Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Tin Tim posted:

This game is making me very hard

CitrusFrog posted:

I still can't believe the devs for this game are from my adopted home state of IL :D

Skyscraper posted:

It's not just map editing, there's some really excellent gameplay in here too.

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Can you make tracers a toggle-able option? Ease of use aside, I think you have the coolest tracers, and giving each one of my shots a neon underglow would be just perfect.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn the lighting you've got going on in this game is gorgeous.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
@Skyscraper -- even if i were to move away from all bullets being tracers, they would still be ~1 in 5 depending on the MG's rate of fire. We just haven't gotten around to properly testing it since there are so many other higher priority systems that need attention. And people do like the bullet illumination, so we might just stick with that more stylized effect.

@Yodzilla -- cheers! we've spent a very long time working on it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1 in 5 for tracers sounds about right for real world munitions, and if you still wanted to have the newbie training MG you could just fluff it that because it's a training weapon, all the rounds are tracer-coated or something to that effect.

I like the idea of the contract, and you put in plenty of work in writing one up, that's for sure. Having to scroll through and accept the contract to initiate the game the first time you fire it up is nice and immersive.

I also like the idea of having multiple Brigadors, each with their own backstory, cost, starting weapons and strengths, just because I like lots of options to play around with in my games. The two you showed look great so far and that first one's really got a "gently caress it, I've lost everything else already, why the hell not?" vibe going on.

If the game ends up allowing us to create new Brigadors with their own backstories and strengths/weapons I'm definitely going to photoshop-self-insert myself as a gruff, plasma-cannons-and-explosions-preferring veteran merc with face tattoos and a glowy cybernetic eye, fresh from the "urban pacification division" of some foreign mercenary legion.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Of course they still have makeup in a post apocalyptic scenario.
:colbert:

Why.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Michaellaneous posted:

Why.
They have spaceports and mechs and EULA's too, so I'm thinking it's not actually the post-apocalypse.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
@CitrusFrog -- re: adding yourself as a pilot... that's not a bad idea. I always paint my own portraits for playing infinity engine games, Legend of Grimrock etc. When I was a kid I even went so far as to record all my own vocal barks for my Baldur's Gate character. I'll talk to the programmers and see about keeping that option open.

@Michaellaneous -- first off, when you select these characters the big showdown hasn't happened yet. A few *plot things* happen and then everyone starts fighting for the city and everything goes to poo poo. The brigadors are people who decide to take the contract instead of staying loyal to whatever organization they were a part of. Fat Larry (or whatever his name ends up being) looks like poo poo because he got worked over prior to the events of the game. He takes the contract because he's got nothing to lose, and as such he'll be one of the starting pilots-- he's cheap to buy off.

Anyway, the full spectrum of brigador pilots will be pretty broad; one of the main reasons we're building them is to function as a player point of identification. Some people like to play as characters that are a bit dolled up, and that's cool-- we'll have a character for that. We'll also have plenty of characters that are atypical of what you normally see in gaming; normally it's the exclusive purview of the beautifully fit and the unspeakably ugly, whereas we're hoping to catch more of that middle ground with these pilots.

Yes we've thought about it and yes the aesthetics for these pilots are conscious decisions.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

anthony patch posted:

@CitrusFrog -- re: adding yourself as a pilot... that's not a bad idea. I always paint my own portraits for playing infinity engine games, Legend of Grimrock etc. When I was a kid I even went so far as to record all my own vocal barks for my Baldur's Gate character. I'll talk to the programmers and see about keeping that option open.

Woo! I'm glad my fantasising about self-insertion ( :pervert: ) caught your eye.

I like the "working for the man then poo poo goes south" idea you've got going on for the early plot there too. A few missions with all the cool toys money can buy just to whet the whistle is an excellent way of showing people exactly the kind of ridiculous dakka they can wield later.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Michaellaneous posted:

Why.

Look at this post. Look at it.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Devstream tonight @ 7:00pm CST on twitch

https://twitch.tv/stellarjockeys

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh well would you look at that. I hop online two minutes before you guys go live :D

and now twitch wants me to reset my loving password for some reason :fuckoff:

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2015

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
live now :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You know you have poo poo internet when you can't even watch a twitch broadcast :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

CitrusFrog posted:

You know you have poo poo internet when you can't even watch a twitch broadcast :(

I think it was the host. Mine kept freezing every few seconds, so it wasn't really watchable :(

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

kloa posted:

I think it was the host. Mine kept freezing every few seconds, so it wasn't really watchable :(

Yeah that's what it was doing to me. I also had to create a new twitch account because for some reason it wanted me to do a password reset, then never sent the email, then when I made the new account it never sent me a verification one. I'd be just as likely to blame twitch for the problem as the host.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Yeah it seems to be on my end guys-- doing my best to trouble shoot it. My main work computer is a y510p laptop and it's had some slow-down issues with playing games which might also be a factor for the streaming, because it's definitely not my internet speed; i've got 50mbps down, 10 up. Gonna work on getting that resolved one way or another so the stream is buttery smooth. Thanks for stopping in anyway.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Processing power and RAM will definitely impact your ability to do stuff as well as host a stream, yeah. What I saw looked great though I never did post anything in the chat.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Ok, from now on the stream should be buttery smooth. Took some outside help to diagnose it, but turns out the windows 8.1 video card bios for my laptop didn't handle SLI properly, and as such I've spent the last year basically running on one mediocre video card instead of the SLI configuration. I kept thinking it was a power or heat issue since i would get huge dips in performance both during streaming and during playing what shouldn't be very graphically intensive games... heat definitely was an issue, but it was because my computer was having to run a whole lot harder than it should have.

For anyone curious, if you've got a y510p Lenovo laptop bought before mid 2014, then you probably need to update to get the proper performance out of it.

What a bloody nightmare. But I just finished a 20 minute test stream and it didn't hiccup once, so should be all set. I'll post again once I know when I'll be streaming next, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

anthony patch posted:

Ok, from now on the stream should be buttery smooth. Took some outside help to diagnose it, but turns out the windows 8.1 video card bios for my laptop didn't handle SLI properly, and as such I've spent the last year basically running on one mediocre video card instead of the SLI configuration. I kept thinking it was a power or heat issue since i would get huge dips in performance both during streaming and during playing what shouldn't be very graphically intensive games... heat definitely was an issue, but it was because my computer was having to run a whole lot harder than it should have.

For anyone curious, if you've got a y510p Lenovo laptop bought before mid 2014, then you probably need to update to get the proper performance out of it.

What a bloody nightmare. But I just finished a 20 minute test stream and it didn't hiccup once, so should be all set. I'll post again once I know when I'll be streaming next, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

drat dude you spent a long time on that.

Also this is the second time you've been screwed by Windows 8 :yayclod:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are happy to hear you got it sorted :buddy:

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Thanks guys. In the last 24 hours also figured out that there was another issue that was accentuating the bad stream quality-- the switch my computer is plugged into (since we have 8+ computers in one room to build this drat game) apparently *starts dropping packets under heavy load*. Turns out it's a known issue.

So not a big deal for server uploading/downloading, which is why we didn't really notice it before, but it's death for anything live like streaming. I'm now plugged directly into the router to bypass this issue as well.

That being said, going live with a stream in half an hour-- I'll post again here when it's up:

https://twitch.tv/stellarjockeys

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Barring my rural Knox County 98KB/s DSL deciding it still can't handle Twitch, I'll pop in for a half hour before I have to take a phonecall :) I want to see more of this game in action.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
stream is live

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

anthony patch posted:

stream is live

I tried :( two seconds > buffer > two more seconds > buffer. I guess I'm stuck in the early 90s with the other lovely internet havers. Thanks Obama.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Stream is back up, we will both be online and chatting for this one, with the focus on anthony patch's work. Come say hi, ask questions, make suggestions, heckle his play throughs. It's a good time!

https://www.twitch.tv/stellarjockeys

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
stream is still going right now for any latecomers

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Time for some zbrushing pilot portraits, come hang out!

https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
http://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

Stream is back up for a bit-- more head sculpting

anthony patch fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 21, 2015

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
anthony patch outdid himself on a little preview for our revised optic camo effect (formerly silent running):

http://i.imgur.com/BxFT7K5.gifv

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

gauss posted:

anthony patch outdid himself on a little preview for our revised optic camo effect (formerly silent running):

Hahahahahaha holy gently caress proclick loving delivers

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So, this game just appeared on my radar out of absolutely nowhere as I saw this thread. Looking good, is the best estimate for a release date still 'Q2 2015'?

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Probably more like Q3 or Q4 tbh, I need to update our store pages.

It's one of those cases where we won't release until we're pretty happy with it, and even then there's plenty of stuff we had to cut that we'd like to add back in after release.

Check in on the stream sometime-- we'll show te game off properly.

anthony patch fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 21, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

gauss posted:

:pusheen:

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Time for more upsetting melty face imagery in Z-Brush. This time we'll be painting up the skin and all the fun parts, wrinkles and moles and eyebrows.

https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

http://www.twitch.tv/stellarjockeys

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Enjoyed the stream. Sorry I didn't make any comments, I was multitasking, but it was cool stuff. Definitely looking forward to this.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gonna need that Dave Launcher(tm) ready by launch.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this game looks fun, hurry up and release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Awesome, thanks guys. And I'll see about getting the Dave LauncherTM working by next stream.

• Locked thread