Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Femshep is a really weird and creepy nickname, that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I already mentioned the dumb rationalization part, but I guess having it fleshed out is nice.

Though to be honest, I am rather tired of the whole evil dicks pretend to just do what is necessary thing. The thought should have died with the hulk incident.

T'Challa was right back then.

If this entire story ends in any other way than the Illuminati realizing their entire approach was wrong-headed and they should've told... everyone... I'll be very surprised.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Necessary evil is still evil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This one time his kid was mad and showed up in a bad and confusing Bendis Avengers story that everyone already forgot. That's about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's going to take some drat fancy payoff to make that page any less stupid than the time Galactus' skull fell out of the sky in the 90s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's mostly surprising because of how Greg Pak made no bones about Hulk being the undisputed champion of punches during his long run with the character, to the point of just barely beating the loving Sentry in an all-out brawl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Did Hulk realize his world breaker potential at the end of Pak's run?

He broke Hell, if I recall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Or maybe Hickman is one of those bands of writers who thinks that Superman should be stronger than the Hulk and able to beat him in a fight.

Does that mean the Hulk would lose in a fight with Venom?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Well, I went on AOL to vote for Sun God to win that fight. :colbert:

I went to vote for Hulk but the strangest thing happened, his numbers actually went down and Kevin Nash's went up by 7.

SirDan3k posted:

The not-JLA were always going to be stronger, impossibly strong in fact, so they'd have enough hubris to they think they can hope their way into fixing the incursion. Ideal circumstances and perfect beings who've never had to compromise themselves for a second of course they think they can fix it.

It'd be a lot more interesting to me if the story had a Night of the Living Dead type twist and the Justice League guys succeeded with ease and solved the entire problem, making the Illuminati look like heartless jackasses.

And then someone sticks some meat hooks into Tony.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 2, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's simple, if he takes a cookie out of the cookie jar I'm going smash the cookie jar and never buy cookies again and everyone will be sad and it'll be HIS FAULT. That doesn't take 30 minutes to explain!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't forget Starbrand punched the earth in its brain and lobotimized it because he's Very Smart.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ex Nihilo is crap at making sentient planets, he didn't even create a mustache for earth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was honestly expecting Namor to be secretly horribly remorseful from killing all those Wakandans and therefore unwilling to kill when this book started, but that was well before I dropped it because Hickman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

If word of the incursions reached say, a Skrull posing as an Avenger, how long do you think it'd be before the alliance from Infinity would try to blow up the Earth?

Good thing the Illuminati are impervious to infiltration!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

That probably even made them more justified in being paranoid about who they tell.

Except for how the point of that entire mini was that keeping things secret and deciding things without consulting anyone left them super vulnerable!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why didn't anyone just move the earth?

Or like, move humanity to Mars? Or anything, really. Literally the only solution they tried was blowing things up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah its just kind of handwaved away because if it was a viable option it would get in the way of the plot.

And now we're getting back to why I dropped the book. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The problem with the morality in Civil War was you had a dozen different writers all writing different takes on the Registration Act. And all of them made it seemed to have different ideas. (JMS was probably the worst when he came to it.)

Oh no my friend, the worst, as usual, was Dan Slott, as he wrote the pro-reg side to be training children to be murderous soldiers and had their R&D department run by a literal nazi. He also had She-Hulk beat the poo poo out of Straw Iron Man while yelling at him about how dumb registration was and how it made him JUST LIKE DR DOOM :godwin:, and he had no counter-arguments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

It's a war nobody wins, "JMS or Slott, who did it worse?"

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let's not forget Jenkins gave us Penance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Yeah. He made a couple appearances since in the afterlife via Secret Warriors and Chaos War, but the most we've gotten is a plot by his evil son to resurrect him. Herc foiled it, which was weird, since the arc treated it like Ares coming back would be this terrible thing.

Greg Pak just completely ignored all of Ares' character development and wrote him as a 60s villain any time he used him. It's part of the weird stubborness that pops up every so often in his writing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Namor is almost always at best a morally grey character if not an outright villain, it's not really difficult to salvage him doing something supervillainish. Also yeah, his horrible crime is not something that actually happens in real life and is problematic to have in a hero's past.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Though Valeria staying with him is all sorts of :3:

That's not the emoticon I would use after Fraction's FF.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

This is why he was not invited by Namor.

You forgot the panel where Doom zaps Namor while making lovely puns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn't read it but I'm sure Doom was justified in doing whatever he did.

He used weird mind control stuff to turn Valeria into Kang the Conqueror's future love slave.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You could argue down to manslaughter.

You're not getting anything less than murder 2, depraved indifference.

:doink:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Denny Crane: It was an accident. The Planet came at me. I feared for my life.

As you can see, the gauntlet does not fit.

Senor Candle posted:

Lurdiak your title cracks me up every time I see it. It's too bad it's paired with such a terrible avatar.

:mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, logically the Marvel earth should have laws about such things since extradimensional beings and aliens were proven to exist decades ago, but that kind of logical societal adaptation to the fantastic elements would make it hard to write really dumb stories about congress being opposed to superheroes so I suppose there isn't a system in place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Black Priests are the PVP covenant you get in Drangleic Keep, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Skull's worn a mask most of the time. He had a real skull face for most of the 90s but that was a temporary situation. For some reason they always make it a real skull face in movie adaptations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No way, a weird nazi in a spooky mask is the coolest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Why did Hyperion have to grow his hair out? He looks like he's on some kind of a phase.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Any time I try to get into the premise at all I just end up realizing how stupid it is to give superheroes a no win scenario that can't be solved without huge moral compromises. Like you know in the first Spider-man movie when the Green Goblin drops that busload of orphans and MJ and tells Spider-man he can only save one? And then Spider-man saves both because he's a superhero? This entire premise is like that on a grander scale, but instead of manning up and doing the impossible, the heroes are just whining at each other about what sacrifices need to be made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My money's on some kind of ridiculous Grant Morrison thing like Hyperion becoming the new center of the multiverse and pushing endlessly against reality, but it's worth it because love.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well the in-comic explanation was that he was, you know, a doctor. With a practice and everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm sad they didn't roll with that and didn't see Logan's reaction.

Just pick any of the thousands of existing panels of him gritting his teeth and pretend it's about that, you'll be in the ballpark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, he takes off his mask and makes the most hilarious kissy face at her. Ultimate Spider-man has always been great, but I honestly think it lost a step when Bagley left.

I couldn't disagree more. Bagley's art was serviceable at best, and the book never felt as alive as it did when Immonen was on it.

Also, Bagley drew Spidey as an anorexic twelve year old girl in the spandex, which you could argue is what a nerdy 15 year old would look like wearing it, but then everyone is surprised he's just a teen when he unmasks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I keep trying to get into Hickman's Avengers, but I just find everyone involved too unlikeable. Why should I care about any of these people? They're just being petty assholes instead of addressing the real problem. Plus the whole 'Illuminati blew up a planet after murdering its superheroes who were looking for another way'. Still having trouble getting over that. I mean it's a well-told story, but I just can't muster up the energy to care.

You should probably stop reading it, then. I stop reading comics I don't like, and it's greatly improved my quality of life. Just because everyone gushes about it doesn't mean you have to force yourself to get into it. Hickman will eventually leave the book when he's done blowing up everything and having Reed Richardses make out with each other, and then you can give Avengers another shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"I've heard of breaking eggs for omelets, but this is ridiculous!" then Spider-man covers Rabum Alal in webs and saves everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's the magic of not giving a poo poo.

• Locked thread