Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Today a new dawn breaks for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Monthly Mega Thread. The left has dominated the discussion for too long and it is time the silent majority let their voices be heard! We don’t need flashy gimmicks, the facts, simply stated, stand for themselves. The great men of the Conservatives Party having made the hard choices and taken the difficult decisions have gotten Great Britain to finally turn the corner!

Unemployment is at its lowest level since the Labour created crisis began (link), employment is at all time high (link), and with fewer people stuck in a lifelong cycle of dependency (link). We have proven that work pays!

With our GDP about to fully recover (link) and set to grow faster than any other G7/EU nation this year (link) vindicates our policy of reducing the structural deficit (link). As a nation we must live within our means!

Hyper-flexible working conditions (link) and a competitive tax regime has made this one of the most attractive places in the world to do business (link) and to live (link). Move over Singapore, UK Plc is back!

Our housing market is growing ever stronger(link) with an exploshion of first time buyers (link), inflation is the lowest it has been in since the labour created crisis (link) and with strong growth in wages (link) we are doing better than ever. The cost of living crisis is over!

Crime is at an all-time low (link) as criminals realise that if caught he will spend longer in jail than ever before (link). It is time we take responsibility for ourselves!

All of this is reflected in the polls as the nation agrees that the best people to run the country is David and George (link).

Here is a link to the failed left-wing threads of old. Long may they be forgotten (link)

Our antipodean cousins have also seen the truth of the matter and their words our worth heading (link)

History’s Greatest Monsters:

Me,
You,
Your mama too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Now that I am finally gainfully employed for more than 16 hours per week, I am happy to say: gently caress you poors, I've got mine. I shall be writing Mr Cameron directly in the morning to request immediate cessation of all benefits of any kind to anyone with less income than myself.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Now that I am finally gainfully employed for more than 16 hours per week, I am happy to say: gently caress you poors, I've got mine. I shall be writing Mr Cameron directly in the morning to request immediate cessation of all benefits of any kind to anyone with less income than myself.

Don't forget to tell him to remit those benefits to you since you've successfully bootstrapped yourself! :)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

This guy on my news feed gets it, loving dirty scroungers.

fake edit: unironically though I'm completely baffled by how stupid people are. What, he wants people in lower paid jobs to pay more tax because...they're obviously in those jobs out of not trying to get a better one hard enough? Way to buy hook, line, and sinker into the government narrative. The guy's a bartender too, so he's hardly John Galt. I honestly find it so deeply sad that neo-liberalism/Thatcherism has worked the divide and conquer angle so successfully, the working classes don't need to be kept in check because they're quite happy to tear each other apart and keep themselves weak. Or maybe he only thinks that because he's an ignorant tool who doesn't actually know what the hell he's talking about. I'll go with that one.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ThomasPaine posted:

fake edit: unironically though I'm completely baffled by how stupid people are. What, he wants people in lower paid jobs to pay more tax because...they're obviously in those jobs out of not trying to get a better one hard enough? Way to buy hook, line, and sinker into the government narrative. The guy's a bartender too, so he's hardly John Galt. I honestly find it so deeply sad that neo-liberalism/Thatcherism has worked the divide and conquer angle so successfully, the working classes don't need to be kept in check because they're quite happy to tear each other apart and keep themselves weak. Or maybe he only thinks that because he's an ignorant tool who doesn't actually know what the hell he's talking about. I'll go with that one.

Well we already know as fact that the biggest influence on a child's education potential is their parents status, and we are for the first time ever seeing retirees outscore school leavers in comparative testing coincidentally when the children of those educated under Thatcherite school reforms are beginning to seep into the current leavers' crop.

So it's pretty easy to get people to swallow your bullshit when you're teaching them from birth that it is actually good for them. Politically motivated education practices are fantastic!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

You should probably suggest to this guy that as a result of HMRC taking one month of exceptional working hours as his standard working hours over the course of the year, he should instead harp at his bosses about getting someone to help him instead of burning out an employee.

But from long experience in bars, his managers are loving him instead of paying out for an extra pair of hands.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I agree completely, there is no point in working hard.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

I agree completely, there is no point in working hard.

Depends what you're working hard at. For example, if you're working hard at dethroning and murdering Micheal Gove, you should continue to labour mightily

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

Fuckin Polyphemus needs to keep his kids under control :bahgawd:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Last night I was introduced to a couple of EDL recruiters, who with a straight face, claimed to be Muslim and disaffected with it, and EDL was the best way to combat it. They also had a printout of that sign about 'muslims don't like dogs, don't walk it in this park'

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 1, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crane Fist posted:

Depends what you're working hard at. For example, if you're working hard at dethroning and murdering Micheal Gove, you should continue to labour mightily

A reminder that those nice gentlemen who represent the Law have been known to read these threads. So however much you hate Gove, and however much he deserves to be hated, let's not advocate his murder.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't have the time to go through all those links in the OP but I'm glad to see things are looking up for you guys. :unsmith:

Carrier
May 12, 2009

It's coming home.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't have the time to go through all those links in the OP but I'm glad to see things are looking up for you guys. :unsmith:

Thanks! Just remember that Britain PLC is always open and ready for business, our national infrastructure is available at low low prices and our incredibly efficient labour policies mean those that other countries might deem too ill or disabled to work are keen and ready to work for youuuuuu!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This cheered me up today.

[img]i.imgur.com/3MKGOra.jpg[/img]

Edit: (sorry, dunno why my img tags aren't working)

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 1, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This cheered me up today.

Edit: (sorry, dunno why my img tags aren't working)
You need the http:// in front of the address. That's a quality pun too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

namesake posted:

Thanks! Just remember that Britain PLC is always open and ready for business, our national infrastructure is available at low low prices and our incredibly efficient labour policies mean those that other countries might deem too ill or disabled to work are keen and ready to work for youuuuuu!

Are the UK's labour policies really all that efficient though? I mean it's certainly better than in the past but can you really compete with bastions of the free market like Thailand? I hope that one day the UK can aspire to the glorious title of "Thailand of the West"! :britain:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It has to have "http://" in front of it now for some reason :iiam:

e/ beaten, but an image worth posting again.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

:thumbsup:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Carrier posted:

It's coming home.

It is. It's coming home.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I must say, it's nice to see the UKMT grow up and recognise some home truths about the world.

If you're not a lefty when you're young, you don't have a heart, if you're not a conservative when you're old, you don't have a brain, etc, etc.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It is. It's coming home.

Well, it's certainly coming.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Ugh I can't believe the disgusting lefty Daily Mail are attacking captains of industry like this fine chap http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-breadline.html

SIMON WALTERS, MAIL ON SUNDAY POLITICAL EDITOR posted:

Newark by-election: Tory candidate Robert Jenrick says that just because he has three homes 'it doesn't mean I don't know about life on the breadline'

Tory Newark by-election candidate Robert Jenrick rejects claims that he has covered up his and his wife’s £5 million property portfolio and £500,000-a-year joint earnings to try to win the Newark seat. Mr Jenrick presents himself as a ‘father, local man, son of a secretary and small businessman and state primary school-educated’ candidate.

In fact, he and American wife Michal own not one, but two, £2 million homes in London and a £1 million country pile built by an 18th Century slave-trader. Their Newark ‘home’ is a rented house obtained when he was picked as a candidate six months ago. And his Party CV omits to say he went to a £13,000-a-year private secondary school. Together with his director’s job at Christie’s auction house, it is just the type of posh Tory boy image Cameron and co can’t shrug off.

Mr Jenrick, who looks even younger than his 32 years, sticks rigidly to his Tory HQ autocue when asked about national issues. During our interview at a cafeteria in Tuxford, near Newark, he is finally stirred when I ask whether, in his keenness to come across as a regular guy, he has misled voters. To win the candidacy, he promised he would move his family lock, stock and barrel to Newark. A 250-mile round-trip to Westminster if he becomes MP – quite a commute for a self-proclaimed family man with two young daughters.

How many nights has the family actually spent in their Newark ‘home?’ ‘Er, it has grown over time.’ He won’t say. His election leaflets are also silent about the couple’s £2 million flat in Marylebone, London. It went up in value by £300,000 last year, more than twice the average price of a home in Newark. Last October, the couple splashed out an extra £2.5 million on a house in fashionable Vincent Square, Westminster, less than a mile from Parliament, which they plan to move into soon.

On top of that they bought Grade I listed Eye Manor in Herefordshire for £1.1 million in 2009. Mr Jenrick says he is ‘almost sure’ they will sell it and move to Newark if he becomes MP. It is to be hoped this interview is not the first Mrs Jenrick, a top commercial lawyer whose professional name is Michal Berkner, eight years Mr Jenrick’s senior, has heard of that. Despite appearances, he says he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and cites his education at 500-year-old independent school Wolverhampton Grammar as proof. ‘There was no way my parents could afford to send me to private school. My grandma Dorothy paid the fees.’ Then why no mention of any of it in his Tory CV? What does he know about life on the breadline? ‘That’s not fair. None of it was inherited or handed on a plate to us. My wife and I have both worked jolly hard,’ he insists. ‘I don’t need to have a disabled daughter to know what it’s like.

‘I don’t need to have lost a child in Afghanistan to meet somebody who has and have empathy and support them.’ He could easily have carried on enjoying ‘earning money and having nice homes’ but sacrificed it all in a bid to become an MP. Come off it, he can afford to because his wife earns approaching half-a-million a year with US law firm Skadden and can pay all the bills. ‘I’m not going to apologise for that. I’m proud of her,’ Mr Jenrick says.

how dare they

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

tory_boy.jpg

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The UKIP manifesto takes shape: scrap the 45p tax rate on income above £150k/year, build a grammar school in every town, and increase the tax-free personal allowance to £12.5k - the amount you'd make by working a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week.

They've also seen a bump in their general election prospects - ~90% of their euro voters now plan to stick with them in 2015, up from ~50% before the euro results came in.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

But what are they going to do about the muslims????????? :happyelf:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's the deal with grammar schools, anyway? I'm not familiar with them or why so many right-wing folks idolise them.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Yeah! This Great Country didnt vote UKIP to hear about economics. We voted for UKIP to kick all the bloody immigrants off this fair island and return it to its BRITISH origins.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Going by their newark candidate, killkicking out the gays is priority #1

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

What's the deal with grammar schools, anyway? I'm not familiar with them or why so many right-wing folks idolise them.

Partly down to nostalgia and partly down to actually working.

Aged 11 you'd do a test, if you were smart off to grammar school you went, if not too normal school for you.

As with all things this had it pros and cons the big one being if you didn't make it to grammar school you were effectively a 3rd class citizen (or so he perception went).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

It's just a school where you have to pass a test to get in. They basically always have an integrated Sixth Form and a lot of them are single sex. I guess the right wing thing is that they tend to have a lower than average number of pupils who qualify for free school meals (i.e., fewer poors).

I went to one and it was widely recognised as the best school in the area with exam results to back it up, although not by that great a margin. It was OK but I'd rather have gone to a school that also had girls at it, unfortunately the only comprehensive in my catchment area was really poo poo.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 1, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

notaspy posted:

Partly down to nostalgia and partly down to actually working.

Aged 11 you'd do a test, if you were smart off to grammar school you went, if not too normal school for you.

As with all things this had it pros and cons the big one being if you didn't make it to grammar school you were effectively a 3rd class citizen (or so he perception went).

Don't forget you could buy a grammar school place if your kid wasn't able* to pass 11+ and you had the cash

e: * The number of 'pass' results was based on the number of places, and thus you could buy your way in which would also guarantee to push a poor out of the bottom of the placement

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

‘There was no way my parents could afford to send me to private school. My grandma Dorothy paid the fees.’
This is The Best Quote.

edit: grammar schools are selective state schools. You take a test at 11 and if you pass you're in.

Some people like them, especially people who benefited from them in the past, because if you were poor and clever they offered you a route out. Some people dislike them because the people who didn't get in were implicitly thrown on a scrapheap and seen as only good for menial jobs, and also because the amount of pressure to pass one exam on which your entire future was riding was enormous.

They used to be much more common, but these days only a few counties still have them (Kent and I think Devon being two that come to mind...)

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 1, 2014

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Has there ever been a general questions thread in DD?

I know this sounds weird, but I couldn't figure where to ask a question about a general thread. The idea for it is from the subforum PSP. They have a general question thread. This might seem irrelevant, but it actually works really well because it tends to focus on Japan for an asian influence, the main American influence, and a heavy dose of Mexico influence.

I could easily see this template applying to DD. Or is it DND and we're ignoring the actual title? Regardless, open question threads are fun. I did do one in TFF (I think? It was forever ago) and people liked it.

But I think it would be a good way to avoid derails. If someone wants to talk about something random and pose a random question, making a questions thread to do it in might help if the idea picks up steam.

PSP thread that has been running since August 2009. Could be a good way to contain the random off dialog. Could take ideas from threads, and then post to the question, or hell, extended discussion thread, and keep the main threads clean. Little enforcement and it could become a very helpful feature.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180956&pagenumber=1

This is the PSP general question thread. As I said, it's been running for nearly 5 years now. I think D(n)D could use a similar vessel. Personally, I have utter confidence that any project like this is way beyond anything I can do, so if someone likes the idea and wants to give it a try, feel free. If not, feel free to ignore me. But I legit think it's a good idea, if it hasn't been done. If it's been done, just ignore me, but I didn't see anything relevant with a cursory glance.

Hell, if you wanna go full circle, call it Derail and Discussion, and after a certain point, you just move the conversation there quoting the person's last post in the other thread. They hyperlink afterall, might as well use it.

I dunno. Debate and Discuss whether the Debate Disco should have a Derail and Discussion thread for extending discussions? Maybe even make them regional to keep Kyiv chat from clogging the discourse of drunk americans wondering if their politicans are gonna sell them out or outright kill them once they come to power.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have no idea why you are asking here. Why not just start the thread and see? PM a mod first if you're really worried.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

cucka posted:

Has there ever been a general questions thread in DD?

I know this sounds weird, but I couldn't figure where to ask a question about a general thread. The idea for it is from the subforum PSP. They have a general question thread. This might seem irrelevant, but it actually works really well because it tends to focus on Japan for an asian influence, the main American influence, and a heavy dose of Mexico influence.

I could easily see this template applying to DD. Or is it DND and we're ignoring the actual title? Regardless, open question threads are fun. I did do one in TFF (I think? It was forever ago) and people liked it.

But I think it would be a good way to avoid derails. If someone wants to talk about something random and pose a random question, making a questions thread to do it in might help if the idea picks up steam.

PSP thread that has been running since August 2009. Could be a good way to contain the random off dialog. Could take ideas from threads, and then post to the question, or hell, extended discussion thread, and keep the main threads clean. Little enforcement and it could become a very helpful feature.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180956&pagenumber=1

This is the PSP general question thread. As I said, it's been running for nearly 5 years now. I think D(n)D could use a similar vessel. Personally, I have utter confidence that any project like this is way beyond anything I can do, so if someone likes the idea and wants to give it a try, feel free. If not, feel free to ignore me. But I legit think it's a good idea, if it hasn't been done. If it's been done, just ignore me, but I didn't see anything relevant with a cursory glance.

Hell, if you wanna go full circle, call it Derail and Discussion, and after a certain point, you just move the conversation there quoting the person's last post in the other thread. They hyperlink afterall, might as well use it.

I dunno. Debate and Discuss whether the Debate Disco should have a Derail and Discussion thread for extending discussions? Maybe even make them regional to keep Kyiv chat from clogging the discourse of drunk americans wondering if their politicans are gonna sell them out or outright kill them once they come to power.

No.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
One thing you have to remember when people like farage bring up the 'good old days' of grammar schools is that they're NOT talking about the basic concept of a grammar school - we still have those today (although the majority are private only), so we don't need to 'go back' to them, and academies/free-schools theoretically have all the freedom that post-'Education Act of 1976' grammar schools have had.

What they're referring to is the old Tripartite system as established by the Butler Act in 1944, which split education into 3 levels:

Grammar Schools (aka 'Toff' schools)

Secondary Technical Schools (focused on STEM subject mostly)

Secondary Modern Schools (focused on city & guilds qualifications mostly)

Grammar schools only had to provide 25% of placements to state funded children, although the act stated 25-50%, which meant in practice they could allocate 50% of places to paid placement, 25% to state funded, and 'sell' the remaining 25% of places to state-funded 'failed 11+'.

It's interesting to note that this system allowed for situations where your kid passed his/her 11+ on first blush, but was then rejected as the 25% of floating allocations was bought into by more affluent middle class parents.

IIRC the cost to buy in was somewhere around £5000, not a large sounding sum, but in the 60s and early 70s, it was pretty much a year's salary for the average working class.

Throughout the 60s and 70s the majority of Secondary Technical & Secondary Moderns merged into simple 'secondary' schools, which is what most of us will have experienced in the late 70s and 80s.

The argument against the modern system is usually a cover for the real argument - that by integrating all 3 classes into the school system, Johnny Middle-classer has to mingle with the likes of Ralf Thicko and Mohammed Dontspeakenglish, which means that class attention is reduced and thus Johnny and his friend Tarquin (whose parents paid for, and he's a very good influence on Johnny) can't concentrate on their studies.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

Don't forget you could buy a grammar school place if your kid wasn't able* to pass 11+ and you had the cash

e: * The number of 'pass' results was based on the number of places, and thus you could buy your way in which would also guarantee to push a poor out of the bottom of the placement

Don't forget that he affluent could also afford the private tuition that was geared solely to passing the 11+, giving them a further leg up when it came to allocation of places.

Still goes on. Last year towards the end of the summer term I was looking for some simple activities to fill time between class trips and fun stuff, so I dug out a few logical reasoning quizzes. The number of 9yo children who said 'done this with my tutor, sir' was staggering, I told them that they should have no problem and get 100%, then. 9yo's with private tutors prepping them for an entrance exam two years away!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

The argument against the modern system is usually a cover for the real argument - that by integrating all 3 classes into the school system, Johnny Middle-classer has to mingle with the likes of Ralf Thicko and Mohammed Dontspeakenglish, which means that class attention is reduced and thus Johnny and his friend Tarquin (whose parents paid for, and he's a very good influence on Johnny) can't concentrate on their studies.

Which completely ignores the fact that most secondary schools segregate classes on ability for the core subjects (English, maths, science) and some of the others too (MFL). So if you're kid is being distracted by Ralf Thicko, it's because he's Tommy Dumbasbricks.

Parents are deluded as to the ability of their progeny. I've had children, thick as two short planks, whose parents told me to my face that their kid is going to be a lawyer or doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

IN my opinion, the idea of grammar schools, for providing selective education available to everyone, is a good idea. The problem being that grammar schools are too easy to use simply segregate children into ones worth spending time on and those you do not. Although this is probably influenced by the fact my mum pulled me out of my mediocre state school after two years to go to a selective private one instead (which I did enjoy more, and do better at). It just wish others wouldn't have to pay £14,000 per year to get that kind of education.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread