Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A recent episode of Elementary had the absolute worst example of bad guys not just shooting the good guys. Watson and and Mycroft are being held at gunpoint and the leader of the bad guys orders his men to shoot them, but they just stand around not doing anything for ages. Pretty much any time Mycroft is in that show it's terrible, but that was just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Where the hell does Peter get his outfit? OK so Tobey made a really crappy one for wrestling but then he makes this slick rear end looking suit that he can constantly repair after every fight but he's always scraping by to get cash?

Once he gets popular he can probably just get replacement stuff from costume shops. Newspaper Spider-Man bought an entire replacement costume when he was stuck in Miami without one and I'd bet that he's done something similar in the comic books as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

Data's entire "I wanna be human" shtick was irritating. It makes sense for an actual robot. But he was already a sapient being. Him wanting to be human was like an alien wanting to be human. As if his own "species" wasn't good enough. That dude was basically an android racist.

Also the fact that he clearly had emotions the whole time and everyone acknowledged that in the way they treated him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trent posted:

It's annoying when Vulcans say "that is a human emotion (dumbass)" to someone like Phlox who isn't loving human at all.

Vulcans were so badly written. Star Trek writers really didn't seem to understand what emotions even are. These characters who are supposed to never express emotions (or even have emotions in the case of Data and Lore) express emotions all the time, just like every other character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

Dax actually called them out on that in that one DS9 episode where they all play baseball against some Vulcans for some reason. They go on about "human emotions" when the DS9 team's celebrating their win and she just says "did I forget to put my spots on today?" and pisses them off even more. I've no idea why any Vulcans other than Spock would say that.

Probably because the Federation is almost entirely made up of humans. It's basically the human nation (and also Vulcans and some miscellaneous others). And Dax looks human (I assume tattoos are still a thing in the 24th century). Those Vulcans may not even have heard of Trills, it's not like there are a lot of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

There was that episode where Wesley was applying to Starfleet and there were all these super crazy and difficult tests and I'm like, really? Every single redshirt went through this crap? I don't think so.
They clearly realised how ridiculous that was though, since the entry requirements are a lot more achievable in DS9.

syscall girl posted:

I thought red shirts were like NCOs and such. Like, O'Brien made a point of the fact that he wasn't an officer, probably didn't go to the academy, right?
Anyone addressed as "Ensign" went to the academy. I think O'Brien is the only named Starfleet character who didn't, and he's outranked by Wesley.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Data doesn't get actual emotions until he gets the emotion chip installed in his brain. Throughout most of the series, he's trying to mimic human emotions as much as he can. I'm a little fuzzy on some of the later episodes, but I know in one of the books he's experimenting with humor, and laughs at things he thinks are jokes, even if they aren't meant to be jokes, and things like sarcasm fly right over his head.

That's the thing, the writers equate "no emotions" with "doesn't get jokes" and that's about as far as they take it. I mean, Data keeps a picture of Tasha Yar after she dies, but totally not for emotional reasons though, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

The point of Data is that he has emotion but doesn't realize it because he expects it to mean more than it does.

I'd agree with you if the emotion chip didn't exist. They make it pretty explicit that Data has no emotions without it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

While we're on Star Wars here's something I don't understand: why bother with a death star? It would take trillions of $Space, why not just nuke 'em? Failing that pushing asteroids into a planet or causing seismic activity, both seem like ideas that would be magnitudes cheaper than a death star.
The point of the Death Star is that it's scary, not that it's practical. It exists more of a demonstration of the empire's power than as a thing that they'd actually use. Everyone knows that space ships and nuclear bombs exist, using them wouldn't be a useful demonstration because it would be just more oppression, more likely to help the rebels than hinder them. Completely obliterating a planet was something no one had ever been able to do before, it feels like a game changer even if it actually isn't in a practical sense. The Empire wasn't even at war with any planets. Actually destroying planets isn't of any value to them in itself, but it does make people sit up and take notice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Treguna Mekoides posted:

My biggest peeve for film would actually be people jumping up in a middle of a meal during a crisis. I dunno about you, but I'd wolf down whatever I could as fast as I could if I knew I might not be coming home. :colbert: Maybe I'm dumb.

This seems to happen almost every time two cops are driving around together. One of them will buy some food and gets back in the car, they're both about to start eating when they have to respond to something, so they immediately throw the food out. Come on, you might be done with this in five minutes, just leave the food on the back seat or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

This happens in very many movies, but: a character is asking for something and the person asked gives a estimate in which he/she will act/arrive/complete the task, like "I'll be there in [x] hours" which is met with "Be there in [less amount of time]" Especially when the person giving an estimate is a trained professional. The last time I've seen that was in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in which Nick Fury asks his second in command to come to him, she says that she'll be there in three hours (I think), but he demands that she be there in two. I'm pretty sure she knows what she's talking about and doesn't need help in doing her job.
I hate this unless the person doing it is someone like J Jonah Jameson. Most of the time I want the first person to just reply "Uh, no. That's not possible. I told you when I can get it finished by."

Szurumbur posted:

Also the people discussing the movie on a talkpage I've read about it were shortening Captain America to Cap constantly, but the shortening is Capt. or Cpt.
Capt. or Cpt. are abbreviations for captain. "Cap" is a nickname for Captain America.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I can't remember a specific example from a movie, but I've seen it all over the place. Someone is trying to prove something to someone else, and they just totally omit some easy or crucial piece of evidence that would prove it.
This always annoys me with stuff like ghosts. If they're actually real, it's incredibly easy to prove. For a start, in most cases everyone should already believe in them from the beginning since there's tons of them and they're not exactly hard to detect. Things flying around, or ghosts just being visible or whatever.

But assuming that ghosts can't move things and only certain people can see or hear them. Well, have someone write something down and hold it up where the ghost can see it, then the ghost tells the medium what it says and the medium repeats it back. Or any number of variations on this.

But so many times the medium is confronted with someone who doesn't believe them and just can't think of any way they could possibly prove that they're telling the truth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LeJackal posted:

The reasoning behind them ignoring sick people doesn't stand up to more than half a second of scrutiny
You say this like as though zombies make any kind of sense to begin with. This is why I hate "realistic" zombies. They're not realistic. At all. Saying it's a virus instead of magic makes it less believable, not more, because we know about viruses and they absolutely can't do that. Magic can do anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

What the hell was Xavier's telepathy powers being tied to his ability to walk? He took a pill that suppressed his powers but also allowed him to walk? How was he walking around in First Class?
I remember in the old cartoon series there were a few episodes where Xavier lost his powers and was suddenly able to walk again. I don't think they explained it at all. I assume it's explained somewhere in the comics and they just copied it into the TV version and movie so that comics fans wouldn't have another reason to complain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Now, I only watched the first episode of The Mentalist but unlike Psych where they explain where Shawn gets all his clues, The Mentalist guy would just say stuff and people would go "wow, you're right!"

It could have just been a first episode thing but it was enough to make me not want to watch the show.
Patrick Jane solves crimes almost exactly the same way as Sherlock Holmes. You usually do get an explanation of whatever clues he used to solve it, but they're very rarely actually enough evidence for a real person to have figured it out. Like how Sherlock Holmes could tell that a man was unmarried because his hat was dusty or whatever. They don't always go through everything in detail, but they generally do show you what the clues were.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

That does seem weird though and not like being gay at all. People don't hate people who are born gay but accept people who got turned gay by science, magic, or cosmic space rays. It seems weird that the Fantastic Four are celebrities because Space Rays gave them powers while the X-Men are pariahs.
Also, have you noticed that gay people don't have super powers? I'm starting to think that this analogy doesn't match up 100%.

What I'd like to see from a Spider-Man film is something like newspaper Spider-Man. I'd like it to be set in a world where all Marvel super heroes and villains exist, and they're just constantly in brief cameos or in the background and the main plot is Spider-Man fighting some normal human who put on a costume and decided to be a super villain, and losing. In the end he manages to defeat the villain by pure luck. Also, a good third of the film should be focused on J Jonah Jameson. Just tell Stan Lee to write a Spider-Man film then stand back and let the magic happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

On a similar note, Deckard kissing Rachael was pretty rapey and really threw me for a loop. I'm not sure the film meant it to be seen like that though which is p bad.
I watched Blade Runner for the first time a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure that he actually rapes her. There didn't seem to be anything consensual about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EdibleBodyParts posted:

In Lego Marvel Superheroes, there are so many awesome little touches. Most characters have special things they can do, one of which is interacting with computer panels. This requires "genius" characters, like Tony Stark, Reed Richards, or Bruce Banner. Spider-Man/Peter Parker can't use them.
Makes sense to me. Peter may be a genius, able to invent incredible stuff like web fluid, but when it comes to practical stuff he is really dumb. Just the fact that he thinks the best use of his time is swinging around the city hoping to come across a crime happening tells you that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

There wasn't much good about V For Vendetta

Really? :crossarms:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The whole reason Ashton Kutcher's character meets the girl is because she chose to live with her father after her parents divorced, which was in part thanks to Ashton Kutcher because they became friends. At the end of the movie he goes back to prevent them from becoming friends by threatening her, so she chooses to live with her mom instead and thus doesn't get diddled in the first place. Presumably the son also chose to live with the mom instead but we don't ever find that out, I don't think.
I don't think the movie actually gives us any reason to assume that the son isn't abused. In the timeline where Ashton prevents the father from abusing the girl he just switches over to the boy, and the boy wasn't staying because of Ashton, so if he were going to go live with his mum he probably would have in that timeline as well. And even with his own kids out of the way, that guy is still a potential child molester, he might just go after someone else's kids.

He really should have stopped at the timeline where he had no arms. It was abundantly clear at that point that everything he did made things worse, but at least there the girl hadn't been abused and her brother turned out about as well as could be hoped. Risking further time travel at that point was just a bad idea. If he couldn't live without arms he could kill himself, since was going to kill himself in the past anyway.

Also, the most egregious example of the film breaking its own time travel rules is when Ashton proves he can time travel by making the scars appear on his hands. Those scars should have been there the whole time from everyone else's perspective, proving nothing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

What's worse is thinking the are rules to the fictional idea of time travel and caring about them.

It doesn't matter if it's time travel or anything else, if part of a story is based on the premise that a thing works a certain way, it has to work that way consistently or it doesn't make sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

At the end of Groundhog Day, during the party where all the inhabitants of Punxsutawney tell Rita how amazing Phil has become, Rita watches Phil play and the old lady piano teacher says to her "that's my student". But wait, didn't Phil get a piano lesson with the money he stole from the armored truck guards? Didn't the old lady only let him through the door because he offered her that money? So that means even though he's become a good person and mostly made peace with everything, he still stole a bunch of money. Then that's the version of Groundhog Day that sticks, so he get's away with it scot free in the end. Kind of craps over the message of the movie a little.

That comment always sticks out to me because it just doesn't make sense. Even assuming that on that last day he did go to her for one last lesson, he had to already be pretty good at playing the piano by then. There's no way she would be able to take credit for it — even though she actually did teach him, she doesn't know that. By this point, wouldn't he basically be going there to use her piano to practice, rather than for her to teach him anything? But with all the other stuff he did on that final run-through, how would he even have had time for a piano lesson?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sulphix posted:

That reminds me, the most annoying thing about the movie Equilibrium is that other people insist it's good. In the movie itself, why in the last fight are they playing patty-cake? Scene here http://youtu.be/bWsz7u4eN8I?t=1m50s

Equilibrium is good. As long as you fast-forward through every scene that isn't a fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It's impossible to correctly knock someone out without a proper anesthetist in a carefully controlled environment though.
What about the tranquiliser darts they use for stopping dangerous animals?

Lagomorphic posted:

Also Dexter is a really goddamn terrible show.
You should try reading the books it's based on. They make the show look like the pinnacle of art and culture by comparison.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I seriously want a goddamn Greek myth movie that follows just ONE myth well. Like loving Perseus! We don't need the goddamn gods fighting, or do loving the labors of Hercules, if nothing else THE loving MINOTAUR. How hard does this poo poo have to be!

This reminds me of the TV series Rome. I couldn't watch more than one episode of that just because of how wrong it was (and I'm hardly an expert, so the stuff I noticed was pretty egregious). And that period of Roman history has so much going on that would make for great TV, you don't need to make these massive and arbitrary changes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

What where the things as they did have historical advisers on the show? They might have changed some things but that was just the nature of a tv show.

Like I said, I only watched the first episode and I'm not an expert, but the biggest stuff that jumped out at me was Octavian being in it at all at that stage and his mother being just completely wrong in every way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

This is an amazing show I got into because my history teacher loved it and showed clips in class, because some things were perfect demonstrations of how things were historically done.

I guess Octavian and his mother just stood out to me because I don't know that much about ancient Rome, but that was one thing where what I was seeing was just obviously wrong when compared with what I'd read. Perhaps the problem is that I know just enough to see that but not enough to notice all the stuff they got right, so it unbalances it in my mind. Oh well, it's certainly irrationally irritating, because it's not like the show would have to be historically accurate to be good TV anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

They literally did exactly that episode. Moriarty worked out what was going on and took over the holodeck because they asked the computer to make a suitable opponent for Data (who was playing Holmes), who was basically going into all the Holmes simulations and calling them within seconds of seeing the body, or some poo poo.

The computer could literally create, on demand, in a few seconds, a programme more advanced and intelligent than the basically-magic android, which was powerful enough that the computer then *lost the ability to shut it down*.

Sometimes the Star Trek writers were so loving lazy.;

Didn't stop me watching though.
The best thing about that is that Soong was apparently such an incredible genius that he was the only one who could figure out how to create a sentient android and no one else ever managed to replicate it, then the Enterprise crew discover that all you actually need to do is tell the holodeck computer to make one and it just will, but no one seems to realise how significant that is or follow up on it at all. Sure, Moriarty couldn't leave the holodeck, but since replicators exist you'd think it would be relatively straight-forward to basically manufacture sentient robots. Or even living people if you wanted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And I agree re: the holodeck and sentience. Everyone goes on about Data being so high and mighty, but even the most basic, throw-away hologram appears quite capable of human emotion.

Most of them are supposed to be just faking it. They're not actually sentient any more than the characters in a modern video game are, they're just programmed to respond in ways that make them seem like they are. But Moriarty is explicitly different, to the extent that he somehow remains conscious even when his program isn't running. Which makes no sense, but there you go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF, manufactuing sentient androids was already easy before that episode. You put Data on the transporter and don't delete the original. They manufactured duplicates of crew members at least three times across various series, including a version of Riker that went off and joined the Maquis.
Yeah, but the holodeck method lets you create new, different ones rather than just identical copies. But the holodeck, replicators and transporters are just so terribly underutilised. They can clearly do a hell of a lot more than they're ever actually used for. Like how they accidentally discovered a way to reverse the ageing process and never did anything with it. Or the way you can use the transporters to essentially store people in an unchanging state, which would be great if you needed to get them medical care that wasn't immediately available. I think there are even times where they edit something mid-transport, like removing viruses or dangerous chemicals.

Trent posted:

Moriarty's brain was the enterprise computer, though, which is bigger than my house. Take a look at a schematic of the Enterprise-D, if you feel like being a huge nerd, and see that the computer core is like ten decks tall or something. That data's brain fits into a human-sized head is what's amazing about him, not that he's an AI.
But wasn't Moriarty transferred entirely into that little cube that Picard leaves on his desk and forgets about? Also, I'm pretty sure that Vic Fontaine from DS9 was sentient as well and contained entirely within one of Quark's holosuites. And the emergency medical holograms seem to either be sentient or become sentient if left running long enough. I'm not sure if they're part of the main computer or not though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

I don't even have to see the film to know that the Van Helsing Dracula was better. He was the best Dracula there will ever be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

Supernatural bugs me about this. The Winchesters have met all manner of Gods across multiple pantheons, have straight up visited Heaven and Hell, and by all accounts should realize death has no consequence in their universe. Because so long as you're a decent person you'll go to heaven and even if that's not your cup of tea there's a million and one ways to be brought back to life. They probably even have their own penthouse suites waiting for them for all the times they've saved the world. Yet they still act like death is a huge deal.
There is a pretty good chance of them ending up in hell if they die though, whether it's because of something evil sending them there, because they did some ritual or something that sends them there as a consequence, or whether they just happen to be evil that week. Also, those aren't the only options. At any point they may unknowingly be some sort of non-human creature and go to purgatory instead, or they might just become a ghost, which is probably even worse than going to hell. At least if you go to hell your soul is still pretty much unharmed, and at worst you turn into a demon, and they know how to cure that now, but ghosts just go crazy and get destroyed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

About to have a fight: clench a fist so hard your knuckles crack!

Im sure this started with people wearing leather gloves and the creaking that would occur if you clenched a fist while wearing them, but it has escalated to cracking knuckles and its loving ridiculous. Unless you are suffering accute arthritis then that simply wont happen.

Pilchenstein posted:

I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.
Some people's joints crack much more easily than others, and having joints that crack easily doesn't mean you have arthritis.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've always wanted to see a scene where the big tough guy cracks his neck from side to side, but then it immediately cuts to him in a chiropracter's office :v:
Cracking your joints doesn't do you any harm.

Murphy Brownback posted:

On a similar movie note, it always irritates me when there is a highschool/college party. It's always some huge event with hundreds of people and live music and alcohol that never runs out. Maybe I missed out on these parties when I went to school, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them are nothing like that. Also the "everyone is a professional dancer doing perfectly choreographed moves" thing that not another teen movie made fun of.
What's really weird about that is that everyone knows it's ridiculous. Pretty much everyone involved in making the film and most of the audience have been in highschool, and know it wasn't like that. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

How in the world did they get blood of an aquatic dinosaur from a mosquito?

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

As I understand it, the supposed dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are actually more genetically engineered than cloned, thus neatly explaining all the inaccuracies and how they managed to create such variety.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

My irrational irritation with JW is that it released a trailer for its trailer.

Don't most big movies do that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In the TV show The Dresden Files the main character, Harry Dresden, has a ghost called Bob haunting his house/shop. Bob is visible to everyone and looks and sounds just like a normal person, but always hides whenever any recurring character shows up. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this. Harry could just say "This is my friend Bob." and no one would question that. And he has no problem showing himself to random side characters. He even greets a customer when Harry's gone out in one episode. It doesn't make sense that he's always hiding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't mind characters speaking English for the sake of the audience, but it does annoy me when they do an accent to indicate the language they're speaking. Like, an American actor is playing a French character in France so they say all their lines in English with a French accent. Just use your normal voice!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Terminator 3 Arnold says he's 2 fusion cell batteries or something and if they get damaged the explode in a thermonuclear blast. One gets damaged and gets thrown out a car where it explodes, and the other one blows up when he gets crushed by the blast door.

So why the gently caress didn't the fusion cells explode in the first movie when the Terminator gets crushed by a hydraulic press or in the second one when he gets dipped into molten steel?
It's not the same Terminator. Presumably the T3 one was a slightly different model.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This zombie plot whole is discussed in the Zombie Survival Guide. It describes that the virus that animates humanity after death is fatal to pretty much everything else.

Like every attempt to close up plot holes in a zombie story, this just raises more questions. If all the animals are dead, dying or greatly reduced in numbers, doesn't that destroy every ecosystem on the planet and indirectly kill all the people? And what sort of virus can just infect every species?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Seriously, go re watch the burly brawl and tell me the matrix reloaded is not the worst movie ever put to film. You guys clearly do not remember what bad cgi truly is.

It can't be the worst film ever because The Matrix Revolutions exists. :colbert: