Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is a stupid election and I hope the NDP pay for it by electing a Liberal majority, at which point Wynne will steal all the NDP's good plays and name every bill the "Laugh at Andrea Horwath Act".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

Hudak is off to a good start! Awkwardly avoiding direct questions about the Ontario Music Fund while standing in a music studio.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1311719/tim-hudak-kicks-off-campaign-with-awkward-photo-op

The best part is the end when they all walk away and the owner of the music studio isn`t really sure if he should follow the politicians or hang around with the media.

Also `woooow.... He`s going to have to do better than that"

Ahahaha this is hilarious. I love how when he realizes that they're not going to stop asking him about it he's just like "Okay bye!" and leaves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Burn everything to the ground.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Colour me utterly unsurprised.

I win the Marxist sweepstakes so far, I'm both further up and further left than you.

It's a shame that in the 'what do you think about the parties and leaders' section there's no question "How much of an idiot do you think this person is?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

With Horwath demanding handouts to car owners and refusing to say who she'll raise taxes on, I'm starting to wonder why the NDP is listed as being further to the economic left than the Liberals.

edit: Right now, not in general.

Probably because in theory and in Horwath's rhetoric they always talk about raising corporate taxes and things like that, they just haven't actually followed through with a coherent policy platform on the subject beyond "Don't tax the middle class!!!" "Leave small business job creators alone!!!" and "Auto insurance caps! ATM fee caps! Energy rebates! POPULISM RARGH!!!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow. I knew it had to happen sometime, but the fact that he managed such a wild Hudakism like three days into the campaign is actually pretty impressive.

I've been saying it forever, but Hudak is electoral poison and I hope the OPC keeps him as leader forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Of course, local governments and local school boards are under provincial control, so it's really more like 1.1 million under provincial control.

But the 236k who work in health are off limits, as are the 25k police officers.

And the 274k who work in local government boards are probably off limits too.

So you're looking at cuts of 100k out of the remaining ~600k employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of this plan is a sizable cut in funding for municipalities that's designed to make them lay people off, making the 274k in local government not necessarily off limits, depending how he's calculating this dreamland number that he just made up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck: How do you create jobs by firing people?

With 100,000 less teachers and civil servants, we will no longer be able to enforce regulations on business, so they can create lots of sweat shop jobs for our newly uneducated workforce to fill, since the option is starving to death because we can also no longer administer social programs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

When I read the title of the new article on the CBC I thought "Wow the CBC are getting really partisan with their headlines." But no, he actually said he'd cut 100 000 public sector jobs.

I don't get it. Hudak went full Republican (never go full Republican) and had to backtrack before the election on Right-To-Work, but now has gone back to wanting to decimate the public sector.

A leopard can't change its spots.

Hudak is a true believer. He legitimately thinks that cutting one fifth of the Ontario public sector would be a good thing for the province. That's why he's electoral poison, because he hasn't learned the lesson to shut up and only say speeches other people have written for him, and when he speaks his mind 75% of the province is repulsed by his actual honest-to-God opinions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

I think that's what happened at the recording studio, though: he stuck steadfastly to his rehearsed comments, and looked like a fool for doing that.

edit: That news conference was an awful example of what happens when your staff apparently decides not to brief you at all beforehand.

He just needs the right kind of message control.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2267142576/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'd like to believe that any voter with kids will realize the degree to which this would gut Ontario's already shaky education system. Air traffic controllers are a vague, rare job, and you never run into them in the course of them doing said job. Teachers work with your kids every day, and some that you know personally will very likely lose their jobs if Hudak follows through.

I can't imagine the Big Red Machine won't hammer that home with a million ads a day from now until the election, either, even if each individual voter doesn't make the connection themselves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

I got a card in the mail saying the Liberals are going to save me :siren: $70 a year :siren: by eliminating the debt retirement charge on my hydro bill!

MAKE IT RAIN, KATHLEEN WYNNE!

They're actually campaigning on this.

Must be a plot to tackle Horwath's pledge to give rebates over energy bills. It's not exactly a big part of the Liberal campaign, but since Horwath hasn't released much concrete policy data it's essentially an early attempt to cut her off at the pass on whatever the specifics of her energy rebate plan are.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Step one of the Million Jobs plan is out:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/hudak-says-he-would-cut-corporate-taxes-by-30-per-cent/article18596374/

Hudak says he would cut corporate taxes by 30% if elected, and that this would somehow create 120,000 new jobs, presumably to employ the 100,000 fired civil servants. Aren't Ontario's corporate taxes already some of the lowest in North America, and businesses aren't exactly flocking to create jobs out of gratitude?

Let's compare his two promises: 100,000 people will be guaranteed unemployment. Corporate taxes will be cut, which does not guarantee a rise in jobs. We could easily just end up with 100,000 more unemployed people, and less government funds and workers to help with unemployment assistance and active labour market policies. Now there's a winning economic strategy, Tim! :thumbsup:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

In a CBC interview this morning, Hudak said he would be OK with classrooms of 60 kids. He must have gone batcrap crazy as you can't even say that in Alabama.

Can you find a video or a link of this by any chance?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

The plan was for Mr. Hudak to ride the subway from Wellesley station to Davisville with media. But as soon as they boarded, transit police arrived asking to see permits.

No one had them, leading to an awkward exchange between Mr. Hudak's handlers, TV cameramen and the police.

As the train idled in the station, riders grew increasingly irate.

"Come on! We need to get home!" shouted one woman.

"I'm tired," said one man returning from a Mother's Day Run. "Tim Hudak, take some control."

Mr. Hudak, for his part, smiled awkwardly as the scene unfolded.

Finally, his handlers gave up on the photo-op and everyone trooped off. As reporters waited on the sidewalk outside the station, a Toronto police car rolled up.

It was unclear if the police had been called for the fracas. But before anyone could find out, the media bus arrived to whisk everyone away.

Will Stewart, a spokesman for the campaign, apologized to the TTC and riders for the debacle. The party, he said, hadn't bothered to ask for a permit because they thought it wasn't necessary.

Mr. Hudak ultimately made his announcement on a bridge overlooking the Davisville subway yard.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/hudaks-transit-plan-unveiling-nearly-derailed-by-ttc-cops/article18597722/

loving :lol: what a shambles this campaign is.

e: in this interview, Hudak also says he would cut the Seniors' Home Renovation tax credit. Sweet plan, alienate the old people, Tim. Same for McGuinty's rebate on undergraduate tuition. If you listen to the interview, he really is just talking out of the GOP playbook. He goes on and on about how the only way to encourage the private sector to create jobs is to balance the budget. It makes no sense.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 11, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This explains so much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Trumpeting a tax rebate that saves the typical family less than an hour's wages per month? Thanks, Rob Ford Andrea Horwath!

e. nvm, I misread the ONDP press release.

Everything Horwath says makes me dislike the ONDP more and more. I really hope Wynne gets reelected at this point.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"We have to inspire confidence in corporations that Ontario is a good place to invest! And we should do that by cancelling literally hundreds of contracts we've agreed with them! :downs:"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow, if tax cuts really create that many jobs then why doesn't Hudak just go all out and pledge to eliminate taxes on everything altogether? With his magic job math, that would create.... *crunches numbers* INFINITE JOBS!

Wow, we'd really be an economic powerhouse then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

No, I'm not. How many education jobs did professional economist Don Drummond advise cutting when we paid him to recommend ways for the province to save money? Around 10,000 I think.

You said it yourself, rising interest rates are going to spell disaster for entities holding a lot of debt. That includes the province. Our debt interest is the 3rd largest expense behind health and education and it's growing faster, as a percentage of total spending, than anything else. Even with the aging population, the amount we spend on servicing debt is growing twice as fast as what we spend on health care. As interest rates rise, the percentage we spend on debt interest has to rise as well and takes money away from health, education, infrastructure and social services. Even Dalton McGuinty's finance minister recognized that.

In 2009 smart people who supposedly know a ton about economics told us that we couldn't deficit spend to stimulate the economy because interest rates would shoot back up and we'd be left holding the bag for massive interest payments. It didn't happen. Five years later, why should we think it's about to happen now? Interest rates are at historic lows. For a long time they were actually lower than inflation, which meant people were paying the government to hold onto their money for them when they bought government bonds (that may still be the case, I don't know the exact yield rates and inflation as of this moment). It is objectively correct economic policy to take advantage of this opportunity to make investments in infrastructure that our province has needed for decades, and that will simultaneously stimulate the economy.

If you're so worried about the deficit (which you really shouldn't be, because Ontario is not Greece and investors have shown no signs of not trusting us to pay back our loans, which is what inflated Greek interest rates), then you probably shouldn't support the party that is campaigning on policies that have been tried, and failed, in other countries during this exact recession. Service cuts and public sector layoffs to fund tax cuts are exactly what Britain's Conservative-Lib Dem coalition tried when they were elected, and instead of cutting the deficit it ballooned and drove the country into a new recession. Each year the deficit got bigger and their projections for how long it would take to balance the budget got longer, because each year they just doubled down on austerity and imposed more and more cuts, which strangled the economy. By comparison, the United States pushed through a massive (though quite possibly not massive enough) stimulus bill, raised taxes on the rich to pay for social programs, and have seen a slow but steady recovery and, and this is crucial, no meaningful rise in interest rates on government debt. Despite running historically large deficits, interest rates on government bonds stayed as low as they have ever been. Even when the US credit rating was downgraded due to political turmoil, interest rates didn't budge. Put simply, the austerity narrative that we need to balance the budget so that investors won't demand higher interest rates and bankrupt the country is a lie. It's a lie that's used to justify the shrinking of the state.

Furthermore, austerity doesn't even balance the budget, it exacerbates it by constraining economic growth and shrinking government revenues. The US, which did not adopt austerity, has seen its budget deficit shrinking dramatically over the past year because of economic growth, while European countries that adopted austerity have seen their economies contract and their budget deficits not actually get that much smaller, because service cuts are cancelled out by tax cuts, and then the economy doesn't grow the way it would have with the government stimulus so it's a net loss. If you want to balance the budget because you're worried about the deficit, the way to do it is government stimulus funding offset by tax increases on the wealthy who are currently hoarding their money rather than investing it. Put simply, that is money that could and should be being used to invest in the economy, and if they're not willing to invest it then the government should be.

Also, that Dwight Duncan quote requires context. $500M, or $3.5B over four years, seems like a huge amount of money, and it is, but it pales in comparison to the total $119B of Wynne's proposed 2014 budget.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm not an expert in bond markets, but is that how it works? I thought the vast majority of it was bought at a fixed rate and servicing the interest happens at that rate only.

This is how it works on the vast majority of government debt. You buy a GIC, generally at a fixed rate, and it cashes out when it says it cashes out for the interest rate you agreed to when you bought it. If interest rates go up during that time, too bad. If you want to cash out early, too bad. It's not like a variable rate mortgage where increasing interest rates can screw you if your income isn't also increasing.

The austerity theory is that governments will become addicted to spending, and if interest rates go up they'll just accept paying the new costs of borrowing money rather than cut spending at that time, and so we should preemptively cut spending, even in times with the lowest interest rates in history, just in case that happens later. It's seriously stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

I guess this is what makes me a conservative. Smart people tell me I should wear a seatbelt when I'm in a car, 30 years later I've never been in an accident so it's okay to ignore that risk now? The smart people probably didn't say that interest rates were definitely going to go up. They said that we were making ourselves vulnerable and we would be smart to put ourselves in a position where it wouldn't hurt as much if the rates do go up.

This is really not a good comparison though. Deficit spending in a time of economic crisis is not the same thing as not wearing a seatbelt, because wearing or not wearing a seatbelt a) has no costs, and b) does not affect other people. It's more like being the primary income maker in a household and losing your high-paying job. While you're looking for a new job, do you tell your children that they can't go to university any more, tell your retired parents that they have to find jobs to help with the household finances, and sell your house? No, because it's a temporary change. If your unemployment becomes more long-term you might need to make some of those changes, but even then things like paying your children's way through school is an investment in the future that will have long-term consequences either way, and it might be worth borrowing some money to make that happen because it will increase your family's long-term income dramatically.

This is all pointless though because comparing the government to a single person never actually lines up. My point about smart people and their predictions is that some people have been telling us the sky is falling for years and we need to initiate deficit reduction (see here for an excellent example, and their predictions have all been wrong. Meanwhile, other smart people (Paul Krugman is the most notable example) have been telling us the opposite, and their predictions have actually been right a lot of the time.Most importantly, one of these policy prescriptions (austerity) has dramatic negative effects on large swathes of the public, while the other actually helps improve the quality of life of our society as well as having tangible economic benefits.

Ikantski posted:

I'm not even personally for austerity, it's not my big issue. I don't really want to see major cuts to any social services, health or education. I just think the current Liberal government is horribly incompetent at spending money properly. It bugs me that they've more than doubled the debt in 10 years from 130b to 280b without much to show for it and they're just going to keep borrowing as much as they can to help themselves stay in power. It's insulting.

You know there was a massive recession in 2009, right? Like, even if the Ontario government had not changed its spending habits at all (i.e. had maintained spending at the exact same level irrelevant of other changes in the economy), a massive deficit would have opened in the budget because of people losing their jobs and corporations going bust and the corresponding decline in tax revenue. But in a recession spending also has to increase--even leaving aside any kind of stimulus spending, the government has made promises to the workers who lose jobs, and if it fulfills those promises then spending increases. Things like someone paying into EI for 20 years, so when they lose their job in 2008 they file for EI, and the government has to pay for that. Turning around and saying "No, we're cutting EI because the deficit got too big" is not only bad policy because it leaves people to starve in the streets, it's also morally wrong and disingenuous because it's denying people programs that they have supported with their tax dollars and that they assumed would be there for them if they ever needed them, i.e. the social safety net. Can you at least recognize that a large amount of Ontario's new debt is not the Liberals spending money to help themselves stay in power, but rather them responding to the largest economic crisis since the 1930s and voters responding to that?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Completely unscientific, annecdotal preference data follows

In my many walks around my neighbourhood and riding (Ottawa West Nepean) I've seen a 2-1 ratio of OLP to PCO signs. I have not seen a single ONDP that hasn't been on public land. I have actually seen more Green signs on public land than ONDP by a ratio of 5:1.

Is the ONDP really lazy, or in deep poo poo here?

All signs so far (from my anecdotal, unscientific perspective, at least) point to the NDP being really unprepared for this election in pretty much every way, despite being the ones who caused it in the first place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Meanwhile, Andrea Horwath will stop the gravy train.

Efficiencies!

I'm so turned off by the ONDP under Horwath that it's not even funny. I would much rather reward the Liberals for turning to the left than reward the NDP for turning to the right.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Or just stay home. I believe a lot of NDP voters will opt not to vote.

Well, I'll be in Sweden for the vote anyway and my riding is a Liberal stronghold (St. Pauls) so I probably won't go to the trouble of absentee balloting. So yeah, I'll basically stay home. Desperately hoping for a Liberal win at this point, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

My gut feeling is that while they're trying to respond to the economic crisis, they're doing it as incompetently as they do everything else. That's just a personal feeling and I was curious if there was a way to measure us objectively. I figured I'd calculate how Ontario would rank against the other 3 big provinces in terms of spending vs recovery so I ran some numbers against this handy fiscal excel sheet. I can argue that the Liberals are inept with money and are spending 400% more to make 55% more. You can argue that our growth is 50% faster than any other big province. Everybody's happy.

code:
Province	Average Deficit as %	Provincial revenue growth %
		of total revenue	from 08-09 to 12-13
		from 08-09 to 12-13

Ontario		11.92%			 13.3%
Quebec		 3.35%			 8.28%
Alberta		 4.49%			 6.98%
BC		 2.45%			 6.85%

Ontario also lost 300% more net jobs than any of those provinces during the actual recession, thanks to the nature of the crisis hitting the structure of Ontario's economy worse than anywhere else in Canada. And we didn't have oil wealth to bail us out the way Alberta (the one province with a higher proportion of jobs lost) did.

(from here)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Let's be honest, the ONDP is in deep poo poo because Horwath thought Wynne would cave on the budget giving her power. She kind of hosed up almost Hudak big.

In what world did Wynne not cave on the budget, though? That was the most progressive budget the OLP has put forward in years, possibly since McGuinty was elected. If Horwath had voted for it we would have a shitload of progressive policies (minimum wage increase, increased retirement plan, massive infrastructure projects, and so on and so on) currently in the early stages of being enacted. Instead she decided to bring the whole thing down over her stupid populist poo poo (Auto insurance!!! Middle class!!! Horwath SMASH!!!). Wynne put forward a left-wing budget and the NDP decided not to support it for no reason, since she wasn't even prepared for an election. It's seriously stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

geese posted:

Personally, I would just love for us to become the government. If we have to go all-in on populism to gain another 15-20 seats to head up a minority government, then that's fine with me. Andrea Horwath has a degree in labour studies and she was a community development coordinator before getting into politics. She's as left-wing as anyone in the base, and we have a lot of great progressive candidates and I trust them to deliver. But we have to find a way to win, even if we have to find ways to get a few more yokels in Sarnia or wherever to vote for us.

This is a terrible attitude and if that's how Horwath runs the ONDP then I will seriously either stay home or vote Liberal until she's gone.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Million Jobs Plan is not popular, according to a Forum/Toronto Star poll.

quote:

Nearly two-thirds of Ontarians disapprove of Tim Hudak’s plan to cut 100,000 public servants to streamline government, a new poll suggests.

The Forum Research survey also found‎ 63 per cent do not think the Progressive Conservative leader will be able to create his promised 1 million new jobs, while 26 per cent feel he can deliver and 11 per cent don’t know.

Similarly, 26 per cent approve of cutting 100,000 public-sector workers — such as teachers and bureaucrats — while 62 per cent do not and‎ 11 per cent aren’t sure.

Indeed, Hudak’s restraint proposal has taken a toll on the party’s popularity as the June 12 election campaign heats up.

Kathleen Wynne’s governing Liberals now lead with 38 per cent support to 35 per cent for the Conservatives, 21 per cent for Andrea Horwath’s New Democrats, and 5 per cent for Mike Schreiner’s Greens.

In the May 2 Forum poll, the Tories were at 38 per cent, the Liberals 33 per cent, the NDP 22 per cent, and the Greens at 6 per cent.

Using interactive voice-response phone calls, Forum surveyed 996 people across Ontario on Monday and results are considered accurate to within three percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Extrapolating the polling results suggests the Liberals would secure 68 seats in the 107-member legislature, the Conservatives 26, and the NDP 13, said Bozinoff.

“It’s not a huge change in the standings, but it makes a major difference in the seats,” the pollster said of the movement since last week. He noted the Liberals tend to win urban seats by narrow margins while the Tories pile up huge pluralities in rural ridings.

At dissolution, there were 48 Liberal MPPs, including Speaker Dave Levac, 37 Tories, 21 New Democrats, and one vacancy.

In terms of personal approval, Wynne was at 38 per cent (up from 34 per cent on May 2), Horwath was at 35 per cent (36 per cent in the previous poll), and Hudak was 23 per cent (down from 26 per cent).

Forum’s poll is statistically weighted by age, region, and other variables to ensure the sample reflects the actual population according to the latest census data. The weighting formula has been shared with the Star and raw polling results are housed at the University of Toronto’s political science department’s data library.

I'll admit I don't know a ton about the mechanics of polling and what does and doesn't lead to accurate results (i.e. results that mirror actual election results) but Forum was the same pollster that had that poll with the Tories way out in front, so it's probably the same methodology this time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Guys we totally have an awesome plan coming in a few weeks that will surely bring us all the votes.

I can only imagine what right wing talking point they will spout in a sad attempt to gain more votes.

"We'll create TWO million jobs by cutting corporate taxes by 60%!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Tim Hudak won't say whether or not he would keep TVO around in his cutstravaganza, which probably means he would cut it because usually you say you'll keep things to win votes, and this would also mirror his "will you cut our music grant?" "Okay bye!" stunt from the first day of his campaign.

Meanwhile, the Hudak campaign keeps on rolling in its other idiosyncratic ways:

quote:

If politics doesn’t work out, shipping and receiving may not be an option for Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak.

In Guelph on Thursday, Hudak dropped by Royal Distributing to pack some boxes for the benefit of media cameras‎.

“How did I do there?” the Tory chief proudly asked supervisor, Shane Miller.

“I wouldn’t hire you,” deadpanned Miller, who oversees the area where 40 ‎people.

Hudak laughed off the quip.

‎First there was the Liberals’ Wynnebago.

Now, Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak’s campaign media bus finally has a name.

The big blue Prevost bus has been christened “the Fired Truck” thanks to Sun News Network’s Joshua Skurnik.

The pun on Hudak’s plan to axe 100,000 public servants in order to create 1 million private-sector jobs beat out the Trump Shuttle, Blue Shift, and the Tory-staff-suggested Million Jobs Express.

e: I also really like this article, regarding Tim Hudak and debt. Ignore the first bit about Alfred E. Newman, it gets much better afterwards.

quote:

There’s an Alfred E. Newman quality about Tim Hudak, and I say that with great affection, speaking as one of Mad magazine’s early devotees. (My collection of vintage Mads perished in a cottage fire years ago.) The resemblance became clear on that subway ride that was cancelled because his aides lacked a permit, leaving Hudak grinning manically in the back of the shot — and even then only after some genius added circus music to the footage and posted it on YouTube. He has to be saying, What, me worry?

What is Alfred/Tim not worrying about? He’s not worrying about explaining the reasoning on which his million jobs plan is based. He simply says: “The biggest thing we can do to actually create jobs in the province of Ontario is to balance the budget.” Uh-one, and uh-two and that’s it. How? Why? What’s the link?

It’s not that he doesn’t know, it’s that he doesn’t know it’s missing and should be there. That’s why he isn’t worried. You just fire teachers or whoever and new jobs appear. He seems not to understand what an explanation is, which in the most basic sense means showing connections: this connects to this, in this way, which is why it leads to it. Balance the budget and it happens — how?

He sounds less like someone with an M.A. in economics than someone who attended a weekend retreat at the Fraser Institute and came away with a certificate for attendance. Everyone who went got one, along with the ability to chant the cheers.

Other more garrulous balanced budget advocates do try to fix a link: it will create business confidence and jobs will flow; or it takes pressure off interest rates (though they’re already very low and holding). But Hudak does us the favour of showing the link isn’t essential and doesn’t exist in any persuasive way because it’s not the basis for the balancing: that basis is emotional.

“It can’t go on this way,” people like him shudder. Kelly McParland in the National Post says the Wynne budget comes down to “how comfortable are you living deep in debt? . . . In the end the balloon usually bursts, the creditors move in and all the neat stuff disappears . . . ” Or Scott Stinson’s intense: “Tick, tick, tick.” None of it is based on anything actually there. It’s a fearful extrapolation of what might occur. The footfalls on the porch that you don’t hear are the scariest. The silence means they might be coming and you start imagining . . .

I used to think balanced budget panic was a pretext whipped up by right wing ideologues who hate big government or equality but I now think it’s more truly felt. Debt was a basis of growth for 5,000 years — as anthropologist and activist David Graeber has written — but only recently became a source of mass fear and shame.

You can’t spend your way out of debt, the panicky say, though that’s the standard model in business: you go to the bank, acquire debt, then invest (i.e. spend) it, etc. For these people, though, it’s all about waiting for the axe to fall or Freddy to come through the door. McParland says “there are people who don’t mind living in debt.” But everyone minds debt, the question is: can you handle it rationally and prudently when the alternative is worse, like putting your family on the street or shattering institutions that make life civil. For McParland all debt is “laced with” danger and evil — he speaks in the language of addiction. Not to mention that we’re discussing public debt here, which “we” largely owe ourselves, and which can transcend generations, as private debt doesn’t. Or the possibility of cutting back on debt by raising taxes judiciously. But I digress.

The economics professoriat has a lot to answer for here. They provided the murky rationales for the discontinuous two-step that Tim Hudak has happily uncloaked for all to see. Why economists receive such cred is another question. They alone get to torture whole countries like Greece, solely on the base of their dubious models. Would you let a historian tell you what alliances to make or give him the keys to the foreign policy car?

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 16, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
EKOS, April 9: OLP 32.3%, ONDP 29%, OPC 27.4%, GRN 8%, OTH 3%

EKOS, May 16: OLD 37.1%, OPC 30.3%, ONDP 20.9%, GRN 7%, OTH 5%

Horwath better pray that that big policy announcement of hers turns this around, because holy poo poo is that trend bad for the NDP.

e: :wow:

e2: more graphs

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 16, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

All that Hudak had to do was keep his trap shut for ~one month~ of campaigning and he couldn't do it.

It's kind of refreshing, honestly. He's really open about his policies and repeatedly says that he doesn't want to trick people, he wants to just be himself and tell Ontarians what he thinks is the harsh truth, and hope they vote for him as a result. It's a very honest Canadian way to be a Tea Party shithead, a far cry from US-style "ssssh, nobody talk about what we actually believe or we won't win power!" which is actually kind of what Horwath is doing according to our source within NDP headquarters.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, except that there's no reason to believe that Horwath is indeed running a submarine operation.

Also that NDP graph is amazing. I guess people are correctly realizing that they're better off voting for the faction of the Liberal Party that is more likely to win.

If there's one thing this campaign has taught me it's that I would much rather vote for the left wing of the Liberal party than the right wing of the NDP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Why yes, I'm a tad bitter that the Liberals have apparently succeeded in convincing otherwise-intelligent D&D posters that they're more leftwing than the NDP, despite having governed from the right for an entire decade.

Should we just completely ignore parties' election campaigns and vote for them based on their ostensible ideologies? Because so far the Liberals are running the farthest left-wing campaign of any party in this election by a long stretch.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me.

Jesus Christ.

What does she think the last two weeks of campaigning have been about then?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's important to recall also that two things are true about the OLP:

First of all, McGuinty's government was more centre-left than you'd think until 2011. He did a lot of good social things, and economically he was all for raising taxes and spending them on good stuff like beginning the transition towards a green economy--McGuinty's policies were well on their way to making us a world leader in environmental technology, which is something that requires a lot of investment, and this stands even if you consider things the right hates like the big Samsung deal. His government is also responsible for undoing a lot of the damage Harris did to the province, especially by investing in healthcare and education (just as one example, Ontario had the best hospital wait times in the country according to a report a few years ago, and that certainly wasn't the case under 'close 28 hospitals' Harris). His 30% off undergrad tuition grant is actually a huge deal in helping underprivileged youths afford to go to university. He gave good contracts to a lot of unionized provincial employees. He provided the province with full-day kindergarten, which despite some implementation problems can be one of the most valuable tools for inter-generational social mobility. And he actually paid for all of this by raising taxes rather than by cutting spending elsewhere. Our debt-to-GDP ratio was decreasing until the 2008 crash, when suddenly massive deficits were needed to bail out the auto industry and support several hundred thousand people who had just lost their jobs.

Of course, this changed after the 2011 election, when for whatever reason he decided to swing to the right to try and get his majority back instead of to the left for NDP support, and we had the assault on the teachers' unions and the austerity budgets and everything. But he resigned after just over a year of that behaviour, and that's where the second point comes in.

Second, the OLP itself rejected McGuinty's swing to the right by electing Kathleen Wynne, who represents the left wing of the party, rather than the establishment and Liberal-insider-favoured right wing candidate, Sandra Pupatello. Combine that with most of McGuinty's cabinet resigning their ministerships and even also resigning their seats, and you end up with a very different Liberal government, which has been much further to the left than McGuinty was in 2011-12, and probably further to the left than McGuinty was from 2003-11 as well. It wasn't Wynne who attacked the teachers' union. In fact, a major plank of her leadership platform was repairing relations with the teachers. Yes, of course they're the same party and there are a lot of continuities, but I have to say that all signs point to the Liberal base rejecting McGuinty's rightward turn just as much as the left wing voters who are wavering between the NDP and the OLP in this election rejected it. Kathleen Wynne is hardly the same leader as Dalton McGuinty. She put forward a budget--not an election campaign but a budget, i.e. something that would have become law had the NDP voted for it--that was the most left-wing piece of legislation the province has seen in probably 20 years. So what if it didn't subsidize auto insurance? We shouldn't be subsidizing cars any more than we already do, and in fact we should be trying to encourage other forms of transportation because global climate change is a reality and it's going to harm us all very much.

Essentially, the OLP is a more left-wing party than most people give it credit for. It's almost certainly left wing of the national Liberals, even under Golden Boy Trudeau himself. Wynne is a centre-left politician, and her government has given all signs towards being a centre-left government.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Well drat. Guess I got taken in. gently caress em all, then! Might as well vote Green - I know the GPO candidate in my riding anyway and have heard only bad about the OLP candidate.

Not that my vote matters - my riding will go Liberal, guaranteed. If the polling station wasn't literally on my block I'd probably not bother.

For the record, the Liberal line on the pension plan, which was laid out partly in the budget document itself and partly in Sousa's budget speech, is that legislation for it was going to be tabled in the fall, in order to give other provinces and the federal government one last chance to make the necessary adjustments to CPP instead of creating a patchwork quilt of retirement programs across the country. The Liberal line has always been that reforming CPP is their preferred solution, and the ORP will be put forward as actual legislation if that fails to happen (which it will, because Harper is dead set against it).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

:siren: Journos on Twitter are reporting the NDP platform is coming down in the morning. :siren:

I have to say that I'm resigned to hoping it's a trainwreck because I really, really don't want vote splitting to hand Hudak a government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

geese posted:

Platform announcement is imminent but a few choice bits since I'm allowed to talk about it now:

Freeze post-secondary tuition and interest-free student loans.
Investment in safe and affordable childcare spaces.
Attract doctors to underserviced communities by forgiving student debt.

Interest-free student loans forever? Because student loans are already interest-free while you're in school, don't require interest payments for 6 months after graduation (although interest does start to accumulate) and have repayment assistance and interest foregone for students who remain low income even after graduating (i.e. who don't immediately get good jobs). How does the NDP platform differ from the current model?

• Locked thread