Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I've developed a hobby interest in birds, so, off the top of my head: Size is the main difference - ravens are much larger. Ravens have a fluffy black feather part at their neck, crows don't. Otherwise, hard to tell the difference, especially at any distance. Fun fact - crows hate ravens! Ravens don't give a poo poo.

Same. Avid bird feeder watcher, we have over 40 types we may see daily here on the coast south of Boston. Audubahn field guides stress this. Shape and size first, then color and pattern.

Edit: shelled sunflower is the best but if you start a feeder don't stop, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Beautiful work :stare:

I hav a big cock too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Luvcow posted:

Same. Avid bird feeder watcher, we have over 40 types we may see daily here on the coast south of Boston. Audubahn field guides stress this. Shape and size first, then color and pattern.

Edit: shelled sunflower is the best but if you start a feeder don't stop, ever.

LOL. Same. I've got two bird feeders now, and I'm getting a bit obsessive - I've got a checklist of all the birds whom I've identified. Sunflower seeds do seem the favorite here too. I just tried a seed/nut mix and the birds literally picked out all the good stuff and left the yellow millet.

That said, a crew (6-10) of bluejays just showed up, and I don't like them. They take over the bird feeders, scare all the other birds away, and I can't keep them away.

Advice? I'm thinking of killing one and leaving its body as a warning to the others, but I know this is wrong. Right?

Rose breasted grosbeak is super cool and chill.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Quoth the raven, "Gimme some more!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh, and also, I just picked up the best bird book, since 1. It's state specific, and I don't have to flip through hundreds of pages of birds that live in the Florida everglades who I will never see in Maine, and 2. It's organized by color of the bird - so if you see a yellow bird, flip to the yellow section. It's got great big pictures that are super useful.

I have the Sibley guide to birds of Eastern America, and it's great, but sometimes its hard to get a certain identification, since there's so many choices, and just drawings.

Too many drat sparrows.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Luvcow posted:

Beautiful work :stare:

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

LOL. Same. I've got two bird feeders now, and I'm getting a bit obsessive - I've got a checklist of all the birds whom I've identified. Sunflower seeds do seem the favorite here too. I just tried a seed/nut mix and the birds literally picked out all the good stuff and left the yellow millet.

That said, a crew (6-10) of bluejays just showed up, and I don't like them. They take over the bird feeders, scare all the other birds away, and I can't keep them away.

Advice? I'm thinking of killing one and leaving its body as a warning to the others, but I know this is wrong. Right?

We had a big grey outdoor tiger cat that started a feud with some bluejays, they harassed him when he went outside. He caught and killed one in retaliation and then got dive bombed repeatedly, they took a chunk of skin off his head. We had to keep him inside for a while.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
birds are cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

We had a big grey outdoor tiger cat that started a feud with some bluejays, they harassed him when he went outside. He caught and killed one in retaliation and then got dive bombed repeatedly, they took a chunk of skin off his head. We had to keep him inside for a while.

So you're saying my idea of killing one and leaving the body as a warning ain't gonna work with this gang?

I need to kill them all then?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

Ya... My sadistic neighbor told me you wound one blue jay with a bee bee gun and he calls for others. As they come down you kill them, leaving the wounded one to keep calling more. hosed up individual. Blue jays are cool and can be bullies but don't deserve that. The songbirds (gold finches, house finches, nuthatches, titmice, chickadees, sparrows etc.) will return to get their seed after the assholes leave. For me it's 6-10 grackles in early spring that poo poo the feeder up.

Worst I deal with us squirrels and chipmunks. Grease the pokes that the feeders are on. And sharp shinned and Cooper's hawks . No way to gaurd against them.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7nE0QsnbJw&t=41s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPcGHc0ZD3o&t=145s

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Those are incredible

naem
May 29, 2011

Well I'd post more of my work but that guy up there has me outclassed

Also don't be mad at big birds and squirrels etc the little birds are well adapted to sneaking in and getting their share

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

BEAST CREW
BETTER CREW

i set out some dried mealworms for the birds (they were on sale, i dunno) and a squirrel came along and started frantically shoveling them in its mouth like protein was the one thing it'd been missing all its life. it was super gross and i'm watching my back now.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

naem posted:

Also don't be mad at big birds and squirrels etc the little birds are well adapted to sneaking in and getting their share

No worries. These are two of my recent bird doodles and they suck in comparison to yours. Have fun with it, no?

naem
May 29, 2011

Luvcow posted:

No worries. These are two of my recent bird doodles and they suck in comparison to yours. Have fun with it, no?

I lyk u

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Beast crew remains apex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

that's not a bird

clearly you are not familar with british vernacular

naem
May 29, 2011

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Do something with this.

Or I hope you are currently doing something with this.

Edit:

A house sparrow and a chickadee

Doodling for an idea for an adventure thread about birds I thought might be fun a few months ago. Just have fun with it. You are really loving talented.

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 17, 2014

naem
May 29, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Do something with this.

Or I hope you are currently doing something with this.

Ok!

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Watching the Life of Birds on netflix with my "chick."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seems like it's pretty sweet being most birds. Fly wherever you want. Plenty of food. Lots of ladies. making GBS threads on things. Sounds like a blast.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thrill Cosby posted:

Watching the Life of Birds on netflix with my "chick."
Life of birds is some pro-viewing hope you enjoy

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDGJ1LSVrkQ

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

lookit this song sparrow

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschylus posted:

he was killed outside the city by a tortoise dropped by an eagle which had mistook his head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile.[20] Pliny, in his Naturalis Historiæ, adds that Aeschylus had been staying outdoors to avoid a prophecy that he would be killed by a falling object.
makes you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_JdKJQPS9I
"for you there'll be no more crying
for you the sun will be shining"
:black101:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Luvcow posted:

all male house sparrows

oh, my god eurasian tree sparrows, males and females are identical GET IT TOGETHER BIRD CREW

j/k I love you all anyway

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can parrots be trained not to poo poo everywhere?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

redshirt posted:

Can parrots be trained not to poo poo everywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbR3ztUbcZc

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
heres some birds in space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sZ3qe6PiI

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

naem posted:

didn't want to give the impression i was that talented, i can't draw or paint worth poo poo off the computer

some more here: http://imgur.com/a/oJHp1#tyHLEQx

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've got a kawaii bat pic for BIRDS VS BEASTS but it just won't load :((((

naem
May 29, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

didn't want to give the impression i was that talented, i can't draw or paint worth poo poo off the computer

some more here: http://imgur.com/a/oJHp1#tyHLEQx

You're awesome are you kidding

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

I'm sorry about your phobia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7-hm3A7ayI

to boldly go where no quail chick has gone before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

naem posted:

You're awesome are you kidding

i know i am, but the point i was trying to get across, and i might've worded it poorly, was that i didn't do those. that poo poo is insane and i can't even draw.

• Locked thread