Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Masques foil dark ritual, crazy bad art brainstorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If GP Vegas caps out (10,000 people), enough goyfs/foil goyfs will be opened for 126 people to have a playset. Enjoy your 400+ dollar vanilla creature.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here's my cheerios thanks and have a good read

Creatures (7)

3 Monastery Mentor
4 Puresteel Paladin

Lands (15)

1 Island
2 Plains
3 Flooded Strand
2 Glimmervoid
1 Godless Shrine
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Mystic Gate
1 Polluted Delta

Spells (38)

4 Accorder's Shield
3 Bone Saw
3 Kite Shield
4 Paradise Mantle
1 Sigil of Distinction
4 Spidersilk Net
2 Muddle the Mixture
3 Noxious Revival
4 Retract
4 Mox Opal
1 Grapeshot
1 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant (Warning, spicy)
3 Gitaxian Probe
1 Hurkyl's Recall

Sideboard
2 Angel's Grace
3 Batwing Brume
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Muddle the Mixture
2 Spirit Link
2 Silence
1 Echoing Truth
3 Cavern of Souls

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I'm building Lands because I love fun and fun things, and it's real weird getting back into a format I havent played since the early 2000s. I own two Tiagas now, my first duals in 15 years!

Well, thats my story.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sigma-X posted:

I've spent the last two weekly legacys getting my poo poo pushed in (my only two since the banning of Dig) after previously being a lot better and winning with it so I think the meta has shifted terminally for lands (or taking a hiatus for like 7 weeks and moving into a new meta is bad for playing).

Seriously though, there's poo poo like reanimator and storm and about a million shardless bug / hymn / D&T decks in my local meta now which is a pain in the rear end.

With the exception of storm all of those matchups have been pretty good for me (and from what I've heard, they should be). What's your current build?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah the build I'm running has mainboard Karakas + 3 Mazes so reanimator hasn't been an issue. The others are just kind of a general favorable I think, but I havent run in to maindeck meddling mage. Are you running a Tabernacle? That seems to slow people down enough for me to be able to get decent time against. Having a single ghost quarter mainboard has been great too.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

alright nerds let's get a GP Pittsburgh roll-call. I'll be there. Look for the fat nerd playing a bad deck

Ill be there but not for the main event since Seventy American Dollars For A Constructed Tournament

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If you want to see a fun goofy legacy deck that's been doing pretty well recently, here's a deck tech for MonoU Stompy from a local at Curio Cavern

(nerd warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prIMfUECW_E

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm all for more Magic if people want to play it, so I'm not criticizing the idea itself but no reserve Legacy would be a completely different animal and the meta would likely look completely different.

Like I said I'm all for it if people want to play another format with cool cards but I don't think its reasonable to pretend people will just play Zen Duals and Shocks and we'll all just play the same decks.

Yeah the format becomes really weird since all of the interesting mana management decks go away - delver, storm, lands, elves, 4c loam, and shardless probably all just die. Reanimator, Burn, Miracles, and Sneak&Show probably survive pretty well. There probably would be a storm deck of some sort, but it's much worse.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think shardless bug would die? I'm not sure if it couldn't translate. Elves can live without cradle from what I understand.

Elves losing cradle and duals means it's real hard for them to be explosive or consistent. The black splash being painful also means that since they arent as explosive they're much more susceptible to being rushed down (since they probably dont want to be chumping)

I've seen a cool Blue Moon legacy deck that I think I posted the tech of a while ago that seems like it would be strong. It loses city of traitors unfortunately.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Delver doesn't really have the option of going for basics like other decks do so the Delver player is going to disproportionately hit himself more than a guy running a deck with actual basics. That's going to make a lot of match ups significantly worse. Neither the RUG tempo style of old Delver decks or the more recent 4 Color-Goodstuff decks are going to very appealing when they have to shock themselves more often than their opponents. The four color goodstuff versions might not be viable at all IMO. U/R disappeared without Treasure Cruise, but maybe it becomes more viable?

It's gonna be a whole different world, its not just about what cards you lose access to or whether the changes in lands hurt you, but a few shifts in the metagame make certain plans a lot worse. If Wasteland starts being a less appealing card in a world where there are real incentives to playing more basics, and if enough of the meta shifts then the old stand-by of "Stifle, Wasteland, I win" might no longer be viable either.

It's also a big thing that daze becomes really, really hard to justify and it's a huge part of that deck.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BizarroAzrael posted:

Myself I'm more upset that they released new cards that affected a format, stopping my complaint that it's stagnant. Why won't they hurry up and ban things so I can complain that they keep banning things?

Has anyone here tried Tom Ross's proposed fomat (singleton 60 cards, modern permitted cards, nothing with "search a library" on it)? I think it's interesting as an idea but think the lack of consistency would be a problem, and side-boarding becomes time-consuming in place of searches. Possibly it might be better to test modern singleton, no ban list first, then look at targeted banning or the removal of searches.

I mean I'm assuming that it's meant to be a casual format because singleton no searching decks would be a total shitshow w/r/t competitive play. It would be Variance™: The Gathering.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Idk if this is better or worse than several thousand in cardboard

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I'm going to GP Charlotte in May and I'm wondering.. what will modern look like with eldrazi nerfed? Assuming they ban eye or Temple to slow the deck down a reasonable degree. We haven't really been able to experience modern post twin ban because of eldrazi. Will an eye ban be enough to keep tron down in numbers? Will "fair" goodstuff decks be viable again? Really not sure what to start practicing with for May.

Play broken combo garbage with as little interaction as possible. Grishoalbrand / Ad Naus / Storm / Tron (still) / Chord, and just RNG your way to the top. Unless they print some very, very good blue cards in SoI that haven't been spoiled yet there's no reason to play anything fair. I mean gently caress bloom w/ Asuza is still probably better than a fair deck.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Last night at Curio legacy I got to live the dream of gambling for a Crucible after getting my Loam surgical extractioned, and then waste locking the other guy. IT WAS FUN AND INTERACTIVE MAGIC. Then I lost to Infect in G3 on turn 2 with an actually unbeatable hand. He had a spare force/blue card left in hand after forcing my first Sphere of Resistance, and stopping my crop rotation for a Maze via vines of vastwood.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 24, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

Your first Crop Rotation against infect should always get Glacial Chasm. I learned that the hard way...

Hard to glacial chasm with 1 land on the field off a crop rotation

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

I thought it was T2... If it was T1 then I'm wrong.

It was his t2 on the play

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

A Moose posted:

I mean, isn't there going to be a point where there aren't 8 legacy players left in any given state to have a tournament with? So now in addition to spending the price of a car on your deck, you also have to buy plane tickets if you ever want to play it? What is everybody's problem with modern anyway?

The reason legacy is expensive is because there's less cards for more people that want to play it. Legacy is bigger than it's ever been player count wise, it's only shrinking in terms of % of overall playerbase. Yes there are places that don't have the players needed for legacy, but there's also plenty of places that have a thriving legacy community.

Also my problem with modern is that it has a bunch of super powerful strategies without any of the good restrictive strategies, so the format is very goldfishy and not very interactive. On top of that the arbitrary reprinting/not reprinting/banning/buyout cycle means it's a crapshoot if your deck is 5 bucks or 2000. Price is still secondary to the fact the format just isn't very fun at the moment.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chamale posted:

I added up my MTGO collection and realized it's worth somewhere north of $2000. That kind of money would be stupid to put into a well-programmed game, let alone MODO. I'm going to sell it, but maybe buy one sweet Legacy deck that I can play and have fun with for a long time. Any recommendations? What's a sweet Legacy deck that doesn't get stale? Also, is there even enough of a Legacy scene on MODO to make this a good idea, or should I just play Pauper and keep a couple hundred tix to try to go infinite with drafting?

Honestly if you just keep the most expensive cards out of the subset of decks you like (Say, Goyfs/Fetches/Wastes/Forces) you can trade around the smaller parts pretty easily and have 3-5 decks to choose from.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I don't really know if we do cool deck pic sharing but my lands deck is gettin' mighty pritty and I scanned it. Clicky to see a photobucket album with it, or look here for 60mb picture dropbox link

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Vital Signs posted:

I recently moved about 3-4 hours to Northern Michigan and I'm having a tough time adjusting to the new magic scene. Being in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area for 5+ years had me spoiled. Almost every store ran a tournament each night of the week, so there was plenty of opportunity to play almost any format. Up here everything seems to be based around the weekend with tournaments only going on Friday and Saturday. Any suggestions from anyone from smaller towns/areas on how to get Modern to fire during the week and convince the store owner to do it? My experience as a former TO and store employee downstate may get him to listen, but I want to be successful in my attempt. I was thinking of trying a monthly event during the week to see how that went.

Is it a format they normally play on weekends, or a format they don't normally play at all? We got legacy started at one of the stores I go to via proxy tournaments. If there's already an audience but you just want another day, find some of the people who play already and ask if they want to play some on a weekday.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So with EMA coming out it might be a good idea to have an updated OP w/ some decks for people to try that highlight EMA cards. Could set it up as like, "HERE ARE THE CARDS YOU CAN GET IN EMA", "HERE ARE THE RESERVED LIST CARDS", "HERE ARE SOME ALTERNATIVES".

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

It's not all that bad against Elves. I honestly think it's favored post-board. We get so many haymakers between Jitte, Containment Priest, Canonist, possibly Humility.

Of course it can't ever beat Eldrazi so there's that.

Hey you can play Moat and win via flickerwisp and wingmare

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If you're playing white, have you heard of our lord and savior terminus? Also, playing blue?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

I didn't watch the coverage, but... man, there's no way Manic Scribe works, right? It's not like you have symmetrical mill so you can easily bin an orb or one of your dudes. Is 2 mana for a blocker and mill 3 good enough?

I know there are some NoVA goons that lurk around this thread and I'm thinking of playing noted bad format Modern at Curio for the super IQ this weekend. Anyone else thinking of going? I'm trying to decide between Elves and Stompy. i have Ascendancy too but not nearly enough reps to feel comfortable taking it to Curio.

Go for it! I'm head judging the event :)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

if you see a fat nerd casting an Avatar of the Resolute, there's high odds it's me

Feel free to come up and say hi, it would probably be easier.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok so EMA and Legacy Gauntlet are coming, and Everblight said he doesn't really play anymore, so I'm going to post a new thread in the next few days here. Feel free to throw out suggestions for stuff. My basic plan is to showcase the decks that will be in the gauntlet (but better builds of all of them), some general info on Legacy / Vintage, and maybe some plans on getting into the formats. How much should I mention modern since that's not technically an "eternal" format? I'm not as knowledgeable in it, does someone want to take a second post to explain modern?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

And that's why there shouldn't be a new thread. It will be 99.999999999999% that.

Nah I'll enjoy my 5,000 word primer on legacy followed by steve's "lol" as a first reply.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

if theres anything i've learned from ops from other games subforums, it's to make sure to put useful information that people will inevitably not read in the op

What am I actually supposed to do work?

Update: There were more decks in the gauntlet than I expected this is a lot of words nobody will read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620 new thread with too many words

• Locked thread