Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My best friend, a 110-pound girl, came back to my house tonight the one night we haven't hung out on the weekend in several months, with two swollen black eyes from a random guy backhanding her twice.

I feel helpless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FishBulb posted:

Get it from Stroud's (KC crew knows what I'm talkin about )

I've still never been to Stroud's, I feel like a failure.

Is Go Chicken Go an acceptable substitute?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kramjacks posted:

Well they were only away from the car for like, 1 minute, so it was probably just an assumption that things were they way they left them.

A couple years ago I read a pretty depressing report on kids being left in cars because the parents forgot them in there, and the conclusion was that if you can forget something like your backpack in your car, you can forget your kid.

This? Click only if you want to be really bummed out.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Gabriel Garcia Marquez died, y'all. :smith:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Can you guys help me think of some great park bench scenes for a friend? There are so many that I feel like I don't even notice them - to me it's lazy filmmaking. We've thought of a few but are kind of tapped out.

Close enough?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Am I just an ignorant curmudgeon or is Frozen's animation really subpar?

I was underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My Life to Live is the best Godard (that I've seen anyway), and makes a great double feature with Lea Pool's Set Me Free.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Okay so I haven't watched a new movie in like over a month. First movie suggestion I haven't seen, I'll watch sometime this week. Under three hours, and good faith suggestions please.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I was pretty jazzed about Bears in Heaven until I was informed it wasn't real.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
You ever know anyone in your group of friends who thrives on talking down to everybody else and only manages to include himself by some sort of shared mutual silence about what an rear end in a top hat they are? I gotta get new friends.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Voodoofly posted:

Long movies, like long albums, long plays, long books, etc., are great when they earn that length and use it to the fullest. It is great for creating mood, controlling the pace, and allowing you to dig deeper into the dark corners of the work.

(Most) Blockbusters and comedies, though, should be going for the opposite effect: tight and fast with no waste and no excess. Wire's Pink Flag and Nas' Illmatic should be played in their entirety on alternating mornings every day of the shoot, and then mix in Surfer Rosa and Reign in Blood during post to add even more urgency.

And if they still haven't gotten the message, Minutemen EPs.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Anonymous Robot posted:

Become part of a rainbow warrior's child army today and construct a new earth realm free of cancer :psyduck:

They should team up with the Vivian Girls

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's ya'lls favorite cold blooded ending to a movie? I'm expecting a lot of The Departed and There Will Be Blood answers but mine has become Countdown To Looking Glass.

Killer Joe cold-blooded enough?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

Some years later, Mrs. Ansonia Feathers made the arduous journey to Hodgeman County to visit the last resting place of her only daughter. William Munny had long since disappeared with the children... some said to San Francisco where it was rumored he prospered in dry goods. And there was nothing on the marker to explain to Mrs. Feathers why her only daughter had married a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

Oh man, good call. Unforgiven's bookend cards are perfect. (Unforgiven is perfect.)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

I love that AMC used to advertise it as "the one with the whales."

I missed that episode of Friends

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

This site broke my brain. They have a rubgy shirt where the lines are purposely crooked and uneven. Just look at this loving thing.

My friend's gay cousin owns this exact shirt, hahahahaha.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Me irl

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think the most annoying thing to me is people complaining about the "necessity" of a movie, as if there's a certain threshold of something that suddenly this movie is necessary, as opposed to being unnecessary. How do you even define that?

The movie I've most seen this applied to in recent memory is, of all things, 12 Years a Slave, as if a serious, clear-eyed look at racial injustice was somehow more frivolous than, well, any other movie you saw last year.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Swagger Dagger posted:

Spoilers for 1973.

Literally The Worst posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for spoiling like 30 year old comics for me rear end in a top hat.

This may come as a surprise, but the average person does not give half a gently caress about comic books.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Literally The Worst posted:

I was making a joke because it was a thing that was kinda assumed before the first movie even happened simply because it's a Huge Moment In Comics.

My point is, among us non-comics readers, most of us didn't even know who the hell Gwen Stacy was in the first place. "Huge Moment in Comics" might as well be "Huge Moment in Theoretical Astrophysics."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The new Damon Albarn album is pretty good.

I've never listened to Blur or Gorillaz, I feel like a pleb.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Don't make me post more Jaki.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Spring Breakers 2: The Passion of the Christ, as directed by the dude who made Madonna's "Ray of Light" video, sounds fascinating

terrible, but fascinating

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is Bullet in the Head worth the effort of finding a decent copy? It's the only major John Woo movie I haven't seen, largely because holy poo poo it is hard to find an uncut (or anywhere close to uncut) version of it.

It's a pretty solid movie, but I don't think it stacks up to the first two Better Tomorrow flicks, let alone Hard Boiled or The Killer. Still, most action movies are worse than those four.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
James Cameron Says Future Of Movies Will Be Watching Them Sitting On His Lap

quote:

Industry experts said Cameron’s latest innovation could prove even more popular than Terrence Malick’s attempt to revolutionize the theatrical experience by having audiences sit alone in a completely empty field for weeks on end with no movie playing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Tender Bender posted:

Yup. Is there a film with a better opening/closing scene combo?

The Third Man.

Skwirl posted:

Didn't GBS raise a bunch of money for some school in Haiti?

I think they also raised like $80,000 for cancer research just to spite some goon who was mod challenged. Something like that.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 8, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"Kirsten Supine" from the new Swans album is apparently named after Kirsten Dunst, inspired by her performance in Melancholia. There's a crossover I wasn't expecting.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Insomnia and paranoia are a dangerous mix. I need a movie to take my mind off my own creeping insanity.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

Repulsion.

You're an evil bastard.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxmIousd2L4

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Voodoofly posted:

Speaking of moving musical numbers, what is your opinion on the new Swans album? I've just been waiting for the right time to listen to it, hopefully this weekend sometime.

I haven't pinned it down yet - it's clearly strong, but I couldn't say much beyond. Granted, it took me like a full year for The Seer to go from "This is impressive" to "Holy poo poo I will never stop listening to this album," so I'll probably need at least another month with To Be Kind. It's less focused, groovier, more psychedelic than The Seer. "Just a Little Boy" is already a new favorite, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'ma steal YTOTD cuz I just discovered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYPfOnuf9w

I'm already cracking up, I have to watch the whole thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Tars Tarkas posted:

Weirdo theories that sort of make sense are fun. [...] everyone but Angelica is dead in Rugrats

Wait what the gently caress

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yes, please.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coaaab posted:

Oh these are beautiful:

Cabin in the Woods posted:

It says what it wants to say well enough, but what it wants to say is horseshit

This one is definitely a goon, I remember reading that exact phrase.

edit:

Blue is the Warmest Color posted:

there was a hell of a lot of French in this film

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Not to be all :filez: but you can pretty easily find The Cremaster Cycle floating around the internet. I have no idea what the quality is like but it's out there.

Crispin Glover's It is Fine! Everything is Fine, on the other hand...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Voodoofly posted:

Liquid Swords is the official soundtrack of that movie, and I won't hear otherwise. Honestly, Shogun Assassin was a letdown when I finally saw it solely because no movie could live up to what I had imagined after listening to Liquid Swords for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0vYR3xJWU

I'm that embarrassing white guy you see at stoplights rapping along to the entirety of this song.

Camouflage chameleon, ninjas scalin' your buildin'
No time to grab the gun they already got your wife and children...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best film sword fight is the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The end of Harakiri is the best sword fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm only to the first commercial break on the Mad Men mid-season (ugh gently caress you AMC) finale and poo poo is going doooown. God, this is a great show.

• Locked thread