Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

SRM posted:

Also this thread has no pictures of anyone's models so I'll just dump a few:

And to think, I said when I started this (terrible) hobby that I'd never, under any circumstances, paint Eldar :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

SRM posted:

Also Sykic, your Eldar are lovely. I'd put gloss on the black visors and that's literally the only criticism I have for them.

Thanks. I keep telling myself to do that but I have this nightmare scenario stuck in my head where it'll all frost up and ruin the model :downs:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

I have a feeling the jink changes were a response to how all around awesome scatter serpents were.

*hides behind part of a ruin, has a holo-field, has 3+ cover*

So much for that.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Yes you can. The flamer hits the vehicle and inflicts D6 hits on the unit inside now...

Good thing there isn't a piece of terrain that gives all nearby flamer weapons the Torrent rule or anything.

Oh.

Welp.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Morkanaut pic:

e: possible new MANz in the pic too.

Not a super-heavy walker, looking forward to immobilising/exploding it in the first turn.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

The most shocking thing about all of this is that Australia actually gets it cheaper than the UK.

I think I need to sit down.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

It looks more ridiculous than I imagined it would. Still, that's 40K for you!

Back to 7th chat, they changed what powers a GK vehicle knows? What the gently caress? No more Fortitude?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

JerryLee posted:

All of that looks very nice but the cream on the helmet deserves a special mention for how you hit it out of the park :)

It's just a screaming skull basecoat with seraphim sepia shading and white scar highlight. I cheated and used an airbrush :ssh:.

Post 9-11 User posted:

ME WANT HONEYCOMB THUNDERHAMMER! He looks more like a Sergeant than a Smashter Master but it's a beautiful model. I :h: purple, and regarding your belief that it looks ridiculous it's actually quite tame and reasonable for a 40k model.

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

You might well find that to be true, they are pretty notorious for being poo poo at filling orders. I know they hosed Rapey Joe around, and I think there have been other goons screwed too.

I'm firmly in the "gently caress Total Wargamer" camp after they hosed me about with several orders a while back. I'd say Dark Sphere (if they still deliver GW stuff) and Element Games are solid choices.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

And then the Dark Eldar went and stole said prototype for their Reavers :argh:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Did GW stop selling the starter paint set while I wasn't looking? The one with 8 paints, 5 Dark Angel marines, and a brush.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Ever buy a kit knowing full well you'll never use it, ever, because it's complete garbage? I sure did!

On the other hand it'll look good on a shelf, and I always told myself I'd paint a Dreadnought so I can cross that one off the list. The question is why the hell did I magnetise the arms on a display piece?

One day I'll figure out what to write on all the scrolls. :effort:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

that purple is loving swag-a-licious.

Post 9-11 User posted:

gently caress drat, that's a good looking paintjob.

DJ Dizzy posted:

that ballsout amazing paintjob

You guys :3:. My only regret is that I went with the giant power fist thing and then, after it was finished, realised I should have used a blood talon instead. Anyone complaining about WYSIWYG can shove it :colbert:

DJ Dizzy, do you have any close up macro shots of those models? I admire anyone who has the balls to paint white.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Dumb question, I'm considering taking a crack at Armies on Parade and I've been wondering, how the hell do you transport the 2x2 board? I can't exactly fit that in, well, anything.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

When did people start thinking Maulerfiends are good? I was under the impression most people hated them. I've yet to see one actually cause any damage and an immobilised Maulerfiend being all "Guys? I'm relevant! Honest!" in the middle of the table is a remarkably common sight around here. Is it a 7th thing?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I'll break up the trend of Kroms with a Librarian I knocked together then.

I really don't like how the wrist came out, at all. It looks a bit like he's got a tumour growing there. Should I just replace it with a bolt pistol?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

Look at the DV librarian as an example.

I'd completely forgotten that guy existed, and in a similar pose too. I might just go with a bolt pistol after all so I don't end up with two Librarians mirroring each other. My attempts at making the wrist less awful weren't exactly working anyway :(

Zog me, it's bootiful.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

OK, Librarian take 2. After a fair few attempts, several cries of "for gently caress's sake", and one incident of gluing my thumb to my index finger I just gave up and went for the boring option :(. I really liked the Dr Doom idea too.

I like it better than the tumour wrist at least, even if it's yet another marine pointing a pistol at someone/thing.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

It's from the GK Strike Squad kit. Seemed like a good choice for psyker bits.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Regarding Eldar, can we all at least agree that the new Fire Prism design is terrible compared to the old one?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

One of the first Eldar models I ever saw was the old Fire Prism so maybe I'm just biased because of it, but the new one is just weird looking, like the cannon is twice as long as it needs to be. If I had the patience and talent I'd see what it looks like without the bit between the two crystals.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I had the opportunity to meet the new manager of the GW store here. He doesn't know how to play any of the games, nor does he know anything about the fluff. :stonklol:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

He seems like a decent enough bloke at least, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the trainwreck when he has to run an intro game for a new player.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

UK. I won't pretend to know how manager training goes at GW, but I do know that he starts in a week and only knows the very basics of 40K. They seem to have hired him based on sales experience rather than knowledge of the hobby, which isn't really a surprise anymore.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Quoting myself because blue Eldar are the best Eldar.

I'd say so long as you make them bright, it's hard to do Eldar wrong.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

zeal posted:

What's the accepted wisdom on Shining Spears as a unit? My Autarch is kitted out as one and he's frankly terrifying on the charge. Are they as good as I want to believe they are, or is that just wishful thinking?

You're paying a lot of points per model for a single S6 AP3 shot at 6" and two S6 AP3 attacks on the charge. Remember, if you don't kill what you're charging in that turn, you're now attacking with a single S3 AP- hit because of the Impact rule.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

To my surprise I ended up getting a freebie Space Wolves badge with an order I placed last week. I'm pretty sure GW giving something away for free is a sign of the apocalypse. It was nice knowing you all :ohdear:.

Is this a new thing? I don't usually order direct from them.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

SRM posted:

When they opened the new webstore you got a free captain for spending $100. You also got a voucher to buy a second, different one for $30 so I guess what I'm trying to say is that GW giveth and GW taketh away.

Apparently a £3 order for some flying bases gets you this instead.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

:hfive:

Sometimes I toy with the idea of going back to Chaos and finishing my army off, and then I remember all the trims I'd have to paint. Never again.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

SRM posted:

That's model by model and would be completely bonkers for 40k.

40K? Bonkers? I'm not seeing a problem here :colbert:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

The problem with using drop pods is building drop pods. gently caress drop pods.

Drop pods.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I made a "Jetseer"!

...sort of. I just really hate Eldar jetbikes. I'm not entirely happy with the result, should have made the guns shorter and in general it just feels incomplete somehow, but I'll take it over the alternatives.

Now watch as no-one lets me use it because it's not actually a farseer on a jetbike. :negative:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My only quibble would be that those are very clearly Shuriken Cannons. He's so giant now that you're at a disadvantage due to Line of Sight.

I considered Shuriken Catapults but they ended up looking really, really tiny. As for line of sight, I think I'm boned either way because things like "blocking line of sight" have become less popular around here. Ruins built entirely out of windows as far as the eye can see, and everyone's a crack shot who can guide a missile through a 1mm gap. God forbid assault units catch a break these days, right?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I'm totally going to buy Space Hulk just to spite the ebay sellers because it's small enough to set up on the kitchen table instead of taking up an entire room like 40K would.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Moola posted:

Agreed, it's just a fun word to say tbh. Mega! Bolters! MEGABOLTERS!

Turbolasers vs Megabolters, who would win??

Goku, obviously! The only time I've ever seen a mega-bolter on the table was when someone brought a Stormlord to a game and used it to fire on a tactical squad. 30 shots and he managed to kill 4 of them. :flaccid:

Question: A model is behind, not in, a ruin. What's its cover save? People around here can't decide if it's 4+ ot 5+.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Space Hulk has sold out on the UK website.

Oh god it's the void shield generator all over again. Why won't you let me give you my money, GW? :orks:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I was seeing ebay listings going up on Saturday for £200+, nothing's changed.

Except that the GW store here has seven of them coming in and I got one :toot:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Finally got around to starting my Armies on Parade board, turns out goddamn cake trays work wonders as a solid, cheap, and lightweight base for it, who'd have thought?

Is the winner required to go to Games Day at all? Or can I enter without the risk of having to waste a day or two down the line?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Winner has to be able to go to 'Warhammer Fest'

Isn't that just Games Day by a different name? Uuuuugh. All I want is to take a crack at this and see if I win anything, without any extra baggage thrown in if I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I've just been told that Armies on Parade is now a store-only event, no nationals. While that's perfectly fine for me as I didn't want to go to them anyway, it's a bit disappointing (if not entirely unexpected) that they're cutting down. I guess there's no money to be made in event days.

• Locked thread