Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like the graphics at least. It looks like a remastered version of RO.

blippyblop posted:

Hopefully it will have as many private servers as RO did.

Does anyone even care about these anymore though? The only reason why it really happened was to get around the monthly fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No.Mercy posted:

Is this actually even an MMO or is it an MMO the way that Diablo and Path of Exile are technically MMO's.

The trailer in the OP made me think this was an action RPG, not an MMO. I would much rather this be an action RPG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ahhhhh I really can't wait to play this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SoggyGravy posted:

Is there any timeline yet for when us english-gwai-lo's can enjoy this?

Been wondering this too. Waiting impatiently. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's this I read about not being able to play with the mouse? That ToS is keyboard only? Is that a mistranslation? That sounds awkward to play if true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would have to try it out at least in order to judge it, but that sounds incredibly awkward. Have the developers not played any other video games before? Plenty of games like ToS use keyboard and mouse and it feels natural and easy. You use the mouse to move around and click on enemies. Why not make it play like RO?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Is this even a real question.

At least it has mouse support! A 13 year old Korean MMO has better gameplay support then a modern day MMO is not a good sign.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You still use the mouse for the UI, you just dont use it for combat because of how it works. Its not like they never intended it, they purposely decided to cut it because it didnt work.

I'm interested in how it doesn't work though when there are hundreds of similar RPGs where mouse/keyboard combos for combat work beautifully. Without more info I obviously can't make a judgment call one way or the other, but on paper this sounds really uncomfortable to play.

Does anyone have the default keyboard layout anywhere?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Look up a gameplay video, its Binding of Isaac with 9 directions.

:gonk: That makes it even worse. Keyboards are not good at 9 directional movements. Very inaccurate, very imprecise. I hope controller support is added.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

You might just be freaking out over nothing here, just a hunch.

Nah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha apparently they want the english release to be out as fast as possible and they are planning on releasing a rushed translation with open text files that players can edit. Basically open sourced translation.

This is turning out to be a lazy loving game between this and not knowing how to implement mouse support. I wish I hadn't read anything about this title, the graphics and art style are great, but then I started reading about how the game actually plays, and how lazy the devs are, and ugh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know you're trolling but please tell me how you'd implement mouse control in this game.

I'm not trolling? This game sounds like a piece of poo poo, but i'll let you be disappointed on your own.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, so clearly no one in this thread has played an action RPG before. The extent of the gaming among you guys appears to be binding of Issac. So I can understand how the use of keyboard/mouse might seem really confusing. I don't know how to describe it, but I recommend playing the demo for Diablo III, or there's Path of Exile if you want an idea of how mouse controls would benefit a game like this.

Maybe i'm just missing something, but the idea of no mouse support in a game like this sounds really unplayable to me. All of the old MMORPGs i've played where mouse support was very limited, were a chore to play and very frustrating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RottenK posted:

gently caress off retard

That's a lot of hostility just to blindly defend a Korean MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah idk how its hard to imagine a mouse-keyboard control scheme since poo poo like diablo exists

loving thank you, I actually thought I was starting to go nuts and was missing something super obvious because i'm such a lovely human being.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

You're still a lovely human being since you threw a fit because you couldn't imagine an arpg that's not literaly Diablo, hth.

Mean while people in this thread are throwing a fit at the idea of an arpg having mouse controls. You're loving absurd if you think i'm actually throwing a fit though.

Arzachel posted:

If you don't like the Binding of Isaac comparison, how about A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Gauntlet? Wayward Souls came out recently and Hyper Light Drifter had a pretty successful Kickstarter too.

None of these are MMOs. They have very simplified menus and no need for anything more then a handful of buttons.

Truga posted:

I'd play a diablo clone where you can move with keys and cast in the opposite direction with your mouse. Does diablo do that, or is it still that lovely mouse only ordeal?

I think the console version is kinda like that. I haven't played that one though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hahah holy poo poo, every time I open this thread to check on the status of this game, I read something about it that ends up being comedy gold. What a disaster. The artstyle is still awesome though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silento posted:

Not for international, no. :smith:

I bought a kNexon account and I've been playing the Korean version the last few days, it's fun. I plan on dling Maple2 sometime and trying that too! Totes worth the :10bux: so far!

Do you need a VPN to play?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verbose posted:

So I keep hearing this game is on steam, but I can't find it. Have I been duped? If so, how completely?

It's not on Steam yet. The devs are trying to Green Light it in time for the open beta launch which hasn't started yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

auzuguwu posted:

game will be released on march 22nd
if you pay $50
600TP = $60 = 3 months of premium

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=278

I'll let the suckers get through the issues and figure out if the game is actually good or not. People are a lot more honest when they have to pay money for something, so nothing up until this point has been worth paying attention to. The game will be in a better state by June and those of us who are smart won't have to pay anything for the privilege. Win/Win every single time to just wait it out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank god, hopefully the backlash will cause a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How the cost to players is presented absolutely matters. This is a unique situation in that paying money to play Tree of Savior is only temporary, which in itself is nothing new (plenty of MMOs do this), but by as much as three months is something I have never seen before. This for all intents and purposes a three month long head start even if it is not being called that. Plus on an exclusive server is really odd, although Everquest 2 tried this so it's not a new idea, but let me tell you from experience with that game; it's a lovely idea that is not going to work.

• Locked thread