Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Was kind of surprised that a Scarlett Johannsen movie opened in only two theaters in Denver. This makes much more sense after seeing this movie.

Not going to get into a lengthy review because the movie's not worth it. Imagine a 2nd year film school student given access to a legitimate budget and that's what you have here. Intolerably silly and peurile, and not silly in the way a Dumb and Dumber is; moreso in the way that The Room is, just ridiculous nonsense that you can't take seriously for a second.

In all honesty, it would have made for an ok short film -- 20-25 minutes. Not a great one, but a forgettable yet passably entertaining featurette. Blown up to feature length it's simply awful. The tl;dr is, it is an extended metaphor about how hard it is, for some people, to get the whole humanity / society / being an adult thing. If the director had just sat down in a chair at the beginning of the film and said that -- "It's hard for some people to figure out how to integrate into society, but if they don't then bad things happen" -- and the screen went black, that would have been money better spent.

Attended a matinee, 5 other people were in the audience. 2 of them -- so, fully 1/3 of the audience -- walked out.

Perhaps the most damning thing that can be said about the movie is, even a naked Scarlett Johannsen doesn't make it worth going to see. This film is garbage.

e: Forgot to add, Darude - Sandstorm is used unironically.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

As someone who watches nearly zero experimental horror, perhaps there were a lot of "industry standard" tricks in this, but I found a lot of scenes to be really creative at times. Two of the visuals in particular literally made me drop my jaw, which is a fun emotion, I guess. There were some very cool effects throughout the film.

Yep, this sure was a nice for a little festival film... oh... well it turns out they had $13 million... and the rest is mostly bad...

With all that money, it's surprising no one stepped in and told them to ditch the casually bland amateur hour stuff. Nighttime scenes abound, and the film seems to try to emulate the rich textured low light feel of 2004's Collateral, but even with a decade of technical advancement, all they managed was something that just plain looks ugly and flat (and once again, amateur). Scarlett Johannsen's role was light on dialogue, as you could say the story warranted, and she does what she can, but I felt her still very underutilized at best with probably less than a minute total of emotionally active dialogue. The storyline misses the mark badly at points, and the line between artistic and amateur get blurred further.

3/5 if you treat it as a visual effects reel with a cool specific look. Nothing special otherwise.