Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Forsaken Lore posted:

Over one billion years ago, the elder things descended from space and built enormous cities. Hundreds of millions of years after that, the Great Race of Yith projected their minds into strange, conical beings and used their advanced technology to catalog knowledge throughout time. The serpent people were once the undisputed rulers of the world, even using their mastery of science and sorcery to subjugate early humans.

Whether through elements, predators, or their own over-reaching ambition, each of these mighty civilizations fell to ruin. The knowledge of these species has been kept from humanity, and yet, within these lost stories lies the only hope for the survival of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClwIj3x24Q4

Rulebook
Reference Guide
Errata/FAQ

What?

Eldritch Horror is Fantasy Flight Games' attempt to cut away the bloated carcass of Arkham Horror and return to the base game's roots, fixing as many problems as they can along the way. Forsaken Lore fixes one of the game's biggest problems - the lack of encounters, and the repetition that the players experience going through the game. It has cards. Lots of cards. New encounters, new conditions and items, new artifacts. And we're going to take on the new Ancient One Yig, perennial punching bag of Arkham Horror, to see whether he's got any fangs now.

In the game, investigators race around the world, trying to manage multiple threats that range from detrimental rumours to stacks of monsters appearing from otherworldly gates. While doing so, the investigators have to also solve Mysteries specific to the Ancient One they're facing, generally involving researching Clues and then using those Clues during certain events. Leave too many gates open and the investigators risk having the Ancient One's Doom approach. Take too long, and the inevitable's going to happen anyway.

Key Differences From Arkham
  • The Mythos deck is now limited. For Azathoth, players have 16 turns to win the game.
  • Fighting monsters or acquiring items no longer necessarily take away from your ability to have an encounter. Buying items is part of the movement/action phase, and fighting monsters is part of the encounter phase. If you kill all the monsters at your location, you get an encounter anyway.
  • Monsters no longer block movement. Gates no longer take you off the board for two turns.
  • Clues are not automatically picked up, nor do Gates automatically gently caress you over. Instead, together with the Expedition token, they unlock extra options at your location during the encounter phase.
  • Gate closing does not require any one stat. This can make Gate encounters a little random, but...
  • ... generally speaking, tests are less harsh. It's very rare to see a Stat-2 roll.
  • Clues do still allow rerolls, but usually also factor into solving the Mysteries, which are the most important feature.
  • Monsters no longer just live or die, they have HP. Successes on attacks reduce the damage they deal to you and also hurt them.
  • It is possible to recover a dead investigator's belongs and reverse the damage they did to the doom track.
  • Conditions are now a two-step process. You get the condition, along with a means of potentially removing it. At some future point, the condition will be triggered and you flip the card to face a random penalty.
  • Similarly, spells have their action occur and then penalise you based on how many successes you did or didn't get.
House Rules
  • Editing posts is a-okay.
  • When posting actions, please include what encounter you intend to do at your destination. It makes things a bit faster for me.
  • Everyone will take their turns concurrently. There is a Lead Investigator who nominally goes first, but I'll only pay attention to that if it's particularly important and let you switch it at the start of each turn if agreed upon.
  • Rerolls will be used automatically if they're permanent, if it would mean the difference between a pass and a fail if they're once per turn, and never if they're a disposable or a Clue. Tell me after the fact and I'll redo the check.
  • If you wish for rerolls to be used in other fashions than the above, tell me ahead of time.
  • I have not gone through the expansion cards extensively yet, but no major new mechanics have been added.
Recruiting

I'd like six players. PMs are not required but a way to poke you via Skype or email would be nice in case of slowdown. When signing up, please list your first two choices for character from the list below. I'd like people who can check the thread at least daily.

Signups will close anywhere up to 24 hours from now, whereupon players will be decided by random draw, and get their first choice of character unless it has already been taken.

Resources

Rulebook
Reference Guide
Errata/FAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

REFERENCE

Ancient One:

Yig posted:

• Starting Doom: 10
  • On a Reckoning, spawn a Cultist on the current Expedition space. Then, if there are 2 or more monsters on that space, advance Doom.
  • When 3 Mysteries have been solved, investigators win the game.
  • If Doom reaches 0, Yig awakens.
  • Cultists have the following stats: Cultist - 1/1 HP. Sanity: Will vs. 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs. 2. If you lose Health from the Combat test, gain a Poisoned condition.
  • Mythos Deck:
    • Stage 1 - 1 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 2 - 2 Green, 3 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 3 - 2 Green, 4 Yellow.

Stats:
  • Lore is usually used when closing Gates and casting Spells.
  • Influence is usually used when buying items and when doing City encounters.
  • Observation is usually used when doing Expeditions and Clue encounters.
  • Strength is usually used when doing Expeditions and fighting enemies.
  • Will is usually used when closing Gates and fighting enemies.
Actions:
During the action phase, investigators may do two actions, but not repeat an action.
  • Move, spending tickets after their movement if applicable.
  • Rest to recover 1 Health and 1 Sanity, if there is no monster present.
  • Trade items/clues/spells/tickets with another investigator.
  • Draw a ship or train ticket, limit 2 total, if you are on a City.
  • Acquire assets, if there is no monster present and you are on a City.
  • Any other action they have.
Characters:

Leo Anderson - The Expedition Leader posted:

"Keep moving. You can die on your own time."
  • Health 6, Sanity 6.
  • Lore 2, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 3.
  • Action: Test Influence. If you pass, gain 1 Ally of your choice from the reserve or the discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, you and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in tests.
  • Starts in: Buenos Aires.
  • Starts with: Hired Muscle (+1 Toughness, once per round reroll any Toughness die).

Lily Chen - The Martial Artist posted:

"I have been preparing to confront this evil for my entire life. My focus must be absolute."
  • Health 6, Sanity 6.
  • Lore 2, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 4, Will 3.
  • Action: Spend any number of Health or Sanity, then recover an equal amount of Health or Sanity.
  • When you improve a skill, you may immediately improve that skill again.
  • Starts in: Shanghai
  • Starts with: Protective Amulet (+1 Will during Combat Encounters), Lucky Rabbit's Foot (Once per round reroll any die).

Jim Culver - The Musician posted:

"No, not quiet at all. Dead folks get downright rambunctious when I play my horn."
  • Stamina 7, Sanity 5.
  • Lore 3, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 3.
  • Action: You and each investigator on your space recovers one Sanity.
  • You and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in all tests during Combat Encounters.
  • Starts in: South USA
  • Starts with: Shriveling Spell (Action: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a Monster on your space to lose 2 Health), 1 Clue.

Jacqueline Fine - The Psychic posted:

"The visions are a warning. The future can be rewritten."
  • Stamina 4, Sanity 8.
  • Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 1, Will 3.
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any investigator on the board.
  • Once per round, when another investigator gains a non-Common Condition, you may look at the back of the card and gain 1 Clue.
  • Starts in: Middle USA
  • Starts with: Flesh Ward Spell (Once per round, when any investigator would lose Health, test Lore. If you pass, prevent that investigator from losing up to 2 Health), 1 Clue.

Mark Harrigan - The Soldier posted:

"I'm walking out that door, and I'm taking this book. Anyone who wants to stop me is welcome to try."
  • Stamina 8, Sanity 4.
  • Lore 1, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 4, Will 4.
  • Action: You and 1 Monster on your space both lose 1 Health.
  • You cannot become Delayed or gain a Detained Condition unless you choose to.
  • Starts in: Nothern Europe
  • Starts with: .38 Revolver (+2 Strength during Combat Encounters), Kerosene (Discard to gain +5 Strength during a Combat Encounter).

Lola Hayes - The Actress posted:

"I've played so many roles. Madness is to be expected."
  • Stamina 5, Sanity 7.
  • Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 3.
  • Action: Spend any number of improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent.
  • Once per round, you or an investigator on your space may roll 1 additional die when resolving a test.
  • Starts in: Tokyo
  • Starts with: .18 Derringer (Once per round, add 1 to the roll on a die during a Strength test in a Combat Encounter), improve 1 skill of your choice.

Charlie Kane - The Politician posted:

"It can be arranged. It's just a matter of acceptable terms."
  • Stamina 4, Sanity 8.
  • Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2.
  • Action: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
  • When you perform an Acquire Assets action, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.
  • Starts in: San Francisco
  • Starts with: Personal Assistant (+1 Influence, once per round reroll any Influence die).

Silas Marsh - The Sailor posted:

"Leave your fears on the docks, lads. I'll not carry that cargo. The wind is up! Full sail!"
  • Stamina 8, Sanity 4.
  • Lore 1, Influence 3, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 3.
  • Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.
  • If you are on a Sea space, you and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in tests.
  • Starts in: Sydney
  • Starts with: Fishing Net (Once per turn, reroll a Strength die during a Combat Encounter. Reduce the damage of Monsters you encounter by 1, down to a minimum of 1.)

Akachi Onyele - The Shaman posted:

"I will journey to the lands beyond. I do not fear them."
  • Stamina 5, Sanity 7.
  • Lore 3, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 4.
  • Action: Look at the top 2 Gates in the Gate stack. Put one on the top, and the other on the bottom.
  • When you close a Gate during an Other World encounter, you may move to any space containing a Clue or a Gate.
  • Starts in: South Africa
  • Starts with: Mists of Releh Spell (During the Encounter phase, test Lore. If you pass, you may choose an encounter as if there are no Monsters on your space), 1 Clue.

Trish Scarborough - The Spy posted:

"We lie all the time. But the truth is in there. You just have to know how to decode people."
  • Stamina 7, Sanity 5.
  • Lore 1, Influence 3, Observation 4, Strength 3, Will 2.
  • Action: If you do not have any Clues, gain 1 Clue.
  • If you or an investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll up to 2 dice instead.
  • Starts in: Central Russia
  • Starts with: .45 Automatic (+3 Strength during Combat Encounters).

Diana Stanley - The Redeemed Cultist posted:

"The Lodge is not as innocent as they pretend. I have learned that nothing is ever as it seems, myself included."
  • Stamina 7, Sanity 5.
  • Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1.
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space, discard all Monsters on your space or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Starts in: Central America
  • Starts with: Arcane Manuscripts (+1 Lore when resolving Spells), Wither Spell (During a Combat Encounter, test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that encounter).

Norman Withers - The Astronomer posted:

"Let them call me a crackpot! Something is happening to the stars, and I am not imagining it!"
  • Stamina 5, Sanity 7.
  • Lore 3, Influence 1, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 4.
  • Action: Spend 2 Clues to discard 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.
  • Once per round, you may spend 1 Sanity in place of spending 1 Clue.
  • Starts in: Arkham
  • Starts with: Feed the Mind Spell (Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose yourself or an investigator on your space to improve 1 skill of their choice).
Conditions:
  • Amnesia - Madness - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Will. If you fail, flip this card.
  • Back Injury - Injury - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Strength. If you fail, flip this card.
  • Blessed - Boon - 4, 5, and 6's count as successes. If you become Blessed again, flip this card instead. If you become Cursed, discard this card instead. On a Reckoning, roll a die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card.
  • Cursed - Bane - Only 6's count as successes. If you become Blessed, discard this card instead. If you become Cursed again, flip this card instead. On a Reckoning, roll a die. On a 4, 5 or 6, discard this card.
  • Dark Pact - Deal - On a Reckoning, roll a die. On a 1, flip this card.
  • Debt - Deal (Common) - Local Action: Test Influence. If you pass, discard this card. On a Reckoning, flip this card.
  • Detained - Restriction - You cannot move or perform actions other than the one on this card. Instead of an encounter, flip this card. Local Action: Test Influence. If you pass, discard this card.
  • Hallucinations - Madness - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Will. If you fail, flip this card.
  • Internal Injury - Injury - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Strength. If you fail, flip this card.
  • Leg Injury - Injury - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Strength. If you fail, flip this card.
  • Paranoia - Madness - When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card. On a Reckoning, test Will. If you fail, flip this card.
Locations:
These are rough guides as to what can happen at each unique location, but far from a certainty.
  • San Francisco: Improve Observation.
  • Arkham: Gain an Incantation Spell
  • Buenos Aries: Gain a Ritual Spell
  • London: Spawn Clue Tokens
  • Rome: Improve Will
  • Instanbul: Improve Influence
  • Shanghai: Improve Lore
  • Tokyo: Defeat or Discard Monsters
  • Sydney: Improve Strength
  • Land/Sea/Wilderness Generic: ???
  • Clue Tokens: Gain that clue and possibly a second.
  • Gate Tokens: Close that Gate. Often, gain a Clue.
  • Expedition Tokens: Usually quite strong i.e. gain an Artifact, reduce Doom track, etc.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 15, 2014

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Count me in please.

Charlie "Citizen" Kane
Diana Stanley"

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'd like to play!

Leo Anderson
OR
Lily Chen

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm not familiar with this game, but I have played a lot of Arkham Horror. If that's alright, I'd like to be in as:

Jim Culver

or

Norman Withers

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Yay, maybe I can survive this one...

Diana Stanley
OR
Jim Culver

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'd like to play!

Charlie Kane
or
Silas Marsh

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I'll give it a try.

Charlie Kane or Norman Withers

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I'd like to play. Played quite a bit in paper.

Diana Stanley

or

Jacqueline Fine

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Trish Scarborough
or
Norman Withers

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I would love to try this out.

Random character is fine if I make it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This time we're winning this.

Lily Chen or Akachi Onyele

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 14, 2014

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Charlie Kane

or

Jim Culver

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

This time we're winning this.

My local group just got owned in the face by Zig, I'm just saying.

I'll roll for players at about lunchtime tomorrow.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
I'm just hoping this run doesn't go like the last one with the king in yellow.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'd like to play.

Lola Hayes
Jacqueline Fine

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I'm down:

Lola or Akachi

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Aleator posted:

I'm just hoping this run doesn't go like the last one with the king in yellow.

At some point in the old thread Stelas posted that he was feeling guilty at the amount of poo poo the deck was throwing at the players. :suicide:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kerro (the maker of the King in Yellow mod) and I were talking throughout the thread and both kind of amazed at how much damage was coming your way. I think the mod has a legit issue in that global, completely unavoidable damage is really rare in Eldritch Horror because of the way resting works, but you guys were getting all the global damage cards on top of that.

Anyway, Yig's harder in general, I think. A lot of the new cards are somewhat rougher than the original, which is nice, because we'd kind of got the original strategy down pat.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'd like to see what the expansion is like

Trish Scarborough
or random

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP 1

Signups are closed. Sorry to anyone who didn't get in - I will probably run another game after this, but unlike BSG there are no automated tools for Eldritch Horror so running two at once just isn't feasible. (Seriously, some of the decks are enormous now.)

Our brave and intrepid investigators are:

Alris snipes Lead Investigator as Charlie Kane.
Meinberg as Jim Culver.
Arrion as Diana Stanley.
Fat Samurai as Lily Chen.
Barry Shitpeas as Trish Scarborough.
Indigo Cephalopods as Norman Withers.

For those of you who don't know the rules, I've put the manual in the OP and please feel free to ask questions of me or your other players. The game's pure co-op, so no-one is going to steer you too wrong. Unless it's me and it'd be funny.

By and large, the key difference from Arkham is that you can't just gear up, wait Yig out, and then kill him; instead you need to build your power while simultaneously keeping Gates down and working through three Mysteries, which are special objectives unique to the Ancient One. Complete all three and you win! If Doom hits 0, he wakes up and makes the game tougher... but you still don't fight him directly until you're done with those Mysteries, and still have to manage everything else in the meantime.

In the Action Phase, you'll get two actions, listed in the Reference post. In the Encounter phase you fight any monsters on your space, then if your space is clear you choose what to encounter - Clues and Gates are part of this step and encounters in and of themselves. Finally, you get a Mythos card, which might spawn gates, monsters, or persistent Rumours that need dealing with. Run out of Mythos cards, and the game's lost.

The players are up against Yig:

Yig posted:

• Starting Doom: 10
  • On a Reckoning, spawn a Cultist on the current Expedition space. Then, if there are more than 2 monsters on that space, advance Doom.
  • If Doom reaches 0, Yig awakens.
  • Cultists have the following stats: Cultist - 1/1 HP. Sanity: Will vs. 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs. 2. If you lose Health from the Combat test, gain a Poisoned condition.
  • Mythos Deck:
    • Stage 1 - 1 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 2 - 2 Green, 3 Yellow, 1 Blue.
    • Stage 3 - 2 Green, 4 Yellow.

Poisoned is a new status effect for the expansion. The next time you Rest, you will not recover Health or Sanity - but you will get to flip the card and find out how to lose the condition. Green Mythos cards are Omen, Monster Surge, Clues. Yellow cards are Omen, Reckoning, Clues. Blue cards are Clues, Rumour.

Yig's deal, as far as I can tell, is that you really have to be on top of Gates. While he may not trigger a whole lot of Doom himself from his innate ability, 10 Doom is a remarkably small number when you're dealing with that many Yellow cards. The saving grace here is that he's actually not all that dangerous once he's woken up - the intention seems to be that Yig's Awakening is much less of a final note than the other Ancient Ones, and more a natural part of the game. Expect to see a lot of conditions thrown around - it kind of seems to be Yig's thing. Also, be prepared for his Research Encounters to be pretty punishing...

The game will start properly once I'm, y'know, not at work. If anyone has rules questions, now is the time!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So the rules themselves don't change with the expansion, right? It's just a bunch of new cards/events/whathaveyou.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

So the rules themselves don't change with the expansion, right? It's just a bunch of new cards/events/whathaveyou.

Yep. There's really only a couple things to be aware of:

Expansion tests are somewhat harder. Some of Yig's are [Stat]-2, which is a bit of a shock at times.
There's a bunch new encounters, items, spells, artifacts, the works. New Mysteries for everyone. New failure lists for conditions and spells.
Poisoned and Lost in Space and Time are new conditions, but you don't really need to worry about how to resolve them until you actually get them.
Charlie Kane is still OP.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Is there any place that I could look at a high-res image of the map? I think it might help me to understand how everything fits together.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My version of the map has some real issues - I'm going to hunt around to try to find a better scan before starting the game properly, and I'm also going to number the locations so that they're more clear, but:

(This is not the game's actual start, just an image from last game.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, a quick primer on how turns work:

Action Phase: Everyone takes two actions out of
- Move, spending tickets after their movement if applicable.
- Rest to recover 1 Health and 1 Sanity, if there is no monster present.
- Trade items/clues/spells/tickets with another investigator.
- Draw a ship or train ticket, limit 2 total, if you are on a City. These let you move extra after your next normal movement.
- Acquire assets, if there is no monster present and you are on a City.
- Any other 'Action:' they have on cards or character abilities.

These can be either order you choose, so if you're moving into a Wilderness you can do it after buying items in a City. You cannot take the same action twice. Monsters and Gates do not block movement unless they say they do.

Encounter Phase: For each player,
- if there are monsters on their space, they encounter all of them in an order of their choice,
- if they kill all the monsters or if there was no monster there, they choose a token at their space to encounter. This includes Gates, Clues, Dead Investigators, the City itself, the Terrain type, or the Expedition.

Probable Outcomes:
- San Francisco: Improve Observation.
- Arkham: Gain an Incantation Spell.
- Buenos Aries: Gain a Ritual Spell.
- London: Spawn Clue Tokens.
- Rome: Improve Will.
- Instanbul: Improve Influence.
- Shanghai: Improve Lore.
- Tokyo: Defeat or Discard Monsters.
- Sydney: Improve Strength.
- Land/Sea/Wilderness Generic: ???
- Clue Tokens: Gain that clue and possibly a second.
- Gate Tokens: Close that Gate. Often, gain a Clue.
- Expedition Tokens: Usually quite strong i.e. gain an Artifact, reduce Doom track, etc.

Mythos Phase: Mostly, poo poo just happens and I deal with all of this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Game start will be a little delayed, I'm just knocking together a much nicer looking board.

e:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 15, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP 2

Please note I made a mistake on Yig: his Reckoning ability reads 'On a Reckoning, place a Cultist on the Expedition space. If there are two or more monsters on the space, advance Doom'.

Players draw their starting possessions.
Doom is set to 10.
The Omen is set to Green.
The Reserve is populated with items.
Gates spawn in Arkham and Shanghai (both Red).
A Maniac spawns at Arkham, and a Byakhee at Shanghai.
The Expedition Token is placed in Tunguska.
Clues spawn in locations 4, 8, and Tunguska.

The first Mystery is drawn:

Descendants of Yig posted:

Should any human ever incur the wrath of Yig, the Father of Serpents will claim that person's child and transform the infant into a terrible snake-like creature, horrible to look upon and seemingly immortal.

When this card enters play, spawn the Children of Yig Epic Monster on a random space. At the end of the Mythos Phase, if the Children of Yig have been defeated, solve this Mystery.
The Children of Yig spawn on The Pyramids!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 1 - ACTION PHASE

Status - Turn 1 posted:

Doom: 10
Mythos Deck: 16/16
Mysteries Complete: 0/3
Gate Tokens Remaining: 9/9 (0 in discard)
Gates: Red: Arkham, Shanghai.
Omen Stage: Green -> Blue -> Red -> Blue
Expedition: Tunguska
Clues: Tunguska, 4, 8
Lead Investigator: Charlie Kane

Yig posted:

• On a Reckoning, spawn a Cultist on the current Expedition space. Then, if there are 2 or more monsters on that space, advance Doom.

Descendants of Yig posted:

Should any human ever incur the wrath of Yig, the Father of Serpents will claim that person's child and transform the infant into a terrible snake-like creature, horrible to look upon and seemingly immortal.

When this card enters play, spawn the Children of Yig Epic Monster on a random space. At the end of the Mythos Phase, if the Children of Yig have been defeated, solve this Mystery.
Monsters:
  • Arkham: Maniac - 1/1 HP. Horror: Will+1 vs 1. Combat: Strength-1 vs 2. If you fail the Combat test, you may discard 1 Ally instead of losing Health. If you defeat this Monster during combat, gain the Axe.
  • Shanghai: Byakhee - 2/2 HP. Horror: Will vs 1. Combat: Strength vs 2. If you defeat this Monster during combat, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving an encounter.
  • Tunguska: Children of Yig - 8/8 HP. No Horror roll. Combat: Strength-2 vs 2. Before combat, test Observation-1. If you fail, this Epic Monster moves immediately to a random space without a Combat test.
Reserve:
  • Bank Loan: Take this card when Acquiring Assets to get +2 successes and a Debt.
  • Tear Gas (Item/Weapon, 1): You may discard this card to reroll up to 2 dice during a Combat test. In addition, the monster's damage will be reduced by 2 to a minimum of 1.
  • Holy Cross (Item, 2): Gain +2 Will during Horror tests.
  • King James Bible (Item/Tome, 2): You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Horror test. When you rest, recover 1 additional Sanity.
  • Mystic Bounty Hunter (Ally, 2): Gain +1 Strength during Combat tests. Gain +2 Lore when resolving Spell tests.
Investigators:
  • Charlie Kane (Alris) - Health 4/4, Sanity 8/8. Lore 2, Influence 4, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 2.
    Action: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
    When you acquire assets, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.
    Personal Assistant: Gain +1 Influence. You may reroll 1 die in Influence tests.

• Jim Culver (Meinberg) - Health 7/7, Sanity 5/5. Lore 3, Influence 3, Observation 2, Strength 2, Will 3. 1 Clue.
    Action: You and each investigator on your space recovers 1 Sanity.
    You and investigators on your space roll 1 additional die in all Combat and Horror tests.
    Shriveling Spell: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a Monster on your space to lose 2 Health. Then flip this card.

• Diana Stanley (Arrion) - Health 7/7, Sanity 5/5. Lore 4, Influence 2, Observation 3, Strength 3, Will 1.
    Action: If there is a Cultist on your space, discard all Monsters on that space or move the Cultist to any other space.
    Reduce the Horror test of Monsters you encounter to difficulty 1.
    Arcane Manuscripts: Gain +1 Lore when resolving Spell effects.
    Wither Spell: When resolving a Combat test, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that test. Then flip this card.

• Lily Chen (Fat Samurai) - Health 6/6, Sanity 6/6. Lore 2, Influence 2, Observation 2, Strength 4, Will 3.
    Action: Spend any number of Health or Sanity, and regain an equal amount of Health or Sanity.
    When you improve a skill, you may immediately improve that skill again.
    Protective Amulet: Gain +1 Will during Horror tests.
    Lucky Rabbit's Foot: Once per round, you may reroll a die.

• Trish Scarborough (Barry Shitpeas) - Health 7/7, Sanity 5/5. Lore 1, Influence 3, Observation 4, Strength 3, Will 2.
    Action: If you do not have any Clues, gain 1 Clue.
    If an investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, he may reroll up to 2 dice instead.
    .45 Automatic: Gain +3 Strength during Combat tests.

• Norman Withers (Indigo Cephalopods) - Health 5/5, Sanity 7/7. Lore 3, Influence 1, Observation 3, Strength 2, Will 1.
    Action: Spend 2 Clues to discard 1 Monster from a space containing a Gate.
    Once per round, you may spend 1 Sanity in place of spending 1 Clue.
    Feed The Mind Spell: Action: Test Lore-1. If you pass, choose an investigator on your space to improve 1 skill of their choice. Then flip this card.

Action Queue:
- Everyone: 2 actions.

:cthulhu: So, remember that your primary goal is to complete Mysteries... but it won't do you much good to just fling yourself against the Children of Yig without the ability to hurt them, so building up your power and managing Gates while you do so is the key to winning.

Everyone can take their actions simultaneously, though I will tend to resolve purchases in Lead Investigator order. Which is a good thing for you lot because, well, Charlie Kane. For the sake of establishing some terms, 'Combat' tests refer to the Strength part of a combat, and 'Horror' to the Will test.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'm going to float my turn idea to see if it is a terrible idea, before I commit, if that's alright. I was thinking of trying to get an asset, then heading up to Arkham and blasting the maniac with my spell. If the maniac is killed, do I still activate an encounter?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Meinberg posted:

I'm going to float my turn idea to see if it is a terrible idea, before I commit, if that's alright. I was thinking of trying to get an asset, then heading up to Arkham and blasting the maniac with my spell. If the maniac is killed, do I still activate an encounter?

You ONLY activate an encounter if you defeat all monsters on that space (if there are any). There are powers and items to get around this, including one I know is from the expansion.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Meinberg posted:

If the maniac is killed, do I still activate an encounter?

Yeah, you get an encounter of your choice. And an Axe.

The problem is that using Shriveling is an action, meaning it has to be done this phase rather than in the Encounter phase. (Look at the difference between Shriveling and Wither to see what I mean.) Shopping, moving and using a Spell would be one action too many. On the other hand, you've got Charlie Kane. The guy can literally do all your shopping for you.

e: Also changing your action is generally a-okay right up until I've run it.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Stelas posted:

Yeah, you get an encounter of your choice. And an Axe.

The problem is that using Shriveling is an action, meaning it has to be done this phase rather than in the Encounter phase. (Look at the difference between Shriveling and Wither to see what I mean.) Shopping, moving and using a Spell would be one action too many. On the other hand, you've got Charlie Kane. The guy can literally do all your shopping for you.

e: Also changing your action is generally a-okay right up until I've run it.

Ah, that makes sense. One last question then, what does it take to unflip Shriveling?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Meinberg posted:

One last question then, what does it take to unflip Shriveling?

This takes a little explaining. The idea is that in Eldritch Horror, spells and conditions have secret stuff printed on their underside. In the case of spells, the more successes you get, the more chance you have of warding off Sanity costs or bad effects. Get enough successes, and you'll get a bonus. Most of the time they'll say 'and flip this back over', I just include all the card text. Conditions are the same sort of way except you get the condition and it triggers at some point in the future, then is usually discarded.

So for a spell it's just 'hey there's some stuff to read on the back of the card'.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Ok, I'll post my action.

Move to Buenos Aires
Acquire Assets Buy either King James Bible if available, or Holy Cross. Take on debt to do so. if I have a spare purchasing point left over, buy Tear Gas

Why I'm doing this. Diana's main strength is she's the best spell caster in the game at the beginning thanks to Arcane Manuscripts. She's also pretty good at fighting monsters (particularly high horror monsters) and expeditions. Her main weaknesses are she's terrible at non-combat Will checks, and she bleeds sanity slowly from casting spells and combat and can easily go insane.

I'm going to Buenos Aires to try farming rituals. Either Plumb the Void (teleports people) or Blessing of Isis (gives people a blessing) would be huge. For items, either King James Bible or Holy Cross will make her almost immune to horror checks from monsters. The extra sanity while resting from KJB also shores up her weakness nicely.

I think moving and blasting the Maniac on Arkham is a good idea for Jim. Jim's probably the best investigator we have right now for closing gates, so you can try to close the gate in the encounter phase.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Alright, let's do my action then.

Move to Arkham
Activate Shriveling

I got a 70% of taking out that maniac, which seems good enough to me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As a quick note, you generally don't need to CO what you're going to buy or do, I'll pause and let you decide. Basically, since the game's pure co-op, we can be a whole lot less strict about getting stuff in order and make the game run that bit faster instead. Also, I forgot: Shriveling the Maniac does not count as combat, so no Axe.

Also, please bold what encounter you want to do at your location if there's a choice of stuff there - remember that you do not have to encounter a Gate just because one's there.

--

Culver moves to Arkham, and does his best to smoke out a looney. (Lore: 1 1 5) The Maniac takes 2 damage and is defeated.

Shriveling, 1 success posted:

The distinct smell of burning flesh lets you know the spell has been cast correctly. Lose 1 Sanity.
Stanley moves to Buenos Aires, and hits up the casinos. (Influence: 2 2)

Action Queue
- Kane / Chen / Scarborough / Withers: 2 actions.
- Stanley: Spend 0 money, or discard an item from the reserve. Remember that a Bank Loan is an option for +2.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Hopefully Charlie Kane will buy the Mystic Bounty Hunter and send it to you or Norman Withers.

Another rules note, when making a test, you can only use one effect that adds to the skill being used. So the Mystic Bounty Hunter's +1 strength only matters when you don't have a better weapon. And the +2 Lore for spells doesn't stack with my Arcane Manuscripts. So the Bounty Hunter will take either Jim or Norman to 5 dice for casting spells from 3, but will only take Diana to 6 dice from 5.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Take a Bank Loan and buy King James Bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think I'm best placed to take on the Children; it's just whether I want to pick up the clue in Tunguska first. Given that there will be cultists spawning there as well it might be better to head there later.

Gain a clue
Move to Istanbul

Istanbul encounter

• Locked thread