Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
According to Batman Year One Bruce was 25 when he came back to Gotham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I said before and I stand by the idea that for this to really work as a prequel to Batman's debut, then things CAN'T get better.

Well, they could have Gordon make progress only for it to be a pyrrhic victory, with his diluting the influence of the mob over Gotham paving the way for the crazier, more outlandish super-villains to take control, necessitating the birth of the Batman to help clean it up. It puts the cart before the horse somewhat compared to the comics, where the existence of Batman inspires the super-villains, but this show is going to have to diverge from its source material for the sake of having enough plots to last a few seasons.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Like I said earlier, you could show Gordon making progress against regular organized crime, only for his success to open up the field for over-the-top crazies like Cobblepot and Sionis to step in and begin Gotham's slide into complete insanity. Then Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CuwiKhons posted:

I've been thinking about this episode again and I'm really irritated at the "no psychologists for Bruce" thing. Alfred knows that Bruce is self harming. He's also ten years old. If you're the guardian of a ten year old who has been through some serious trauma and is reacting to it by hurting himself, it's time to talk to a psychologist, whether he loving wants to or not.

No, you have to trust that a ten-year-old experiencing post traumatic distress knows what's best for himself!

Seriously, this show is so dumb and over the top and hammy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Papa Wayne didn't specifically forbid Alfred from having Bruce see a psychiatrist, he just told him to trust Bruce to know what's best for himself.

Which is probably even stupider, especially given how literally Alfred seems to have taken that advice.

EDIT: The dialogue implied, at least to me, that the no psychiatrist thing was Bruce's order, not his dad's.

ALFRED: No psychiatrists. That's a rule.

GORDON: You make the rules, don't you? You're his guardian.

ALFRED: Now, Bruce's father gave me very firm orders was him and his missus to die. Now I will raise the boy the way his father told me to raise him.

GORDON: Which is how?

ALFRED: Trust him to choose his own course. He is, after all, a Wayne.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I hope this doesn't become one of those threads that's almost unreadable outside of the running commentary as the show actually airs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Right now this show is dancing gleefully on a knife edge between "charmingly ludicrous" and "unwatchably bad". I hope it keeps that up, but I'd be surprised. More likely it loses my interest before the first season finale.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No way is Gotham anywhere the same (justice) league as Arrow, The Flash, or even Agents of SHIELD (now that it's gotten good). It's sitting solidly at the bottom of my list of shows that I actually watch on a weekly basis, but it is hangin' in there. Barely.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Constantine and Agent Carter are, since comic book shows seem to be on a bit of a hot streak.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just let the CW make shows of whatever DC property they want. No bullshit embargoes or restrictions. Let them create a whole unified DC universe of shows. Marvel can own the theatres while DC owns TV.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember Hannibal being pretty good about not spelling things out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen the Catwoman movie but when I heard about how bad it was, all I could think was that it couldn't have been as bad as that scene in Daredevil where Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner fight in the school playground while the kids watch and cheer. Then I saw this:

:stare:

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

precision posted:

Growing up I always thought the Penguin was British. I mean, "Oswald Cobblepot"?!

Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

And the infection.

It's a beer bottle. The alcohol sterilized it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Now they just need to cast Abe Vigoda for an "actors everyone thought was dead" hat trick.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"We have your girlfriend!"

"No, you don't. She left town!"

"She came back to town and immediately came to me to beg for your life!"

"Hah! There's no way she'd be dumb enough to do that!

"...

"And if she was I'm probably better off with a new girlfriend, anyways."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Best Batman is subjective. Personally, I like the animated Kevin Conroy Batman best. Keaton was awesome, though. Bale was certainly one of my least favourite things about the Nolan films.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Harvey was already crazy pre-disfiguring in the animated series. He had a second personality named Big Bad Harv.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This show is so awesome because whenever I watch any other show with poorly written female characters I can just say to myself, "Well, at least they're not Barbara Gordon!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Uhm...no? This is a bad show. It has the very dubious distinction of being watchably bad, but it's still very, very bad. If you don't like people pointing out how bad a show is...don't read threads about bad shows?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everyone is saying why it's bad. Overwrought dialogue, stupid plotting, dumb characters, Barbara, the list goes on and on every single week and it's just about all anyone talks about in this thread. Seriously, have you even been reading?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, you don't get it! Once you're over 35 you're old, man. Like, you might as well just lie down and die, y'know? Like...Batman fighting someone in their forties?!? Jeez, they'd probably fall down and break their hip before he even got there, dude!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Penguin and Nygma might be in their mid- to late-forties, but neither of them are physical adversaries. And that's still not that old. Robert Downey Jr. is almost fifty and he's still rockin' out as Iron Man.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

The Penguin isn't really a physical adversary, but The Riddler and Two-Face are. Also Iron Man is a suit of battle-armor not a guy running around punching people.

Riddler is, by definition, a cerebral enemy. And I guess you haven't seen Iron Man 3 where running around and punching people out of his armour is most of what Tony does.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Clearly you missed the Jackson family cameo episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Obviously Barb finds solace in the arms of Alfred's visiting brother, because Batgirl is Alfred's niece.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know if this show has it in them to play the long game, but if they do I'd assume they'd draw out the development of characters like Riddler and Penguin over several seasons. If they don't...well, they're going to find themselves scrambling to draw things out until Bruce is old enough to be Batman or (more likely) the show gets cancelled.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
In my mind the Joker has always just been a normal, boring, run-of-the-mill guy who just snapped. For absolutely no observable reason. Maybe it was hearing a news story about Batman. Maybe it was being bullied by his co-workers. Maybe it was nothing at all. He just quietly goes insane one day, then goes in to work and brutally slaughters everyone there, then goes home and carves himself a permanent grin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sub Rosa posted:

Part of the charm of the Batman/Joker dynamic, though, is that they are in so many ways really just the same. As Joker himself puts it in Killing Joke, that they are both the product of one particularly bad day.

He also implies that it's most likely a lie. Personally, I like the idea of a quietly insane guy who just sees a news story on Batman on the television one night and says to himself, "Oh, is that what's happening now? Okay, time to kill some people, I guess."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, and you can accuse your fellow officers of murder based on the eyewitness testimony of hobos so you can discredit them and steal their fiancées!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shadow posted:

Bloody hell. Those comments. :negative:

Never. Read. The comments.

Never.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

But if you don't read the comments, how can you know what the Internet is thinking?

If you really, really need to know what the prevailing opinion of Internet commenters is then go out, eat a whole lot of Indian food, then eat even more Mexican food, then wait a few hours, take the sloppiest, smelliest, most anus-scorching poo poo imaginable, then get down on your hands and knees, get your head right down there in the bowl, and take a good, healthy whiff. Then console yourself that what you just experienced is barely a fraction as odious as the real thing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Alternately, lick a bus station bathroom floor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Didn't they stop all the kids from getting shipped off to Doll Island?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sepsis sets in because of a sloppy, unlicensed eye transplant.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So the phone number on the call display in the Ogre's sex dungeon had a 405 area code. That means Gotham's in Oklahoma. Who'd have guessed?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Solomon Mooney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow, Jada Pinkett-Smith's décolletage was...distracting this episode.

• Locked thread