Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hey GWS Beer Thread regulars - ready to put your skills of memorizing hundreds of names, ratings and your walez wheeling and dealing abilities to good use? Let's play some Fantasy Football.

League is set!

Cervixalot - Confirmed
Retamnav - Confirmed
Swickles - Confirmed
Catfish Noodlin - Confirmed
Quantrill - Confirmed
Avenged - Confirmed
dphi - Confirmed
Zam - Confirmed
Broom - Confirmed
umop apisdn - Confirmed
Mikey Purp - Confirmed
Trouzorz - Confirmed

Unless there are any objections, I'm thinking we shoot for a 12 team league. If we have some interest beyond that, and anyone can make a compelling argument for a 14 team league, let's discuss.

Far too early for a draft at this point, but let's spend the next few months talking rules, prize details and whatever else needs to be hashed out before we get going. A beer prize component definitely needs to be involved.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I feel that putting up WALEZ would be difficult, but a regional two or six bottle buy-in is a good idea, just because the value of walez is hard to judge. Maybe a $20 worth of beer buy-in?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Which site are you thinking of using? I'd suggest something other than Yahoo...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I've used ESPN the past three years and found it to be pretty solid. Any objections with going that route?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
My work league has always done Yahoo without issues, but I don't have a problem with ESPN either (other than trying to remember my login there). It'll actually be nice to be in a relatively normal league this year, the work league runs some crazy rules regarding passing yards and kickers.

How are we gonna do the buy-in? Everyone agrees to ship a set $ amount of bottles to the winner?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
The Android app for Yahoo sucks. There are other issues with their site I won't go into but bottom line is I'm cool with ESPN.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Totally bringing my grandma to the draft so she can mule me some extra picks.

I'm personally partial to ESPN, mostly because it's what all of my other leagues use.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I propose that in order to participate in this league, you have to have successfully participated in a BIF, made a trade with a goon, or at the very least have the personal recommendation of an established beer goon to avoid any bullshit and non-payment. It sucks, but there have been a couple of goons who are basically beer thieves for no good reason.

Also, I don't care if we do ESPN or Yahoo either. The way I have seen it is that the bottom worst teams send the top teams varying amounts of beer. So like last place sends first place 50 bucks, 11th sends 2nd 40, etc. Or we can do standard buy in and maybe have playoffs of some kind determine final matchups and who ships to who.

Also, I know that Catfish Noodlin and I are both in South Florida, so this league may have to compensate somehow for geographic differences so you don't have a guy shipping beer to his next door neighbor.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Definitely count me in!

ESPN is probably the way to go, the new App is by far the best of the ones I've used (CBS, NFL, Yahoo).

As far as buy-in, we should probably do a $$ or ounce requirement, with X number of players sending boxes to the winner and X to the runner-up or something similar. I also agree with swickles that you'd have to be careful about the geographic locations of your members for the sake of maximum fun.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
There should also be a minimum abv/oz requirement to be consumed during the draft.

Are we doing IDP or D/ST? I've only done the latter.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

dphi posted:

There should also be a minimum abv/oz requirement to be consumed during the draft.

Are we doing IDP or D/ST? I've only done the latter.

I think just D/ST is best. Also, maybe make it so that the #1 team gets to pick first from the pool of losers who sends him beer. So the the bottom six send beer to the top 6, with the top six picking their senders in the order they finished. Or maybe just the top 3 or something.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
D/ST.

I'm fine with just the top 2 or 3 getting beer. Bottom 6 sending to top 6 sort of devalues the prospect of winning unless you really make the last place person spend a lot of $, and I don't think you should have to spend more the worse you do. With top 3, you could have 5 send to the winner, 3 to 2nd place, 1 to 3rd place. Or top 2 and have 7 send to the winner and 3 send to the runner up. I lean towards just having the top 2 get anything...because winning isn't everything; it's the only thing.

Maybe everyone can state what the maximum $ amount they'd be comfortable with having to send is, and we can see the range we have to work with? I'm good with anything up to $100 or so.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Here's my suggestion for general league rules/options. If we can't come to a good consensus, we can put any controversial options up to a vote. Let me know what you think!

League Structure: 12 Team League on ESPN

Team Structure: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX(RB/WR), D/ST, Kicker

PPR: .5

QB Scoring: 1 pt for 25 QB yards, 4 pts pass TD, 6 rushing TD, -2 int or fumble

D/ST Scoring: 10 pts or no points and reduced to zero after so many points allowed, 2 pts int or fumble, 6pts TD, 1 pt per sack

Draft Format: Snake

Draft Date: 1-2 Weeks Before Regular Season

Waiver Wire: Unlimited waiver wire moves, resets Tuesdays at 3 AM (or whatever the standard time is)

Trading: Trades permitted, with League Manager approval required as a fail-safe. Trade deadline two weeks prior to beginning of Fantasy playoffs.

Buy-In: Must Toxx to participate. Must have participated in a BIF or Goon Beer Trade. Each entrant contributes a small box of regional/local beers, we'll coordinate to ensure that there's isn't too much regional overlap. $50 minimum a la BIF.

Payout Structure:
Winner: 6 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place: 3 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place: 1 Box of Beer
Highest Regular Season Point Total: 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket: 1 Box of Beer

Any details or rules that I'm missing? I figure PPR, Trading and Buy-In may be where we want to have a discussion.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That looks totally fine to me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think adding .5 for TFL is good too. It makes defenses a tad more valuable, but not crazily so.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Can drop me from the league if room is needed, as I have not (as of yet) participated in a BIF or goon trade.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Tentative rules look good to me.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Tentative rules look good to me as well.

Trouzorz
Feb 24, 2009
Didn't realize this got posted already. I'm down if there's another open spot.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Trouzorz posted:

Didn't realize this got posted already. I'm down if there's another open spot.

Yep, welcome aboard!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just wanted to bump this as a reminder that this is on the horizon. I updated the OP to include everyone who has committed to joining the league - just need to confirm if everyone on the list is a) still interested in this league b) has traded before on SA or done a BIF c) has someone who meets b criteria who can vouch for you. I don't want to discriminate against non-trading goons, but we've had issues with bad traders and dickheads in BIFs before, so it's more a precaution than anything.

If your name is in the OP, please reply to this post and just state something along the lines of:

-I participated in BIF 1 and 3
-I've traded with Cervixalot (or whomever) before
-Goon X is my RL best friend, he/she participated in BIF 2 and vouches for me

After we get this all locked down, we can pick a draft date, toxx, and finalize the rules and count down the days!

Cheers, y'all.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Yea, I'm still in, and I participated in BIF 2 & 3! Can't wait for the draught.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have BIF'd and traded with multiple goons.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Still in, did BIF 1 and 3, traded with zam, broom and others.

Trouzorz
Feb 24, 2009
Still in. Did BIF 1,2,3.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Still in as well, participated in BIFs 1 and 3.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Still in - Traded with multiple Goons, Bruery trustee for a few, and participated in every BiF.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I have not participated in any goon trades or BIFs. I also have no friends

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Avenged posted:

I have not participated in any goon trades or BIFs. I also have no friends

Send me some beer and I will vouch for you.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

swickles posted:

Send me some beer and I will vouch for you.

Will you be my friend too? Email me at jasonbohm3@gmail.com and I'll send you something decent from the Midwest

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Hi All,

It's getting close to that time where we'll need to get our draft scheduled... Looks like we're still waiting on confirmation from a few, so if you haven't already, please post ASAP in the thread to confirm that you've traded/BIF'd with goons before or have someone to vouch for you, and that you'll be playing this year. I'll send some PMs to follow up with those who haven't posted yet.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Avenged - you can't get PMs, so I'll ask here. Did you ever get a trade done with anyone in the thread/league? If not, give me a shout.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Sorry did not realize this thread was back, I have been in all the BIFs and traded with dphi and bagofsunchips.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

Cervixalot posted:

Avenged - you can't get PMs, so I'll ask here. Did you ever get a trade done with anyone in the thread/league? If not, give me a shout.

Nope. Tried to arrange one with a goon and no success.

My email is jasonbohm3@gmail.com

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Avenged posted:

Nope. Tried to arrange one with a goon and no success.

My email is jasonbohm3@gmail.com

Email sent.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Alright, we're just about confirmed 100% on league members, so I'll get the league going in ESPN and have invites out hopefully by later tonight. PM me the email you'd like the invite to go out to, or let me know if you don't have PMs (Avenged, I got you all set with your gmail).

Any thoughts on when we'd want to hold a draft and/or how we'll pick the draft order?

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Boring random number generator for draft order? Snake the order to keep it fair?

I'm available for draft most nights, usually Tuesday/Thursday.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thursday or Friday generally work for me as far as drafting goes. Any other days it would have to be after 8pm PST which is likely too late for east coast people.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Weeknights after around 6:30 PM EST work for me. Could also probably swing a Sunday afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Retemnav posted:

Weeknights after around 6:30 PM EST work for me. Could also probably swing a Sunday afternoon.

This is my situation, pretty much. I am also totally ok with later drafts i.e. 10pm EST. The only snag is that I will be traveling from August 30th through September 3rd.

• Locked thread