Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This new thread sure is something. Something awful!

I'm hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The other day I was on a date and we were talking about James Bond movies. At one point he asked me if Octopussy had a villain with eight vaginas. I think I found a keeper, you guys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CPFortest posted:

I guess I'll rep Blue Velvet as Lynch's best film.

Everything about it is nothing short of delightful.

I like Blue Velvet, but "delightful" is a strange word to describe it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I never said that!

You had your chance.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

The guy seems to be into lots of vagina maybe hes not right for you

But he couldn't resist my charms!

CelticPredator posted:

Bridesmaids is fine. But we have Identity Thief (fuckkkk), The Heat, and now that one movie called Tammy, which is about McCarthy playing a piece of poo poo who robs people...I think anyway.

If she's getting paid well, I guess. But eh. She can do better.

What makes me sad about Melissa McCarthy is that she's one of those fantastic actors who gets nothing but poo poo material.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One thing I will never retract the use of "manipulative" for is soundtracks, because so many movies use dumb, obvious swells to heighten stuff best left up to the viewer. A laugh track is manipulative in an incredibly weird way, not only does it tell you you're supposed to be laughing, but it makes you laugh at stuff that isn't necessarily funny. It's weird, nervous laughter that laughs for you so you don't have to do anything at all.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but it makes me wonder why this is considered cheap in most genres but it's an essential and widely accepted part of horror films.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, horror movies almost get it the worst. Think of how many horror movies you've seen that were loaded with bullshit screeching-string-section musical stings.

Absolutely true, but there are a lot of great examples too. The most referenced one would that scene in Jaws where Hooper is investigating that boat and a dead body pops out. Spielberg himself has often talked about how the musical que was what made that scene work so well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Not according to certain posters here who repeatedly reject my advances.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I thought that meth was the juggalo currency.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I have grown to really hate scares based on the soundtrack making a loud noise. Like I don't mind if something in the movie makes a sudden loud noise but when the soundtrack does it, that just feels like cheating to me. I have also watched enough horror movies that it's not really a suprise anymore becuase I' subconsiensly am always aware when the soundtrack is suddenly getting really quiet.

I was thinking less about jump scares and more about pieces that highlight the atmosphere of the scene. Think of the music they play towards the end of Halloween when Michael is chasing Lori. Or that loud string sound when the flashbulbs go off at the beginning of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

CelticPredator posted:

Right! Those rule.

I love that one scene in Dark Skies too, where the mom walks in on a loving Alien, and it's just that. No sting. Just "Hey Son how are- :stonk:

I actually loved that. The movie itself was really craptacular, but there were a few moments that were brilliant and that was the best.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

After spending four days away from the internet in a giant videogame hugbox, I feel like I have to completely relearn everything I used to know.

Where should I start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Speaking of lovely fandoms, judging by the video description and comments, it looks like MRAs are identifying with Bill Burr. :negative:

EDIT: Not that I think the video ranks among his better or more on-point material.

Also, it may shock some people to know that not everything a standup comedian says on stage is meant seriously.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tonight Neil deGrasse Tyson was talking about an asteroid hitting the Pacific Ocean in 2036 not too far off the coast of California which would cause multiple consecutive typhoons that would wipe out the entire West Coast of the US. He said they've got a solution worked up already but funding hasn't even started, that the government is going to worry about that in the future. :eng101:

Does it involve a team of oil drillers?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surprisingly I've never been to a comic con.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Comic cons can be fun if you're into comics. I'm not really interested in meeting celebrities or seeing movie trailers or that poo poo, but you can meet some neat artists and find some great comics for dirt cheap. The last Boston Comic Con was real fun, I might go again this year.

I heard that they're stepping up their game a bit this year and having coolers guests. Eric Powell will be among them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The guest list this year is certainly stacked, but whether it's significantly better than last year is a matter of preference. Last year had Mike Mignola, Brian Azzarello, Carl Barks, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, Neal Adams, Mark Bagley, Lee Weeks, Erica Henderson, etc.

I'm just hyped about Eric Powell. I've been a huge Goon fan since I was in high school.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah Powell's dope although I haven't read the Goon in many years.

Aragones is easily the guest I find most exciting this year, although I'm kinda over waiting in line to get poo poo signed by people.

I've never actually done that whole thing before, but I'd really like to meet Powell.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

poo poo, Amanda Connor is gonna be there? Goddamnit. Why can't it be in April/May like it used to be :(

Last year when they held it in August they discovered that putting the convention in the summer will bring more people.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Friedpundit posted:

He seems to be doing this 'failure at life' schtick now that's aimed at being self-deprecating but is just really, really sad.

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Professor Clumsy posted:

Well, now I just feel bad for him.

I like that even though he seems severely depressed he still takes the effort to put on that fake voice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I wanted to try and reconcile your post about his put on affectation with his theory that he is indifferent to gay rights, just doesn't like being around them because they are flamboyant and annoying. Alas, I wasn't smart enough to do anything more than just link his hypnotic walking on a treadmill while opining on the gay media agenda video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys-P_ov9Cgs

I find this hilarious because I always thought he seemed like a huge screaming closet case. This doesn't make it any better.

Professor Clumsy posted:

There should be a mod challenge for Dickeye to kiss CPL593H on the mouth for a month.

I reluctantly accept.

I Before E posted:

That's none of our business, though I hope they have a good safeword.

It's "Garth Ennis".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh look, it turns out that the guy who called me a human being in the IRC channel is a homophobic douchebag.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Look at his rap sheet, this isn't new. He was recently banned for calling someone "a friend of the family".

Also, all of his posting always.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman has some bad opinions, but he's hilarious.

DNS is not. and he's also a terrible person apparently, so that's good to know.

Also this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Professor Clumsy posted:

You get really thirsty when you eat it.

Duh, that's why our rascal scooters have jumbo sized cup holders.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Goddamn kids and their goddamn stab parties.

If they get arrested I know the perfect defense attorney for them.

wyoming posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else in this thread reacting well to getting called for their posting, and being met with the peanut gallery comments of "Pretentious" and "Baby", because yeah, that makes this thread a cool place to post about movies and not a refuge for cliquey shitposters or anything.

No one's forcing you to stay.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who also seems to have been absent of late. I'm guessing a murder/suicide pact was involved.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hewlett posted:

He's busy in the Cap 2 thread raking the film over the coals for not fully committing to the radical Marxist revolution a film needs to be good.

Everyone in here needs to go outside more. Myself included.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

Hulu sent me an email being like "Hey, remember that time you gave us money? You should give us money again, here's a week free trial" I've got a week to watch as much Criterion stuff as possible. Of course a couple months ago I used someone's month free trial and I went hard for a couple days and then petered out.

Since A Man Escaped was being discussed on the last page I decided to watch that. It was pretty dope. Just going through the "You May Also Like" list I probably added more films to my queue than I'll have time to watch.

There's a library in the next town over from mine that has all the Criterion Collection discs.

Hulu can suck it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bitcoins? MORE LIKE SHITCOINS!

So anyway. My cousin's nine year old son is here and when I came out into the living room I said "Hey, what are you watching?" he just said, "This.". So I looked at the tv and it was To Wong Foo. And he's really into it. I'm entirely too amused by this. He'd already been watching the movie for like ten minutes and finally says "Are they boys?".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fat Lou posted:

I sold cardboard a couple years ago and bought a bed. It was a good investment.

Was it soaked in panda blood and pope tears or something?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Dickeye's one step ahead of me.

That's embarrassing.

DetoxP posted:

On the topic of dumb things we own that are worth a lot for some reason, y'all kidding if you don't act like you want my The Third Man criterion blu-ray.

But if you have The Man Who Fell to Earth please don't mention it because it will make me sad.

I had that Third Man blu-ray and I sold it for money to buy a guitar. Then the dickhead sold it to someone else. I have the CC Man Who Fell To Earth DVD, but not the blu.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Goddamn it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

effectual posted:

Pedos give gays a bad name, it sucks. :(

Well no, that's not true. The problem is that a lot of dickhead bigots believe that all gay men are pedophiles, when statically it appears that the majority of pedophiles identify as heterosexual. That's aside from the fact that believing that all gay men are pedophiles is obvious bullshit that's fueled by hate.

As for Bryan Singer, I don't know what to make of the whole thing and I hope it's not true. But if it is, then gently caress that guy forever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Well that's not good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ah, here we go

This is less terrible because none of them are sitting in his lap and they all look old enough to be in college.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Beyond sane knolls posted:

On several occasions friends have tried to get me stoned and watch A Haunted House, and each time they do this peculiar, visceral sense of dread takes over my whole being, and I freak out and make such a fuss about it that they turn it off. It also happened when they tried watching The Master of Disguise. I don't know, my stoner paranoia manifests as, like, a fear of bad media. It's kind of embarrassing.

That sounds like an appropriate reaction.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Would the ending of Ghost World count? There's also a quick scene in Tommy Boy that takes place on a bench.

"I could have done without that."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just found a cool imgur album that's behind the scenes photos of Scorsese and Deniro from all of their collaborations. You guys will enjoy this.

http://imgur.com/gallery/3hd9U

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
It took Jackson longer to make Bad Taste than all of the Lord of the Rings films combined. Since the film had basically no budget the shooting was really drawn out and some of the scenes took months to shoot.

It's also the better film by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hahahahahaha. No.

If we are talking about Brainded/Dead Alive, sure.

I appreciate all the craft and artistry involved in making the Lord of the Rings movies, but there's no way I could ever sit through them again. I'm also just really loving sick of anything having to do with Lord of the Rings.

Geekboy posted:

I am walking to what used to be my apartment to watch Lord of the Rings movies with my ex and her 12 year old cousin because I like watching those movies THAT MUCH.

Show them Bad Taste instead.

• Locked thread