Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You know how some people are pinning for horrible games that remind them of horrible vanilla wow? Then this is the same but with RO.

I love horrible games with horrible devs and horrible mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

Aww, hope CBT starts soon so we can get more info. It would be great if there's no NDA!

But I'm too busy playing Maplestory2!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nexon is publishing it in korea. I dont know if it'll mean that they'll publish it in US anyways, but it'll still be better than it being published by someone like Gravity.

After Trions bungling of AA, I dont think there are any worthwhile mmo publishers in the states. Its a sad world when Perfect World is probably your best bet, and thats mostly because they leave the developers do whatever they want.
Gravity is significantly worse than Nexon.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

Wow, look at this Nexon shill. :jerkbag:

With an avatar like that you can't expect anyone to take you seriously!

Just kidding, love you babe. :kimchi:

I'm being serious btw, anything is better than gravity/aeriagames, even a steaming pile of poo poo on the ground

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Postal Parcel posted:

Interested, even if Nexon is involved.

Please tell me why nexon being invovled is a bad thing? What did they do wrong to you?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For one they wont even let me play their drat games from where I'm at because they decide to region lock their servers. Despite us being a territory of the US and despite getting better pings/having more bandwidth that some idiot in the middle of dumbfuck nowhere CONUS.

This is not a nexon problem, this is a legal publisher law problem.

RottenK posted:

Every single person who works at nexon is actually Adolf Hitler.

:???:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Pesterchum posted:

I find the way Nexon monetizes their games to be really, really effective at stopping me from buying just about anything. Still better than if Gravity picked up the game, though.

Nexon's monetisation will be toned down on future games, don't worry!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

pertinent posted:

Didn't they make it illegal, a few years back, for game companies to collect SSNs?

The game copmanies don't touch ssn themself. They use a third party 'approved' verification service where you need to verify both your KSSN and a korean mobile number, which then sends a signed+encrypted "ok" signature to the game company webhook

For example, there is something (i really cant call it a standard, it's terrible and piece of poo poo) called iPIN, run by various places, like credit bureaus, that have all of your personal information. You use this number to verify instead of your kssn, and the credit bureau already can match it to a kssn and lets it pass

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 29, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SoggyGravy posted:

Realistically how long until we would be able to play some version of this game as someone who is based in the US? The class mechanics seem amazing.
do you mean in english, or do you mean in korean with korea servers, but connected from the US

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
22 december

tos.nexon.com

it begins

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
nexon korea is pretty terrible and because more or less of cultural differences all the code they turn out is vulnerability-ridden crap because it's written with "1 person = 1 account and we can prosecute them if they are dicks" in mind

i've never touched dfo so i'm not going to comment on that

out of all the american kmmo publishers, you can't beat nexon though. everything else is just so much worse if it's not self publishing.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Are you sure it's OK to write about nexon kr being that lovely considering toubwork for nexon

If there's a world where saying a team of programmers is crap because they write code that trusts the client, and actually asks the client what their HP is and replicates that server side afterward, I don't want to be in it.

There is way too much trust of the client in KR games. This goes for almost every korean game i've seen; it seems like it's cultural, not restricted to certain companies. It's might be something to do with people just being cheap and not wanting to consume server resources, but this is intolerable and should not be accepted anywhere. Worst practice is trusting the client. Worst practice is assuming every single user can only have one account and one account only, and balancing/designing around that.

I love korean games, but every single one of them effectively is a flaming pile of crap that ends up full of cheaters and botters by launch, much less anything past that. It's unacceptable and nothing will change if everyone just doesn't care about it

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 25, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The anticheat is more or less required by korean law, because it comes with the whole suite for login rootkits too. The founder of hackshield company is also member of south korea parliament/legislature. That probably tells you enough as is.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

in before someone writes a script to take random posts off of twitter and put them in random in-game text files

i fully expect at least one of these to get through if not more

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my favourite southeast asia story

i was playing dota 2 on SEA because usw took a poo poo and the internet was dying that day
some guy on our team went afk to take an order and he was playing while working at jollibee and we could all hear it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
where do i fit in silento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i sell codes 65 euro

• Locked thread