Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hey everyone. Just posting an interesting check to see what people are playing on vassal, and maybe find some people to play with.

I have played 40k, Warmachine (once) and Catan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

A few of us in #badwrongfun have been playing Kings of War using http://www.universalbattle.com/ since there isn't a KoW mod for vassal yet and the WHFB ones have all disappeared (lawyered away I assume). It kind of sucks, so I've been working on a KoW mod of my own.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but hey.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dagon posted:

A few of us in #badwrongfun have been playing Kings of War using http://www.universalbattle.com/ since there isn't a KoW mod for vassal yet and the WHFB ones have all disappeared (lawyered away I assume). It kind of sucks, so I've been working on a KoW mod of my own.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but hey.

I'd play KoW that way.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have not heard of that game but I'll check it out.

I have been interested in playing some form of DBM/DBA/Hordes of Things or anything in that vein.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I tried Vassal 40k once and it was awful, mostly because of unit coherency pixelbitching. I'd still try other stuff though, and I'd had the idea rattling about in my head to take a look at module building for Flames of War.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

I tried Vassal 40k once and it was awful, mostly because of unit coherency pixelbitching. I'd still try other stuff though, and I'd had the idea rattling about in my head to take a look at module building for Flames of War.

Flames of War would be amazing, I have always wanted to play that as well. Some guy was working on a vassal mod a couple years ago, you can try emailing him for his stuff.

http://vassalfow.blogspot.com/?m=1

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I've played X-Wing Miniatures on Vassal a few times in the last few days and it works out really well. The game is very dependent on exact measurements, so having the computer do all the hard work of moving and showing arcs and ranges is actually easier than playing it on tabletop. Also, all the unit stats are straightforward and available through army builders so you don't have to finangle with looking through bookmarks in your Warmachine/Warhammer books every single game.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

MrBims posted:

I've played X-Wing Miniatures on Vassal a few times in the last few days and it works out really well. The game is very dependent on exact measurements, so having the computer do all the hard work of moving and showing arcs and ranges is actually easier than playing it on tabletop. Also, all the unit stats are straightforward and available through army builders so you don't have to finangle with looking through bookmarks in your Warmachine/Warhammer books every single game.

Speaking of flying stuff, does anyone know the game where you have the miniatures of ww2 planes and such, and each turn you play cards to do your movement?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I can imagine WH40k being a huge pain in the rear end (and any miniatures game being a pain in the rear end if you're playing with someone who gives a poo poo whether a model is one pixel too far away or whatever), but the Battlefleet Gothic VASSAL module is amazing. Movement in BFG is dead simple and can be done in pretty discrete steps, so there's not a ton of room for ambiguity. The module itself is also just really great and has ship stats built-in along with markers for critical hits, damage, etc. displayed right on the units.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I can imagine WH40k being a huge pain in the rear end (and any miniatures game being a pain in the rear end if you're playing with someone who gives a poo poo whether a model is one pixel too far away or whatever), but the Battlefleet Gothic VASSAL module is amazing. Movement in BFG is dead simple and can be done in pretty discrete steps, so there's not a ton of room for ambiguity. The module itself is also just really great and has ship stats built-in along with markers for critical hits, damage, etc. displayed right on the units.

I'm down for trying that out.

40k and the like definitely need voice comms to be a successful game.

edit:

It seems like there are some good mods, De Bellis Vassalus and a DBMM one, if anyone is interested in those kinds of games.

I just downloaded all the BFG stuff, so hopefully its not too hard to learn.

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 24, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

X-wing is the only thing I play on vassal

goodness posted:

Speaking of flying stuff, does anyone know the game where you have the miniatures of ww2 planes and such, and each turn you play cards to do your movement?

Wings of Glory

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I tested out my Kings of War mod, and a bunch of stuff is broken, but enough works to get a test game in. Battle reports over here in the mantic thread.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've played a decent amount of Vassal stuff: BSG, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2nd, Letters from Whitechapel, some random bits and pieces modules.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Stelas posted:

I've played a decent amount of Vassal stuff: BSG, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2nd, Letters from Whitechapel, some random bits and pieces modules.

Eldritch Horror and Descent are great, never played on vassal though.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

goodness posted:

I'm down for trying that out.

40k and the like definitely need voice comms to be a successful game.

edit:

It seems like there are some good mods, De Bellis Vassalus and a DBMM one, if anyone is interested in those kinds of games.

I just downloaded all the BFG stuff, so hopefully its not too hard to learn.

I'm up for playing some BFG, I use the original rules and the 2010 FAQ

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
A few of us in the Mantic thread are gonna try playing Dreadball over Vassal. I've tried the module, it works. Anyone in for a Dreadball league?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

A few of us in the Mantic thread are gonna try playing Dreadball over Vassal. I've tried the module, it works. Anyone in for a Dreadball league?

Never played, is it easy to get into?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I haven't played it yet either, but I've read the rules and they seem really easy.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Some guys at my LGS were talking about getting into Vassasl games of Legendary. Also, it seems like a simple miniatures game like Song of Blades and Heroes or any of its different iterations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

jodai posted:

Some guys at my LGS were talking about getting into Vassasl games of Legendary. Also, it seems like a simple miniatures game like Song of Blades and Heroes or any of its different iterations.

Yeah, Song or any Dba/dbmm/hordes should be pretty easy to set up in vassal.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played a few games of summoner wars on vassal. The module is pretty good though it is missing the latest couple of second summoners.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

We've got a spreadsheet filling up in the Mantic thread for a Vassal Dreadball league.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d3a2nwsTm1nVt_3WHfgMV4tUDddlPnjWAOs2abhL3qE/edit?pli=1

Chae
Feb 27, 2008

goodness posted:

Wing of War. The newer edition is called Wings of Glory.

I mainly play Hive and Carcassonne on Vassal, but I reckon I'll give X-Wing a go soon after reading this thread.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I have played Twilight Struggle, Chaos in the Old World and BSG on vassal. Twilight Struggle's module is great and does everything for you. BSG is kind of decent but I wish there was a bit more automation. Chaos in the old world's module was pretty lacklustre but you can definitely play the game with it.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Stelas posted:

I've played a decent amount of Vassal stuff: BSG, Eldritch Horror

Is there a non-:filez: EH Vassal module available? My Google-fu can't uncover one, and with my gaming group all too hectic for evening sessions at the moment, I miss playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Are there any good automated solo Vassal modules?

Or on the flip side, I guess I could find more people to paly with. I have someone on here I play Twilight Struggle and Tash Kalar with, but 1) he hasn't been around for a while and 2) I liked them so much I bought them and play them in real life, so want to try new stuff on it!

• Locked thread