Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RO will always have a special place in my heart as my first MMO. So many good times that have long since past on what are now considered (rightfully so) horrible mechanics. If they can deliver a modern approach to the game, and the combat seems to be more arpg like, then I wouldnt mind grinding it out for a while for old times sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

This looks really terrible and bad and horrible, much like the OP :clint: Why should I be hyped?

You know how some people are pinning for horrible games that remind them of horrible vanilla wow? Then this is the same but with RO.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nexon is publishing it in korea. I dont know if it'll mean that they'll publish it in US anyways, but it'll still be better than it being published by someone like Gravity.

After Trions bungling of AA, I dont think there are any worthwhile mmo publishers in the states. Its a sad world when Perfect World is probably your best bet, and thats mostly because they leave the developers do whatever they want.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly I love gimmicky classes but drat will this be a nightmare to balance. Im ok with it because RO was horribly inbalanced and I still had a lot of fun in it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Please tell me why nexon being invovled is a bad thing? What did they do wrong to you?

For one they wont even let me play their drat games from where I'm at because they decide to region lock their servers. Despite us being a territory of the US and despite getting better pings/having more bandwidth that some idiot in the middle of dumbfuck nowhere CONUS.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

This is not a nexon problem, this is a legal publisher law problem.

:???:

Surprisingly enough no other MMO I've played has this issue! So im going to blame Nexon on this!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The sprites for all the classes are so goood. drat but we are still missing a thief base class

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

e-Nope

Not only do you need an ID, you need a cellphone too.

e2-Maybe not? I was able to log into the account and finish the questionnaire.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 29, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soundtrack is fantastic, didnt think it was going to be so big in this stage already.

e-Woman Peeling Potatoes has to be the most ironically named track in the soundtrack given that its this heroic folk metal tune.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 15, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the next beta stage is international or something.

The only thing that bothered me from what I saw was how high some cooldowns were. The charge system seem fine but then having to wait 30 seconds for a pretty mainstay skill to come off cooldown was balls.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

This game will probably be:

1. A horrible grind fest.
2. Cash shop
3. Managed terribly

And..I am still super excited for it and will jump in the first chance I get. Like many others, Ragnarok Online was my first MMO as well and even after I made the move to more streamline/accessible/better stuff like WoW, I always missed the charm of RO. Its something I can't quite put my finger on, probably the music, graphics and the griiiiind.

Sign me up for this train wreck.

Well I think cap is like 150 or 200 and you have both a base and job level soooooo...
Apparently you can get over 100 in like a day though and Steparu mentioned that it didnt feel like a grind at all. Cash Shop + Manage Terribly go hand in hand here because Nexon though so expect those to happen in some way.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The market has been evolving recently just at an incredibly slow pace. Its really weird that mechanically and artistically some of the most unique MMOs come from korea but they all share inhuman grind as some of their tenets.

Its getting better though! Newer korean MMOs tend to have really fast leveling in comparison to their older ones and although some have uncapped level limits no healthy person would be able to get to them and even if they do the diminishing gains are so big that its just not worth it. Modern korean MMOs gear upgrade system are also way more forgiving than they were during ROs time. Gear in modern kmmos dont break anymore, they dont even de-level anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still loved it though. Back in 2-2 a lot of the builds people used were set in stone but you'd see a few people gently caress around with unconventional builds that were hilariously effective. I remember a girl in one of our allied guilds used to roll around in an ASPD crusader with spear quicken and a bapho lance with extra luck and she'd break emperiums almost as fast as assassins. Remember the first time she told me to hit her in the pvp zone and being dumbfounded when I couldn't hit her, then she just melted me. This was the time where just about every sader was either holy cross or grand cross.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the next beta phase was going to be international but I dont know.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You still use the mouse for the UI, you just dont use it for combat because of how it works. Its not like they never intended it, they purposely decided to cut it because it didnt work.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its no where near as hectic as binding of isaac but as the game is right now a mouse will literally not add anything.

The camera is fixed. Classes can back strafe and attack while walking in directions. Character movement needs to be more precise than what point and click can do for you because of the nature of some of the enemies attacks. At most all I can think about is wanting to use your left and right click as normal attack and alternate attack/block and you should be able to do that if you really want it using remapping software.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha apparently they want the english release to be out as fast as possible and they are planning on releasing a rushed translation with open text files that players can edit. Basically open sourced translation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know you're trolling but please tell me how you'd implement mouse control in this game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm not trolling? This game sounds like a piece of poo poo, but i'll let you be disappointed on your own.

You didnt answer me, how would you implement mouse control in this game?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Okay, so clearly no one in this thread has played an action RPG before. The extent of the gaming among you guys appears to be binding of Issac. So I can understand how the use of keyboard/mouse might seem really confusing. I don't know how to describe it, but I recommend playing the demo for Diablo III, or there's Path of Exile if you want an idea of how mouse controls would benefit a game like this.

Maybe i'm just missing something, but the idea of no mouse support in a game like this sounds really unplayable to me. All of the old MMORPGs i've played where mouse support was very limited, were a chore to play and very frustrating.

Does diablo have strafing? Like can you shoot at a monster while moving in different directions. Cause if you cant then there goes 1/4 of the classes in the game because everything stemming from archers need that. Most of the classes stemming from mages also have mechanics that are completely unwieldy with a mouse, like the ball abilities that need players to face in a particular direction to hit it in that angle. Things like the formation abilities from one of the warrior classes would also be entirely unwieldy with a mouse.

Honestly the problem is that you are looking at it like an ARPG and not something like a mana or zelda.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

How do you strafe with the controls they've shown, then? Strafing would require movement with wasd or arrow keys or something and then facing with the mouse. The controls they've shown are up, down, left, right, and z and x for attacking. You can't strafe with that. I don't remember being able to strafe in zelda, either.

You can lock into enemies with an archer class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImz4h20GF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCo7sQXHrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NvgYRNE8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImz4h20GF4

Look at the classes and the gameplay and say "Yes this is a diablo like"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

Nice way to load your question. I've already seen all of the videos for it, because believe it or not I want to play this game too, and I assumed that the mouse is involved somewhere. Like, archer wouldn't have to lock on if you used the mouse to face and moved with wasd. Is it really so hard to understand why someone would assume that and be confused by it not being that way?

So you though the mouse was for facing/probably 2 attacks max right? Not like an arpg where you move and attack by clicking poo poo?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

I'll answer with a question: in which way is this game not an ARPG? I'll give you a hint, ARPG =/= diablolike.

Uuhhhh why does this matter?

The people arguing about mouse control specifically mention that the game would work with a point and click type control like diablolikes and RO.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lemonslol posted:

What do I do with this?

If you can read hangul and understand korean you can start working on the crowdsourced translation for the game!

The etc file is npc chatter and mouse over information from what I see while the quest file are the quest texts for the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It was green lit like 10 hours into it so yeah there plenty of people that want the game. The crowd source translation is done but like 1/3 of it sounds like it came out straight from a machine translator. You can tell when some entries were given a lot of though to sound natural and when someone just farted into a translator and c/ped what came out into the text file.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually I went in a few days ago and saw a whole lot more written on the quest side but it looks like they trimmed all the junk entries. The entire item list though looks fine. Quest looks barren now.

There is still plenty of activity but its mostly like 3 dudes doing the heavy editing lifting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They mentioned they wanted to have a english after the second korean one, that was 3 weeks ago. I think they need to work on client stability issues and tuning before they have a beta over here though. Although the translation seems to be going well, enough to get a beta soon over here, the game isn't anywhere near ready to officially release yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

IDs arent as much of an issue as valid phone number. Still if you have a single friend in korea he could hook you up really fast.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stamina allows you to keep running and is particularly important in boss fights. Having no stamina makes you a sitting duck for most attacks and turns bosses from a cakewalk to impossible in some cases.

Its a resource basically, one that is recovered on the field by breaking crystals or by consuming potions bought from NPCs or created by players.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think I remember hearing that you could grind to 100+ in a single weekend during one of the later betas in korea so I dont know what the gently caress.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Earliest alpha was $200 and a lot of goons were suckered into it.

It wasn't until the closed beta that the cheaper packages let you in.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You are locked into your class decisions right?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sometimes flaming rocks fall and kill everyone in the other team. poo poo happens ok, its balanced

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think I remember reading that but its effectively soundtemp given how its like 99% of their signature. We already have the soundtrack and it owns bones

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This beta is going to be unplayable for the first 2 weeks, maybe throughout the entire thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Please no west coast servers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zemyna is prettier but I'm not going to sacrifice 30ms of latency for a goddess waifu

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The first beta had like 15k sign ups so I bet they were expecting like 30k at most.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got in to Zemya as CaoNiMa the cleric, game is fun so far. Lag is bearable, seems the client is trusted a lot and it doesn't influence combat that much. Picking up quests or items from the ground does take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how my healing magic hurts all mater of mobs now and not just undead. Cure is an absolute death zone. Im thinking of just not getting safety zone thing and just maxing cure, heal and deprotect zone.

e- The fps is all over the place. FFXIV gets more stable performance than this right now and this is with a 980ti and a i7 at 4.0ghz. I think its just all the player characters on screen at the time.

Im going to make a g13 profile, the keyboard works well enough but my brain cant parse normal attack and skills being the way they are.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread