Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Considering on getting this, but one of the earlier beta weekends ran very poorly on my 'puter. Others complained about performance issues back then as well, and the answer seemed to be "it's a beta, there's beta stuff running on the background, it'll run better on release".

Does it? Has anyone noticed any improved performance?

EDIT: Oh hey, someone already asked this on the last page and got some answers that seemed very positive. Guess I'm buying it then. Whoop!

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Anyone have any idea about class roles in the endgame - can you conceivably heal as a spellslinger or tank as a stalker in raids and whatever-veteran-elite dungeons there are, or are those just sub-par builds for easy 5-man stuff if you can't get a "proper" medic / warrior? (Reminds me of playing a druid in vanilla WoW, because hey, bears can tank! Yeah, that didn't happen.)

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Aside from the problems obviously caused by the release rush the game still seems to run as badly as it did in the beta for me. My rig isn't the most beefed up one (Asus G75 with GeForce GTX 670M), but it sure has played a bunch of much prettier games with no issues - I had to put on the downsampling option to keep FPS above 30 here. Now it's mostly around 50-60, but dips occasionally and looks like rear end.

It's quite playable like this, but if anyone knows any tips (besides the "update drivers" + "turn everything low"), I'm all ears! Fun fact, turning texture quality from low to high didn't seem to do squat to FPS one way or the other. Might be wrong, but it seems it's the particle effects (campfires, dudes welding things etc) that are causing the framerate to screetch to a halt for some reason.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

WarLocke posted:

In fact I'm kind of impressed at how it seems like (so far at least) there's really no way to 'miss' things or lock yourself out of completing something. As long as you keep plugging away at SOMETHING you can eventually get that zone completion number to 100%, and this makes my inner achievement babby happy.

There are some missable things; at least the Exile starting zone had a "Get hit by falling snow"-achievement, and there's a quest to turn off a tower causing the blizzard in the area. I turned the blizzard off and noticed the achievement after that; can't get it anymore, since I don't get the avalanches anymore.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Does anyone know of a way to get the launcher to download the 32bit version? I have some performance problems, and I read that at least in the beta the 32bit version of the game ran a ton better for some people. Back then the game was supposed to download it if you ran the launcher in XP compatibility mode, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there another way?

I've tried running the game in DX9, have updated my drivers, lowered all settings etc. but especially particle effects (fire, smoke, some hologram stuff etc) absolutely ruin my FPS. If I look at an open field I might get 50+ fps, but add some hologram stuff or other particle-y things and it tanks to ~30. This is with rubbish graphics settings (they hardly seem to affect anything); the FPS constantly bouncing up and down makes the visuals seem very disjointed.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 4, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Oh, wonderful; I'm having a small LAN-party-sorta-thing with a friend, planning on nerding out horribly with Wildstar, except my account got just suspended for a week. No reason given. I'm pretty drat sure I haven't done anything to violate the TOS in any way. A support ticket is pending but with the release rush I don't expect them to get to it in a few days. Guess we'll have to find something else to play. Blah.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

ijyt posted:

Were you using SweetFX or something similar?

Nope, I wasn't even using any addons besides the default ones the game ships with.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Anoia posted:

Did you give out your friend codes on SA? If someone who used your code violates TOS, it blows back on you.

Nope, haven't used my friend codes yet. I'm fairly sure this is a bug on their end, since I don't seem to be the only one hit: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2728q1/account_suspended_for_7_days_without_notice_or/

Kind of lovely.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Martman posted:

I still remember when Age of Conan launched and I'd find "good" gear with a special ability along the lines of "On hit, 1% chance to increase Attack Power by 1% for 4 seconds" or some ridiculous poo poo. Most of the effects I've seen on gear in Wildstar have at least seemed basically interesting even if they're not all great.

Well, at least items have procs and other properties here. I was bored to tears by FFXIVs itemization - it was all stats, no item in the entire game had a proc or anything remotely fun going for them.

In other news, account still "suspended" for no reason. Got a message earlier that my support ticket has been "escalated", whatever that means, and that someone will be in touch. Heard nothing.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Still heard nothing about why my account has been suspended or when / if I can even have the drat thing back. I'm starting to see why NCSoft has a terrible reputation..

Bashez posted:

Reading posts like this is always crazy to me.

With the limited amount of abilities it's pretty easy to rebind strafe to A and D (you should never ever ever ever keyboard turn, so those are the first buttons you should rebind) and using Q, E, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 depending on your dexterity gets you most of the way there.

I find the number buttons very difficult when I have to move simultaneously with ability use - in WoW and other less movement-centric MMOs it was fine, but here it's a finger-bending nightmare. Binding the first three slots to my mouse's thumb buttons (G700, has four buttons for the thumb - run toggle + 1,2,3 attack slots), 4, 5 and 6 to Q, E, T improved my game tremendously.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 8, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Aphrodite posted:

About when remembering your drat mount choice does.

Or when support actually does anything for the tickets you've submitted. :v:

Still can't log in but at least I got a cool stock response, so yay!

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
gently caress's sake, still "suspended" for no reason, still no responses from support. Others have praised their response times here; is there some trick to this I'm missing? I made a ticket, got the stock responses, then it fell silent. Some people seem to have gotten Carbine's attention in Wildstar's Reddit thread, so I made a post there, nothing.

Frustrating to only be able to play for a couple of days after the server clusterfuck of launch and then immediately get hit by a random banhammer & get no responses from their end.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

CrashCat posted:

Ahahaha I wouldn't praise the support ticket response time in the slightest. If you manage to get two responses out of them in a day you're extremely lucky and one a day is sometimes a challenge. Make sure you update the ticket every time they respond so it goes back into the queue until they get someone who can actually read.

An answer a day sounds like a pipedream at this point - my ticket's been open since saturday morning and there's been a total of one post from Carbine. That one post said that "someone will be in contact with me as soon as possible", which at this point seems to mean "maybe during the next week, or not".

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

CrashCat posted:

:laffo:

Oh well, make sure you're adding a reply every day to express your sentiment on the ticket anyway. Somehow I doubt you ever get a refund or even a resolution though. NCSoft support is renowned for being garbage.

Finally got a response:

"I have reviewed the details of this incident. After careful consideration of the information available to us, including your appeal, I am confident in the decision to suspend the account. I understand your position on this topic, but we feel that the Real Money Trader violation was severe enough to merit the suspension it received.

You are welcome to submit additional questions, however, we do not want to give you the impression that anything you say or do will reverse or alter the decision to suspend your account. Your account will be available after the suspension has ended. Any additional appeals or inquiries regarding the action taken on the account will receive this same response."

I haven't done any real money trading of any kind. I have no interest in playing an MMO where I can be banned for absolutely nothing out of the blue, so guess that's it for me.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

CrashCat posted:

Wow, what a bag of dicks. They won't even tell you what evidence they found. What a giant load of garbage. Worst part is you will never get any sympathy from the players since they just assume all the banned folks deserve it. :bang:

Yeah, I made some follow-up questions about what exactly did I trade with real money - my account had ~10 gold when I last logged out, so I must have been the shittiest real money trader ever - but I'd wager none of those will get answered.

PaganGoatPants posted:

:wtc: They won't even give you a screenshot?

No screenshot, nothing. This is the first time I even heard the probation was ABOUT real money trading. I have no clue if I've supposedly been buying gold or selling it.

Darth Windu posted:

If you really didn't do any real money trading, perhaps your account was hacked. I'm pretty sure they're not specifically targeting you for some sort of persecution.

Might be; should have gotten the authenticator first thing, but hindsight is what it is. The game seems to send you a confirmation email every time you log in from a different IP though, and my mailbox hasn't gotten any of those (mail has a different password than the game, so brute forcing one wouldn't help) - do they have some way around that?

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 10, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Only other option would be to post to Reddit since they are very active there, or tweet them. This is assuming you care enough though. I know you're not the only one who has been banned out of nowhere.

Already made a post to Wildstar's Reddit page, but doesn't seem like it got noticed, or they're sticking to their guns. http://redd.it/27q7h1

First real lovely customer service mess I've ever run into, guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Oh well.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

WastedJoker posted:

And why do I get a headache after playing this game?

Some people get nausea and / or headaches when playing games with very narrow fields of vision - Wildstar has 50 degree FOV by default, I think. There's an addon to increase it, give that a shot. Poor FPS might cause it as well, so if you're playing at <50fps or so, try turning vsync off, lowering settings, deleting beta addons if you were in it, etc, the usual.

Evil_Greven posted:

Did you change your email?
There were other 'got banned/suspended' posts on the forums as well.

Nope, haven't changed my email.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

BadLlama posted:

It sucks to get suspended when you didn't do anything but chances are high that your account got hacked and sent gold spam emails. The best way for them to stop that is to suspend the accounts until proper security is enabled on them. The only thing they are doing wrong is not giving you the option to change your passwords and add 2-step authentication in order to get your suspension lifted.

If it's that, I can live with it - lovely, but it happens - but I'm confused about how they can get around the email login confirmations (haven't gotten any of those). IMO they should have at least told me that's the case, though; I still don't know. I have a feeling it's just a misfire but I guess I'll see when the account unlocks, if I've been hacked my char should be stripped naked with all gear sold, right?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

BQuietNDrive posted:

The short version is, assuming you did nothing, you were likely hacked. They mentioned a contact to resolve it, but that guy wasn't having luck either.

It's also worth mentioning that they implied even jokingly submitting a fake gold selling website to a chat channel will flag your account.

Never done the latter, but how does the first one actually work with the IP check that sends you a confirmation email? Is that system really that easy to bypass? I haven't received any emails, my mailbox uses a different password than the game and I'm fairly certain the hacker isn't in the house either (at least I hope he isn't).

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
About the account closure drama I mentioned previously - I got an email that specified that my character had apparently been spouting real money ads, and the account was changed from suspended to closed. Checked my email's recent activity - tons of login attempts from China and Taiwan. Strange thing is that none of these got through, but apparently I was still hacked somehow without even getting the "Unlock a new IP"-alarms.

Made another ticket, actually got a response from Carbine - said they're looking into it and I'll maybe probably sorta get the account back at some point. Then I got the same "Hello! I've escalated your ticket, someone will be in contact with you as soon as possible!"-response I got previously.. Oh well, hope whoever it was escalated (what does that even mean?) to does something other than deem me guilty right off the bat this time.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Commissar Budgie posted:

3. Ostensibly, performance has improved greatly since the closed beta. I haven't had a chance to try it on my desktop yet though.

Not for me; for me performance has been the same as it was in beta (which is to say, pretty bad). By turning VSync off and turning settings to rubbish I can get 40-60fps, which I'm fine with - personally I don't mind muddy textures etc. much, but low FPS irks me horribly. Your mileage may vary.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Well dang. Tried the level 20 instances for the first time, and I thought, hey - it's the first instance in the game, it's probably fine to go in and tank it in DPS gear & a half-assed tank spec (warrior here). It wasn't, got my arse handed to me so very badly.

Kind of refreshing to see a game that doesn't pull it's punches (at least not so much). Or maybe I'm just bad. Oh well; made a proper tank itemset (why on earth doesn't the default client have a system for switching gearsets?!) and a slightly less half-assed spec, will see if it goes better tomorrow.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 14, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Awww yiiss, just got quite possibly the best bed in the game - note the camera & TV-set:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

First Bass posted:

What the gently caress? Are you playing from the L1 Earth-Moon Lagrange Point?

Yeah; the 56k modem I used to play Ultima Online back in the stone age had better ping than 1500ms. Those are some fairly impressive numbers. :stare:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Though honestly if there's one evil person in the whole Exiles faction, it's Avra Darkos. That bitch don't give no fucks. I'd be willing to bet that all the bad poo poo the Mordesh do leads straight back to her.

Well, yeah, she's a member of the evil angsty undead race(tm) with "dark" in her name. The writing here isn't exactly the game's strong suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Doublestep posted:

Have you actually played this game? The number of healers/tanks is insane. I get faster queues as a dps than a healer for nearly all group content.

What kind of a bizarro-server do you play on? In Hazak at least I get 20-30 minute queue times as DPS, ~5-10 seconds as a tank.

EDIT: Wait, queues are cross-server, aren't they? Makes it even more bizarre.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 12, 2014

• Locked thread