Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Y'all're lucky, drinking to forget just makes me more miserable. I can drink happily nowadays because the best candidate for the Republicans is still Jeb Bush, and they're showing signs of thinking it would be a good idea to attack Hillary Clinton over her husband's infidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Magres posted:

Oh, other booze suggestion - Rum and Rootbeer, using Kraken Rum for your rum. Stuff's not super expensive and the vanilla flavoring makes it go fantastically well with Rootbeer.

Spiced rum and a really flavorful ginger beer is also excellent

Caros
May 14, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Y'all're lucky, drinking to forget just makes me more miserable. I can drink happily nowadays because the best candidate for the Republicans is still Jeb Bush, and they're showing signs of thinking it would be a good idea to attack Hillary Clinton over her husband's infidelity.

You say that like it won't be effective for a large number of Americans.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Tonight Thom Tillis, widely viewed as an establishment GOP candidate when weighed against his party competitors, avoided a primary runoff for the North Carolina Senate election where he will run against Kay Hagan. My home state does not fail to remark.

Noted House leader Mitch McConnell

Some down-ticket fun.

And yes, I am picking low hanging fruit. I regret nothing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I usually just pound High Life when I'm reading this thread or when I'm not reading this thread, is this acceptable y/n

Anyway, is there any truth to the impeachment rumors, or is it all just so much empty base-riling? Tell me the House isn't that crazy, yet.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Wolfsheim posted:

I usually just pound High Life when I'm reading this thread or when I'm not reading this thread, is this acceptable y/n

Anyway, is there any truth to the impeachment rumors, or is it all just so much empty base-riling? Tell me the House isn't that crazy, yet.

Also, who gets to impeach Alito and Thomas for making paid appearance to Koch events and then not recusing themselves from pertinent cases?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i suspect that OP is a drat dirty liberal. drat biases in the media!

Speaking of drinks, I picked up a terrible bottle of rosemary infused rum. I have not dared sip it yet, but i did smell it and it smelled like it could take the chrome off my engine block.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fried Chicken posted:

please continue booze suggestions here

Trader Joe's has handles of rum for $6.99 in San Francisco. Don't buy any, I want it all for myself. For really good booze, Highland Park 12 is worth up to $50 a bottle and someone please review Scapa's current offering and report back.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

ReidRansom posted:

And if you've got ginger beer and vodka, may as well mix up a Moscow Mule or two+. Just add limes and traditionally, a copper mug.

That sounds really tasty. I'm going to try this one. Boy, do you guys know your booze.

I dranks just the white.

What the hey, since you may not view the NC threads, I got a flyer in the mail:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cimber posted:

i suspect that OP is a drat dirty liberal.

I'd argue I'm a conservative. I just mean that in the Burkean sense, of applying a realist perspective to changes needed to continue past trends of US dominance in world leadership, not the modern reactionary sense that the GOP defines it as. Of course, between the reactionaries working to break everything for the past 40 years, the shifting of the overton window, and the severity of the response needed to correct the damage done over the past 40 years (or longer when you want to talk about policies of racial disadvantagement or climate change) the modern spectrum puts me far afield. I'm basically a science focused Eisenhower republican, which puts me somewhere to the left of Robespierre to most people.

I forgot to include the stuff on the Benghazi select committee in the op, I'll have to add it tonight. Latest news is that Boehner wants it to be a 7-5 GOP-Dem split for makeup and the Dems are demanding equal seats or they won't participate.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SnakePlissken posted:

That sounds really tasty. I'm going to try this one. Boy, do you guys know your booze.

I dranks just the white.

What the hey, since you may not view the NC threads, I got a flyer in the mail:

"Web-cam abortions" :confused: What in the hell?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Magres posted:

I love White Russians, personally.

Not sure what it's called, but adding some Irish Cream to the mix is amazing.

That along with a Mark and Stormy are my favorite drinks. A M&S is Maker's Mark, ginger beer (not ale), and lime.

It's sad that watching Morning Joe while at the gym this morning made me want to immediately go home and drink. drat work getting in the way. Someone please tell me things will get better. I already know they'll probably get worse after the midterms.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Caros posted:

You say that like it won't be effective for a large number of Americans.

It won't matter for the people who matter, and vise versa.

It seems like it matters to you.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Mo_Steel posted:

"Web-cam abortions" :confused: What in the hell?
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/133182875/Growing-Controversy-Surrounds-Telemed-Abortions. Woman visits clinic; doctor does not (e.g. because the clinic is remote and the doctor needs to cover half the goddamned state, or because abortion doctors require hospital privileges and Republicans have intimidated local hospitals into revoking the privileges of all "baby killers").

Clinic staff do prelim tests (e.g. sonograms) and necessary paperwork beforehand. Doctor talks with woman via Skype videoconference; answers her questions; verifies that she is a good candidate for the procedure and that there are no contraindications. If all goes well, doctor prescribes abortifacient drug (to be dispensed immediately by staff at the clinic); doctor uses Skype to verify that patient has taken the first dose and checks for any immediate side-effects or adverse reactions (which might require further monitoring or hospitalization). The standard drug regimen involves a 48-hour delay between doses; I think that the second dose is taken without doctor supervision.

The fetus is subsequently miscarried (e.g. cervical dilation, cramping, heavy menses), presumably at the patient's home. Clinic staff are supposed to followup with the patient, run some routine tests, and contact the doctor for further support if complications arise.

A few women have died from complications (due to missing/inadequate medical supervision and followup) but I suspect that most of the opposition arises from the fact that this procedure makes abortion more available (or simply "available at all" in some areas).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GulMadred posted:

A few women have died from complications (due to missing/inadequate medical supervision and followup) but I suspect that most of the opposition arises from the fact that this procedure makes abortion more available (or simply "available at all" in some areas).

Ding ding ding. No one (on either side of the debate) is fooled by the transparent attempts to made abortion illegal again but I guess the pro-life side has to maintain the charade for the eventual SCOTUS case so Roberts can claim that "no one would think that making abortion impossible to get would make it de facto illegal so it's totally ok!"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Wolfsheim posted:

All I know is that my gym had Fox News on this morning and all you could see is "The White House is to blame if the Select Committee doesn't find anything."

So, yeah, the base is already riled and depending on how they do in the mid-terms, I'd say the chances aren't that terrible that we could hear more of the talk spring up. Most of what's being said by Republican rank and file about Benghazi is conclusions, not questions. They're not even asking if the administration covered something up, they're flat out saying it.

The resolution(found here) doesn't just investigate the attacks but also "internal and public executive branch communications about the attacks on United States facilities in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012;". They can keep hammering home the fact that the White House released redacted info in emails ad nauseum.

e: fixed link

edit 2: Also fun is "NOTE: The Select Committee will have a majority-minority party ratio of seven-to-five. Under the previous Democratic majority, then-Speaker Pelosi established a Select Committee with a more partisan nine-to-six ratio."

That nine to six committee? Global Warming and Energy Independence. :eng99:

Robviously fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Obama is going to release the legal memos on drone killings. But only to the senate, in secret, and not to use peons in whose name it is being done.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/world/n...a72c_story.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey guys, just swinging by to tell you that you're all wrong and that poor adults (not children) deserve to be ground into a fine powder to be used to pave the streets. Thanks!

I find it pretty funny that Clay Aiken has a better chance at getting a seat than Steve Wiles. NC is kinda awesome sometimes.

Fried Chicken: you have an url tag wrong in the OP and you didn't accredit me with the thread title :arghfist::qq:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Robviously posted:

So, yeah, the base is already riled and depending on how they do in the mid-terms, I'd say the chances aren't that terrible that we could hear more of the talk spring up. Most of what's being said by Republican rank and file about Benghazi is conclusions, not questions. They're not even asking if the administration covered something up, they're flat out saying it.

So I guess Fox News and the GOP have graduated from asking loaded questions "Did the White House do nothing to stop Benghazi???!?!" to just making statements now.

That's sad. I always enjoyed Fox News' little murder-mystery-esque headlines.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Credit where credit is due, Phone is the one who actually used "Everything is hosed, with an emphasis on everything" in reference to North Carolina's redistricting ruling out anything ever getting better. I just quoted it in a national political context, and put the thread title before it.

Phone posted:

Fried Chicken: you have an url tag wrong in the OP and you didn't accredit me with the thread title :arghfist::qq:

Solidarity forever, fellow despairposter.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 7, 2014

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sleepingbuddha posted:

Not sure what it's called, but adding some Irish Cream to the mix is amazing.

If I'm not mistaken its a 'blind russian'? Anyways, the ultimate drink is:

2 shots of vodka
1 shot of Kahlua
2 shots of Amarula

Get yourself some sugar clogged drunk arteries.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Amergin posted:

So I guess Fox News and the GOP have graduated from asking loaded questions "Did the White House do nothing to stop Benghazi???!?!" to just making statements now.

That's sad. I always enjoyed Fox News' little murder-mystery-esque headlines.

No, no, there was still plenty of " What else is the White House hiding?!" going on. Those headlines will never go away. They're just asking questions! :smuggo:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Wolfsheim posted:

All of the above. It's empty base riling, but I'm assuming that come 2015 (or maybe even this year) some of the crazies in the House will try it anyway. Impeachment obviously won't go anywhere, but that hasn't stopped the 50 or so ACA repeal attempts.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

This has the chance to backfire spectacularly, because not only does it paint Hillary Clinton in a sympathetic light, it also brings back memories of the impeachment hearings, and what a shitshow the Republicans caused back then. It also has a chance to induce 90's nostalgia: "Man, I remember when Bill Clinton getting a blowjob was the biggest thing we had to worry about. I miss those times, the economy was great, the budget was balanced and everyone had good paying jobs." Obviously, this nostalgia is somewhat tinted and revisionist, but that's one more reason attacking Bill Clinton may backfire spectacularly.

Also yeah, fix the link in the OP please.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so I don't mean to circle-jerk about it, and I acknowledge his flaws but, given the repeated mention of actual issues in the OP (as opposed to just politicians), is there any reason you didn't add Matt Taibi to the OP under reporters? He's not perfect, but there's good reasons so many of us like him.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dancer posted:

Hey, so I don't mean to circle-jerk about it, and I acknowledge his flaws but, given the repeated mention of actual issues in the OP (as opposed to just politicians), is there any reason you didn't add Matt Taibi to the OP under reporters? He's not perfect, but there's good reasons so many of us like him.

Where the hell is he? He quit Rolling Stone and is supposed to join that Glenn Greenwald/Pierre Omidyar operation but, I haven't seen anything from him since he quit. I may be wrong, but the most recent thing Greenwald put out was in the Guardian. Is that other operation ever gonna make it off the ground? Did Taibbi jump into a thing that's never really gonna happen?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dancer posted:

Because he isn't writing anymore. He is supposed to be an editor for a new digital magazine. But First Look Media has been curiously silent since the latest round of Omidyar releases, not putting anything out on existing channels and no news about what his digital magazine will look like.

Plus it was pushing 1 am when I wrapped that op up. I left off Benghazi, Bloomberg news, links to the election forecasts, vox, upshot, veep, the latest va controversy, cliven Bundy, Colbert leaving Comedy Central, the climate change report, new reports on solar cells, college rape, and about half the people clam morning for president in 2016.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

Where the hell is he? He quit Rolling Stone and is supposed to join that Glenn Greenwald/Pierre Omidyar operation but, I haven't seen anything from him since he quit. I may be wrong, but the most recent thing Greenwald put out was in the Guardian. Is that other operation ever gonna make it off the ground? Did Taibbi jump into a thing that's never really gonna happen?

Charitably, they tried to grab early social media hype by promoting the endeavor before it was ready to roll. Less charitably, their boss is under fire now, and they have the choice of journalistic integrity and ripping him to poo poo, or having a job. Then there is the Matt Bruening theory of getting a monopoly on critical information, getting the critics wrapped up in legalese as they take jobs to try to access that critical information, and burying the whole thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Almost every night at the gym, I'll watch whatever is on ESPN at the time. The TV that shows Fox News just so happens to be right next to the ESPN TV. I've seen more Fox News than I'd care to admit, especially The Five. They are just the most smug, racist shitheads with deplorable opinions ever. Last night they were talking about Prince's announcement to stop cursing in his songs and it devolved into "This is good because BLACK RAPPERS swear every other word in their songs and that's why everything is poo poo today."

Sadly, I've actually seen a few moments of humanity and have even laughed a few times. That doesn't make up for them being just awful human beings.

Even more sadly, I can see why Fox News kills CNN just from a production standpoint. CNN is so loving garbage, it is visually painful to watch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Taibbi also, you know, published a book that he's been promoting everywhere outside SA.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

The Midniter posted:

Even more sadly, I can see why Fox News kills CNN just from a production standpoint. CNN is so loving garbage, it is visually painful to watch.

The production difference between the two (and compared to other news stations) is one of the topics I found interesting in Gabriel Sherman's recent media blitz on his recent book on Roger Ailes (Fox News president), The Loudest Voice in the Room.

Roger Ailes comes from television and uses Fox News as a story-telling, drama-dispensing channel that's more about being bombastic than enlightening people and keeping them up to date on the news. The polished production folds into this view of a successful news channel and, sadly, has only encouraged other major news stations to try and keep up rather than focus on objective, data-based reporting (except C-SPAN because C-SPAN).

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
As a newcomer, I find it hilarious that the whole first page of USA politics thread is just full of booze talk. You guys really have lost hope, haven't you?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SnowblindFatal posted:

As a newcomer, I find it hilarious that the whole first page of USA politics thread is just full of booze talk. You guys really have lost hope, haven't you?

It's so much loosing hope, it's just liquid shelter from the storm. But really, everything is hosed, emphasis on everything. :smithicide:

e: Oh, and someone was asking about rum in the last thread. I'm not much of a rum drinker besides a rum & coke every now and then, but I've heard good things about the kraken.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 7, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Taibbi also, you know, published a book that he's been promoting everywhere outside SA.

Yeah he's all over NPR for example.

SnowblindFatal posted:

I laugh at the suffering of liquor snobs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SnowblindFatal posted:

Today my state legislature overrode the governor's veto of a "race to the bottom" tax cut on the wealthy, the IPCC report's warnings and advice is being ignored, one of the mayors of a local town is talking about seceding from the county because the town's grown enough that it now gives more tax money to the county than it gets back, and that's just the front page of the paper.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SnowblindFatal posted:

We've lost the plot, just like Russia in the 80's / 90's

Someone has to point us in a new direction for the 21st century, and I doubt the complacent and sick two-party system can do that. The post-WW2 plot of 'America as innocent freedom warrior' will continue to be flogged for short term economic gain and lizard-brain political appeal; and the dying GOP will try to save itself and entrench the existing two-party arrangement through dirty legal tricks.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

SnowblindFatal posted:

The political system in America has become absolutely untenable. In our absolute Us vs Them political system it's more important to sabotage the other team than it is to actually govern. Add to that the media figuring out that it can make millions of dollars telling people what they want to hear as opposed to doing actual journalism and you end up with a system where all the money and power is in creating conflict instead of solving problems.

Welcome to America! Have a drink.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ufarn posted:

Well gently caress me I thought that wasn't out until September

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mooyashi posted:

Tonight Thom Tillis, widely viewed as an establishment GOP candidate when weighed against his party competitors, avoided a primary runoff for the North Carolina Senate election where he will run against Kay Hagan.

What we have to look forward to for the next six months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ewESI51s4

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you all are going to be despair drinking, just cut to the chase and pound away at the forties. They carry social stigma for a reason.

Any update on projections for the Senate next year? Like, are people still expecting Republicans to take the majority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

RadicalWall posted:

The political system in America has become absolutely untenable. In our absolute Us vs Them political system it's more important to sabotage the other team than it is to actually govern. Add to that the media figuring out that it can make millions of dollars telling people what they want to hear as opposed to doing actual journalism and you end up with a system where all the money and power is in creating conflict instead of solving problems.

Welcome to America! Have a drink.

One party wants to, at the very least, prevent collapse, while the other wants to burn the house down and nuke the site from orbit to prevent any house from being built there ever again. Our political system is not untenable; one party and the portion of the electorate that votes for them is so vitriolic, hateful, ignorant, and stupid that they are untenable, and never were tenable.

• Locked thread