Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:siren:Discord:siren:

What is Tree of Savior?
Tree of Savior is an upcoming MMO in development by IMC Games. It's music is by S.F.A, or Sound Fashion Advisor, which is a group run by the former co-president of soundTemP (More info here, if you're interested). You may remember soundTemP from older games such as Ragnarok Online or Maplestory; in fact, ToS shares more with RO than just some familiar talent behind the music-- some of the dev team that made RO is working on ToS, and they have worked hard to recreate what many found so charming about classic kMMOs.

ToS uses 3D models for its characters and monsters, but they are styled to look like the 2D sprites of old. It's a stylish aesthetic, and it makes the game look great. Each class (and there are many!) gets its own unique costume, and, of course, there are hats. Here are some examples!

DID YOU SAY HATS?

Class System
Tree of Savior claims that it will have 80 classes on release, and while this might not sound believable if you know nothing about the game, in reality it would not be a surprise to see that many (or more!) classes included. Classes in ToS work very differently from classes in your typical RPG: Instead of picking one class and sticking with it, maybe with a choice of branch or two later on, ToS has 4 base classes (Swordsman, Wizard, Archer, and Cleric) with 10 ranks each. Your character has a character level, which determines what kind of gear you can wear and how many stat points you have, and a class level, which determines how many skill points you have and when you can advance to the next rank. You get to pick a new class, or stick with your old one, every 15 class levels.

One interesting mechanic of the class system is the way selecting a new class works. Say you chose Wizard as your base class and have just managed to achieve class level 15 for the first time, opening up your first class advancement. Your options are Pyromancer (circle1), Cryomancer (circle1), or Wizard (circle2). If you choose Pyromancer, you will never again be able to class advance to Cryomancer OR take a second circle of Wizard, no matter how many more class advancements you complete, and vice-versa for choosing Cryomancer or Wizard. Taking a second circle in Wizard basically makes you a Wizard+; it allows you to level up the Wizard skills you already have 5 more times (if you're only first circle in a class you can only get 5 levels in each skill; advancing to the second circle increases the cap for skills you learned in the first circle by 5, the third circle does the same to skills you earned in the first or second circle to their maximum caps of 15 and 10, respectively), and it unlocks some new skills that you would never get access to if you advanced to a different class instead. Taking a rank in Cryomancer will allow you to use new ice-themed skills that a Wizard (circle 2) or Pyromancer would never get access to, and you can, of course, advance to Cryomancer (circle2) or a different class (in this case, Psychokino or Linker) when you unlock your rank 3 class advancement. Every class has 3 circles, each one unlocking new skills and passives (or attributes, as the game calls them) that follow the same theme and allow you to specialize in niches that interest you. Actually, this has been changed! Now, upon reaching a new rank, you can select any class from that rank or ranks below it, even if you have already taken a different class from that class' rank!

Here is a skill builder to help those of you who are still confused: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/ (Probably at least slightly out-of-date at all times.) :thumbsup:

Helpful Tips
  • It's not a bad idea to put all of your stat points at early levels into your primary damage stat, because pots aren't very expensive and killing faster is always helpful.

• BUY ATTRIBUTES! Attributes are passives that enhance or add new effects to your skills. The ones that change the functions of your skills can be toggled on/off, so don't worry about buying something and then not wanting it later!

• Blue flashy monsters give loads of exp! To compare, normal mobs of that level give less than 100 each.

• White/Silver flashy mobs drops loads of silver and items! Gold ones even moreso!

• Do not be confused if a flashy mob did not drop extra items or give extra exp, it was probably debuffed by another player and merely looked the same as a jackpot mob. Disappointing, I know.

• All equipment has a potential stat! This stat determines how many times you can modify or trade that item. An equip loses 1 potential when it's traded, so be mindful and don't use it all up, or you'll find yourself unable to give your old equip to someone else.

• Enhancing only costs silver, and is guaranteed to work on weapons until +5 and armor until +3. Don't worry too much about going past that, though, as items gain a fixed amount of stats per enhance based on their rank. Be aware that if you enhance past the safe limit and fail, your item will have its enhance count reduced by 1 and will lose 1 potential, but if you fail while the item has 0 potential it will explode! Also enhancing weapons past +5 will give twice the attack bonus per enhance it did for each enhance from +1 to +5.

• You can upgrade the gems you find in dungeons or from bosses by feeding them equipment, other gems, or material items. Access the gem upgrade menu by sitting down by pressing "insert" and then pressing "d".

If you have anything to add, post it in the thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01IAG9X6fg

Silento fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Lorem ipsum posted:

I think there was a problem with google translate

Yeah, google translate sucks. :(

The Korean closed beta is supposed to start this summer, so we'll probably get more info soonish. Hopefully someone like Spadow gets in, who will blog about it and/or make videos.

Adam Bowen posted:

Check out this new game inspired by the popular "lovely Anime Grindfest." It's called "lovely Generic Ripoff Anime Grindfest"

Hey, as long as the anime girls are real anime girls it's fine with me. I would expect you'd feel the same way!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The best (and worst) parts of private servers will always be the drama. Grape Squad, never forget!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

More Q&A (in Korean): http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=109604

Hats confirmed!!! :swoon:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Huh. Wouldn't have suspected that they'd release a translation, and thankfully it's definitely understandable if a little bit engrishy.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

This looks really terrible and bad and horrible, much like the OP :clint: Why should I be hyped?

rude. >:|

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Someone translated the latest blog post: http://forum.tree-of-savior.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34

It's great to hear they're already planning on an English release! Hopefully it's not done by the community though...

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I updated the OP. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There are gameplay videos in the new blog post: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/

Holy poo poo those graphics! Those skill mechanics!! That hair fluttering as you move!!! :swoon:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Aww, hope CBT starts soon so we can get more info. It would be great if there's no NDA!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/14/nexon-teases-hyper-universe-with-a-trailer-will-publish-tree-of/

The dream is dead. RIP.

Please save us, Owen Mahoney, you are our only hope. :smithcloud:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nexon is publishing it in korea. I dont know if it'll mean that they'll publish it in US anyways, but it'll still be better than it being published by someone like Gravity.

After Trions bungling of AA, I dont think there are any worthwhile mmo publishers in the states. Its a sad world when Perfect World is probably your best bet, and thats mostly because they leave the developers do whatever they want.

Yeah, I said the same thing about Trion to a friend of mine in IRC. Nexon has been getting better mostly, but their customer service still sucks. I sure hope nothing in ToS is client-side, because :laffo:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Gravity is significantly worse than Nexon.

Wow, look at this Nexon shill. :jerkbag:

With an avatar like that you can't expect anyone to take you seriously!

Just kidding, love you babe. :kimchi:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I was hoping for a date for the beta, but this is cool too. Graphics are still kickass. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

A new interview was posted, the translation is kinda bad but definitely readable.

Some highlights:
[/list]

[*]They're following through on their promise to have 80 classes! 4 Base classes, with 19 subclasses each.

[*]Bosses drop cards that can be used in a myriad of different ways. For example, the Sorcerer class can summon bosses to ride on/fight with by using cards (this class was shown in one of the blog updates, actually). The interview goes on to say that there will be lots of other uses for them too. I sure hope the drop rates aren't bad...

[*]This isn't stated in the interview, but apparently the first Korean beta is coming up in a few weeks! I hope there's no NDA, I want tons of info!

Edit: Whoops, really hosed up that list.

Silento fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 26, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Ground floor.

There doesn't appear to be fishing in this game, so I'm sure the pedos will stay away.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Nexon's monetisation will be toned down on future games, don't worry!

Well, they keep saying this, buuut...

RIP Donxon, may flights of henehoes sing thee to they rest. :pray:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

RottenK posted:

After the devs release enough info, the OP should probably make a new thread. Maybe when the beta starts.

This hype thread got to 3 pages after 7 months. A good opening post with information, gifs and videos would probably help attract a bit more attention than that.

I'll see what I can do, but pretty much all the info released has been in the last 3 months or so. I think the game got a big publicity boost around here from the G-Star video, because it was cool and showed off a bunch of unique classes instead of just some :krad: graphics. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SoggyGravy posted:

Whichever comes first and let's me play without committing international crimes.

Emphatically this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Click this!

drat, soundTEMP does it again! :eyepop:

Reminds me of all the time I spent playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://tos.nexon.com/main/index.aspx

Closed Beta sign-ups will be open from the 29th of December to the 11th of January, results will be out on the 14th of January, and the test servers will be open for certain hours the 15th-18th of January.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Truga posted:

Pretty sure it's partly because the Korean clients of just about any online game I've played come with gestapo grade spyware:airquote:anti-cheat:airquote:, so if you cheat you get banned instantly, in theory. Not saying that makes it in any way better, just probably one of the reasons they can afford doing it?

In the west, getting away with installing spyware is a bit harder these days, so they just don't do it. :v:

Nah, the anti-cheat sucks. It only works out okay (well, I assume it does) in Korea because you need a Korean cellphone number to sign up. You used to need a Korean Social Security number, so yeah. It's not the anti-cheat being good, it's the account sign-up being heavily restricted.

And I kinda have to agree with Bio, after thinking about it-- It's not like I'd rather have Aersia, or gPotato, or NCsoft, or Perfect World, or heaven forbid, Trion! Nexon's biggest problem as of late has been frequent DDoS attacks on the servers, and of course the ever-present customer support issues. But, to be completely honest, they are doing way better than they used to with server down-times and poo poo. Still nowhere near perfect, far from it-- But it's definitely playable.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Not being as bad as the other kmmo publishers is setting the bar so low that you can trip over it. Getting IP blocked without the game getting published in the EU/the EU published client being ages behind and filled with botters is definitely not playable.

But... that's not Nexon NA's fault? It's a licensing issue, and is in fact one more point for Nexon NA in the not-worst-kmmo-publisher race. :cheeky:

I guess this is just another reason USA>Europe!!!! :911:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Nope

Not only do you need an ID, you need a cellphone too.

e2-Maybe not? I was able to log into the account and finish the questionnaire.

He meant that to verify your account, you need a Korean cell-phone number. After running into the same problem with the MS2 closed beta a few days ago, I was expecting this. Oh well, probably wouldn't get into such a limited beta anyways... :smith:

Hope there's no NDA!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Welp, I know what I'm listening to for the next few hours: https://soundcloud.com/spadow/sets/tree-of-savior

Also some pretty loading screens: http://spadow.tumblr.com/post/108079154943

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jackard posted:

Any news on this, then?

If you're asking if it's confirmed that Nexon is the NA publisher, the answer is no. But they are the KR publisher and I doubt they'd give this game up to some other company in NA. NA Nexon actually had an increase in profit change year over year this past quarter, so yeah.

Here's a source for the financial info, with a lot more details: http://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/nKx5/ChgD/Ovq1.pdf
Excuse me if I described it wrong, I don't know anything about investments. :cheeky:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Superior Coreagame's are better than oegug-in trash.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

brizzley posted:

I started RO again (private server) because of hearing about TOS.

I'm actually way into it more than I was before because I'm an adult now versus haven't gone through puberty. I love all the formulas for different things and the diversity in what you can do with your equipment with all the available cards and new equipment is just amazing. It's a great game and it has aged well (if you're on a private server). RO2 was horrible though. Hopefully TOS will be a different, but just as charming game as RO was.

RO was a miracle. The designers had no idea what they were doing, but it turned out to be just the right kind of terrible to be great. I think the best designed system is the stats system--each stat has unique characteristics, and there's situations you would want each of them (even luk!) on most classes. A lot of games have very basic stat systems, which is a waste of a perfectly good customization area IMO. Hopefully ToS's system will be as good as RO's.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Truga posted:

Stats are a double edged sword. I really really love them (if you want something a little more modern with stat builds, check out dungeons and dragons online, it's really build-friendly and has fun dungeons after the first couple levels), and they make any game triple the fun when you're screwing about with them.

But, stats also throw any resemblance of balance out the window. A 186+ aspd agi knight or a dodge wizard are lots of fun to play imo, but holy poo poo you'll get laughed at by everyone not playing one because it's "not optimal for anything". Enjoy not getting into any group based activity :v:

RIP autocast Prof. :smith:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It didn't look so bad from what I saw, but only time will tell.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I like keyboard controls V:shobon:V

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

lemonslol posted:

Too many people play on too many different shards. Then we all quit after a month, and then we start in again in another 8

The system works!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Oh my god who cares

Pesterchum posted:

I'd really like to throw a fit with the rest of you guys about this slight against our precious mice but I'll probably just wait to play it to see if the controls are awful or not before endlessly bitching.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

I'll bet it won't have oculus rift support either, this really grinds my gears. The game in my imagination has rift support and it not having it ruins everything!

If I can't see the anime hats in 3D the game is terrible. Get on it, IMCgames!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

want that bighead spell

That was the stand-out part of the trailer for me, as well.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://tos.vod.nexoncdn.co.kr/skill/wizard/skill_3_6.mp4

Psychokinetic still looking sweet! I think this skill drags monsters to the beam?

There's videos for all the skills on this page, it's in Korean though so it might take a tiny bit of effort to find the class you're looking for: http://info.tos.nexon.com/community/job/list.aspx?page=list

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Maple and DFO for me.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Maple has gotten a lot better. :cheeky:

Also, ToS streams can be found on this meta-page: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Tree%20of%20Savior

There's one going on right now!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Some skills use those targeting circles, but unless you can move them manually, they still use your direction as far as I've seen.

Archers lock on to a target and may then move slowly while firing (they stay facing their targets direction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

still hype!

I'm still a little bit in the dark about how the quests are going to be distributed in this game. I can clearly remember imcgames wanting to avoid the old themepark style, but what ended up happening to the "hidden NPC" idea for things like job change quests? Moreover, what's the point? What's the general feel of the quest system as of now?

Couldn't tell ya, I haven't played the game (obviously) and they said they've worked on the way quests are given since the last beta. Sorry. :shobon:

• Locked thread