Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I currently work at a freight forwarding company, like FedEx/Ups/DHL etc. I work in Air Export and process shipments for customs when I was offered the job they asked how much I wanted. I was only making $12.50 at the time as a Supervisor at a shoe store, so I said $15 an hour thinking that they would talk me down a bit. Instead they came back the next day and put me at 15.10 an hour big whoop I know. So that made me think, "gently caress I could have gotten more. Well I worked the job for 6 months and there is wayyy more responsibility than I thought and the job is much harder than anticipated. I was struggling for cash as my savings account had just recently depleted (I just moved across the country and had a ton of money saved up.) So I begrudgingly went into my bosses office like a bitch and asked for a raise because I wasn't able to afford living out here anymore, unless I got a second job which I don't have time for since I work 12 hour days with no lunch. He asked how much I wanted again this time I said 18.00 an hour, they gave it to me no questions asked. Now I'm frustrated because while $18 an hour is much better its not worth the amount of work I do. I've looked on Glassdoor at salaries for my position and at $15 I'm already past the range listed.

Basically how do I find out what my job is worth short of asking the guy who had my position last what I should be getting? Is it ok to go in and just look my boss straight in the eye and have him shoot me straight? I know I'll be stuck at $18/hr for a while since it would be bad form to go in again and ask for another raise so soon but how do you handle this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Firstly, don't ask for raises based on your need, ask for it based on the responsibilities of the job and how much you're worth to the company. If you're doing much more than the position title implies, maybe check glassdoor for positions that have similar duties, not just whatever title you have.

My official position title on glassdoor has salaries that are about half of what I make, the only way I get raises is by proving my worth to the company.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

One of the most important rules of negotiating is try as hard as you can to not be the first to say a number. If you have to, start high, because you can't negotiate up from where you start.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Two helpful threads for you:

Asking for a raise http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583075

How to negotiate http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

LloydDobler posted:

One of the most important rules of negotiating is try as hard as you can to not be the first to say a number. If you have to, start high, because you can't negotiate up from where you start.

This is really important. My wife started a new job and during the interview spouted out some number that was more than she was making at her current job, but turned out to be way below the pay grade for the position she was going into. Luckily it's a very small company, and her supervisor badgered the president into giving her a 20% raise this year. Even after that she could probably be making another $10-20k. Do your research and then make them float an offer.

• Locked thread