Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Halisnacks posted:

So there must be some posters here who get really invested in their team. Some of these posters might have seen their team lose in the SCF in recent memory. Does the disappointment of making it that far to fall short overwhelm the positives of being in the final two that season?

Basically I'm looking for a silver lining for if/when the Habs do not advance. I don't know how I'd deal with Montreal being a mere 1 to 4 victories away from a Stanley Cup but not pull it off.

In the immediate postmortem, it's horrible (speaking from memories of 2010 here). Really, really horrible. But after the dust settles and you can honestly evaluate the team, things develop one of two ways - in 2010, we had to be honest and say it was a Cinderella run, that changes needed to come to the team and that the next season would be a mystery. Barring something drastic, this year I think I'll eventually come to terms with the fact that the Habs showed some great stuff this postseason and have a bright future overall.

EDIT: HAS PESSIMISM INDUCER ACTIVATED - PRICE WILL GET A CAREER ENDING INJURY WHILE SUBBAN IS KILLED BY A FALLING RAFTER AND THERRIEN GETS A LIFETIME EXTENSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Hockey is not fun today

Perhaps it will yet be fun again

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Luckily San Jose has proven that you can win a game 7 to 2 and still lose the series.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They didn't play well, Boston just played poorly.

This is a bullshit narrative based on lazy analysis that gets a lot of traction in the media. While it is true of several games in the series, for the series as a whole it's completely untrue.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

Apparently Price is not on the ice for the Mtl practice.

Welp

It was a nice postseason, anyway

FWIW I'd much rather see Tokarski than Flanders

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Also per Twitter, he skated with Stephane Waite (the goalie coach) for 50 minutes prior to practice, then in full gear for 5 minutes, THEN he left. But no other skaters left the practice early.

Source is Arpon Basu on that.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

One can't help but be reminded of the time, directly after the Olympics, we were repeatedly told, "Price is essentially fine, it's really nothing" and he ended up missing like, a month.
Honestly though I know we haven't seen much of Tokarski but he looks a lot better than Budaj. Flanders is a cool dude but might be below replacement level for backups at this point, he's been quite bad (when he's called in during the middle of a game).

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

GG Rags. Budaj at his best still doesn't give us much chance at all. Good luck against the West.

Take your bets on whether the Habs goon it up and try to run Lundqvist and/or kill Kreider

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I don't want the Habs to goon it up, but even sticking to a fast game they have a snowball's chance in Hell.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Budaj is proven as pretty bad, Tokarski has at least a chance to stun the world and look good. No sense taking an assured poor choice over a wild card.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I think at this point more Bruins fans have weighed in than either Habs or Rangers fans.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't that what he had in the Olympics too?

Yes.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I just feel bad for Price. He's had his best season ever, to see it blow a tire like this after coming so far must be absolutely gutting.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

:golfclap:

Seriously: what are the odds of Devan Dubnyk making an appearance for the Habs? He was pretty good before he completely broke at the start of this season

Zero

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

Is there a reason why Tokarski isn't getting discussed much? He is really drat good.

A few posters in here have expressed hope that he plays (myself included). As far as official sources, it's worth noting that Tokarski took the majority of the practice as the goalie, while Budaj was confined to the same sideline role that he normally takes with practices involving Price.

Habs with Tokarski = Could go down swinging, with a long shot to roll the metaphorical boxcars and stun New York
Habs with Budaj = *the noise of a trombone being sat upon by Jay Feaster*

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

canuckanese posted:

Gibson is 4 years younger, has a better pedigree, and is a better goaltender than Tokarski.

Tokarski has been pretty good in the AHL though, I guess.

He has a better GAA and and almost identical (.920 to .919) SV% as Malcolm Subban and all y'all BAS posters love him so GOD drat much, let us have our last tenuous thread of optimism in peace.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

Haha. This is going to be a trainwreck.

I'd much rather an exciting or fun Tokarski game (be it a surprisingly good performance or completely FUBAR) than a boring, all-but-assured Budaj loss (sorry Flanders). Good on Therrien, for once.

Then again I'm an idiot so maybe him agreeing with me is another bad sign

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

If he's in for Bournival then I don't even know what the gently caress. One of our fastest skaters out, after a game in which it was demonstrably proven Montreal needs to play quicker. Oh but big lumbering Prust is cool to stay

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

bournival isn't really all that good, but neither is prust

He's much faster than Prust, has (I would conjecture) better vision and is certainly overall more dangerous with the puck. It's not like losing Bournival singehandedly tanks our chances, but when there is a much better option in Prust, it becomes a fairly appalling decision

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

GDTs with Montreal playing are now a charnel house that attract a piteous sort of schadenfreude-seeking hyena, in additional to the usual gamut of cool posters.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

HOW COULD YOU posted:

My favourite game to play with GDTs is "Guess the guy who's only post is a snarky jab after the game is over"

At least I'll always have you to hold close, HOW COULD YOU

*tucks my locket with the photo of Serisothikos out of sight*

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

narrative after first game: montreal can't handle new york's speed
narrative after second game: montreal can't beat henrik lundqvist

i hope the third game montreal scores 6 goals but loses 7-6

third game: montreal needs to slow the game down and play more physical

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Are montreal fans still whining that a dude fell over while skating top speed because he got slashed so hard the stick bent?

No, but Bruins fans are still popping into the thread to remind everyone that Habs fans should apologize for having their all-world goalie knocked out of the playoffs

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm not really doing that. I just hate that argument about road taken based on goalies when MTL is really the only team who saw a real challenge from between the posts.

And after beating Rask we could have put our feet up against Fleury, but NOOOOOOOO

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Pleads posted:

This is loving stupid, you can't just stop a video on a single frame and have it tell the whole story or else Kreider would be sitting for at least 10

This is the most gutless blow the American cavalry has dealt to an Aboriginal patella since the Massacre at Wounded Knee

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

evenworse username posted:

From practice today, Bournival will be in for Prust and ... Bouillon will be in for Beaulieu.

Allrighty.

Apparently Therrien was also salty because some Rangers' assistants were around during Habs practice. Man, this series is getting bitchy.

Rule of Therrien demands every good lineup change be balanced with a bad one. Walk the middle path toward destruction.

\/ \/ The only real casualty is another hit to Beaulieu's valuable chances at playoff experience, and another incident for the mountain of evidence that Therrien is a complete moron who has no idea how to build and maintain young players' confidence.

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 24, 2014

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i like how beaulieu gets scratched but emelin continues to be sent out there to let all new york's skaters walk around him on the rush.

Not a rookie? No problem.
\

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sure he'll subtly work in the phrase "C'est une boulette de viande épicée!"

e: Rotten Cookies is right, it'd be way better/more succinct if he just screamed TRICHER POUR GAGNER

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2014

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

I want Montreal to pull it out in the East just to see what the Kings would do to them without Price.

See, the reason no one likes Kings posters is because they openly defy the SAS requirement to be morose and lovely about your team no matter how good they are.

This is also why everyone would rather die than have the Kings win the Cup again

I mean god drat gently caress the Kings so much

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

Crosby's still probably top 10

Wow.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Derek Dorsett snowed the Canadiens flag kid

(Luckily teammate and cool guy Zuccarello negates his shittery)

Willful ignorance can also make it look kinda like Bouillon knocks the kid over, so he should probably be removed from the lineup

e: for ever

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 28, 2014

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

neoaxd posted:

Yes, and the Habs came back from being down 3-1 to win the series.
:getin:

WOAH THERE

I'm moving HAS to :siren: OPTCON 3 :siren: - Elevated optimism above that required for normal posting.

Pessimism posters are being instructed to increase readiness and be ready to mobilize in fifteen minutes, including those aboard submarines carrying Therrien II pathos payloads.

Let's all keep a cool head here and remember that our team sucks and is poo poo and is also piss

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think St. Dogbert is a Habs fan, at least I hope not. Earnestly referencing loving Dilbert tarnishes our image as an Argument Stadium irreparably.

e: I also don't remember Duro being quite this extreme, I think he might be hamming it up for his own amusement.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

sweet thursday posted:

New York is a cool place with cool people and they've suffered long enough and the Ghost of Mark Messier will make sure the Cup returns

I'm the fat dude in the World Series sweater reacting to this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

In addition to Lundqvist's amazing save, this is an excellent example of Vanek's new playstyle of complete, utter, baffling refusal to shoot the puck.

• Locked thread