Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gorillas and birds, coming together. Brings a tear.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
what's the biggest irl bird?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cucking Mama posted:

By wingspan? I think it's an eagle from Australia. Golden Eagle?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cucking Mama posted:

your mum

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Cucking Mama posted:

if you're going to size its the ostrich obv

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cucking Mama posted:

It's called a Roc.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It's called a Roc.

Rokh. We're arabs here.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
yesss bird crew, finally a crew for me

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
and for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh hey dude :parrot:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

good morning

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cucking Mama posted:

Albatross is the largest and most legendary bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Bird crew joy for all mankind

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

good morning

Is that a Kingfisher?

Strange looking birds. Their heads look they were meant for a different bird.

naem
May 29, 2011

Weatherman posted:

and for me

It's beautiful

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Luvcow posted:

good morning

raptors are the best :3:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I got one thing to say, "poo poo hawks."

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
hi thred

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I put up a new bird feeder two days ago and it was like bird loving mardi gras. Seriously, all the backyard creatures lost their poo poo for a day - even though it's the same pole, the same squirrel baffle, the same bird seed, but wow! A new feeder!

Literally, all the birds and squirrels went loco for a day, and then today, hut! Back to normal.

It was odd.

Confession: I spent about 4 hours total the last two days watching my bird feeder.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I put up a new bird feeder two days ago and it was like bird loving mardi gras. Seriously, all the backyard creatures lost their poo poo for a day - even though it's the same pole, the same squirrel baffle, the same bird seed, but wow! A new feeder!

Literally, all the birds and squirrels went loco for a day, and then today, hut! Back to normal.

It was odd.

Confession: I spent about 4 hours total the last two days watching my bird feeder.

Same. loving love those goofy little fuckers

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
is this crew LGBTQIA+ friendly cause im really into other girls (and birds of course!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

:justpost:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Same. loving love those goofy little fuckers

I love them all except the Blue Jays. But I have to learn and love even them, it seems. I've no other choice, other than to feed no birds.

And that's not acceptable.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Wayside Bazaar posted:

is this crew LGBTQIA+ friendly cause im really into other girls (and birds of course!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

:justpost:

All birds welcome

redshirt posted:

I love them all except the Blue Jays. But I have to learn and love even them, it seems. I've no other choice, other than to feed no birds.

And that's not acceptable.

Blue jays lead the charge on ganging up on coopers and sharp shinned hawks sometimes. Sometimes it's
red winged black birds or crows.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

All birds welcome

Blue jays lead the charge on ganging up on coopers and sharp shinned hawks sometimes. Sometimes it's
red winged black birds or crows.

Whatever. I have a bird paradise until those bastards show up and scare off everyone else. Some days they take over the feeders completely, all day. It's lame.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

Whatever. I have a bird paradise until those bastards show up and scare off everyone else. Some days they take over the feeders completely, all day. It's lame.

Ya they are real assholes I can't really defend that. Really loud and annoying calls too. Nice blue color though.

I was more horrified when i realized most of the bird houses I'd put up for the finches, chickadees, nuthatches etc. were being used by house sparrows to help grow a fresh crop of invasive birds. And sparrows are really fun to watch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Ya they are real assholes I can't really defend that. Really loud and annoying calls too. Nice blue color though.

I was more horrified when i realized most of the bird houses I'd put up for the finches, chickadees, nuthatches etc. were being used by house sparrows to help grow a fresh crop of invasive birds. And sparrows are really fun to watch.

I got a new feeder specifically to thwart the Blue Jays, and so far I don't know what to think. Day 2 featured a 14 hour assault by at least 6 blue jays that was relentless. All my old tricks of scaring off blue jays did little on this day - another super odd bird behavior due to the new feeder.

Today, however, I've not seen a single Jay all day. So maybe the new feeder works.

For reference, I have the following main visitors: Chickadees, American goldfinch, purple finch, junco, indigo bunting, rose breasted grosbeak, and on the ground the mourning dove, the junco, the white throated sparrow, and the eastern towhee.

This community of birds gets along just fine at the feeders, until the Jays show up, and it's like a drive by shooting at the mall.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I got a new feeder specifically to thwart the Blue Jays, and so far I don't know what to think. Day 2 featured a 14 hour assault by at least 6 blue jays that was relentless. All my old tricks of scaring off blue jays did little on this day - another super odd bird behavior due to the new feeder.

Today, however, I've not seen a single Jay all day. So maybe the new feeder works.

For reference, I have the following main visitors: Chickadees, American goldfinch, purple finch, junco, indigo bunting, rose breasted grosbeak, and on the ground the mourning dove, the junco, the white throated sparrow, and the eastern towhee.

This community of birds gets along just fine at the feeders, until the Jays show up, and it's like a drive by shooting at the mall.

P much same here for birds with a few others like downy woodpecker, nuthatches, house sparrows, etc. also right on the coast so we get great blue herons, egrets, cormorants, etc. our juncos leave for the summer

Ya it sucks seeing your birds bullied and being helpless. They really do poo poo everything up like a bad movie gang. Not sure what you can do besides straight up bird murder though, but I'm no expert on bird law :ohdear: I guess I'd wonder what group of assholes would take their place in their absence.

Bird that does not suck and we have four or five of them, the tufted titmouse (not my picture :( )

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Really beautiful bird, there's one in my hometown that just kinda wanders around the local trails

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
we have wild peacocks in massachusetts?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Really beautiful bird, there's one in my hometown that just kinda wanders around the local trails

There were wild peacocks in the ruins of Knossos on the island of Crete. It was Hella cool.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Wayside Bazaar posted:

we have wild peacocks in massachusetts?!

Ya not sure exactly but I think it was something to do with the people who set the land aside in a trust http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/greater-boston/norris-reservation.html

Haven't seen it in a few years but you'd be driving by or walking in the woods. And bam! A peacock comes strutting by. Pretty big too, like big Canada goose size

redshirt posted:

There were wild peacocks in the ruins of Knossos on the island of Crete. It was Hella cool.

Ah gently caress you that's awesome, I've never been :( anthro major with a classics minor

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
That's fantastic, the trustees of reservations really are great...if i was wealthy i would donate to their fine organization to support their wonderful conservation practices. Anyways...here are some fantastic birds that live in my neck of the woods.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The best bird.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Wayside Bazaar posted:

That's fantastic, the trustees of reservations really are great...if i was wealthy i would donate to their fine organization to support their wonderful conservation practices. Anyways...here are some fantastic birds that live in my neck of the woods.

Awesome birds. Turkey's are gonna hatch around here soon. Been out paddling last few weeks and the geese are out honking on the corners of the river. Love spring. What part of mass are you? I know redshirt is Maine so we all have somewhat similar birds.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
northshore, along the banks of the ipswich river

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Delicious

• Locked thread