill that poor dog, because getting Stavros "The Supermarket King of Minnesota" Milos hooked on Adderall and showering him in blood was awesome. At first I thought the blood was some kind of hallucination from all of the legal meth he had ingested, but nope. I get the feeling that Malvo isn't in this business for the money, but for the thrill of loving with people's lives.

Also, it appears Colin Hanks is a much better actor than he was on Dexter (hello whore). I thought the dialogue in the two scenes with Molly and Gus were excellent, and the acting was spot-on. We gained a lot of insight into who these two people are.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

olin posted:

This is such a weird statement. Obviously the latter offense is much more sinister than the former. People are more important than animals. And the dog probably would've attacked him otherwise.

Oh I fully admit that it's a weird thing to say, and honestly, it's hypocritical. Of course a human life is more valuable IRL. But when it comes to fiction, television and film specifically, I think I, like a lot of people, have become desensitized to human death and violence. Unless it's a character I care about, I don't think twice about seeing a dead body on television, but if it's a dead doggie or kitty cat, I get sad.

drunkill posted:

I think it is actually where Stravos got his fortune from, it is too specific to be just a movie reference, it is framed and sitting in his office, it has got to be part of the story. Even if it is just a nod for fans who have seen the movie and not mentioned again.

Whoa, I didn't even notice that. Even if the events in the movie will have nothing to do with the events in the show (outside of the possibility that Milos found the buried briefcase and built his fortune on it), it's fun to think that both stories took place in the same universe. I agree, that's hard to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Lycus posted:

I totally didn't think they'd explicitly make this a sequel of sorts to the movie, but welp. Surprised me.

It's funny because sometimes when I watched the movie, I wondered what would happen to the money, just as an afterthought. It wasn't buried very deep in the snow and the red ice scraper sticks out like a sore thumb against the snow, so somebody was bound the find it. Now we have the answer!

• Locked thread