Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Updated the thread tag to Treasure due to shadowy collector cabal's wishes :ninja:

So what can I play in eternal formats?

The full list is here, but for modern it's basically "everything with the new face." (the exceptions being cards with the new face that haven't been printed since Eigth edition, like Tainted Field from the new Duel Deck or Judge Promos.) Legacy is "mostly everything that's not restricted in Type IVintage."

But what cards should I play?

http://www.metamox.com/staples.php has a list of the top cards being played in each format right now

Wait, that card is how much now?

There's no getting around it, Eternal formats are expensive, and unlike legacy, in Modern you can't sneak wins and take 8th place using a $60 burn deck - the format is completely dependent on fetches and the big-money cards to win. Expect to drop in the neighborhood of $200-300 on a deck not counting its manabase, and another $500 on the manabase itself. On the upside, nothing in Modern is forbidden from being reprinted, so you get bonus volatility that doesn't exist in legacy. Still, if previous reprints have taught us anything, it's that after an initial dip as the available stock expands, supply will far outstrip demand and prices will slingshot past their old highs.

I've found BidWicket immensely easier/cheaper to get cards from, especially common/uncommon staples. You can comparison shop and get things on the cheap, just be aware that paying a few cents more per card can make financial sense on shipping. White Lion and Strike Zone are consistently cheap and great. Also, Gixen is free and lets you snipe if you want to try your luck with eBay; it's a fairly simple interface and can save you beaucoups dollars.

This is stupid, I don't wanna pay that much!
That's not a question, Janet, but here's the thing: It's an eternal format, so once you buy your manabase, you're pretty much set, and you'll be able to trade out fetches/duals into decks with new pieces when you want to change things up. There's also several staples like Path to Exile that, while $20 for a playset of uncommons, are usable across several decks forever. And since the cards aren't really set to get cheaper any time soon, Modern is the safest place to keep your money this side of a Mox in terms of being able to cash out and buy a car/semester of classes a few years down the road.

Where can I play Modern and Legacy?
Odds are your friendly local gaming store has Modern nights on a non-Friday night, like Wednesday. If not, ask about forming one. Modern is also ¼ of the tournament season.

Legacy is loving crazy!
It sure is! The most broken yet fun decks are all played in Legacy. For example,

quote:

Dredge is like one of those sea creatures that eats with its butt. Wholly natural, but un-loving-believable until you see it in action for yourself
There's even a budget deck conceived by our own AATREK CURES KIDS called Breakfast Burrito that some helpful fuckers at StarCityGames stole, made worse, and renamed 'oops all spells' because they are idiots.

Seriously, look at this poo poo:
code:
 Instants [8]
4 Crop Rotation
4 Enlightened Tutor

Sorceries [2]
2 Idyllic Tutor

Enchantments [35]
3 Suppression Field
4 Leyline of Anticipation
4 Leyline of Lifeforce
4 Leyline of Punishment
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Leyline of Vitality
4 Leyline of the Meek
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Opalescence

Artifacts [5]
1 Helm of Obedience
4 Serum Powder

Lands [11]
3 Temple Garden
4 City of Brass
4 Serra's Sanctum
Chris Wolfmeyer took that to a top-8 finish in TYOOL 2014. Legacy is loving amazing.

Finally, please don't get into #mtgfinance talk about spec targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Our large-ish weekly modern event at Card Kingdom has been taken down two weeks in a row by a guy playing "just some zombie devotion deck I threw together." Played against him, he's running stuff like singleton(!) Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, Mortician Beetle, Nykthos, a Phyrexian Obliterator or two and some Bloodghasts. It's pretty :stare: but it works because I guess no one but me plays Grafdigger's Cage?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

homerlaw posted:

How viable is legacy re-animator right now with all the graveyard hate out right now, decent or not?

TinFins is a deck, but Dredge and Breakfast Burrito are faster decks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Is this a typo? That's a red card, way too expensive and bad for your gameplan, and I'm assuming it was accidentally pasted in.

:ssh: restoration angel

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bhsman posted:

I like the Pay 3 Life = R ogre dude; he could create some nutty hands for Sneak Attack decks.

If you have 3R available, why not just cast Sneak Attack rather than this guy, then pay 15 life to Sneak Attack the same turn?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of a rough draft of a deck I wrote up last summer after a goon saw something like it at a local Modern event. I'm ramping into Descendant's Path + cheap Eldrazi to cast Emrakul for free, it's pretty flimsy but I do like the idea of cheating huge creatures into play.

Shelldock.dec is still Johnny-er

2 Emrakul
4 Shelldock Isle
4 Surgical Extraction
50 Shadowborn Apostle

always choose to draw.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jorath posted:

What about Top?

Doesn't let you win off Lab Maniac I'd guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any suggestions to help shore up the weaker matchups?
Not that burn is a thing to worry about, but Dragon's Claw puts in work

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cabal Therapy sees play elsewhere and trades super-hot anyway.

Leyline of Sanctity, Elesh Norn and Griselbrand all see play in Modern and EDH, and you'll have no problem moving them if/when you try and get out of the deck. Ichorid is about the only card more than a dollar that you can't easily port or trade. And that $400 tag is assuming you're paying the $0.45 for Golgari Grave-Shell or whatever when they can be had for free from one of your friend's "big box o' commons" next time you're over.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

Or we could be honest and admit that the vast majority of that deck is bulk that could be had for cheap, and plenty of copies of the expensive cards can be had for 10 to 5 dollars less than their highest listings.
Yeah, I was gonna say playsets of Dryad Arbor are $16, playsets of Bridge from Below are $12. Shop around, man. Bidwicket is your friend.

And if you're desperate, you could use Khalni Garden for the same effect as Dryad Arbor for less than a buck for the playset.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

It also means they'll have the mana to spell pierce, stifle, daze....

I thought that's what Chancellor of the Annex was for?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

Yeah, storm is fine. That list is obviously worse against aggro than the "regular" version but otherwise all of the other cards are exactly the same. Bolts make the matchup better, and maybe you find room for an Aetherize or something but I'm not sure if that is correct.

You maindeck bolts not JUST because they make your aggro matchup better, but because under an active Pyromancer's Ascension every bolt is effectively +7 to your storm count.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I ran storm tonight at modern at Card Kingdom, went 3-1. Beat the poo poo out of Pod off of Blood Moon, got curbstomped by America, beat America in a super-tight game that involved a Grapeshot for 15 when he was at 17, then Goblin Electromancer beats for the win, then a free pass vs Burn (who was inexplicably not running Blood Moon, which would have slowed me down by a lot). Got to live the dream of having two online Pyromancer's Ascension and then casting Bolt for 9 damage, so that was fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

These days I've seen newish players register "Rock Aggro" lists because to them Rock is synonymous with G/B, it might not be accurate but a lot of the names and short hand has gotten away from what it used to mean
It isn't Rock until Phyrexian Plaguelord shows up in your 60 :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kizudarake posted:

xathrid necromancers and Elspeth
rtfc

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

e: also, the one Vintage Masters booster I cracked had a City in a Bottle in it. Am I right in assuming it's a hate card against Dredge? Vintage doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's just there to be cute. Before the errata, it was a techy answer to Burn decks piloted by insufferable Mr. Suitcase shitheads.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

What Dredge cards are you hating out with City? Bazaar and Library are the only ones I can think of.
Exactly. Dredge isn't a thing in Vintage, and Bazaar and Library are banned in Legacy. City in a Bottle is a solution looking for a problem.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Even if you don't have fetches, the ability to mill 6 (or 12) off a land drop-> fetch-> land is so strong I'd almost suggest Terramorphic Expanse. Hedron Crab is that good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

I only looked at your fetchless version, but crypt incursion looks pretty bad and I'd probably replace it with a removal spell or damnation or something.
Do not listen to this man, Crypt Incursion is basically the ultimate control card. The opposing player cannot win when you possess a card in your deck that says "2B, Instant: Gain 39 life" (this is about average vs aggro). You don't need Damnation if they can't beat you without four more turns of swinging when they have 3 cards left in their deck.

I played turbomill for a while, ironically it folds to non-tier-1 decks, as these unpowered players aren't playing the fetches that make your archive traps live. Infect (and affinity if you don't have instant answers for each Inkmoth Nexus they drop) are very tough matchups for you, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So Heartless Summoning and Perilous Myr exist... anyone ever try and rebuild Goblin Bombardment using Enduring Renewal (which got timeshifted)? Or is it just too fragile?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

That's a 3 card combo using some pretty marginal cards, why do that instead of 1-2 card combos like scapeshift or twin?

Because a B/W shell gives you stuff like Thoughtseize, Leyline of Sanctity and Silence to protect your combo, and Heartless Summoning already combos with a bunch of stuff. It was just navel-gazing, I'm not serious (it scoops to all sorts of graveyard hate since it's triggered instead of replacement effect), but it's something that might be fun to gin up for a casual modern event.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

Has anyone given cruel control a whirl in modern? How did it play and what were the tough match ups?

I've played against Cruel Control a few times, and every time it was at the X-2 tables, and it was always just too drat slow to matter. It's just outclassed by the answers of America Control and the threats of Jund.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah what Everblight said. If you want to cast a 7 cmc spell why not scapeshift and win on the spot?

Scapeshift of course with the added bonus of costing 3 less than Cruel Ultimatum, and castable off of Bosejiu

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Ban Emrakul in all formats. :unsmigghh:

Honestly that's not the worst thing. Emrakul exists solely to be cheated into play, not hardcast. With it gone, the next-most-busted thing to cheat in is probably Griselbrand, which while still degenerate is nowhere near as backbreaking. It would also allow "fair" cheat-them-in decks to exist.

It would get rid of Release the Ants!/Omniscience combo in legacy though, which makes me sad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

Play a Skill Borrower. Have a Kiki-Jiki on top of your library. Win the game.
How will having an arbitrary number of tapped 1/3 creature tokens and a singe untapped 1/3 win the game?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Having an aggro deck whose ideal turn 1 play is "land, artifact that does nothing until next turn, go" isn't super. Also your curve is kinda spread out compared to Merfolk, and you lack the disruption of a deck that could pack Seedtime.

Torpor Orb and E1 don't play nice together, which could be a feelbad moment for you if you weren't aware of it.

You need some Guttural Response in the board probably, and if you're playing stompy there's no reason not to run 8 fetches and 12 forests (which also gives you access to white mana via Temple Garden for RiP/other good hate)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Aston posted:

Thanks for the ideas guys. Compulsive Research definitely seems like the kind of thing I'm after.

How does Oona's Grace work as a win condition? Is the idea that you get 2 Walls/Mancers to loop it? Otherwise I imagine you'd run out of lands.

Assuming you don't mind me spamming the deck I might do some goldfishing and post a new list later this week. If things don't work out, I still have Delver blue and Affinity as other options anyway, but it would be cool to break it once in a while.

If you're running prophetic prism, why not Kaervek's Torch or even Fireball to make it old school? Also, I'm assuming you meant Sage's Row Denizen not Court Street Denizen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Really stupid question, and I probably know the answer, but let's say I have Kormus bell in play making all swamps 1/1 creatures. I use Ashnod's Transmogrant's activated ability targeting an opponent's swamp making it an artifact creature. I can then cast Splinter targeting the swamp because it is an artifact, and exile all the swamps from their library. Unless I'm missing something obscure that works right?

Yep. No need to even dip into legacy cards, either, Liquimetal Coating should get there just fine.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

They usually keep up a fetch for Dryad Arbor for that.

If they're intentionally slowing themselves down by keeping a land untapped that doesn't make mana, to go fetch another land that is essentially a tapland, then they're slower than Affinity, so enjoy your free win.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lol, PTQ Nagoya just got taken down by Tarmofinity

Step 1: Create Tier 1 Deck
Step 2: Add Tarmogoyf

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't see goyf in that list?
Looks like the third place list.
Fair enough. But the idea of affinity of all decks being improved by jamming in 4 goyfs is hilarious

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

So, next up... jamming Goyf into Gr Tron?

I'm actually being serious

Tarmogoyf serves the admirable purpose of blocking opposing Tarmogoyfs forever, so.....

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shavnir posted:

Want to trade? Last time I played modern I ran into three 8rack decks.

8rack isn't even cheap to build between the Ensnaring Bridges, Liliana of the Veil and various $5 uncommons like Inquisition of Kozilek, plus the marsh flats for Godless Shrine for your sideboard goodies

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BXCX posted:

RW Prison: Creeping Corrosion, Unravel the Aether, Beast Within
Back to Nature is probably better if it's the RW Stax variant I'm familiar with. Though Sacred Ground is probably even better, and you're in green so just use BoP or Noble Heirarch to cast it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why not run fracturing gusts instead of creeping corrosion? Hits enchantments as well as artifacts, and it works well against affinity because you can wait for them to activate their manlands.

It costs 5

EDIT: It costs 5 and he's playing Green Stompy, which usually wants to win on turn 4.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Rule of Law or Ethersworn Canonist or Eidolon of Rhetoric will stop Living End, as well as shutting down Storm. Also, Rest in Peace will stop them from getting back the creatures they're cycling.

Yeah, RIP has a lot more utility and also forces them to find Beast Within before they can even start cycling to get ahead (possibly making them cycle for no value). It also beats Storm, turns off Goyf and makes Pod have to win the hard way. Rest in Peace is A Good Card.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Going to States tomorrow, taking Finkelstorm. Getting last minute cold feet, my board looks like this currently:
  • 4 Lightning Bolt
  • 3 Hurkly's Recall
  • 3 Blood Moon
  • 2 Empty the Warrens
  • 1 Goblin Bushwacker
  • 1 Defense Grid
  • 1 Echoing Truth
Not feeling super-great, as Rest in Peace / Leyline of the Void fucks my day up hard, but I don't want to destroy my manabase splashing white for Wear/Tear and a singleton Echoing Truth always feels really mise-y.

How can I win through graveyard hate other than storm's default plan of "make them have it" and how tech-y is throwing in some Mizzium Skins?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

I shouldn't even be giving advice to someone playing Storm of all decks (I sure do love playing 2 turns in a round of Legacy. That's exactly why I bought $3000 worth of cards.) but Shattering Spree gets around Chalice and is arguably better against Affinity. It avoids their Spell Pierce if they play it.

I took the thread's advice and removed the Hurkyl's for an even 1/1/1 of Shattering Spree, Shatterstorm and Wear/Tear. I just can't give up that instant-speed goodness that Wear/Tear brings to the table, since all-in on an Inkmoth Nexus is just too much.

EDIT: So it does

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

What makes Grafdigger's Cage such garbage against Dredge? Is it just the fact that it can get removed and, once it does, the dredge player is fully equipped to come back?

Bridge From Below doesn't actually make creatures come into play from the graveyard, so you can just dredge away and make zombies at will. Sure, you can't dread return flame-kin zealot, but in Vintage you have Bazaar so you just do it on their end step, untap and win.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

legoman727 posted:

how are you even casting Myr Superion in that deck.

Edit: Oh burning Tree. that seems hilariously unreliable though.

Could bring in a Dryad Arbor or two if you need a better way to cast him :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ungulateman posted:

I have no idea what possessed me to come up with this, but I figured I'd share: Esper Geist Midrange. It's some unholy combination of B/W tokens, U/W/R midrange and purestrain jank.

http://deckstats.net/deck-4673339-799f0b7d0f7c8cfdad324a6949ef4aff.html

I'm not actually planning on building it, but what do you guys think?

Mana Leak is probably better than Remand here.

• Locked thread