Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Jedit posted:

Nikolai Dante (completely collected in 11 volumes, vol 1 stands alone)
Slaine (start at volume 1)
Judge Dredd Case Files (start at volume 3 or 5, backfill from there)
Rogue Trooper (classic series, vols 1 and 2 only unless you're a real completist)
Button Man (vol 1 only, the others have severely diminishing returns)

You forgot Nemesis and Strontium Dog.

Judge Dredd in America is a really good stand alone about pro-democracy terrorists in Mega City One.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
UKMT:

UKIP if you want to
Proper tea is theft
An Englishman's Home is his Bedsit

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

With the world cup on, how could it be anything other than ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND ?

Acceptable alternative: It's coming home

Wonder how much support for Scottish independence will go up after wall to wall "can England repeat 1966?" (hint: nope) on BBC/ITV/sky.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

chippocrates posted:

Wonder how much support for Scottish independence will go up after wall to wall "can England repeat 1966?" (hint: nope) on BBC/ITV/sky.
It is so pathetic that we're still collectively wallowing in the glory of winning the world cup forty-loving-eight years ago.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zephro posted:

It is so pathetic that we're still collectively wallowing in the glory of winning the world cup forty-loving-eight years ago.

You could have had won again 28 years ago if the Hand of God didn't intervene... :devil:

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Zephro posted:

See also: still thinking the UK is a world power generally.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

chippocrates posted:

I think it was a Telegraph commentator who unironically called for England to fluff the World Cup to preserve the union.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

An Englishman's Home is his Bedsit

"Castle" remains surprisingly descriptive, considering that both castles and English houses are draughty shitboxes that have been standing for far too long :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

twoot posted:

I think it was a Telegraph commentator who unironically called for England to fluff the World Cup to preserve the union.
I went to a lecture by James Naughtie on Scottish independence, he said that England winning the World Cup would be the single biggest thing they could do to guarantee a Yes vote. I'm not sure if he was joking.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
UKMT June: UKIP Macht Frei

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I was reminded earlier today (while listening to Any Answers; forgive me) that UKIP and the Greens are the only parties with any MEPs that have specifically promised to reverse the privatisation of the NHS. The woman who rang in said that's why she voted for them.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Igiari posted:

Quick question for anyone versed in 2000AD, which are the best stories/arcs to pick up? I've mostly been confined to American or Japanese comics and don't have much basis aside from a 100 page pamphlet from 1999 I just read.

Also: anyone know any good books on the British gaming industry? Another topic I'm not versed in (can't even get out of my house in "Hampstead").

Others have made good suggestions of series to get into, but with the better part of 40 years of Thrill-Power behind it Judge Dredd's a really sprawling entity that might seem a bit intimidating to get to grips with. Rather than just shoving a shelf-ful of books at you and telling you to crack on, I think these volumes are the "essential dredd", giving you a broad image of the character compressed into a small number of more easily-digestible volumes.

Complete Case Files Vol. 5

If you're going to get any one Complete Case File, get this one. It's uncanny how out of all of them it's an almost perfect microcosm of Dredd's world in a single volume - kooky stuff like the futsies, supernatural beings like the Dark Judges, thrillers like the Hunters' Club, key appearances Dredd's supporting cast from Anderson to Giant, a whole gamut of Future Crime in the 'crime files' miniseries, some immortal one-liners... and, of course, perhaps the most important "mega-epic" of them all, the Apocalypse War, whose consequences are still reverberating in the modern comic's storylines over thirty years later.

Mandroid

One of the more low-key stories that hasn't really affected anything else in the wider Dreddverse, but no less important because of it. The sterotype is that Dredd is barely more than a robot, a walking citation notepad with no character beyond "The LAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWUUURRRGGGHHH", little more than a cipher for the stories he appears in. Mandroid's bleak, downbeat tale is vital because it gives the lie to this - the vital thing to understand about Dredd is that he's not unemotional, he's controlled and reserved, and that doesn't stop emotion it's just a way of marshalling it. In Mandroid we get to see Dredd at some of his most affectingly emotional moments. Not to say that he's blubbering for an Oscar, but we see him guilty, ashamed, frustrated, sympathetic (even compassionate)... and perhaps most heartbreakingly, disappointed.

The Art of Kenny Who?: The Cam Kennedy Collection

Something outside observers often mistake about the Dreddverse is that it's an entirely bleak black field of dour cynical misery. There are plenty of those types of story, true, but it's important not to forget that Mega-City One is a bright, colourful, outrageous place with all manner of weird and wonderful distractions. This anthology of Thrills drawn by Cam Kennedy (who's also done a number of Star Wars comics) taps into the comic side of Dredd's world, with the classic Kenny Who? trilogy (a would-be Scottish comics supremo finds success hard to find in the cut-throat world of publishing, and amazingly beats Dredd at his own game), and one of the finest one-shot stories ever made, "Block Court".

Total War

It may be blasphemous to say, but if you want to get into Dredd's recurrent Democracy storyline don't start with America. It's a great story, don't get me wrong, but it is a little self-conscious about its own Worthiness, and more importantly a lot of the events lack resonance unless they have a greater experience of Dredd for them to echo off of. I prefer Total War to start off with, in the main because it's just a drat good ripping yarn. Dramatic, tense, dense, pacy, a high-stakes chase that sets off at a sprint right out of the gate. It also deals with a factor often overlooked by outsiders - Dredd's family, with his niece Vienna playing an important role - and while it may not have the the more rigorous commentary of America, it does nonetheless make a very pertinent point against the self-serving foreign donors who "keep the home fires burnin'" for terrorist movements while insulated from the actual pain and blood of the 'good old cause' proper.

Tour of Duty

Dredd is not a blind regurgitator of the Law. He believes - passionately and ardently - in Justice, and has an almost religious faith that it will be fully realised. If the Law does not cohere with Justice, he will fight to change it - and that's tested to the limit in this story, where his principles butt up against high politics and low hatreds. There's a delightful irony where the Judges crack down their jackboots of Liberty and brutal Tolerance onto a population overwhelmingly calling out for oppression and division.

Honourable mention goes to Satan's Island. Deliberate call-backs to The Apocalypse War again show the importance of that event, it's another tense high-stakes drama, and I like it because it has Soviets being savage villains and getting righteously punished for their crimes. :p

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 31, 2014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639177

Sorry for the shittyness... well on the other hand gently caress you :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Never mind saw new thread

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Zephro posted:

I was reminded earlier today (while listening to Any Answers; forgive me) that UKIP and the Greens are the only parties with any MEPs that have specifically promised to reverse the privatisation of the NHS. The woman who rang in said that's why she voted for them.

This isn't true, UKIP want to privatise it

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Do they? I thought they planned on creating a voucher system or something like that so people could opt out and use private services, however the hell that would work? Also something about shrinking the Department of Health and creating/handing power to County Health boards.

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Hola's always worked well for me.
Worth mentioning that I believe Hola is P2P based, i.e can gently caress you up if you have metered upload.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Umiapik posted:

80's Judge Dredd is about as good as it loving gets. Brillantly drawn, hilarious black comedy in every issue. Thatcher was obviously good for something!

I'm starting to think the Tories took Judge Dredd to be a guidebook for the future as approved by Thatcher era politics.

I for one can't wait for LondonMegacity-One to get into full effect. We've already got police with the ability to murder people with no repercussions, so we're already halfway there!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ddraig posted:

I for one can't wait for LondonMegacity-One to get into full effect. We've already got police with the ability to murder people with no repercussions, so we're already halfway there!
At least we'd get some high-density housing at last.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I'm starting to think the Tories took Judge Dredd to be a guidebook for the future as approved by Thatcher era politics.

Brit-Cit thank you very much (and Cal-Hab for the Scots)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Strawman posted:

You forgot Nemesis and Strontium Dog.

Judge Dredd in America is a really good stand alone about pro-democracy terrorists in Mega City One.

Dr & Quinch is pretty awesome.

..and Ballad of Halo Jones obvs

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Strontium Dog owns. Was my favorite comic growing up.

I think my favorite was Kid Knee, who was literally a knee with a face. Good times.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Been reading Hellblazer lately and holy moly does that tear Thatcher to pieces, it's magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bozza posted:

Been reading Hellblazer lately and holy moly does that tear Thatcher to pieces, it's magical.

It's also got its own thread.

• Locked thread