Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Well the show has some more stuff going for it than Arrow or Birds of Prey.

1. Casting is really spot on: Like as people said Selina Kyle is perfect so is the guy playing Penguin.

2. No Joker at the start. It's always a good sign when the Joker isn't pulled out at the very beginning. He's awesome, but he's getting a bit overused, it speaks to some level of confidence in the premise that they've tucked him away somewhere.

3. It could be legit interesting to see how Penguin and Riddler become the crazy nutters we come to love. Batman has always been a bit more about the villains than Batman and both Penguin and Riddler have never gotten good origin stories.

4. Bruce is young enough that he can't be flying around as Batman without a time jump. So at least they are somewhat committed to not having Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

Or at least until the ratings start dropping.

I have an image of my mind of several "Joker" scripts encased in glass with a sign that reads "Break In Case Ratings Drop Bellow Two Million Viewers"

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

At least they have a whole list of villains they can have Gordon go up against before Batman hits the scene.

Black Mask, Deadshot, Deathstroke, The Ventriloquist, Ras A'Ghoul, Zsasz, Calander Man, Firefly, and Magpie can all be used in addition to their current Rogues gallery without contradicting Batman's future and can be conceivably defeated by Gordon.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

The other thing is that could be interesting is that Gordon doesn't necessarily have to "win" in every episode, in fact he should be losing a lot. With the right writing they could have him deal with losing most episodes, just minimizing the damage that Gotham's underground does, but still go out every day and try and make the city a marginally better place. It could be a really endearing story if they do it that way.

Then when things look like they are finally going to total crap, they can have Batman finally show up and have a season dedicated to the "Long Halloween" arch from Gordon's perspective. (or just do Arkham Origins, crap game but great story).

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Another thing that should be known is that Bruno Heller is at the helm. He is responsible for Rome and the Mentalist.

Rome of course was fantastic and the Mentalist, while turned to slock, had quite a few good episodes and rarely crossed into truly terrible territory.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol you guys talking like there's going to be a second season

Personally when I heard of it, I never believed it would get off the ground or have any real talent attached to it. If anything, I thought this project would have been killed when the whole Superman/Batman movie was announced. Execs usually don't want things running on TV that might confuse the audience with what's happening in the movies.

... then again there's the real possibility that Ben Affleck might make a cameo as future Batman in this show which would make me vomit.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 7, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Mister Mind posted:

Camren Bicondova (Catwoman) is, in fact, 14 years old. I think it's her 45-year-old-woman hairstyle that's messing you up.

Wait what? I thought she must be an older actress just trying to portray someone younger, as should be done in a show that should be as dark as Gotham should be...

Mister Mind posted:

edit: Similarly, Claire Foley (Poison Ivy) is twelve-ish. (She also played Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan's daughter in Win Win, which you should all go and watch ASAP, because it's a really good movie.)

WTF! They have a 12 year old playing Poison Ivy?!

Ok... guess she isn't going to be detonating a bunch of bombs and being an eco-terrorist anytime soon.

Now my faith in this show has been somewhat damaged.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

It's been clear that the adults are the showrunners, though. Bruce looks ten years old, ffs. None of those named characters are going to be doing much of anything. The kids seem like they're more thematic tools to show the change of the city, rather than supermasks-in-training.

That would be fine and I hope your right. However Selina seems like she's going to be featured prominently.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

R-Type posted:

This is going to be The Arrow without the Arrow. Why are they so damned afraid of putting the superheroes on TV?

Budget.

Even a hero like Batman, who has no powers, still would require a large budget for the Batcave, Batmobile, and all of his ninja esque stunts. With Gordon as the main hero you don't have those problems as his powers are his brains and his gun.

Same reason why Smallville Clark rarely ever flew. CGI effects for flying are expensive, but Clark "bluring" into stuff is still pretty cheap.

Drifter posted:

We both know I'm probably wrong.

:negative:

:(

There's got to be hope. However dark and scary the world might be right now, there's got to be light.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 7, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

A small amount of light. Like the flickering light in a certain alleyway at the back entrance of a movie theater during an evening showing of the new Zorro film.

Ah a short cut to get home marginally faster! Can't possibly go wrong.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Krad posted:

That's bull, we're getting a freakin' Flash show, there's no excuse at this point.

Flash is pretty cheap to make when you think about it. You just need blurr effects for when he's going fast, maybe CGI some effects like a tornado once in a while, then sometimes you need to drop cash on certain villains.

It's not like say Green Lantern where you need a dump truck of money for the CGI to create his ring effect he uses all the time.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

You mean giant foam hulk-hands to punch things with?

Let's take a look at the special effects of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00xwYNweL0

(Even String Foo is painful to pull off)

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Deadpool posted:

That sounds a lot to me like "We want a comic book show but not too comic booky" which is a bad approach.

Actually I think this is a good approach and instills me with more faith in the show. Usually a live action series trying to go "comic-booky" like Smallville did turns to crap.

Deadpool posted:

And this one just gives me bad Smallville flashbacks.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/

Also he said they will do The Joker. Which is not comforting news either.

Eh the point that he's pretty committed to featuring Gordon and not going down into Batman land is pretty good. Also that he recognizes the Joker as the "crown jewel" of the Batman universe is another point towards not loving up.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Pigbog posted:

Smallville's problem was that it wasn't comic-booky enough, and the more comic-booky it got the better it got. If you want to make a tv show that is not comic-booky, you shouldn't base it on a comic-book.

Really?

In early Smallville the best parts of the show were Clarks relationship with Lex Luthor and Lex's relationship with Linole Luthor (Infact everything with Luthor senior was awesome). Also the only good villain was Linole Luthor. And Chloe was also pretty awesome.

However almost all the "meteor freak" comic-esque badguys were terrible, virtually every villain they brought out to fight Clark from the comics was awful. By the end, when they had the most comic book moment possible, they had Clark punch Apocalypse the planet into the sun.

No if this is a show that focus more on the psychology and origins of these villains as well as Gordon and Batman, I think it will be good.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

I love that by the end of this show apparently Jim Gordon will have met every single Arkham regular as a child. Like, at some point after Batman shows up and these kids all start going nuts he's got to go, "Why has every child I've come into contact with become a masked murderer/thief."

Actually I kind of like that. Instead of the bs theory that Batman himself is the cause for all of these crazy masked murderers to rise up, it's being made clear in this show that Gotham's corruption is creating them. Riddler was going to become who he is because people treat him like poo poo, Catwoman will become the way she is out of necessity, and so on.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

Its going to be Gordon's good nature, honesty, integrity and inability to compromise that create all these insane supervillains in the future.

Or delay their rise.

Let's be honest, if Gordon wasn't around Riddler would have already going on a crime spree.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

I don't think it's lying. The name of Episode 17 is Red Hood

Looks like they are doing the Joker's origin.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Agreed. The origin story was poo poo but I thought the performance was fantastic.

Also "no origin story" doesn't work unless he's a lot older than Batman or is some criminal wunderkind and to me, Kid Joker who's 100% Joker is somehow worse.

I don't know, I like the "no origin story" thing because it gives the Joker a supernatural like quality. Part of the charm of Heath Ledger's Joker was that he had no origin which made it almost as if he was the devil in human form.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I didn't say it was a bad idea. I said it wouldn't work on Gotham unless A) he's significantly older than Bruce and I always got the impression Batman and the Joker are supposed to be close in age to drive home that the truth is they're a couple steps away from being the same or B) you have "fully formed wunderkind Joker" which is this criticism cranked up to 11.

Fair enough. Although in quite a few portrayls he's shown as significantly holder than Bruce. Jack Nicholson's Joker was definitely a decade and a bit older than Batman and Mask of the Phantasm showed Joker was also Bruce's senior. So it wouldn't be out of place for him to be older.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

hard counter posted:

It is weird that Gordon is supposed to end up with Barbara tho...

Is he? He gets married to her and divorces her, but in some stories she doesn't even give birth to batgirl (she's sometimes adopted).

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

For me the show is the guy that plays the Penguin. It should be about him.

bpower posted:

Absolutely, I can't believe how good that actor is.

He is the main reason I keep tuning in.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you totally misread that.

He likely whispered into her ear that he was into BDSM. There was nothing in that room to suggest it was anything other than a kinky sex den.

I don't know, I didn't get the impression she was frightened by what she saw. I'm also thinking "serial killer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

Isn't Maroni still alive when Batman comes around?

Yup. Maroni is in fact one of Batman's primary mafia villain.

• Locked thread