Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Fifty Shades of Purple: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Video Link- “Victory Intro Movie”

Watch

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory was created by the mental terrorists at Idea Factory and Compile Heart, and is the third game in that series. It’s a direct sequel to the prior game, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, which in turn was an indirect sequel to Hyperdimension Neptunia (it had the same setting and many of the same characters but otherwise just acted like the first game didn’t happen). All three games tell the story of Gamindustri, the land of video games. In the first two games, an evil goddess named Arfoire threatened the destruction of the world (though amusingly the only thing in common between the original Arfoire and the one in Mk2 was who voiced them). Victory picks up a few years after Mk2 ends.

Victory once again swings back to our original main character, CPU Neptune. She’s intended as a theoretical next-gen Sega system, and isn’t terribly bright. We’ve also got a new main character we’ll be meeting in a bit, she’s pretty awesome and that’s all I’ll say. It changes around some things that weren’t entirely successful in Mk2’s gameplay and in turn has a few new minor problems. It’s also pretty loving hard to be quite honest and I’m eventually going to break out some DLC to help skip out on some grinding. I’ve also got the DLC characters, who are pretty numerous and useful this time around.

The Plight of the Cast of Characters:

Hyperdimension:

CPU Neptune: Also known as Purple Heart. The CPU of Planeptune, which is inexplicably the most advanced nation in Gamindustri. She is incredibly lazy and terrible at any aspect of her job that doesn’t involve violence, which she is very good at to be fair.

CPU Nepgear: Also known as Purple Sister. The CPU Candidate of Planeptune, which means she’s Neptune’s younger sister. She’s smart, responsible, and just in general the opposite of Neptune. Tends to be taken advantage of.

Histoire: The Oracle of Planeptune. In theory Histoire is here to help run Planeptune, but in practice she does most of the actual day to day work. Neptune calls her Histy because Neptune can't remember names longer than five letters.

CPU Blanc: Also known as White Heart. The CPU of Lowee. Despite the family friendly image of her nation, she’s a burning volcano of rage simmering under a thin veneer of calm. Loves to read.

CPU Ram: Also known as White Sister. A CPU Candidate from Lowee, which means she's Blanc's younger sister. She's inherited her sister's awful temper, and can be kind of a pain when she gets bored. She's bored a lot.

CPU Rom: Also also known as White Sister, which is kind of confusing. The other CPU Candidate from Lowee, which means she's also Blanc's younger sister. She's inherited her sister's quiet side, and can be a bit shy.

CPU Noire: Also known as Black Heart. The CPU of Lastation. Neptune is the closest thing she has to a friend, which is the saddest thing. She’s pretty abrasive, but hard-working.

CPU Uni: Also known as Black Sister. The CPU Candidate of Lastation, and Noire's sister. She's like a smaller Noire in pretty much every way. Has exactly one more friend than her sister, since she'll sort of admit to being friends with Nepgear.

CPU Vert: Also known as Green Heart. The CPU of Leanbox. Probably the most friendly of the CPUs. Plays MMOs all day.

IF: A friend of Neptune's. Works for the Guild in Planeptune.

Compa: A friend of Neptune's. Has somehow managed to graduate nursing school despite constantly being dragged into adventures.

Rei Ryghts: The leader of a "group" that wants the CPUs to step down. She's got no confidence and is kind of a basket case.

???: A strange entity who appeared to Rei Ryghts and forcefed her a creepy glowing thing. Extremely rude. Bears more than a passing resemblance to Histoire.

Another World:

CPU Plutia: The CPU of another Planeptune. Also known as Iris Heart. Is a bit spacey. Seems pretty nice, but says some very ominous things at times. When she transforms, things get quite scary.

Noire: A friend of Plutia's. She is definitely not the CPU of a nation called Lastation, though she does think that's kind of a cool name and she does want to become a CPU. Became the CPU Black Heart, even though she's in grey.

Blanc: The CPU of Lowee, also known as White Heart. Dresses a bit differently than our Blanc, but seems just as much of a powder keg of pure rage.

Vert: A pretty lady we ran into in Lowee. She's definitely not a CPU and has never even heard the world Leanbox before, so why don't you shut up about her being the CPU of Leanbox right now okay? Also it turns out there is a Leanbox, which just showed up off the coast one day.

Histoire: The Oracle of Plutia's Planeptune. Is a lot like our Histoire, but is a lot smaller and seems not to have quite as much processing power.

Compa: A baby taken in by Planeptune's Basilicom. Bears an uncanny resemblance to someone Neptune knows. Still living at the Basilicom several years later.

IF: A baby taken in by Planeptune's Basilicom. Bears an uncanny resemblance to someone Neptune knows. Still living at the Basilicom several years later.

Peashy: A baby taken in by Planeptune's Basilicom. Kind of violent, and very strong. Neptune calls her P-ko. She was taken away by someone who claimed to be her father after a big bitch fit.

Rei: One of the Seven Sages. Seems quite a bit like the Rei from the Hyperdimension we met earlier.

Abnes: One of the Seven Sages. She's basically just a little girl. Handles public relations for the group, despite being wholly unsuited for such thanks to her awful personality. Quit the Seven Sages after learning they were kidnapping children.

Arfoire: One of the Seven Sages. A creepy goth chick who bears a more than passing resemblance to the evil goddess from the first Neptunia and shares a name with the villain of both prior games. Decided to leave the Seven Sages, pissed off about her poor treatment by said organization.

Pirachu: One of the Seven Sages. A rat who bears more than a passing resemblance to a famous yellow rat from a game about small children forcing monsters to battle. Likes to use the word "chump". Plutia used him as a whip, and now he freaks out whenever he sees her.

Copypaste: One of the Seven Sages. A machine for duplicating game cartridges. He's very loud and claimed to be the strongest of the Seven Sages, but got a bit blown up after a fight the the CPUs of Lastation and Planeptune. Whoops. Then he got blown up again in Lowee, and this time wasn't recovered so he's probably dead? Ten years later, he has been rebuilt and is now an ultra patriotic Lowee robot working for Blanc.

Mister Badd: The minister of Lowee. Always talks in rear end in a top hat business cliches. Is actually one of the Seven Sages.

Anonydeath: One of the Seven Sages. An expert hacker, he's kind of effeminate and has a huge crush on Noire.

CPU Yellow Heart: A CPU working with the Seven Sages. Has a cup size higher than her IQ. Is totally not someone we know, for reals. Surprising nobody, she was in fact Peashy. Is now a fourth CPU for Planeptune after regaining her memories.

DLC Characters:

Broccoli: A little girl riding on a weird thing summoned by Mister Izawa. Neptune calls her Puchiko, which really pisses her off.

Falcom: An adventuress summoned by Mister Izawa. Is not the Falcom we met in Mk2, but is very similar in many ways.

Cyberconnect2: A high-tech looking girl summoned by Mister Izawa. Quite enthusiastic.

MarvelousAQL: A ninja with large... assets summoned by Mister Izawa. Actually works for Neptune's Basilicom, as it turns out, so this was convenient.

MAGES.: A magician summoned by Mister Izawa. Was researching timeleap magic.

Tekken: A fighter summoned by Mister Izawa. Looks weak, but is shockingly strong.

Falcom: Another Falcom, this one from the Hyperdimension. Appeared in about the same way the Ultradimension's did, and joined up because she's BFFs with Nepgear.

The Plight of the Table of Contents:
Episode 1: The Plight of the Working CPU in Modern Times
Episode 2: The Plight of the Gaming Proletariat
Episode 3: The Plight of the Falling CPU
Episode 4: The Plight of the Downloadable Content
Episode 5: The Plight of a Little Girl
Episode 6: The Plight of the CPU, Iris Heart
Episode 7: The Plight of Two Histoires
Episode 8: The Plight of the Napping CPU
Episode 9: The Plight of the Loneliest CPU
Episode 10: The Plight of the Upset Oracle
Episode 11: The Plight of the Hothead CPU
Episode 12: The Plight MIGHT of the Seven Sage, COPYPAAAAASTE!
Episode 13: The Plight of Time's Flow
Episode 14: The Plight of Plutia, Annoyed
Episode 15: The Plight of a Pretty Lady From Far Away
Episode 16: The Plight of the Overconfident CPU
Episode 17: The Plight of the Pig and the Angry Goddess
Episode 18: The Plight of Plutia's Children
Episode 19: The Plight of Balancing Work With Motherhood
Episode 20: The Plight of a Cold Nation
Episode 21: The Plight of an Anxious Sister
Episode 22: The Plight of Nepgear, Left Behind
Episode 23: The Plight of the Extended Boob Joke
Episode 24: The Plight of Leanbox's Launch
Episode 25: The Plight of the Gullible Sister
Episode 26: The Plight of Leanbox Under Attack
Episode 27: The Plight of Three Nations Under Attack
Episode 28: The Plight of the Necessary Key Items
Episode 29: The Plight of the Plot, On the Wayside: Part One
Episode 30: The Plight of the Plot, On the Wayside: Part Two
Episode 31: The Plight of the Plot, On the Wayside: Part Three
Episode 32: The Plight of Lastation's Information Security
Episode 33: The Plight of Copypaste's Last Hurrah
Episode 34: The Plight of Some Strange Monsters
Episode 35: They Took the Kids
Episode 36: The Plight of Arfoire
Episode 37: The Plight of Neptune, Motivated
Episode 38: The Plight of the Key Items, Redux
Episode 39: The Plight of the Mystery Robot
Episode 40: The Plight of the Troll
Episode 41: The Plight of the Super Robot
Episode 42: The Plight of Peashy's Dad
Episode 43: The Plight of the CPUs, Utterly Defeated- PART ONE
Episode 44: The Plight of the CPUs, Utterly Defeated- PART TWO
Episode 45: Ten Years Later
Episode 46: The Plight of Ninjutsu
Episode 47: The Plight of Marvy's Past
Episode 48: The Plight of Arfoire, Unappreciated
Episode 49: The Plight of Another Kidnapping
Episode 50: The Plight of a True Friend
Episode 51: The Plight of Yellow Heart's Identity
Episode 52: The Plight of Our Team, Motivated
Episode 53: The Plight of the Brief Interlude
Episode 54: Mister Badd's Last Gig
Episode 55: The Plight of Memories
Episode 56: The Plight of Delicious Cake
Episode 57: The Plight of Bert
Episode 58: The Plight of the Past
Episode 59: The Plight of Eggplants
Episode 60: The Color Purple
Episode 61: The Plight of the Seven Sages Reunion
Episode 62: The Plight of Anonydeath, Captured
Episode 63: The Plight of Rei Ryghts
Episode 64: The Plight of Two Worlds, Ending
Episode 65: Nepstation Season Finale
Episode 66: The Plight of the Way Home
Episode 67: The Plight of the CPU Candidates
Episode 68: The Plight of Planeptune
Episode 69: The Battle Before the End of the World
Episode 70: Epilogue

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Episode 1: The Plight of the Working CPU in Modern Times

We start with a brief introduction to the setting and what happened in the last game for those who were sane enough to avoid the first two games yet were then driven by madness to purchase this one.

Video Link- “Victory Game Start”

Watch

Narrator: Gamindustri is ruled by four CPUs who preside over four different nations.

Narrator: CPU White Heart rules Lowee.

Narrator: CPU Black Heart rules Lastation.

Narrator: CPU Green Heart rules Leanbox.
And…

Narrator: CPU Purple Heart rules Planeptune.
These four nations struggle for supremacy, and the constant shifts in control make the world stable.

Narrator: The four nations banded together and successfully thwarted her ambitions.
Time passed, and Gamindustri once again became a peaceful realm.
That peace did not last long.
Now the curtains rise on four CPUs about to engage in a new war…

The next scene is a direct reference to how the first game started. Screenshots don’t really capture it well, I’d suggest watching the video at least for this section.

I’ve made a terrible mistake… To think the three of you would turn against me…
Oh, come on. The whole point is for us to get rid of each other one at a time.
It’d be a pain in the rear end if –you- are the last one standing, so we’re gonna beat you down first!
Tch, if only Nepgear were here… I shouldn’t have abandoned her!
A bit late for your stupid whining. Get ready to die, bitch!
Please rest assured, Neptune. We won’t torture you. Expect a clean and instantaneous death.
The finishing blow is all mine!
I’ll never lose. Even against the three of you, I will win!

To carry the analogy further, we’re thrown into an unwinnable fight against the other three CPUs. Each of them will spam their ultimate attack until we get dropped, again just as in the original game.

I’ve…

And it’s a huge fakeout. We cut to the CPUs in their normal forms playing a game.

Hmhmhmm. One has fallen. And now I shall take care of those who remain.
What’re you talking about? With Neptune out of the game, you two are just an annoyance.
Boo! That wasn’t fair at all! You all teamed up against me. That’s all sorts of illegal!
Don’t be such a sore loser. Our interests just coincided. That is, killing you off.
It’s important to reflect on the way you live your life day to day. It might give you a reason why.
Aww, I wanted to play, too…
Sorry, darling sis of mine. It’s only a four-player game.
It was Nepgear’s turn, and you ripped the controller away from her. You got what you deserved.
Give me ten seconds. I’ll finish them off and we can start again.

Determined to spoil the party is the Oracle of Planeptune, Histoire. We’ll be getting proper introductions to everyone here soon, so don’t worry.

Nice timing, Histy! We’re out of those chip-flavored crispy thingies. Can you go get more?
I’d prefer something sweet.
Then why don’t we eat the cookies I brought?
Not a bad idea. But if we’re eating cookies, I’d prefer a pot of black tea over green.
I see. I’ll put a fresh pot on right away.

Hey, quit loafin’, Histy! Chip-chop or whatever! Oh, wait, it’s rematch time!
S-Stop! Don’t just begin the match without telling us.
…Time for a break.
Your casual gaming mantra shines through, whereas my vigilant MMO training gives me infinite stamina!

Wha! What’s the crocodilly-o, Histy!?
Such a small thing raising her voice… It mustn’t be good for your heart to get so worked up.
Silence! I –will- raise my voice! Day after day, you four just sit here playing games. You’re CPUs!
What do you think will happen to our world if the CPUs meant to lead it just fool around!?
Wh-What? Histy…are…are you like, upset? For realsies?
N-Now now, Histoire. Please calm down.
And how do you propose I do that!? Nepgear, you are party to this, as well!
You jump at the chance to give them snacks or tea. You spoil them so much that they do not work!
I… I’m so sorry!
Hmph. It is painfully clear that Neptune is a lost cause, but you are talented and serious, so why…
W-Well…
I mean, um, during the last big battle, everyone was suffering, so I thought I’d be really nice…

I mean, working us harder than this has gotta be against some kinda goddess labor law.
For a bit!? Try years! Sit! Tuck those feet under your legs – seiza style, missies!
Today is the day I will pound into your thick skulls just what exactly it means to be a CPU!
Buh-whaaa!? H-Hang on a sec! Just us two? What about them!?
Pardon us, Neptune. I believe we shall be taking our leave now.
You better not give Histoire any forehead wrinkles.
The wisest one is she who avoids danger.
Whoa, you’re running away so fast, I’m surprised your legs aren’t spinning in mid-air!
Pipe down and listen to me! I shall now begin my lecture. The primary duty of any CPU is…

And now, as promised, some introductory material.

Histoire’s lecture will last for quite some time, so allow me to use this chance to introduce us.
First, I’m Neptune’s…no… I am my own person, so…
I am the CPU Candidate of Planeptune, Nepgear. I’m also Neptune’s younger sister.
All of the CPUs’ younger sisters have the title of CPU Candidate, really. So that includes…
Well, I guess we can go over that later.
Oh, but the three CPUs who were just playing with my sister are the leaders of the other nations.
Noire’s from Lastation, Vert’s from Leanbox, and Blanc’s from Lowee.
They argue and quibble a lot, but they’re actually real good friends. I think…
We’re currently getting lectured by Histoire. My sister calls her Histy, but I just say Histoire.
She’s Planeptune’s Oracle and is like our Basilicom’s boss. She helps us handle our workload.
Supposedly she’s neither human nor goddess, but an artificial super-being that knows everything.
I’m sorry. I don’t really know all the details.
Well, the current Gamindustri is really peaceful, so my sister and her friends always play around.
Before, when the Deity of Sin, Arfoire, was revived, our world was nearly destroyed.
Back then, my sister and her CPU allies fought really hard for the sake of our future.
All I’m trying to say is that when my sister and her friends try, they can do anything. Maybe.
Oops. The lecture’s almost over. Sorry to cut off my introductory narrative, but I’ll finish later!

Sh-She’s finally done…
Geh. My legs are all tingly and snoring. Can somebody spare me some Paralaxin…?
W-Wait, Neptune! I can’t seem to stand up either…
And just how long do you two intend to sit there like flies on the wall?
Um, we just said that our legs are asleep…
Histy, your stories last longer than my whole life. My cute thighs are all jello-y now.
Did you learn nothing from my lecture about how a CPU ought to behave and speak?
W-We did, honest…
Then I assume you have both taken a hard look at yourselves and now understand how serious it is, yes?
Well, honestly, I kinda drifted off somewhere around the CPU part…
Shhh! Neptune, that was the –whole- thing!
If you truly understand, then I hope you will put what I said into practice and work hard!
Snaaaaaaap!
Kyaaaaah!

Yes. If we don’t get some work done today, she might get even more upset!
Pffft. I guess we hafta, then. I don’t wanna, but let’s hoof it a bit and beat stuff up.
I can’t believe you…

So now the game spits us out into Planeptune proper and gives us some tutorial information.

The nation screen is set up a bit differently in Victory compared to mk2. For now we have access to only a few of the features. In the Basilicom we can access things like the art, music, and movies we’ve seen (there are also often events there). The Guild lets us pick up quests, which are often necessary to progress the plot. The shop sells things. The event in the Basilicom just explains its functions, and the one at the Guild advances the plot. So let’s do neither of those and check a guy out in the town with another event.

Video Link- “Idol Video”

Watch

Whoa, for real!? It’s been so long, I kinda wanna watch it again!

This was alluded to in mk2 but I don’t think it was actually in the game (or at least not in the US version).

Hahaha, yeah, I remember this. I was such a young starlet…
Um, you look the same.
Kamraman: I have it saved, so you can watch it whenever!
Rad! Thanks, dude!
Doesn’t that mean he has a pirated copy downloaded…?

So now let’s head to the Guild and advance the plot, such as it is.

Pah! I’m their CPU, so why do I gotta go out and –ask- for work? That’s the lamest sauce of all!
Who… are you talking to, Neptune?
Meh, pretend I have a Captain’s Log or something. Anyway, let’s get questing, dear sister of mine!
Right… Which one should we do…?

Let’s take a look at this quest screen really quickly, just so you know how to read them. On the top left we can see our current Quest Rank, which is just a method the game uses to gate quest availability. Below that we have the quest list. This gives us the names, ranks, and general types (hunting or collection) of the quests. It also tells us if a quest is required to progress the plot, which is indicated by the bracketed text.

On the right, we get the details of the quest. We see how many times we can repeat the quest (in this case we can only do it once), what we’re supposed to kill/collect, how it affects Shares, and what our rewards will be. Shares are a mechanic we’ll see more of later, they represent the balance of power of the nations and are largely unimportant fortunately. We can also get a description of why we’re supposed to be doing this, I’ll show those off in a bit when we see the other two quests that also open up in a bit. For now let’s just push on.

From the World Map, we can see all the various nations and dungeons available to us. For now we can just go to Planeptune and the dungeon that just opened up for us. Before we go there, let’s look at one of the ways mechanics changed between mk2 and Victory.

Combos work a bit differently in Victory. We have an amount of CP to spend on putting abilities in our Combo that we have unlocked that depends on our level. Attacks are still split into Rush, Power, and Break categories. Rush attacks do more hits, Power attacks more damage, and Break attacks break the enemy’s guard. We’ll talk about this a bit more when we get to combat. At the moment we can’t extend the combo past one round of attacks.

Heh, now you’re rarin’ to go. Do I see an itty-bitty smile, too?
Ehehehe. It’s been a long time since just the two of us have gone out together.
Oh… really?
Yes. I mean, all you do is sit there and play with Noire and Vert and Blanc, and not me.
Hmm, yeah. I guess that’s true. Sorry-dorry. Making my little sis sad is like a big sis fail, huh?
No, it’s not a fail… Because I waited patiently, I have you all to myself today!

Exploration works basically the same as it did in the previous game, we enter a dungeon area and roam around fighting poo poo, grabbing loot, and triggering events. We engage enemies by either running into them or hitting them with our weapon on the field (which will either give us a pre-emptive attack or instantly kill them if they’re weak). We can also JUMP and holy poo poo will you have to put up with me jumping a lot if and when I include a video of a dungeon because I just jump a lot for no reason.

Combat at the basic level works like it did in mk2, positioning and movement matters quite a bit, as do the size and shape of our attack area.

Basic attacks pretty much never stop being useful, and here’s another summary of them in case you’re more visual.

One of the big changes between mk2 and Victory is that SP now works like a more traditional special resource instead of being something we build up by attacking. Early on we’ll need items to recover SP (though relatively quickly we’ll have access to an item which pretty much breaks the game with respect to being really worried about running out). Skills are our main way of expending SP, and do special things like powerful attacks and support effects.

Our other use for SP is to activate Hard Drive Divinity (from this point forward HDD). This transforms CPUs into their true forms, making them much more powerful. Now HDD is just a straight 20% of your max SP to activate with no upkeep cost, which is a pretty nice balance between the first game (where you’d always HDD as soon as possible because there was no downside or wind-up to doing so) and mk2 where it had a pretty significant opportunity cost and was something you really only did on bosses and even then probably didn’t do for some characters.

You might notice we’ve got an option greyed out here. That’s for a mechanic we don’t have access to yet, and won’t for a bit. For now combat is pretty simple and straightforward. Enemies have an HP and GP bar, and we kill them by depleting the first. The second bar, if depleted, will put an enemy into Guard Break status which makes them take significantly more damage. Break attacks, do this, as mentioned above. That’s pretty much all there is to it for now.

Goodness! Th-That made me jump… Why’d you shout like that?
Lookit my level! I mean, what!? Level 1!? Why, why, why!?
Um, well, you’ve been pretty lazy for years on end, so doesn’t that explain it pretty well?
But, but, but! You’re totally not at level 1! That’s stupid! This is –so- not tubular!
I’ve dropped several levels, too. But still, I did a few odd jobs and I was caring for you, so…
I feel like I’ve been hacked… I was totally level 99, y’know!
I’m even weaker than you! Your big sister’s dignity has been dig-dugged down to…
I-It’s okay! I sure do love my strong sister, but even my weak sister is still… my sister, so…
Gah! And now my little sister is giving me pep talks…
But! But when you really give it your all, you’ll be stronger than me in no time flat. Right?
Great, now I have to get motivated by my little sister… I guess I’ll get my rear in gear!

When we turn in the Quest we do in fact advance the plot, but I’m going to skip briefly ahead to another mechanic it introduces.

Item Development is super important in Victory, because without it we’ll be left without access to the best consumables, equipment, and an endless fountain of Scrooge McDuck-like wealth beyond avarice (more on that later). It’s really simple, we just need to get stuff (generally things we find in dungeons or get off of monsters) and that lets us make stuff as long as we have a plan for the stuff in question. Plans in turn come from dungeons or quests (and rarely the shop). Easy as that. I think I also promised you some quest text so here we go with that.

Now let’s finish up the update with what happens after we turn in that first quest.

Buddies? You mean visit the other nations?
You got it. I bet you’re itchin’ to see Uni, Rom, and Ram!
I’d like to, sure, but if we don’t get any work done, Histoire will be really mad.
Not like we’re gonna skip out on work or whatever. It’ll be like a peacekeeping mission, plus snacks!
…Really?
Oh, snappy snap! That’s the patented Nepgear look-o-doubt! You really don’t trust me?
I-I’m sorry, Neptune! I didn’t mean to use that face!
You’re right, though. If it’s just that, Histoire shouldn’t have a problem.
That’s my girly girl! I knew you’d join my side!
After we say hi and take some of their food, maybe we can borrow some of their games, too…
…Neptune, seriously now…

I think I should be able to clear out the rest of the prologue next time, since I won’t have to go over much in the way of gameplay. I’ll see you then.

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of the Gaming Proletariat

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 7, 2014

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Aw hell yeah, right on the ground floor. This game's oddly addicting as hell to play through, especially after the snooze-worthy slog that is Agarest 2.

I should start learning how to do GIFs, because some of the enemies have hilarious move and idle animations.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

Feinne posted:

Meh, pretend I have a Captain’s Log or something.

Can I say I've missed Neptune and her willingness to talk to the player? :allears:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYbVQu7YAQ

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Noticing you are level 1, and having it explained by your sister as "you were lazing around so you deleveled" is hilarious and exactly what you'd expect of Neptune

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I hope it's not just me, but I can barely distinguish the Nep sisters' icons apart when it's the two of them talking back and forth. It's actually a little weird to see how similar they look when put together like that. I mean it makes sense, but it's still a little weird.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
My hype levels are off the chart of this LP. This is a great game, apart from Iris Heart, so I can't wait to relive the insanity.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kevos Setzer posted:

I hope it's not just me, but I can barely distinguish the Nep sisters' icons apart when it's the two of them talking back and forth. It's actually a little weird to see how similar they look when put together like that. I mean it makes sense, but it's still a little weird.

They have somewhat different hair colors, but otherwise yeah. Is there an image you could grab of one of them facing to the side?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

Yeah, Neptune's hair is just a little bit paler than it was before and it makes it kind of difficult to tell the difference between them in an icon. It's not great, but I don't forsee it being a serious problem for... reasons. I might do some retakes of Nepgear's icon here and see if I can get one that looks substantively different.

I've got the content I need for the next update ready, though it's going to be really long since I'm trying to push through the whole rest of the prologue. Might have it ready Friday, otherwise Saturday.

EDIT: Did a retake of Nepgear's icon and replaced the old one, still not totally ideal but they should be a bit more distinguishable.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 7, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
You don't have to do this Feinne. You can still walk away. You can live a normal life. Feinne. Feinne please. Think of your sanity. Think of the future!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You don't have to do this Feinne. You can still walk away. You can live a normal life. Feinne. Feinne please. Think of your sanity. Think of the future!

He can't walk away. This is his destiny, for better or for worse. Most likely worse.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It feels like only yesterday that we closed the book on Mk2. The wounds CFW Trick left on my mind are still fresh, yet here we are again already. Once more unto the breach, dear friends. :suicide:

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Draga posted:

My hype levels are off the chart of this LP. This is a great game, apart from Iris Heart, so I can't wait to relive the insanity.

What are you talking about? That's the best part of the game.

Feinne posted:

EDIT: Did a retake of Nepgear's icon and replaced the old one, still not totally ideal but they should be a bit more distinguishable.

Thanks, that works better. It's really only noticeable right now because it's just the two of them. We don't want people to think Neptune's talking to herself or anything. Yet.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Look, it's either this or Mugen Souls. Pick your poison.

FractalSandwich posted:

It feels like only yesterday that we closed the book on Mk2. The wounds CFW Trick left on my mind are still fresh, yet here we are again already. Once more unto the breach, dear friends. :suicide:

Oh, don't worry. I don't think there are any bosses nearly as bad as Trick in this game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Woo-hoo! Might have to get around to picking this one back up and playing along. Eventually. Maybe. We'll see. (Probably not.)

One of the little things I love in the opening is that little star the five CPUs make using the V sign. I just find that really adorable for some reason. :3:

RefinedUndefined posted:

He can't walk away. This is his destiny, for better or for worse. Most likely worse.

Feinne is to Hyperdimension Neptunia as The Dark Id is to Drakengard. There is no escape.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's funny because this is a pretty great game but holy poo poo it's also pretty hosed up. I have no idea how it managed to get back to T instead of Mk2's M.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Feinne posted:

It's funny because this is a pretty great game but holy poo poo it's also pretty hosed up. I have no idea how it managed to get back to T instead of Mk2's M.

I'm convinced the ESRB was playing some other game. It's the only explanation for some of the lines they get away with.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

If there's anything I've learned from rating boards/organizations, it's that their standards vary by the time of day. What counts as M one week might be downgraded to T content the next week. They are very (and hilariously) inconsistent.

Also, it probably helps that 5 minutes into Victory, there isn't a CG still of the four CPUs in tentacle bondage like in Mk2. And probably there isn't an ending involving (Mk2 spoilers) Nepgear murdering her own sister along with every other CPU/CPU Candidate. Death of family members committed by a relative and/or serial murders are HUGE red flags for the ESRB.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh god. We're back. Here we go again, eh Feinne?

I actually know very little about this game, beyond the premise and... well, the lady in Feinne's current avatar. Oh yes. I know her well.

A little too well, really. Hell, I know entirely too much about this drat series to begin with.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I am a fan of a number of weird series. I'm an unironic Drakengard fanboy. Dragon Age 2 kicked rear end. I like the FFXIII trilogy. Shadow the Hedgehog is one of my favorite Sonic games. This? This is the franchise that I will never admit in public that I like.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't see Gust's logo in the opening. What happened to them?

And this is a legitimately Good Game? I have to ask because, ya know, IF.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Feinne, please. You don't have to do this to yourself. Just let it go, man.

Also maybe it's just me but the new Nepgear portrait looks even more like Neptune and I can tell them apart even less than I initially could.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I don't see Gust's logo in the opening. What happened to them?

And this is a legitimately Good Game? I have to ask because, ya know, IF.

Gust and NIS proper seem to have not been a part of things this time around.

And in spite of being made by the Idiot Fuckers, this game is quite fun to play and has some earnestly good ideas. For example later we'll be able to pay NPCs to go to dungeons and potentially come back with the poo poo that drops there, even things that are a bastard to farm normally.

Artix posted:

Also maybe it's just me but the new Nepgear portrait looks even more like Neptune and I can tell them apart even less than I initially could.

Nepgear's just got the one D-Clip, and you can see more of her hair. It's not going to be as much of a problem as it seems, though, for reasons which will become clear next update.

sokamish
Sep 4, 2011
Seconding the sentiment about this game being a lot of fun despite the involvement of IF. There are so many good ideas in the game and if nothing else it certainly has... charm. Yeah, that's the word for it. Got a little bit too grindy for my tastes so I think my save is somewhere in chapter 7, maybe? Still a lot of fun and totally worth playing if you are immune or resistant to :argh: japan syndrome imo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In my opinion, there is only one bad thing about this game, and that doesn't show up for a LONG time.

...This probably says too much about my mental state, but oh well.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay I been waiting for this and already loved the explanation on why Neptune is lvl 1. Can't wait to ride this crazy ride again.

Rofaner
May 30, 2011
It begins again. God help us all.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I, too, am finding myself pretty excited to see this.

...I am not sure if this is a case of well-done pandering to game nerds or if this is just Stockholm Syndrome from following the other two LPs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

booksnake posted:

I, too, am finding myself pretty excited to see this.

...I am not sure if this is a case of well-done pandering to game nerds or if this is just Stockholm Syndrome from following the other two LPs.

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kevos Setzer posted:

Look, it's either this or Mugen Souls. Pick your poison.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If only I hadn't bought it digitally.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Gust and NIS proper seem to have not been a part of things this time around.
That one Tenpei Sato song was the only unequivocally good thing about Mk2, so they might have really shot themselves in the foot there. :v:

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

I don't know why, but I could never seem to finish this game even after getting the platinum in the last two games. I seemed to always get bored playing it for some reason - and I really did like playing through mk2.

Interested to see what I missed out on, at least.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Arctic Cress posted:

I don't know why, but I could never seem to finish this game even after getting the platinum in the last two games. I seemed to always get bored playing it for some reason - and I really did like playing through mk2.

Interested to see what I missed out on, at least.

I can sort of see that because a lot of the gameplay is pretty freeform and there's lots of poo poo you can do. The game really sort of rewards you dicking around and wasting time and that's not for everyone.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If only I hadn't bought it digitally.

Are you really saying you would've preferred to go into a store where actual people could see you purchase a physical copy of Mugen Souls?

I cannot imagine anyone doing that without feeling infinitely more shame.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

And in spite of being made by the Idiot Fuckers, this game is quite fun to play and has some earnestly good ideas. For example later we'll be able to pay NPCs to go to dungeons and potentially come back with the poo poo that drops there, even things that are a bastard to farm normally.

Yeah, there's been a lot of streamlining going on in the development cycle for this game. SP is now the game's MP bar, no AP system (which also means the shape of the weapon's attack squares gains more meaning when additional AP costs for the extra squares don't exist), the CP system now acts as the limiter on the moves instead so its actually a good idea to leave some of the slots blank, and even more as we go on. The game got a bit of a difficulty bump up, but if you don't do something crazy like go fight enemies that are way over your level of strength (which I've did - several times. I won the fights anyway because the enemy AI is silly, their defenses were crap, and/or their HP regen is insufficient, in addition to the massive stockpile of items in reserve), it shouldn't be a problem.

That said though, I sometimes have to yell out "gently caress the (unaltered) drop rates" of some items at times. Even with the several ways to mitigate the issue, it's still a little bitter when I can't just steal the loving things.

Feinne posted:

The game really sort of rewards you dicking around and wasting time and that's not for everyone.

Which, really, is in the spirit of what Neptune does after all! :v:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
And here Feinne is again, tastefully and tactfully LPing games that would see lesser men banned. Next up I want to see him get through Criminal Girls or the original Japanese version of Mugen Souls without things getting dangerously creepy.

On-topic (sort of) my only experience with this series is the first game. I thought the jokes all fell flat or were dragged out until they lost any humor, the combat animations were so low budget I wondered why they put them in at all (especially the ridiculous game reference skills you could get which were literally just an image from that game slapped over the generic elemental magic animation), and when a guide told me I'd need to be around level 90 or something to finish the game I just gave up. I had spent about 10 hours just getting to level 20, and the game was already a mindless funless grind.

I've been told repeatedly that the first was definitely the worst and everything gets magically better starting with #2, but I'm still skeptical. Maybe Feinne's LPs will convince me otherwise. If so, maybe I can add the remakes to the list of games I want to get for my Vita TV.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Mk2 and this game basically only share characters and a couple of vague gameplay concepts with the first game (they don't even really have the same setting). Though you also got misled on how high level you needed to be to beat the final boss of original Neptune, you can totally win the Neptune vs CPU fights at around 50 and then Arfoire at like 60 or so which doesn't really require any more grinding than it takes to do all the loving quests to move shares around and oh god am I glad shares don't mean that much in Victory.

You know I'm honestly not sure whether this game or the version of Mugen Souls we got is more inappropriate for anyone anywhere to play (JP Mugen Souls no question, and no I don't have a copy of that). Mugen Souls is more pervasively infused with innuendo but I'm not sure it ever really rises to the level of most of the scenes in this with a certain character present.

And seriously if three Ar Tonelico games and the first two in this series didn't get me banned for LPing weird poo poo I'm sure I'll make it through this one too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Are you really saying you would've preferred to go into a store where actual people could see you purchase a physical copy of Mugen Souls?

I cannot imagine anyone doing that without feeling infinitely more shame.

Ah, but buying it physically, no-one could remember your face.

It would be obscured by pure shame particles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Not only was Feinne not banned for LPing AT Qoga but I don't think anyone was banned in that thread, which honestly surprised me. I expected someone to gently caress up and get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
For some reason I really like the design of Neptune + Nepgear. It's gotta be those D-Clips, why aren't they a real thing. Purple is also the best color, this is an irrefutable fact because Saints' Row exists. And V has all the purples~

So after seeing them for the first time I had to figure out where they came from, which gave me an origin. This was about the time Feinne was doing HN1, so I hopped in and took the ride. I paid attention to Mk2 also. I recently managed to purchase physical copies all three of them, simultaneously, ignoring the case of strange-eye the Gamestop employee was giving me, and...marathoned through them all, in order, right around Christmas. I ended up liking the first one the most. I may have a problem.

That out of the way, I feel like something was lost after the first game in the series. I mean, the games objectively became much more fun, but on the other hand I feel like so much of the world-building was lost. I really liked the idea of floating continents, probably because it reminded me of Skies of Arcadia. Each nation seemed to have its own ways of life and levels of technology & industry. I missed the Goddess Blogs, pointless though they were, they added that much more "little detail" to everything. I liked painstakingly setting up literally every possible button combination with a unique series of attacks and I could even name them (rip ULTRA_HYPERDOOM combo). I miss some of the better tunes (namely, Planeptune's theme, Planeptune Rising, Lastation Rising to name 3). Worse still on this front, of all the ones they decide to bring back they pull out the most overplayed, annoying piece of garbage music that game had and made it passable. Many of the story-relevant quests involved many NPCs outside of the main characters or antagonists...when it feels like the latter two games focus pretty much entirely on the main cast of friends and enemies. I can't pin down exactly what it is that's missing, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore after the 1st game.

Look at all these words about world-building and lore in Hyperdimension Neptunia. I may also be insane, and will be following this thread, watch out!

• Locked thread