Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You didnt answer me, how would you implement mouse control in this game?

by launching ragnarok.exe obvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, so clearly no one in this thread has played an action RPG before. The extent of the gaming among you guys appears to be binding of Issac. So I can understand how the use of keyboard/mouse might seem really confusing. I don't know how to describe it, but I recommend playing the demo for Diablo III, or there's Path of Exile if you want an idea of how mouse controls would benefit a game like this.

Maybe i'm just missing something, but the idea of no mouse support in a game like this sounds really unplayable to me. All of the old MMORPGs i've played where mouse support was very limited, were a chore to play and very frustrating.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
gently caress off retard

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RottenK posted:

gently caress off retard

lmao relax

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

alright

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RottenK posted:

gently caress off retard

That's a lot of hostility just to blindly defend a Korean MMO.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

I said come in! posted:

That's a lot of hostility just to blindly defend a Korean MMO.

i have no opinion on this game because i have not played it yet and did not see any non-edited gameplay video

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah idk how its hard to imagine a mouse-keyboard control scheme since poo poo like diablo exists

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah idk how its hard to imagine a mouse-keyboard control scheme since poo poo like diablo exists

loving thank you, I actually thought I was starting to go nuts and was missing something super obvious because i'm such a lovely human being.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Okay, so clearly no one in this thread has played an action RPG before. The extent of the gaming among you guys appears to be binding of Issac. So I can understand how the use of keyboard/mouse might seem really confusing. I don't know how to describe it, but I recommend playing the demo for Diablo III, or there's Path of Exile if you want an idea of how mouse controls would benefit a game like this.

Maybe i'm just missing something, but the idea of no mouse support in a game like this sounds really unplayable to me. All of the old MMORPGs i've played where mouse support was very limited, were a chore to play and very frustrating.

If you don't like the Binding of Isaac comparison, how about A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Gauntlet? Wayward Souls came out recently and Hyper Light Drifter had a pretty successful Kickstarter too.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

loving thank you, I actually thought I was starting to go nuts and was missing something super obvious because i'm such a lovely human being.

You're still a lovely human being since you threw a fit because you couldn't imagine an arpg that's not literaly Diablo, hth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd play a diablo clone where you can move with keys and cast in the opposite direction with your mouse. Does diablo do that, or is it still that lovely mouse only ordeal?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

You're still a lovely human being since you threw a fit because you couldn't imagine an arpg that's not literaly Diablo, hth.

Mean while people in this thread are throwing a fit at the idea of an arpg having mouse controls. You're loving absurd if you think i'm actually throwing a fit though.

Arzachel posted:

If you don't like the Binding of Isaac comparison, how about A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Gauntlet? Wayward Souls came out recently and Hyper Light Drifter had a pretty successful Kickstarter too.

None of these are MMOs. They have very simplified menus and no need for anything more then a handful of buttons.

Truga posted:

I'd play a diablo clone where you can move with keys and cast in the opposite direction with your mouse. Does diablo do that, or is it still that lovely mouse only ordeal?

I think the console version is kinda like that. I haven't played that one though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

None of these are MMOs. They have very simplified menus and no need for anything more then a handful of buttons.
You know that menu interaction is done with the mouse, right?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Arzachel posted:

You know that menu interaction is done with the mouse, right?

There's nothing better than having to keep switching controls between actually playing the game and menus. Being inconvenienced is the epitome of the mmo experience, I guess.

Sorry, but he's right. Not having mouse controls is very loving strange. The fact that the devs "couldn't make it work" is also very loving strange.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

You guys do realize if there's keyboard control you can pretty easily map it to a controller with Joy2Key or something like that, if for whatever reason they don't implement controller support. People do it in DFO all the time.

I mean it's not a mouse but if keyboard control REALLY bothers you then it's an alternative.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

cathead posted:

You guys do realize if there's keyboard control you can pretty easily map it to a controller with Joy2Key or something like that, if for whatever reason they don't implement controller support. People do it in DFO all the time.

I mean it's not a mouse but if keyboard control REALLY bothers you then it's an alternative.

Is it really that hard to understand why it's so weird that there's no mouse controls? Is this the twilight zone?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Does diablo have strafing? Like can you shoot at a monster while moving in different directions. Cause if you cant then there goes 1/4 of the classes in the game because everything stemming from archers need that. Most of the classes stemming from mages also have mechanics that are completely unwieldy with a mouse, like the ball abilities that need players to face in a particular direction to hit it in that angle. Things like the formation abilities from one of the warrior classes would also be entirely unwieldy with a mouse.

Honestly the problem is that you are looking at it like an ARPG and not something like a mana or zelda.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Does diablo have strafing? Like can you shoot at a monster while moving in different directions. Cause if you cant then there goes 1/4 of the classes in the game because everything stemming from archers need that. Most of the classes stemming from mages also have mechanics that are completely unwieldy with a mouse, like the ball abilities that need players to face in a particular direction to hit it in that angle. Things like the formation abilities from one of the warrior classes would also be entirely unwieldy with a mouse.

Honestly the problem is that you are looking at it like an ARPG and not something like a mana or zelda.

How do you strafe with the controls they've shown, then? Strafing would require movement with wasd or arrow keys or something and then facing with the mouse. The controls they've shown are up, down, left, right, and z and x for attacking. You can't strafe with that. I don't remember being able to strafe in zelda, either.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

How do you strafe with the controls they've shown, then? Strafing would require movement with wasd or arrow keys or something and then facing with the mouse. The controls they've shown are up, down, left, right, and z and x for attacking. You can't strafe with that. I don't remember being able to strafe in zelda, either.

You can lock into enemies with an archer class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImz4h20GF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCo7sQXHrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NvgYRNE8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImz4h20GF4

Look at the classes and the gameplay and say "Yes this is a diablo like"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Why is there no mouse control in Super Mario World? Why is there no mouse control in Dance Dance Revolution? Why is there no mouse control in Mortal Kombat? Why is ther no mouse control in Touhou?

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 13, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Bauxite posted:

Is it really that hard to understand why it's so weird that there's no mouse controls? Is this the twilight zone?

No? I mean I think it's kind of weird too but I was just offering an alternative suggestion!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can lock into enemies with an archer class.

Look at the classes and the gameplay and say "Yes this is a diablo like"

Nice way to load your question. I've already seen all of the videos for it, because believe it or not I want to play this game too, and I assumed that the mouse is involved somewhere. Like, archer wouldn't have to lock on if you used the mouse to face and moved with wasd. Is it really so hard to understand why someone would assume that and be confused by it not being that way?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

Nice way to load your question. I've already seen all of the videos for it, because believe it or not I want to play this game too, and I assumed that the mouse is involved somewhere. Like, archer wouldn't have to lock on if you used the mouse to face and moved with wasd. Is it really so hard to understand why someone would assume that and be confused by it not being that way?

So you though the mouse was for facing/probably 2 attacks max right? Not like an arpg where you move and attack by clicking poo poo?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mouse control would be very easy for this game to do

but they arent doing that so whatever I guess

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I'd really like to throw a fit with the rest of you guys about this slight against our precious mice but I'll probably just wait to play it to see if the controls are awful or not before endlessly bitching.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So you though the mouse was for facing/probably 2 attacks max right? Not like an arpg where you move and attack by clicking poo poo?

I'll answer with a question: in which way is this game not an ARPG? I'll give you a hint, ARPG =/= diablolike.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

I'll answer with a question: in which way is this game not an ARPG? I'll give you a hint, ARPG =/= diablolike.

Uuhhhh why does this matter?

The people arguing about mouse control specifically mention that the game would work with a point and click type control like diablolikes and RO.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh my god who cares

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Oh my god who cares

Pesterchum posted:

I'd really like to throw a fit with the rest of you guys about this slight against our precious mice but I'll probably just wait to play it to see if the controls are awful or not before endlessly bitching.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pesterchum posted:

Woah now. I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so reasonable.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I'll bet it won't have oculus rift support either, this really grinds my gears. The game in my imagination has rift support and it not having it ruins everything!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

I'll bet it won't have oculus rift support either, this really grinds my gears. The game in my imagination has rift support and it not having it ruins everything!

If I can't see the anime hats in 3D the game is terrible. Get on it, IMCgames!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

If people care half as much about this game as they do about ragnarok online, there will be mouse control third party programs pretty much right away -- as long as there is some in-game advantage to be gained from it.

People have broken the poo poo out of RO's client to the point where the game is barely recognizable, pvp areas are a series of greyscale tiles, key classes are either sprite edited to be gigantic and/or contain blocks of cyan so AHK scripts can be written to "spam x skill on cyan". Every client side restriction you can think of has been circumvented including the ability to freely walk onto other players' cells so most group PVP is two groups of people standing on 4 cells each and spamming enough damage at each other to oneshot a player 2-3 times per second.

So, if this game attracts the same audience you will almost certainly be able to mouse target.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The last mmo I played where you could strafe and aim solely with keyboard was in Infantry and that came out in 1999 but it also had a mouse control mode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
gently caress you mouse havers. Now is the time of our glorious gamepad.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
35 new posts! release d... oh. :yikes:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I think I'm going to play some stupid rear end official Renewal RO off and on for a few days before I get bored or kill myself for playing this game again. Will be rolling a new character. Anyone interested in shooting the poo poo in game while we kill sandmen or whatever?

Ok so apparently they merged servers like 3 times and now I have all 11 characters I've made over the last decade across several servers on Chaos. So weird.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 14, 2015

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

I think I'm going to play some stupid rear end official Renewal RO off and on for a few days before I get bored or kill myself for playing this game again. Will be rolling a new character. Anyone interested in shooting the poo poo in game while we kill sandmen or whatever?

Ok so apparently they merged servers like 3 times and now I have all 11 characters I've made over the last decade across several servers on Chaos. So weird.

Why not a private server? with bearable rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Vier posted:

Why not a private server? with bearable rates.

Any recommendations?

• Locked thread