Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
What, no Mac version? I suppose restricting their Unix-like porting efforts to just Linux will help them to avoid the sort of gently caress-ups that have been present in the Mac and Linux versions of the original KF since day one.

For instance, the Mac version still mostly fails to maintain perk/achievement progress across matches unless you actually complete the entire achievement in a single round. And, depending on your sound device, it will also try to set it to output 16KHz, after the game has already started mixing at 44100Hz. Oh, and task switching is completely disabled while in full screen mode, and they use the Windows standard Alt+Enter as the full screen switch hotkey instead of the standard Control+Command+F introduced by Lion.

Oh, right, the guy who bugged them about those issues back in 2012? He's long since banned from the Steam forums. I bumped his topic, but never got a reply.

Maybe a fresh game gives new hopes to hold out for, but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Interesting call, using the SAM to bypass the leveling. Sure would work better than my attempts to use the Zed Spawning Zone user map. On both the Windows and Mac ports of the game, the penetrating headshot training alley eventually crashes the game after you've gibbed enough targets.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I stopped playing months ago, mainly because my preferred OS is Mac OS X, and the Mac port still has the same bugs it had when it first launched:

1) Old fashioned fullscreen mode, and it even locks out Cmd-Tab task switching. The only way to get out is either to quit the game, or use the PC shortcut of Alt-Enter (as opposed to the Mac shortcut of Ctrl-Cmd-F) to switch to windowed mode, then switch processes. Which leads up to...
2) Depending on the sound device configured as the system default, it will try to switch it to 16KHz on startup, while still playing 44100Hz audio. It is possible to work around this by switching to windowed mode, opening up Audio MIDI Setup, then resetting the sound device to the correct rate, and switching back to the game.
3) Achievement/Perk progress is not saved between maps. Earn a bunch of points toward some skill, and you will lose them all after the match, unless you somehow earned enough points to reach the full achievement.

I tried to counter #3 "legitimately" by using the Zed Spawning Zone map offline. It worked pretty well for the door welding and healing grenade parts. Then I tried to do the headshot lineup alley. The game would repeatedly crash after about 20-30 full lines of Clots had been instagibbed by the heavy sniper rifle conveniently spawned next to the headshot alley. The same goes for the Windows version running either in a VM or natively. Gradually slow down and then crash.

I'm not sure I want to try the Steam Achievement Manager to apply all the perks I'm missing after all this time, either.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I'd like to be able to see what round a match is on in the server browser before I join.

Yeah, KF1 already has this, so yes, it would be nice to keep it in KF2.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the server browser, last time I used it, listed which wave the server was on, usually listing just 1 for empty servers.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping for Mac and possibly also Linux support. And I'm hoping that this time, it doesn't have permanent since launch bugs, like perk advancement being broken, or the Mac port switching sound devices to 16kHz on startup but playing a 44100Hz signal slowed down over them.

• Locked thread