Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Wow! What a round! Of hockey! Here's what happened!

And gifs!

Rangers - Pittsburgh:

Montreal - Boston:

Los Angeles - Anaheim:

Chicago - Minnesota:

(I suppose the latter two don't really summarize their respective series because LA and Chicago won but gently caress it)

Who is good at hockey? These guys!

Expect that to change since everyone knows Crawford isn't actually good

When are teams playing this round?? Soon! How soon? Well here's the schedule!

Here's this thing that I copied from the last OP because people like these! I think they're alright sometimes!

HNIC INTROS COURTESY OF FITS:
pre:
2012 HNIC INTROS 
ROUND 1
Nashville/Detroit         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Boston/Washington         Game 2 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
New York/Ottawa           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Vancouver/Los Angeles     Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5

ROUND 2
New York/Washington       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Philadelphia/New Jersey   Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5

ROUND 3
New York/New Jersey       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Phoenix/Los Angeles       Game 4 -- Game 5

STANLEY CUP FINAL
New Jersey/Los Angeles    Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6

2013 HNIC INTROS 
ROUND 1
Chicago/Minnesota         Game 1 -- Game 3 
Boston/Toronto            Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7
Montreal/Ottawa           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
St Louis/Los Angeles      Game 4 -- Game 6

ROUND 2
Pittsburgh/Ottawa         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5
Chicago/Detroit           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7

ROUND 3
Pittsburgh/Boston         Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4
Chicago/Los Angeles       Game 4 -- Game 5

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Chicago/Boston            Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6

THIS YEAR
ROUND 1
St Louis/Chicago          Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 5 -- Game 6
Tampa Bay/Montreal        Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4
Pittsburgh/Columbus       Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 -- Game 6
San Jose/Los Angeles      Game 3 -- Game 5 -- Game 6 -- Game 7

ROUND 2
Boston/Montreal           Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 
Pittsburgh/New York       Game 1 -- Game 2 -- Game 3 -- Game 4 -- Game 5 
Want to know poo poo about this dumb game that you should be watching now because it's better than the other sports you watch? Confused about who to root for (the answer is the Rangers)? Ask questions here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433470
Has your bad team already been eliminated? Haha that sucks! You can talk about them here though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624060

HOCKEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that opinion would be correct if the habs were not playing the rangers, who are much cooler

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tailored Sauce posted:

I'm really curious to see how the Rangers will ride this emotion-streak they're on right now. It certainly won't last forever, but I'm hoping they will evolve into a better team than we saw in the Philly and Pens series. Better transitions, more forechecking, and cleaner passes I think could all be important factors in beating the Habs, and hopefully the Rangers will stay consistent with those throughout all the games.

i can't verify this because i don't know where to look this poo poo up but i would imagine that the rangers' team PDO, and especially the individual PDO of guys like nash and stepan and st. louis, has to be incredibly low right now. regression to the mean will mean they actually start scoring some goals occasionally. i am hoping this happens

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Duro posted:

That being said, if Price is injured because of that cheap shot by the Rangers, I'll be asking for loving blood

could you please define "cheap shot" as you understand it

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Duro posted:

Yeah, it would have been SOOO hard to pivot even slightly so his sides/rear end hit the post instead of pointing sharp blades into the goalie's legs.

yes, that's correct. that would have been hard.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

Is there a reason why Tokarski isn't getting discussed much? He is really drat good.

it's because he actually isn't.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Furnaceface posted:

Price would have helped that game, but they still werent scoring on Lundqvist. Dude was loving dialed in.

him bad him pads big

him Roller Hockey Goalie

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Parker Lewis posted:

And Rick Nash scored a game winning goal!

he's almost as good as stephane matteau

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

BrokenCycle posted:

I'm really curious as to what the Rangers fans think about this series now that Price is out? They dominated the Habs in game one, obviously, but does it seem cheap that they're going to the SCF because some dork is in net now? How do you guys feel about it?

it sucks for montreal for sure but if we advance to the finals as a direct or indirect result of it i really don't care how it happened. if anything it makes me a little more nervous because if the rangers manage to blow it it's going to feel that much worse, that we couldn't seal the deal even with price out.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
oh grapes you silly senile man https://vine.co/v/MHvmVwPl3ZM

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anders posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few games for it. Sucks for Zuccarello if he does, with Brassard already out.

I hope he gets slotted with Nash and Stephan instead of Moore and Carcillo or something

he won't. i don't buy the "emelin playing it up" thing because he looks like his face may have hit the dasher on his way down, but it's not a suspendible hit based on what has and hasn't merited suspensions this year.

also brassard is probably back in next game

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

xzzy posted:

Yep that's certainly a winning move, leave one of the top scorers in the league all alone in the slot.

but didn't you hear he sucks and is ruined now

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Pleads posted:

Holy boats you Rangers fans are fragile and let burrs stay under your skin way, way too long. :lol:

i suppose that's one way to read the thing that i posted

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Xtanstic posted:

Him and McCarron are nowhere near the NHL squad and they're already disappointments. Save us Jacob De La Rose and Andrighetto.

but zach fucale Just Wins Games™

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

LumpyGumby posted:

Draw me like one of your French Canadian girls.

lol

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
my av is still garth snow.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aurora posted:

I don't think anyone wishes they lived in LA or New York

this makes like some of the least sense of any joke i've ever read

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aurora posted:

Maybe a nice distant suburb of either city but never really close

And by that I mean like an hour away

yeah the two cities in the country that the most people move to from both other parts of the country and other countries. nobody wants to live in those places. maybe a long way away from them.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Ginette Reno posted:

It's true though.

it's not

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
anyone who thinks a hot goalie dominating a game is boring hockey is bad and understands/enjoys hockey in a bad and wrong way

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i am not sure what i watched tonight but it was maybe kabbadi or jai alai, or maybe that southeast asian sport where people are only allowed to use their feet. possibly pesäpallo? i don't know but it was not a hockey game and that was a big bummer because what i really wanted to watch was a game of hockey

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ZeeBoi posted:

One of the best photos of tonight :)

:3: oh kovy i still love you even though you were always maddeningly inconsistent as a ranger

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Overwined posted:

The entire playoffs the guy has been totally dominant.

How quickly we forget...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

VJeff posted:

@NotDeadRyanDunn: Carcillo finals appearances: 3
Marleau finals appearances: 0

Hockey: Dumb.

don cherry nods sagely

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Apparently the latter

the 94 championship gear was great and i own all of it :colbert:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Austrian mook posted:

So why did St. Louis go from "player SAS really likes who is cool" to "whiny baby we all hate". He got traded to NY?

because everyone who thinks that is dumb

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

canuckanese posted:

gently caress the Rangers (not that they have much of a chance anyway).

watching tonight's game i am as convinced as ever that the west really is not that much better and whichever team the rangers play they will at the very least make a series of it. except for in games where they totally forget how to play (and they do sometimes, ala game 5 vs. montreal, but more often than not they don't) the rangers slow down the tempo of play and play to their strengths and do a lot to prevent teams busting through the neutral zone unopposed. they can do that to either of these teams, neither of them are facing the type of neutral zone opposition the rangers can provide right now. i'd rather get chicago because LA generates more from the back end, which the rangers sometimes have a problem with (although they didn't really against subban), but i'm pretty confident it won't be a massacre either way. especially not if lundqvist continues to be lundqvist, which is to say a significantly better goaltender than either quick or crawford.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Furnaceface posted:

This series is such good hockey but holy hell I feel like Im always on the verge of throwing up Im so tense.

Can the Kings and Hawks just play a second time for the Cup instead?

yeah it's pretty good hockey..... for a filthy casual

no but seriously the games have been fun to watch especially if you don't have a vested rooting interest but (maybe as a product of watching more of the east for most of my life) i personally enjoy more deliberate, calculated hockey that occasionally erupts into drama instead of END TO END RUSH FOLLOWED BY END TO END RUSH FOLLOWED BY END TO END RUSH because i think the latter feels almost like a basketball game and basketball bores me to death

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
fwiw i didn't say montreal-new york was a better series and i also didn't say that i expect everyone to agree with me v:shobon:v

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Emetic Hustler posted:

Except, the West also offers tight checking and defensively sound hockey on top of exciting end to end plays and spectacular saves. It offers everything a hockey game can offer at a high pace and skill level. You east coast rubes can enjoy your rec league.

i dunno about your definition of tight checking and defensively sound hockey but tonight's game and the previous game (and don't get me wrong they were both exciting) were riddled with defensive fuckups and just plain lethargic d-zone play, particularly by chicago (note their passivity on LA's power plays and seabrook's unwillingness to even attempt to make a play on LA's first goal). i'll give you spectacular saves but you'll also find that the east has had just as many of those.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Furnaceface posted:

Rags D hasnt exactly been the poster child for effective defense.

no, not always, but at their best (see: game 6) it has. even when not at their best they've done a good job mitigating the effectiveness of very good players.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

are you saying that the rags-habs series has been more deliberate, calculated hockey than kings-hawks? to me the rags-habs series has felt much more chaotic and end-to-end. i also don't agree that the rags slow down tempo when they're playing well -- imo, they look the best when it's just the opposite, a fast paced style that's heavy on the forecheck. at least against the Pens, i thought the rags looked lost when they were trying to play a slow tempo game. maybe that's a bit different now that mcdonagh is back in form, but i didn't see much slow tempo hockey in the habs series at all, so

no, because that series wasn't, for the most part, an example of what i was talking about. and by slowing down the pace i mean slowing down the pace of an opposing offense while counterattacking with their own speed.

and yes i agree that the rangers are an underdog against whoever they face for a number of reasons (immaculate possession numbers and offensive weapons that actually produce chiefly among them) but i can also see just about everything that the kings are getting over on chicago (and vice versa) being tempered by the rangers' style of defensive play at least to a certain degree (to say nothing of goaltending), so, as i said before, i think it's going to be a series no matter what happens. i think that the superiority of the west has been drastically hyperbolized and overstated.

also re: price and montreal - losing price was NOT the reason that series went the way it did and i can (in a very low risk fashion because it obviously can not be proven) guarantee you that that series would have had the exact same outcome if price had remained healthy. pretty much the only unequivocally soft goals tokarski allowed were in game 5, when soft goals were the order of the night for everyone, and he made some miraculous saves throughout the rest of the series. game 6 could have easily been 4-0.

oh and another note on a line i missed before - i can't say that either chicago or LA have looked "dominant in a series" (unless you're talking about individual games) since all of their respective series' have been very long. unless your contention has been that they've been playing against other dominant teams which SJ, ANH, STL, and MIN hardly were (note: i think that SJ were, at least for the first 3 games of that series, better than any team in the east... but only for those 3 games).

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Wippersnapper posted:

Apparently Rangers home jerseys are $64 right now on the NHL store (in the U.S). Didn't see it posted. Oh and it's customized for that price.

http://shop.nhl.com/New_York_Rangers_Gear/New_York_Rangers_Reebok_2014_NHL_Stanley_Cup_Premier_White_Jersey

Enjoy RAS.

Just ordered a zucc :swoon:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

LumpyGumby posted:

Do they have that price for the thirds? I couldn't find the same price but for the always.

I'm also on my phone, if that explains my ineptitude

No they do not :(

juche mane posted:

Actually, yeah, did this.

e" a false do you know if the place in amityville might turn my dubi into a J moore?

Probably but I have no idea what they'd charge you for that

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm 5'11" what size should I order. I think M fits me. It's been a while since I last bought a jersey. :(

Generally buy your tshirt size, maybe size down by one if you don't want it to be that roomy. I'm usually a medium but sometimes a large in certain brands of tshirt and I always go medium on a jersey

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fat Lowtax posted:

So happy I checked the thread guys

you've made a wise decision.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i didn't ever get an email but maybe it's because i used paypal hell i don't know

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

The Rangers are a good hockey team. They control the puck well, are good defensively, and have the equal best goaltender on the planet. That's pretty good.

♫heeeere's the guy that's riiiiight♪

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think anybody is claiming that the finals will come down to goaltending, but rather that Lundqvist closes the gap between the two teams quite a bit (given that the teams are somewhat similar and the Rangers' skaters are pretty good themselves). Given that short series allow a few bounces to determine an awful lot, I just don't think that the Kings are very big favourites, let alone prohibitive ones.

that's what i've been saying to people but at this point i have realized that people on the internet love to think they are prescient and know exactly what is going to happen all the time (remember The Bruins Will Win The East In a Cakewalk) and people already have their excuses prepared for the eventuality that the kings to not win ("they were worn down by playing actual good teams") and there is no sense trying to fight that.

if the rangers win the series, which i think they definitely can whether or not anyone believes it right now, i won't care how much "worst team ever to win a cup" rhetoric there is, they will still have won the cup (and the 06 canes were worse anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

the thing i can't get out of my head is that the rangers looked like they were struggling just as hard against the canadiens-sans-price (arguably the weakest team in the entire playoffs)

i don't really think they did struggle that badly in the series. the only bad game they played was game 5 which was a mess on all fronts. i also strongly dispute the canadiens-sans-price being the worst team in the playoffs thing, tokarski was plenty good and the absence of price didn't somehow make their forwards and D worse. that was still the same team that beat boston.

• Locked thread