Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Ask around in the recruitment thread in the Game Room, and don't worry too much about learning the game. Start at level one and work your way up, the learning curve is built into the game's design.

Don't post on the recruitment thread unless you plan to GM! Just look for any games that are recruiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
You could just start a 1e game, but if you need to relearn it I'd point you at a solid retroclone (like Darker Dungeons), a game like Torchbearer which isn't really a retroclone but tries to recapture that old game style with more modern rules, or Dungeon World which is a modern game that is designed to run D&D style games without all the D&D bs.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Also, acknowledge that any PbP game you run will eventually die and probably without any sort of satisfactory resolution. It is a sad truth that we all must face, but accepting it is better than trying to deny it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Also, acknowledge that any PbP game you run will eventually die and probably without any sort of satisfactory resolution. It is a sad truth that we all must face, but accepting it is better than trying to deny it.

I'm 0/4 on PbP games lasting more than a month and a half, myself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Part of what I want is specifically the insanity of 1ed. Reading the old modules is such a treat, I have a huge urge to play some of them again.

Some day soon I will brave the giant wasps and my father's cunning traps and venture into the forgotten tomb that is my parent's attic in search of all my old rpg books, which I really believe are up there. My old copy of Fiends Folio will have a permeant place of honor in the bathroom book rack.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bunnielab posted:

Part of what I want is specifically the insanity of 1ed. Reading the old modules is such a treat, I have a huge urge to play some of them again.

Some day soon I will brave the giant wasps and my father's cunning traps and venture into the forgotten tomb that is my parent's attic in search of all my old rpg books, which I really believe are up there. My old copy of Fiends Folio will have a permeant place of honor in the bathroom book rack.
There's OSRIC, which is the 1e retro clone, cleaned up.

I hear you though. Even as a 4E loving story gaming swine, there's something just fundamentally awesome about 1e. I ran it a few years ago, and it was great fun.

So you might as well run it again, honestly, though I'd check out Dark Dungeons nonetheless.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So today the lead developer of Eclipse Phase, Rob Boyle, issued a statement on his forums that MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) are no longer welcome on his boards or as fans.

On the one hand, I'm not that surprised. The writers always struck me as being very left-wing, or more specifically the kind of left-wing thought which is friendly to new wave feminist stuff.

So, any thoughts on if this will have any further reverberations within the tabletop community? I'm happy that they took a stand; while Posthuman Studios is a small indie publisher, they're a very popular one in recent years, and a lot of game designers (traditional games and not) tend to avoid making statements which might come off as "political."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Libertad! posted:

So today the lead developer of Eclipse Phase, Rob Boyle, issued a statement on his forums that MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) are no longer welcome on his boards or as fans.

On the one hand, I'm not that surprised. The writers always struck me as being very left-wing, or more specifically the kind of left-wing thought which is friendly to new wave feminist stuff.

So, any thoughts on if this will have any further reverberations within the tabletop community? I'm happy that they took a stand; while Posthuman Studios is a small indie publisher, they're a very popular one in recent years, and a lot of game designers (traditional games and not) tend to avoid making statements which might come off as "political."
So far I've only seen two "how dare they not tolerate intolerance!" posts, so that's good.

It's a shame we'll never see something like that from one of the Big Publishers, though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice to see a bigger player (than single indie designers) take this step.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Libertad! posted:

The writers always struck me as being very left-wing

There are left-wing MRAs though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

bunnielab posted:

All of my old games inspire me to want to run this campaign or that campaign, but when it comes to the actual planning stage I always want the system to be about 1/10th as clunky or complicated as it usually is, lest the rules kill the enthusiasm that the basic premise of the game inspired. Kinda funny how my desire for really detailed systems to accomplish this or that function has dwindled along with my ability to spend 7 hours on a single game session.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There are left-wing MRAs though.

Although most MRAs aren't what I'd describe as "conservative" in the Republican sense, they do tend strongly towards right-wing rhetoric (fear of a federal government, complaining about "cultural Marxism," being against "political correctness," etc). Do you mean left-wing in the "Libertarian" sense?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Although most MRAs aren't what I'd describe as "conservative" in the Republican sense, they do tend strongly towards right-wing rhetoric (fear of a federal government, complaining about "cultural Marxism," being against "political correctness," etc). Do you mean left-wing in the "Libertarian" sense?

http://thepigmancometh.com/2011/01/11/the-pigman-cometh-feminism-is-class-war/ :mrapig:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even in a world of awful webcomics that one is particularly poorly produced.

Also his logic about how men's rights advocates should be praised because they are trying to convince men to stop putting such stock on women and to stop giving them so much attention, and thus it makes no sense that their rhetoric would lead to murder ... hmm, where have I heard this logic before about how to stop letting a group of people have prominence and then that group being murdered anyway

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Quarex posted:

Also his logic about how men's rights advocates should be praised because they are trying to convince men to stop putting such stock on women and to stop giving them so much attention, and thus it makes no sense that their rhetoric would lead to murder ... hmm, where have I heard this logic before about how to stop letting a group of people have prominence and then that group being murdered anyway

Not to mention that a society where men don't put women up on pedestals and stop thinking of themselves as worthless unless they're getting laid by women constantly is an end goal of feminism anyway

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So here's something I've always wondered, inspired by some chat in the Feng Shui thread regarding Hong Kong; how do you go about using real-world locales as game settings, especially ones you aren't familiar with?

"Go get some history/travel books" is the blatantly obvious first step, but there's way more information to be found about a city than you're ever really going to need for an RPG campaign so how do you (and by "you" I mean you the specific poster, I'm curious to hear about your own personal approaches) go about all of that and paring it down into something usable and useful? Are there any particular resources you've found to be more helpful than others?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My faith in humanity is bottoming out here, let's go back to talking about bad movies that are also fun to watch.
Knights of Badassdom wasn't good, but it had a couple really funny parts and even the bad stuff wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. Also Peter Dinklage :swoon:

So this Dark Dungeons movie could be pretty funny.

Kai Tave posted:

So here's something I've always wondered, inspired by some chat in the Feng Shui thread regarding Hong Kong; how do you go about using real-world locales as game settings, especially ones you aren't familiar with?

"Go get some history/travel books" is the blatantly obvious first step, but there's way more information to be found about a city than you're ever really going to need for an RPG campaign so how do you (and by "you" I mean you the specific poster, I'm curious to hear about your own personal approaches) go about all of that and paring it down into something usable and useful? Are there any particular resources you've found to be more helpful than others?

I am also curious about this, but with the additional question of: How would you go about finding those little 'local touches' that a resident would know, but that some nerd who has never been there can't really find in a book or online?

Edit:vvv Awesome, I'm gonna look up this dude's books.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I like history and travel reading in general, but one of the tricks is finding an author whose work highlights stuff that is interesting, entertaining and useful. My favorite for this is Tahir Shah, who's done some really great stuff on India, Morocco, Ethiopia and Peru, just to name the ones I can recall off the top of my head. In general, though, I find that it's valuable to look for travel and history books that present a narrative of events rather than just facts. By making a narrative out of history (or, in the case of travel books, of the writer's travels), the author is forced to focus on things that will keep a reader's interest.

Funnily enough, these same things are often the things that PCs will be most interested in.

To pull an example from the author I mentioned, Tahir Shah - his travel book on India, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, focuses on his study under one of the best stage magicians in India, especially a portion where that guy sent him out to talk to the miracle-men of India to learn their tricks. It's a whirlwind tour of Indian con artists, religious leaders, black markets and underclasses, but one of the things that stuck out to me was a set piece he presents - a train renowned for thieves, in which the author is robbed blind by a pair of con artists who pose as travelers warning him about other con artists on the train.

This in and of itself isn't really an adventure, of course, but a train of thieves is a great set piece and one that I wish I had an appropriate game to use it with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I learn a few sights, sounds, and customs. Really, anything more than a Wikipedia article is too much.

After that, I keep it pretty generic.

I'll tell you what, though, like half my prep time for Call of Cthulhu was spent playing with Google Earth.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Thanks Mors, that sounds pretty rad (both the author and the train of thieves).

dwarf74 posted:

I learn a few sights, sounds, and customs. Really, anything more than a Wikipedia article is too much.

After that, I keep it pretty generic.

I'll tell you what, though, like half my prep time for Call of Cthulhu was spent playing with Google Earth.

I agree that you really don't want to just foist a geo-cultural infodump on the players because chances are they'll just tune half that poo poo out. I mean, that goes for purely fictional settings too. I love Eberron but there's no way I'd make players in a game sit down and read the history of the Five Nations before they could play "like D&D but in magical New York City and with robots."

Error404's got the right idea, I think...it's not so much stuff like the precise geographic layout of streets or how old the such-and-such building is but, for example, if your PC party goes from Seattle to Hong Kong then how do you make that pop beyond the equivalent of a title card?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, then I guess it's a good thing nobody's actually saying that. All people are saying is "hey that looks enjoyable".

They had viewing parties for this loving movie though. More than one. :psyduck:

Libertad! posted:

I'm not super fond of Eclipse Phase (it's a cool setting and an okay system but seems fairly hard to actually use) but I'm incredibly happy with this. :unsmith:

More devs need to take a stand against horrible grogs, or this hobby will never get better.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amen, brother

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm not super fond of Eclipse Phase (it's a cool setting and an okay system but seems fairly hard to actually use) but I'm incredibly happy with this. :unsmith:

More devs need to take a stand against horrible grogs, or this hobby will never get better.

Totally agreed. The more designers that people look up to speak out against stuff like this, the more that people will realize that their behavior is lovely and try to change.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Error 404 posted:

I am also curious about this, but with the additional question of: How would you go about finding those little 'local touches' that a resident would know, but that some nerd who has never been there can't really find in a book or online?
This is only going to work if you live in a major multicultural city but you could just ask someone from there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

Oh good, so I am not the only one who spends more time making custom Google Maps than actually doing anything else to prepare for his Cthulhu campaign.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Is roll20 still the preferred VTT? I've been hankering to run a 4e tournament thing for TGR, but want to get my ducks in a row before I do, and I noticed that something called Tabletop Simulator is on Steam now, as is Fantasy Grounds, but I'd rather stick to something free or cheap, and I've had enough connectivity weirdness with MapTools in the past to make that my secondary choice.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

...Google Docs? I tried running a game using it and IRC.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

They had viewing parties for this loving movie though. More than one. :psyduck:

Expressed that sentiment (about more devs needing to take a stand) on twitter, and was a little disappointed by Posthuman's response that they felt conflicted on asking other people to join in since they'd always had their politics fairly "on sleeve."

I really think framing this up as some sort of political debate rather than what it is (speaking out against a hate group) lends more legitimacy to MRAs than is warranted.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNnYkJwSNU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I loving love that video.

"The most powerful information processor in the world...YOUR BRAIN!"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I can't get over his lisp.

"You are thtruck by the thtillneth - the thtillneth of death!"

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Now that Posthuman put their collective foots down on MRAs, Chuck Wendig weighs in on Men's Rights after he got a bunch of hate mail from them when talking about Elliot Rodgers.

In short, he hates MRAs too, but you should read the post. It's great.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 30, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm thinking of running an Adventure Time game and am trying to settle on a system. Apocalypse World fits surprisingly well, but Dungeon World might provide more character options. Any suggestions?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm thinking of running an Adventure Time game and am trying to settle on a system. Apocalypse World fits surprisingly well, but Dungeon World might provide more character options. Any suggestions?

http://bloodghost.tumblr.com/post/28417331911/its-here-after-many-months-the-utterly-complete

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Oh neat. I was considering Gamma World as well. I'm not too keen on running a 4e-style game again, but I'll have to check that out and consider the matter some more.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This just fulfilled:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/305572273/far-away-land-rpg-fantasy-role-playing-and-worldbu

And here's their webpage. Looks like it's on DTRPG.

http://www.faruniverse.com/fal-rpg.html

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Is it any good? When I originally saw it on kickstarter, I thought it was trying too hard.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Is it any good? When I originally saw it on kickstarter, I thought it was trying too hard.
I haven't delved into it too deeply. The system is very, very simple. I don't feel like it's trying too hard, though.

You have 3 stats, either 1 - 2 - 3, or 2 - 2 - 2. The resolution method is rolling that many dice (with maybe a bonus die if you have a skill) then keeping the highest, adding any mods, and comparing it against a target number.

The world seems pretty neat. I mean it's a cartoon world, with some weird stuff, but I don't get the sense that it's shouting LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW ZANY I AM! Instead, it's played fairly straight, from what I can tell.

Keep in mind, I've only skimmed the book so far, but that's my first impression.

It also has a really neat system of mini-games in the Companion which start with all of the players being gods and making a map, then architects who design cities and roads, then Historians. It's a semi-formalized world-building exercise which makes the setting the PCs will adventure in.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Man, that's loving classic. Spoony did a pretty good MST3K riff on this, back when he was decent and didn't do stupid cringe-worthy sketches and hour long video blogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

when he was decent

Top Kek.

• Locked thread