Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Some backstory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

I misread the bottom as saying "We are Horzine, Bitch." I liked that interpretation much better

Hahahahahaha

I actually made all these. While I was working on them that's what it said for a while, as a little note to myself about Horzine's attitude.

Another one is out so here it is:

turnways fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 18, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Slybo posted:

How about some goon exclusive pre-early-access?

Oh btw. Is KF2 using UE3 or UE4?

Haha, no guarantees on early-early access but I'd love to put on a livestream for folks before early access once that ball gets rolling.

And it's using a heavily modified UE3; we started development before UE4 came out and we have enough tools and talented folks to really make UE3 shine. I'd love to work on UE4 though, seems like its UI-development featureset is pretty robust.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Slybo posted:

@turnways. Will KF2 have a dedicated server that can be run on a non-steam machine?

Unfortunately I can't talk about anything that hasn't been explicitly revealed, even if it seems like simple no-brainer stuff like home-based dedicated servers or dosh-tossing. I wouldn't take that to mean any features are or are not present (or are even going to be radically different), I'm just sticking within the boundaries I was given.

That said, I will mention I am designing the UI, both the overall flow and the final look of the thing. I wish I could show screens because it's looking really awesome, definitely a step up from the original, so hopefully at some point before EA I can post examples. I'm streamlining a lot of KF1's UI without gutting any of the functionality, with a focus on speed and ease of use; I want people jumping into the game as fast and easy as possible, with a HUD that keeps you informed without getting in your way. While I can't talk about any specific features we may have planned (and can't confirm if anything's already been considered/implemented), I'm definitely open to feedback and suggestions, so if you folks have any comments on the original's UI or anything you'd like to see in the sequel, please let me know because I'm all ears.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome, this is some great feedback; I'm taking notes and passing all this along.

Going into the server browser a bit, and again I want to emphasize I am NOT confirming or denying any KF2 features nor am I speaking for Tripwire and what we have planned, just thinking aloud from my own designer sense, but how would you guys feel about a hybrid between the KF1 server browser and something like the CS:GO matchmaking systems? Maybe something leaning more towards KF1 than CS:GO, but definitely a system designed to be easier to use for people who aren't picky enough to scroll through a long list of servers. To me, the advantages of a classic server browser are to cover a wide range of game types and to quickly find a known dedicated server (say, Bill's 24/7 Biotics Lab Extravaganza Insta-Respawn Fleshpounds Only), but its main disadvantage is overwhelming the player with choice when they don't have a server in mind and just want to pick a near-full no-mutators server running Biotics Lab on Medium difficulty.

The system I have in mind would look something like this:

1. You would still have access to a full server list, and can see in each listing the name (with an option to search by name), game type, difficulty (clearly displayed with a unique icon AND TEXT), map, wave (displayed: Current / Total), player count, ping, locked servers, and whether a match was in the lobby or in progress

2. Separate tabs for All, Favorite, Friends, History, etc. to quickly get to the main lists of servers you want

However...

3. You would only see 8-10 servers at a time inside the browser window (and can scroll down to see more), with larger, more readable type

4. The browser window would be prefaced with a number of large-type easy-to-use filters that serve to quickly whittle down the number of servers you have to scroll through, emphasized to the point where you would want to use them to find the exact match you want

5. These would include filtering for a specific map, game type, difficulty, required password, ping ranges, even down to specific mutators (under an Advanced Filters tab)

6. A toggleable option (via the Options menu, default to On) to highlight servers with a HoE-esque difficulty level in red if the player's currently selected perk is under a certain level, or some other kind of warning to shy new players away from harder matches without locking them out

7. All text properly sized to be readable even on TVs from 10ft. away without looking too much like a console game (my PC is hooked up to my TV and it drives me nuts when games have a ton of dead space and small text, even accounting for localizations), with no distracting backgrounds

8. The server list doesn't scroll when you have something selected as it's refreshing

Not exactly the most revolutionary design, but one that lets you find what you're looking for fast and easy no matter what that may be. Would a system like this start to solve some of the problems of the older server browser? The final system we put in might look completely different to this, but I'd still be interested in getting a baseline.

turnways fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 8, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Good comments. Though, I wouldn't be limiting the number of servers shown to simplify choice or put the UI into Playskool mode, it'd be out of necessity from all the filters and other things on the screen. I would shrink the font to fit in as many servers as I can without sacrificing readability; in this example it'd probably be around 12-14pt, so not Big Picture huge or anything but still big enough to easily read and parse at a glance from a good range of viewing distances.

Separate menus would definitely solve it, though I do love the hell out of simple design with easy access to all the tools and options you could want for just under the hood. That said, for me it all boils down to minimizing the number of clicks it takes a player, regardless of what they're looking for, to get into a drat game; the motto here is "less bullshit, more bloodshed."

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

(or is the Slasher the new Gorefast? I don't remember).

The Gorefast is still in as a separate enemy. The Slasher and Cyst are just two different flavors of Clot.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

closeted republican posted:

The only thing I'm concerned about is possibly having to unlock weapon tiers as you play instead of having everything available to you from the start. Doing stuff like getting a SCAR-H or M32 in Wave 3 was sweet as hell in KF1, and taking that away is kinda silly.

Don't worry, that "Tier Unlocked" message was just a programmer placeholder for the level up / "You've Unlocked New Skills" message and has nothing to do with the weapon buying system.

I'm glad we finally got some more info out, and while all the preview vids have been in-engine it'll be great once we release some actual play footage. Let me know if there's anything else in the articles that seems a little unclear and I'll clarify as best I can.

Edit: Oh yeah I can mention this now:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3307264/killing-floor-getting-live-action-short-film/

turnways fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 8, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Cerepol posted:

Will respecing be easy and free? As nice as it is to have no 'bad' choices there's likely a difference from what I'd want to use on easy/hard or pub/friends etc.

(Note: personal opinion)
I can't reveal too many details about the skill system aside from what's already been reported, but I can say that while a fair number of us played Payday 2, we feel that level of commitment to a character's build does not fit the faster, more "instanced" pace of Killing Floor. The game has a heavy focus on responsiveness and experimentation, so infer from that what you will.

Inside Out Mom posted:

For fucks sake tripwire, you're going to make me get a new computer aren't you?

Seeing the all the flying, physics-driven viscera and gore as you slice a clot in two (and three, and four, and five, and jesus christ man it's dead already) will absolutely be worth it. Every single death is unique, and they're all intensely satisfying.

turnways fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 10, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Geight posted:

Everything is really cool but replacing the trader lady with a vending machine is pretty much a dealbreaker. Lots of lovely big guns, just waiting for you. :wink:

Bu...but it's a really cool vending machine :negative:

Questioner86 posted:

So much Payday 2. We even have our own David Goldfarb in the office. Just not THAT David Goldfarb.

Haha yeah, it was funny seeing a David Goldfarb pop up in the global e-mail right when the game came out, since our Goldfarb was hired around the same time. Though I do wonder about the tickets requesting the KF1 Fleshpound be given riot shields...

turnways fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 9, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Cacodad posted:

Dear turnways,

Will we get Early Access this year?

Love, Cacodad

Dear Cacodad,

Why ruin the suspense? Isn't waiting the best part? I bet you peak at all your birthday presents, too.

Unfortunately, I can't even answer you because of reasons, not the least of which being as an artist I remain blissfully unaware of any and all deadlines, so I don't even know the answer.

But, the good news is I saw a video from Destructoid with some more trader info, so I can tell you guys this: the new trader vending machine is actually a remote 3d weapon printer, and there are plans to attach a face/voice to it, so it's really more of a model change than a complete removal of the personality. The actual trader herself may/may not be the same personality, but there's still gonna be a person.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

echronorian posted:

Is there any word of this coming to PS4? I'd also like to confirm that money is still dosh, don't think I'll bother if they've made everything more serious.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Ahdinko posted:

Turnkeys, please have someone hire the fat man from the envirofone adverts to say all of the possible british colloquialisms for money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJW0LKXeOE

WONGA

Forwarded the hell out of this.

Aliginge posted:

Woah what? The whole thing with localised characters or just like, a few maps or something?

It's set in general Europe, so there's no particular French bent to the game. Only French map revealed is Paris; Biotics Lab is set elsewhere in Europe.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hey turnways so how filthy rich did KF1 make John G? The PC Gamer debut article claimed lots of the game's arsenal was modelled after his personal collection and a SCAR-H goes for $3k... http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=722658

I am legally required to state that that is a pile of fake money and we are not in the business of producing legal tender, only tender corpses.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Revolver Bunker posted:

Will you be at PAX Prime this weekend for the panel?

Nah, they never let me go to those things. Probably for the best, I'd just start rattling off trader menu usage statistics and the importance of properly-gridded layouts, regardless of whatever I was asked.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Chard posted:

I like to imagine you cornering scared con-goers and slowly escalating to a frothing scream as you explain these matters.

It's tough getting exact UI data, so who could fault me for relying on what I've been advised to call an "enthusiastic engagement of the fanbase"?

Speaking of which, if any of you are around for DragonCon there will be some rather gruff folks from around the office providing exactly that, dressed up as KF characters and carting around a ton of dosh you can nab if you take their picture:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=815924871762888

(I am nearly-positive there will be some folks at PAX passing out dosh as well, but I don't know the specifics).

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Who asked for some gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx_J4F9xe8g

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

The UI at least works very, very well with both a controller and a M+KB, and if you didn't know the game was also on a console you wouldn't be able to tell the menus were designed for both. The programmers have worked their assess off to make everything very intuitive, and on my end I've been going crazy with metrics to make sure nothing "console" got in your way on PC, and vice versa.

turnways fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 6, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

No offense, but my expectations for the game just lowered by a fair amount. Unless of course, you're developing for PC primarily and porting to PS4.

None taken; as a primary PC player I too get a little nervous with console ports. That said, you've made a fair assessment. Nothing's being cut to favor a PS4 version; we wanted a controller scheme for the PC version anyway, this is just another set of hardware to release on.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

closeted republican posted:

TWI employee confirmed on the official forums that a new dev diary is coming out next week:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1357107&postcount=15

I'm really excited/nervous for this one.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Is it a UI thing?

Yep, just a sneak peek.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. Since these are making the rounds I'll go ahead and post them, should give you some more info on Commando and Sharpshooter:

I think it's funny some of my changes snuck in between captures.

Bogart posted:

Hey turnways, please include the old two voices as day one DLC. Also record yourself as a voice pack.

You don't want to hear my voice. It's sexy but decidedly American.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Geight posted:

They might be making it less easy to spot Stalkers without the commando vision in the new one, to be fair. I haven't seen enough gameplay to really tell yet.

There's actually a Stalker in every single screenshot :ssh:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

alphabrawl posted:

I just want to know what the dragon head perk is!

It's literally a dragon.

It's a mix between Berserker (claw and bite attack) and KF1 Firebug (fire breathing attack) that can't buy weapons, can only buy oil to refill its breath attack, and has a life meter tied directly to its dosh amount.

When selected your model changes to a huge winged lizard, with a character-specific look (mohawk for the punk lady, for instance). You can't go through doors, but you can fly.

Its skills revolve around changing what element the breath attack is (fire, frost, acid), heat vision instead of nightvision, the ability to give other players rides, and a AoE consume or stomp attack during ZED time.

We've found gameplay shifts in indoor maps to "pull all Zeds to the Dragon" which we feel makes for some rather dynamic gameplay. With six Dragons things got a little competitive when they were all stuck in the opening room, so we've allowed PvP between Dragons.

Oh yeah and we got the rights to play the theme to Neverending Story whenever someone's riding you.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

The PC Gamer guys thought my menus looked slick :3:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Fine, fine, you want a release date?

I cave. April 21st. There you go.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Ahdinko posted:

Cant tell if this is real or not
:shepspends:

(Did you get the WONGA bloke in the end?)

Nah, some articles came out though.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Bogart posted:

Can't wait to set a keybind specifically to throw one dollar at a time so I can just spray dosh everywhere.

e: turnways include this in default settings

I am not sure if the Đ1 bind will work (I've never tested it), but I believe the physics engine for the dosh supports quite a bit of dosh bundles interacting with each other and the map. You could easily do dosh trickshots, since each bundle has full weight and physics. During one test while running down a hallway I had a guy in front of me bounce dosh off a corner wall to me so he could keep running.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Also going back through the last few pages I missed, thank you for the positive comments on the UI; it's my first one and I'm glad it seems to be going over well. Really looking forward to getting this thing in more hands. But this ain't no hugbox so if you have any comments/concerns/bug reports/balance rants about the UI, the game, or anything KF2 related lemme know and I'll bring them up in discussion. Well, more specifically I'll bug the poo poo out of Questioner86 and he'll do all the legwork on that, but I will happily take credit.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome, some good comments. Might have to do some paperwork today.

CitrusFrog posted:

I haven't praised the UI yet but that's only because I haven't posted much in the thread. It looks slick and sexy and utilitarian as gently caress and I'm pleased with the way it's turned out.

Well thank you, I'm glad you're liking it.

SinineSiil posted:

I think I have one comment

Stuff here that doesn't use ammo shouldn't have that 0/0 with box around it at all imo. Especially since stuff that doesn't weigh anything doesn't have weight indicator thingie.

Edit: picure is silly mockup

That's a really good point, and a spot-on mockup. I can't say for certain if that's something that'll change (I drive the programmers nuts with how off the mark I am with how easy I think it is to implement stuff sometimes), but I definitely agree with you. Also it shouldn't have Mag/Fill either, as both are redundant. I'll ask around today.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Few nitpicky things:

I don't like the new system for voice commands. Makes it harder to spam while running/doing other things. The new one seems mouse operated, which means I cannot mash V --> 5 --> 1 to insult people or whatever. Also, there's only an option to insult Specimens, not Players.

It's actually super easy to spam, since the menu doesn't go away as long as you're holding Z (or whatever you bind it to). So if you're holding W and then press and hold Z, and then navigate to the lower left and start spam-clicking, every second you'll tell the Zeds they're a bunch of wankers; you don't have to bring the menu up each time. You also don't have to do the finger dance to repeat a voice command, you can just keep clicking so there's less finger travel. The system is also super modular, so (from a UI standpoint) it would be easy to just add on more commands, but I can't say if we're gonna take advantage of that just yet.

quote:

The new trader is extremely generic looking and sounding. I noticed one segment of the PC Gamer video wherein everyone was nearby an inoperative trader post when the round ended. In KF1, it's way more distinct which trader is the "correct" location because the doors open and close and you have a new room to go inside of. In KF2, there's many trader posts around the map and figuring out which is the correct one can be a bit disorienting or confusing.

Good observation, I'll make a note of this and ping Questioner86 to see how this is bearing out in tests.

quote:

How does the parry system work? Can you parry poo poo like Siren screams, or is Berserker still weak as hell to Sirens? And the bloat effect that blocks your screen when you barf blocks your screen a bit too much for my taste.

If you press the Bash button at the exact right moment you're being attacked, you'll stumble the Zed attacking you and can get in a few hits yourself.

I can't say for certain if you can parry Siren screams, as I've honestly never been crazy enough to try it. I don't think you can. My personal opinion is that during play the Bloat is a bit more dangerous when he throws up on you compared to KF1, so I try to avoid him as much as possible. I'll note that down, though please do get back to me once you've played to let me know if it's still annoying in action.

quote:

Will objective maps be making a return?

I can't comment on this, unfortunately.

quote:

The UI is good but IMHO it seems to have taken too much of a future-y departure from the military style of KF1. But please ignore me, I am a diehard KF1 fan with well over 150+ hours, so anything too different will upset me.

I've seen this sentiment elsewhere, and it's definitely understandable. I'd poo poo out my artist's statement on the whole thing, how all the colors are the exact feng shui to set off motivated anger or some other BS, but to be honest it's clean because it's just easier to use. If it helps, try to think of the whole thing as Horzine's version of Google Glass, only it works and is slightly less douchey?

quote:

I hope some of the KF1 maps will return though, because that will own.

I expect there will be a homemade 1:1 remake of most KF1 maps within a month, including 420-ganja-farm-reweeded.

Junkie Disease posted:

So outside of gore and looks, and a few weps the monsters all look like the same and the mechanics look similar why is this KF2 and not KF HD(Der)? I want to want this but all I saw in the hands on was 1 new boss they couldn't show. I'm drat sick of crawlers and the involadies.

It's a refreshed base with a lot of things that will make future content way easier. Once we lock down and balance the core base (one of the reasons we're going early access) we'll be free to do lots of stuff. Also, modding will be, I believe, a fair bit easier. I'm hoping to start work on my DBZ mod soon, so I hope you like Saibamen and Kamehameha spam.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Questioner86 posted:

Changing stuff in the UI RIGHT NOW is going to give me a god drat heart attack.

But they're such minor changes, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?!

Seriously though, I want to take a moment to give a nice public show of appreciation to Questioner86 here. Since he came on board, him and his crack team of QA specialists have hit it out of the park with taking care of bugs and providing solid, actionable feedback. If you wanna know why KF2 is gonna release as bug-free as it is, he's a big part of the reason.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

I'm silly and painted ammo filling buttons out as well.

I think it improves ease of use since you can see what weapons actually need ammo at glance. Saves a second.

I agree with both of these; I can see valid points being made for both keeping and dumping the mag/fill buttons on non-ammo-using weapons. Of course, any changes for this, if there are any (there might not be an easy solution to swapping layouts, for instance), would undergo extensive testing and feedback to make sure it's simple but not confusing and doesn't break anything. I've saved both these mockups and at some point I'll see what the best option is, so thank you for taking the time to mock up your idea.

Edit:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm most excited for the new server browser :3

It is new, right?!

Yep, brand new. Surprised there aren't any screengrabs of it yet, and I'll refrain from mentioning anything until I know 1000% percent it's out in the wild, but it's definitely super functional.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

Game itself really feels like first KF. I only need ADS that work by holding right mouse button down instead of toggling.

You can rebind to exactly that in the keybinding option; that's my preferred method as well.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

An acquaintance of mine just got beta codes from a UI dev while playing KF1.

So play KF1 I guess, you might get lucky. :v:

LMAO, I am incredibly surprised that random act made it back here. Small world.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Also, dollars, really? Not Dosh?

11 hours. It took 11 hours with the game out in the general public for someone to notice my terrible, terrible mistake :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

That was you?

He didn't give me one. :smith:

Yes, I had earmarked a few for him a while back as thanks; he didn't know it at the time but I was watching his KF1 stream and taking a bunch of UI notes, since it was one of the few on Twitch.

Edit: before I get surrounded by you enthusiastic clots, I'll check for fresh keys as well once I get in. Questioner86 will probably beat me to it, but one of us will announce some way to claim them if/when they're available.

turnways fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 9, 2015

• Locked thread