Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Gotta get on the first page brahs.

Talked with some of the changes this morning with my roommate. Overall I doubt my marine list will need much changing. I may give up the pskyer phase but I doubt I need to worry all that much, I mean I can already beat seer and screamer star.

With the smash rules changes I might consider pods. Bringing in ven dreads would be pretty ballin now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Played my first game of 7th last night. My marines against some crons (immotech, 2 blocks of immortals, 2 fliers with immortals, 3 spiders, scarabs) that included a Transcendent C'Tan. We tried the mission cards. I wound up winning, having him mostly tabled (a spider and the C'Tan were all he had left). Because of some misplays I didn't have a ton left (3 airplanes, rhino with 5 marines, thunderfire) but I was certainly in control of the game towards the end. The cards were ok, it definitely made me play a bit weird but overall it was pretty fun. Super scoring harder to kill rhinos really helped with jumping around and grabbing objectives.

HiveCommander posted:

Competitive players in a lot of environments tend to be elitist dicks so they deserve the snippy, passive-aggressive comments more often than not.
I find playing against min-maxing, WAAC army lists used by someone with a bachelors in rules-lawyering incredibly tiresome. There's two sides to the coin, AbusePuppy, or are you just trying to live up to your username by hurling insults?

lovely casual scrub players cry when they get stomped by "cheap" armies/builds/units and are passive-aggressive little poo poo lords. It does cut both ways buddy.

serious gaylord posted:

I know how to play.

Knowing the rules and understanding how the game plays out are two different things.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Why do you have this pathological need to prove you're superior to anyone that doesn't play the game like you do?

I'm not trying to prove anything. I want a skilled community to play in. If the bottom level gets better we all get better.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

There you go again. Just because they don't run the latest metagame list doesn't mean they're the bottom of the barrel skill wise.

Fine. Not skill. Challenge. I've played lovely players with awesome lists, I've played awesome players with lovely lists. I want everyone to be awesome players with awesome lists. And if the bottom of the challenge barrel gets better we all get better, both in lists and in skill.

Because you need to have both to really be a good challenge and have the critical eye and the correct kind of ego to look at your list, see what doesn't work and make adjustments.

I think that's the problem I have with non-competitive players. Their ego gets hurt when adjustments to their list or play are suggested. The thing is this isn't D&D. This isn't a cooperative game. This is a game with a huge investment and there is going to be a winner and a loser at the end so why wouldn't you want to get better list or skill wise? It just makes no sense to me. I mean I sort of see the sunk cost fallacy, or an expectation to win because of the money spent but hey, I spent the same amount, and probably had to spend again to get models that I actually needed and not what I thought would work on the first pass. Sure it sucks I have crap in foam and boxes and shelves that don't get play but that's the nature of the game.

I remember walking though the Renegade Open taking photos of armies. I was near the bottom tables and I heard a couple players talking to each other. One asked the other how they are doing and the guy replied "Well, I'm having fun :smith:". The guy had not won a game and I could hear the defeat in his voice. And yeah, he may have been having a certain value of fun but I know, loving know that he would have been having objectively more fun if he won a game or three.

tl;dr: *beep boop* I don't understand the motivations of the majority of the gaming community. *beep boop*

Slimnoid posted:

Oh just gently caress already, you two. The sexual tension is getting ridiculous.

hey baby want to roll the dice ;-*

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 28, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Cataphract posted:

two pages in and that thread is already a clusterfuck

This surprises no one.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm not wasting money on a rulebook ever again. I may buy the starter set if it has new rules, otherwise I'll just ... you know. I have binders and they just priced the book so high that printer ink is cheaper (quite the feat, if you ask me).

Blah blah, take your :filez: talk to yourself.

twistedmentat posted:

Though I don't think too many armies can really go nuts with psykers; tyranids and eldar seem the ones to watch out for.

Eldar sort of. But it's actually demons by a mile.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Space Wolf and BA updated; BA doesn't have anything marked on magenta so I dunno if anything actually got changed, but Runic Weapons did. Now it's just +1 to Deny the Witch.

Psychic Cards got a PDF which just changes Banishment to WC1, to match the book.

Thanks bro.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

So what's the tournament scene like for 40k? Are there any cool tournament videos online? Any websites that help organize or keep track of tournament results? Is it mostly small groups of hams getting together and calling themselves a "tournament scene" or are there yearly events that gather grognards from all around to find out who is the best general in the grim dark future of the 41st millennium?

Seriously asking.

Frontlinegaming.org

Torrent of fire

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Fix posted:

Yeah, we literally pack up eight to twelve guys and go to the bar after game night every Tuesday and it's rad. Game clubs are great.

Word.

I've been kicking around some new lists now that I've been getting my head around 7th. I think GK MSU razorspam might be viable now that tanks can score, they help out with the casting pool, and you can share transports with battle bros.

First 1850 draft:

1x Coteaz
1x Xeno inquisitor, ML1, 2x servo skulls
6x 3xhenchmen, razorback, psyammo, assault cannon
3x rifledread, psyammo
1x Chapter master, 2+, Shield Eternal, fist
1x 10 man tac squad, flamer, combi flamer
1x stormtalon, skyhammer
1x stormraven, MM, lascannons

You get some air support, some late game tac marine scoring, a ton of good shooting, 14 Objective Secured units, a strong close combat monster who can hang out with Coteaz and the other inquisitor, servo skulls to push back dogs and bikes, and 12 dice in the pool before your D6 to shutdown seerstar and some summoning.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't hate the GK half of it, but the Psybacks should probably be Rhinos instead- those 75pt Razorbacks are pretty fragile and a Rhino with a Psyker on top casting Psychic Shriek out is gonna be as good or better against infantry units. I ran a Dreadknight with Heavy Incinerator for melee defense/cover-busting before, but maybe with Shriek that's not as needed? I still think the Dread is preferable over the Chapter Smasher in terms of countercharge units, though, there's just such a vast difference in price. Mindstrike Missiles off of the GK 'Raven are also probably better than the SM one these days, which frees up any real need to bring in the SM half of things- you could easily field something else instead. Purifiers in Rhinos would also be worth looking at- two Psycannons and Cleansing Flame out of the top hatch every turn is nothing to sneeze at.

GK is all about generating lots of warp charge and casting WC1 spells with 1-3 dice, I think. Combined with their innate psychic protections (Brotherhood, The Aegis) it makes them all but invulnerable to most offensive spells and gives them a fighting chance at breaking a important Blessing/Summon spell. Obviously they have problems with FMCs and Wave Serpents, but if you can address those I think you end up with some solid lists.

Bah. I only skimmed the FAQ. I was thinking the transports and dreads still had Fortitude. Then yeah Purifers and pskyers in rhinos with dreadknight and Stormraven support. I still think there should be some more AA in the equation but I'll have to do list building later.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Your poo poo will get better. Talk to someone. If the hotline or website don't work or seem dumb call a friend. If you can't reach out to your friends text or call me (PM incoming), I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet so you can say whatever you need to. If bad brain stuff continues consider getting medication. There is no shame in having some mental stuff that needs to be worked out. There is a stigma and there shouldn't be.

:sympathy:

:ninja: edit: I don't think you have PMs so I'm just going to toss my number out here for the day. Goons don't be assholes ok?

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

i do like pizza

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

LordAba posted:

Now I'm going to feel guilty when I skip you on my Pandora playlist. :(

I'm a 3 hour plane ride away from my models, clippers, etc, but I still did it. I bought a gorkanaut. I just hope I have enough room in my luggage!

Toss the box and travel with only the sprues/instructions. I buy stuff at our store from time to time when I'm on my bike and thats how I get crap into my backpack.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Power Player posted:

I think the complaints about Mob Rule are legit when it comes to Trukk boyz (especially when you combine it with the Ramshackle nerf, loss of S3 hits, and template weapons causing D6 autohits). Trukks should be like 20 points, not 30.

Trukks were a trap before, and they are a trap now.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

The trick was always target saturation--run like four trukks and watch only half make it and start causing real damage. Meanwhile, whatever other nasty poo poo you've got could keep pounding enemy lines.

4 trukks is target saturation? More like 8. I've played against a lot of trukk rush and I've never had a problem with them as several flavors of IG, GK, or SM over 5th and 6th editions. Wagons were and probably are still are way cooler.

Raphus C posted:

12 Boyz are a bad choice if you want to get much done. There should be a rule as there was in the third edn codex that gave Trukk Boyz a special rule for when their ride went boom. With ramshackle and s3 I found them worse than useless in 5th, 6th and the same looks to be true for 7th.You would need some serious rules fiddling to make 12 Boyz in a 10/10/10 transport anything other than a death trap.

This guy gets it. 12 boy squads was dumb when fearless stopped working at 3 casualties. 12 boys is now dumb because you will have to take probably two mob rule checks every time a trukk gets wrecked. Greentide or wagons was and will still be the way dudes.

Also the flamer rule isn't all that bad. If your tank is getting flamed that means it isn't blown up yet and your opponent will probably have to assault it to break it open. I'd rather take the d3 hits or whatever instead of being clumped up and losing 6 dudes.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 1, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

raverrn posted:

WS & BS 5, IWND, 3++ and is a character. The ability to challenge is pretty drat huge, I think its worth the points.

So you can buy the warlord knight from when you could take them as a primary? Yawn.

CyberLord XP posted:

Wait can it still AOE stomp if it's challenged? I don't know how knights work.

Yeah, but the non "removed from play" hits hit the challenger...and I was beaten to this. :orks:Abuse Puppy!:orks:

I played my foam warhound titan last night (with IG support). I lost 5 guardsmen and had the guy tabled on turn 3. S:D pie plates are still pretty good.

e: speaking of Abuse Puppy, do you have pics of your void shield generator? I'll probably want to make one if I keep rolling with the warhound.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Pics or it didn't happen (or just show pics of your foam titan).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Where are the pics of the foam titan? Wanna see dat.

I posted it last page.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636853&perpage=40#post431969878

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Sir Teabag posted:

Wait, what? This sounds like a glorious clusterfuck.
Any more details?

No one in my area plays with Knights (yet), so I have to play them vicariously through the interwebs.

The thing is depending on the Tau list advancing could have been a pretty bad idea. Fusion guns and tank hunting plasma will mess up knights but both of those are short range. It's almost better to stand back for a couple of rounds and let your battle/melta cannons do work.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Cataphract posted:

I was always a fan of the Tzeentch cube daemon army

That is a stupidly good idea. If I ever played demons (imperium 4 lyfe) I'd do that for my Tzeentch stuff.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Played against a super repairing Stompa with some pain boy biker support last night with my rhino rush/imp knight/stormtalons list. The Stompa has guns like woah but it had to spend a ton of time shooting my rhinos and little 5 man squads while my knight and chapter master dismantled the biker squads and airplanes mowed down the Gretchen that walked on the board. Game was truly over when my 1HP knight charged the Stompa, put a few hullpoints into it, got explodedon the stompa's swings back, scattered onto the stompa and did 11 hullpoints to the thing in the explosion, which caused the stompa to blow and clear out the dudes my chapter master was caught up with on turn 4. Turn 5 I shoot with hovering airplanes and charge whatever was left in the stompa (some gretchen and lootas with his big mek) with the chapter master for the table.

Stompas are pretty rad and I'm thankful I had the knight to ace it out. I don't know if the repairing trick is the way to go since I think it probably needs more support. Painboy in bike squads was a pretty cool idea. Pretty hard to double them out with shooting unless you have a manticore or something.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I wasn't expecting a competitive review of a super repairing stompa to be so positive. So even against a solid list it wasn't utter jank?

Did it use a KFF mek for repairs and a shield + the riggers for IWND?

It had the KFF and some meks via lootas, some gretchen inside (just hidden scoring basically). I don't think it had IWND. He said he had a ton of repair rerolls though ~something~ and at least one of his rolls was looking for a 3+. Honestly it was so durable that I knew going after it would be a waste unless I could one shot it so I just played it like any other deathstar, kill the support and stand on objectives. It's shooting is super dangerous though and if I felt I had a chance at killing it over the game I would have been tempted to try to burn it down instead of blowing though the support.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Does anyone, by chance, have any pintle-mounted heavy stubber bits they're not using? I'm short a few sets.

dem rivets

And I have at least two on sprue (and probably like 10+ on sprues that I don't want to dig though). PM me.

Esser-Z posted:

Ethereals

I really dig Ethereals with firewarriors. Super cheap, helps hold that gun line, and gives them more bullets to wreck face with and sometimes stubborn if you need to tie up something with bodies.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ahahaha wtf GW. 135 points for 8-10 s7 AP2 attacks on the charge with reroll to wound and mastercrafted. Murderfang indeed.

It's a walking dread. *yawn*

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

AbusePuppy posted:

CSM has a reasonably-strong list that a lot of people aren't prepared to deal with because this is shooting edition, not melee edition. Essentially it's formed from a Librarian or Chaos Lord (the former for Telepathy shenanigans, the latter for Juggernaut + Blinding Axe), three units of Chaos Spawn (one unmarked for the Lord if he's in, otherwise all Nurgle), and three Maulerfiends (Whips and Cutters both are fine, depending on what you expect.) Troops are either big blobs of Cultists or CSM in transports trying to back up the main assault line; allies are extremely helpful, giving you either a 4th Spawn/Maulerfiend from Crimson Slaughter/Black Legion or some utility/staying power from Chaos Daemons. I know a couple people who have run this sort of list and while it's not the strongest possible thing, it's absurdly fast and it's quite possible for you to just be all over the enemy's line on turn 2 and ruining their day.

We have a guy running something sort of like that. The thing is Imp Knights (and wraithknights to a lesser extent) absolutely poo poo all over it.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But now I've gone from being known as the guy who was notoriously bad at hams to the guy who's a "hypercompetitive shitbag." Not that I mind.

Hypercompetitive shitbags unite. :frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

e: I'm going to a Feast of Blades invitational soon. My plan is to make people remember that air is part of the game and say gently caress you my planes are scoring.

Iron Hands (1500)
1x King poo poo of punch mountain
2x scouts
3x stormtalon
1x stormraven
2x thunderfires
1x thermal cannon knight

I throw 4 hard to kill things on the table and wait for the airforce while dropping pie plates. If you want to come close, fine. I have two poo poo kickers who want to punch/chainsaw/stomp you into dust. Turn 5 happens and I throw everything into hover, grab the objectives and win. Bonus points that two games are kill point heavy so having 10 total kill points is going to feel real good compared to the 19 of the rhino rush.

I'm pretty excited for the rest of my team. So far we have seerstar, a 3x knight/stormtrooper list, a 4x knight list, a corndog rush backed by marine air, CSM/AM nurgle biomancy demonprince rush, and a 9 oblit gunline.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

AbusePuppy posted:

Keep in mind that you have to measure from the hull, not the flight stand (even when in Hover mode), so unless your airplane is doing a bank, is built exceptionally low to the ground, or the objective is on top of some terrain, you probably won't make it within 3" of it.

Good luck, tho- I'd like to go to FoB at some point, but it's really not close enough to me to make it an easy option.

This I'll have to check later but I'm pretty sure you can measure from the base if it's acting like a skimmer. I know the BAO/LVO issued a FAQ going the other way back in 6th for Big Guns and The Scouring but even then I felt ruling was technically incorrect.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So I need to paint about 10 cultists, both biker(warhorse) Hq and all 4 oblits before the 25th but what do you competitive guys think? For Nova incase it was not obvious...

Abbusepuppy Naramyth, Pacheebo etc.

Can Crimson Slaughter guys take two relics? If not my lord can swap Horns for a 4++.

For that matter do you think I should take CS warlord traits? I think there is a Rage one, so maybe I should grab the invulnerable anyway instead?

I know I said I expect to do poorly but if possible I want to do the best I can. And apparently this should be better than straight demons.

I agree with AbusePuppy, way unfocused, squishy targets mixed with heavy but not super heavy targets, I like nurgle oblits more then Tzeentch. If I were to do CSM/Demons it would be something like 9 oblits, 2+ lord on bike with spawns and screemerstar since you can pull 4 heralds now in an allied detachment OR 9 oblits and flying bio nurgle demon princes.

And I guess I've been cheating like a motherfucker with the scoring fliers. It only really effects game 2 of the invitational but it does shake my faith in my marine air list.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 8, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Either way here is a list of everything daemon that I have. (Asterisk means what needs (re)painting)

I will probably just take a smattering of Loc/1disc Herald, Horrors/Daemonettes, Hounds/Screamers and Grinder/DP. Hounds really lost a lot for me since I can't deploy my Aegis at the halfway mark anymore and they can't charge first game turn if they scout. People still think they are wroth it though, and they call them a tarpit but with Instability I just don't see how.

Invisible (via Belakor) dog bus carrying heralds will pretty much wreck anything on the ground that isn't an imp knight. My roommate has been playing around with it and it's pretty strong. If you used CSM to help with the knight problem I can totally see it working out. If you go second against a :gonk: gunline having them deep strike (with instrument heralds with your troop selections to get more attempts to make the block come on) then invisibility has worked pretty well for him as well.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

So, been thinking about feat of blades and that airplanes can't score. Kill points being game one means I still want to play big denial. So I'm thinking of running azblob now that priests are loving crazy.

1500 ig/da
Az
5 scouts
2x executioners tank commander
50man blob 5x axes and melta bombs
2x vendetta
Pcs 4xflamers
Special weapons team 3x flamer
Priest

Blob and tanks start on the table and steamroll forward. Airplanes drop flamers for last minute objective grabs. Av14 sucks to shoot though and the blob protects them against melee rushes and pods. The priest lets the blob get harder to kill and allows reroll hits on the first round of combat which makes the blob way killey-er. Pretty strait forward but I think it should be alright and I think it will super well on kill points and well enough on objectives and quarters.

The tank commander I'm not super sold on and am considering manticores/wavyrens but that opens up easier targets.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

GK release is looking to be the laziest by far.

The new Sisters of Battle, bro.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

you use the dice you've accumulated over years of whatever

In my dice pouch I have dice from literally 20 different Chessex sets of 36 dice. I have purchased two.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Defilers are still over costed crap and I'd argue that they're still unusable because they suffer from the standard GW unit problem of trying to do too many things

Word. Soulgrinders are so much better at what they are trying to do.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SRM posted:

It's not the Hive Tyrant who is the monster here

PTM is my 'nid hero. :3:

I wish there was a cute 'nid emote.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

The renegade gt in Minneapolis this fall has put out their faq. It states that a weapons firing arc applies to vertical as well as horizontal.

This essentially means that hull mounted weapons in flyers have a minimum range when shooting at infantry. For vendettas, this is about 19 inches for their lascannons. It also means that Helldrakes can't fire at anything smaller than a monstrous creature because 12 inches out it's still 4 inches up.

I think this is a terrible ruling. Any one else seen someone try to argue this?

It was the same ruling as last year. :geno:

BTW my team is totes going again. Too bad it's at Fantasy Flight. The venue last year was way cooler.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Glad to hear you're going. I'd love to get a game in against you, even if it's not as part of the tourney. Fantasy flight is great for me since it's fifteen minutes from home.

Goon meet up! You can find out exactly how much of a fucker I am off the forums. :getin:

We are going to the Feast of Blades invitational that is hosted there at the end of the month. The tourney isn't until Sunday so I could totally get a game in with you on Saturday (assuming I'm not in food coma from the fair. :v:)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Sadly, I work weekends. Working late Saturday. Using vacation time for Renegade.

Edit: unless it's the 30th. I'm off at six that day and could make that work.

It is the 30th! I'll PM you my contact info. Nothing is set in stone yet for Saturday other then we are going to be there but my lady friend probably isn't coming now so my Saturday is much more open, especially if the team goes to the fair early.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

LordAba posted:

Oh noes they took away the no brainer S8 autocannons?

Honestly what do you think got worse? Share, darnit!

3 S8 autocannon platforms and S7 psycannons/asscannons for days were pretty much all GK had going for them. Same-y S7 short range shooting isn't super hot, especially on fragile razorback platforms. Hull points, the loss of Fortitude on the tanks, and just being 20 point marines was pretty hard on GK and the new book is only going to make them worse.

Although I am pretty pumped for cheap dreadknights for a laugh. Maybe with double force org you can pull in enough support to make them not terrible.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Greyish Orange posted:

So I'm going to paint my old GW miniatures in this style

How could I adapt the paint scheme to a Razorback? Mainly purple/blue with yellow doors and accents?

All purple with armor banding and top hatch yellow.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Boon posted:

Goddamnit. I got real drunk last night and at some point ordered a Lynx from Forgeworld. So now that's happening. :ohdear:

In other news I won a 1,500 point tournament yesterday! Took down the guys that placed 3rd and 4th to get there as well.

Trip report! What did you play, what were the missions and what did you play against?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

dont stop now :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

The Sisko posted:

Frontline has much more consistent friendly service , does great work even at their lowest price point, and the guys there contribute alot to the community in general. I have had them do a couple of things here and there for my brothers army and I have never had a problem with them. If I were to suggest someone for commision work it would be them.

Nthing Frontline. Also one of our locals paints for them. My roommate has had some stuff done by BT. It looks fine but our local guy is better.

• Locked thread