Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I guess I liked Spellslinger least, but that's probably because I barely played it. :v:

As far as other classes go:

Warrior: Fun to play but felt weak. They lack burst damage early on but from looking at their skills I'd say that damage options really open up for them from 30 onwards.

Engineer: Clunky but powerful. The bots really need to do a better job of keeping up with the player, they tend to get lost, stuck or just fall behind. With the bots the Engineer is both super durable and does really good damage. They were the only class that could take on prime mobs reliably.

Esper: Not nearly as mobile as other classes, hits like a truck. The finishers just hit really hard and are also AoE. They seem to have a ton of CC and such in the utility tree and they will probably be terrors in pvp later on in spite of their low mobility.

Medic: My #2 class. Very mobile, medium to close range class with tons of AoE. Just a lot of fun to play because of all of the different shaped AoEs and the constant movement to fit as many enemies or allies into your AoEs as possible, a very active class.

Stalker: My favorite class. Loads and loads of burst damage, many strategic options open up as you play them and realize how their skills mesh together. Stealth is a lot of fun and probably makes them one of the most survivable classes in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Psykmoe posted:

Once I got Bioshell and the Volatility Rising AMP, Engineer didn't feel that slow to me, since Bioshell both adds tech vulnerability and produces just enough volatility to get bonus Volatility from the AMP, so I could immediately bust out a reasonably long Electrocute with bonus damage. I also ended up switching to Flak Cannon for my builder instead of Pulse Blast, I like the channeled nature and receiving Volatility in ticks throughout. If I have to Dash while casting Pulse Blast I get no damage and no resources, which was sort of annoying. At least If I have to interrupt the Flak with a Dash I still did and get something. Not sure how practical that is as dps in an instance since Flak produces extra aggro.

Bioshell's telegraph behavior takes some getting used to though, since the shell doesn't reach the end of the telegraph if it hits enemies before that and explodes there. No big deal, just haven't had an ability that works that way before.

But do you ever get a volatility spender that's as good/better than Electrocute? I only played engineer to 20 or so and Electrocute does kick a lot of rear end, I'm just curious.

Especially the Bruiser Bot AI needs to be more reliable though.

Maybe it's because Electrocute has no cooldown but it felt weird to me that despite both generating a degrading resource with their basic attack, Warrior and Engineer pacing felt pretty different to me.

Of the classes I tried (Warrior, Engineer, Spellslinger) I definitely preferred Engineer for taking on tough foe solo, thanks to bots and the great damage output of Exo-suit powered Electrocute.

You should try Energy Auger plus Bio Shell with Volatility Rising, with those you pretty much never have to use the builders. As far as other volatility spenders I have heard good things about Bolt Caster, it hits in a small column in front of you so it's easy to have every bolt hit one target and if all of them do it hits very, very hard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

lets burn posted:

Which race has the most attractive females? The robots?

They put the rear end in chassis :gizz:

Popular opinion is probably the Aurin. :unsmigghh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

For the telegraph attacks, does the attack hit as soon as you have the telegraph on something, or when the actual attack comes out? EX: I know the sword throwing move for esper has a bit of start up, does it hit as soon as you let go of the button for the telegraph, or when the actual projectiles connect?

At the end, you will notice that the telegraph fills up, it is a hit if you are still touching the telegraph area when it fills.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Famine posted:

whops, doublepost

Is there a way to still get a beta / ops week cd-key? or can I login with any old NCsoft account?

*edit* what I mean is can I participate in ops week if I did not play beta / dont have a beta key? I was able to login to my ncsoft account on the wildstar page, and when I went to the wildstar forums it asked me for a forum nickname, but I can't create topics or reply to topics on their forums

Nope! But all of us who pre-ordered get like two 7-day friend passes so you can try it out from the 31st or later.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

I finally had a chance to play for a little bit having not had a chance to before. At first I was a little weary of the action combat however from what little I played I got a Secret World vibe off of the combat. Which is a plus for me. I am sure later on the telegraphs get a little more tricky.

A little? :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

OK thanks guys. PvE for me!

I'm pretty sure only the pvp guild will have enough people to do raids, so keep that in mind.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Masonity posted:

http://wildstargoons.com/index.php?threads/a-very-important-poll.32/

66% are going US PVP.

Some of the other 34% are probably Eurogoons voting no. And we're (almost) all going PVP too, just a European PVP server.

Yup, the pve guild is gonna be tiny and will have to merge with a pubby guild or something if they want to do anything larger than 5-man content. Too bad. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

flipoff posted:

Nobody is trying to debate pve vs pvp, just cut out the loving "oh forget those pve nubs nobody is going to play there, pvp is where the cool kids are at :c00l:" whenever anyone says they don't want to play on a pvp server.

I'm just warning people that if they play with the PvE guild they will probably not have enough people to do raid content. Hell, I'd rather play PvE because I don't want to be harassed by every idiot on the server while doing the inevitable daily quests, but I also want to raid and the PvE guild looks like it will just be way too small to support that. I'll just have to deal with the ganking and camping whether I like it or not. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I assume Wildstar is DX11, and the mumble overlay doesn't work with DX11 apps, only DX9.

IIRC it can run in both DX9 and DX11.

EFB :argh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tupper posted:

Really? Huh. Maybe I'll stick with Engi on headstart and just see how it goes. I felt like Stalker was a lot more potent during beta but maybe i was just a poo poo engineer in PvP.

Stalkers get a lot of their tools fairly early on, but level off pretty quickly. Engineers bloom later but are pretty drat strong once they do. I'm probably gonna roll warrior instead of stalker for similar reasons.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Also did they ever fix tank abilities being pointless because even with the threat modifiers they still generated less threat than regular assault abilities?

Yes, a while back. Though threat is not like WoW where it's pretty much impossible for DPSers to out pace the tank's aggro, so DPSers will still need to hold back a bit.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Stalker claws are at least floaty lasery gemstoney claws (sometimes I guess), which is cool and I have no problem with it, but Warrior swords just kinda look like JRPG weapons. If they were laser swords, or Gears-of-War-style chainsaw blades, or a katana handle that shoots bullets that loop around in a blade-shaped arc I'd give it a miss, but that's just lazy. :colbert:

I fully endorse these aspects of the class.

There are chainsaw style swords.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pound_Coin posted:

more jpg artifacts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

Is there any way to try this game out before the launch?

No, but you can try it after launch because everyone who pre-ordered is getting two 7-day guest passes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I said come in! posted:

God, whatever server FranBunny is playing on I hope we can drive him off this game.

How can you want to drive away such a wonderful source of entertainment?!?

Though seriously, I can feel the loving abyss staring back at me when I read that poo poo. :wtc:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Guys, can we stop posting pictures of creepy internet people? It's pretty creepy too!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nearly 10 minutes have passed and I can't log in...

This is the 9/11 of our times, these Carbine terrorists must be brought to justice. :argh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

I got in! Draken warrior dominion pago

:cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

-Inu- posted:

CRB_Gaffer [score hidden] 4 minutes ago
Appears to be DDOS attack - under investigation/working on doing network ninjitsu to cure.
Sorry for interruption working on it!
This is real time info, so may change.

drat, they found us out!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cold Sprunk posted:

GoonSquad Dominion guild switched to Warbringer last night if you are looking for them

Wow, really? We are moving servers already and to some dumb backwater that will probably have to be merged in a few months time? Lame.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

wtfmoses posted:

So basically what you are saying is we should all just waste the weekend in queues for no reason? To maybe play into your speculation?

Ehhh, I have exactly no faith that any pvp server other than pergo will end up as anything other than a backwater. What can I say? It's what all my past experiences playing these games tells me. :shrug:

I just hope they have server transfers up and running before things get dire, hopefully for free. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

wtfmoses posted:

Ugh don't be dumb.

How is trusting my past experiences dumb?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ok, talking about servers on the off site forums is apparently a probateable offense, don't talk about it unless you want to get banned/probated. wtfmoses, if people talk about this what are the consequences? I think it's best to be up front about this so people know what they can and can't talk about publicly without repercussions and what will get you probated or banned or whatever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

panda clue posted:

this game will be free to play in a week

So what you're saying is that :siren:Wildstar is the true WoW killer!:siren: ?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

Well, that certainly took long for the no clothes costumes to show up.

And "official" launch day isn't even here :catstare:

That is the collectors edition costume, so yeah you're actually going to see people wearing it :siren:SHOCKER!:siren:

Also timg is your friend dumbfucks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

Wait so, the collector's edition costume is barely nude with metal garments? Uh... Ok.

Various abandoned Eldan facilities on Nexus are making clones of everything nearby and cyborging them with Eldan tech. The devs took the same stuff the clones wear and made it into the collector's edition costume. Always struck me as a little lazy but meh, whatever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

parara posted:

If I make someone my roommate for my housing plot, I know they can add and remove poo poo while I'm around since I've seen it happen. Can they also do that if I'm offline? aka can I charter my friend as my gardener while I sleep

Yes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kuai posted:

Did they fix any of the performance issues since beta? Game ran terribly for me for some reason.

Most people report the game running about 2x to 4x as fast as in beta, but it really depends on your system. Some people still get really bad performance and the devs said back in beta that it might take anywhere from three to six months after release to get all the optimization done. Still, for most people the game runs fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pound_Coin posted:

Day2 of head start, wildstar.exe still completely refuses to run, I've redownloaded it from the account page over 20 times, I try to run it as admin it says it cant find the file or I dont have access despite being the ONLY account on this machine, so I make a new user with admin perms and log into that, i go to the wildstar site and IE refuses to even download the loving file. I install chrome on the new user, try again I manage to get the file, still wont run, I right click on it an open properties, hit unblock on security, check perms, eveything. I dropped to command line and tried to run the exe from there, "Access is denied"

I played through the beta fine, now the launcher installer wont even open :smith:

Like mrbass21 said, that sounds like something seriously wrong. Like something is hosed in your permissions or registry or you have some nasty malware. You might want to go post in the SA tech support forums because this does not sound like a wildstar thing so much as an issue with your windows config that effects wildstar in particular.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

So I asked this in the old thread, but is this game fun enough to excuse the attempts at "humor" that seem to pervade every bit of promotional material they release? I mean, those hamster folks look PRETTY Wahahacky! And some edgy dick jokes too, man! I enjoyed GW2 a lot, WoW not so much, if that helps.

If you don't have a sense of humor I don't think this is the game for you. :shobon:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PederP posted:

They just tweeted:

As someone who spent the better part of a decade coding in the game development trenches, I know what that means. Poor sods.

But it does indicate that their QA process is lacking. Of course there can be differences between a test and a live environment, but this looks like a coding boo-boo where either the world server has a crashbug or the anti-afk code is being weird. Both usually things that should get caught in a regression test. But to be fair they were probably struggling to get everything ready for release, so they might have released a server build that wasn't fully QA'ed.

lol regression testing wats dat*? :downs:

*I have run into devs who did not bother with anything but the most basic testing, like they ran the code and checked if it CTDed on startup and then sent it to production if it didn't. :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

More guest passes:

CDWN95W3IA7KEMII8SQ7
CDWO2HLZ00TXW2AFBSZ5
CDWOGB30D5M6F4OFT00Y

Quote, I cross off, yada, yada, yada, you get the idea.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 4, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nakar posted:

Apparently, yes. Not sure where the contested zones start though.

Level 20-ish, iirc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Apple2o posted:

I just wasn't sure if there were even PvP or PvE servers at all. Some of my fondest videogaming moments come from random PvP encounters in vanilla/BC WoW so if this game can recreate that I would probably grab it. Are there just huge contested zones where I would be free to roam around getting into fights?

Yes, past level 20 or so.

Apple2o posted:

I assume this means there are flying mounts or something.

No.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Why is there no Tank/Healer/DPS class, argh. :argh:

Is Medic going to be a travesty to level solo/play as DPS in groups when another healer is present, or does it actually work?

Medics are fine, every class does more than enough damage for solo play and small group stuff. If any issues crop up it will probably be in heroics or raids. Plus every class is supposed to be viable as end game DPS so if there are major issues it will get looked into.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Alasuojus posted:

I just really wish the game would run better on my PC. My rig is a few years old but meets the recommended specs with Phenom II x4 965, radeon 6870, 8 Gb of memory and SSD but I only get 20-30 frames per second. It's not unplayable but it is annoying. Changing graphics settings from the lowest to medium/high makes no difference. If I crank everything up to max I get around 15 fps.

I hate to say it but the problem is the PhenomII x4 965. Wildstar, like most mmos, is heavily CPU bound, so an i5 processor like the 4670k would probably increase your frame rates by 50% to 100%. The problem is that upgrading to an intel platform from an amd one means a mobo upgrade too, so you're looking at $300+ to do all of that. You would see a significant performance increase in pretty much everything though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SlayVus posted:

So can someone explan to me how in Galaxy meter I can be 2nd in damage while being 3rd in DPS? Like I can do 10-15K more damage than the 2nd top DPSer, but my DPS is listed like 100 lower than them and I'll still be listed as second in Player Damage Done.

Medic FTW?!

You had more uptime, they did damage faster during their smaller uptime.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ularg posted:

I'm loving this game so far. I have some problems though with ridiculous names that are hard to remember or even think of as important. Something during the Dominion tutorial area about the historically important characters of the faction and I don't even know or remember their names or what they did.

But my biggest problem is the UI is loving abhorrent. I am overwhelmed and confused by all of the UI elements popping onto the screen, having giant X's on them and such. I try to make changes to my UI like adding a non transparent background to the chat and moving my own character's unitframe but it never saves between play sessions.

Sometimes things don't even save within the same session, seriously %#!$ the profanity fil- *turns profanity filter off AGAIN* As I was saying, gently caress the profanity filter. I tried setting wildstar to run as an administrator but that didn't help either, so I'm pretty sure it's not even bothering to try to save settings half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I... I really do not like this game. At all.

I haven't followed any of the hype, so it's possible I'm missing HUGE quality of life things that would change the game for me. But my level 12 impression is that the game is a complete mess; a slapdash collection of a bunch of mini-games sorted of haphazardly stuck together. Nothing works quite right, and bugs are rampant. The problem I'm having, though, is that the behavior I'm seeing could be either bugs OR failure to understand what I'm supposed to do - so far I'm about 50/50 on both, and that in and of itself is frustrating. I'm making this post in the hopes I'm just missing something and someone can help me out here.

The graphics and 1990-style omg so random monkey cheese pirate lol! writing are terrible, but that's just, like, my opinion, man. I don't like those things, but, whatever. I don't play these games for the story.

As for things I can (maybe? possibly?) change:

1. Running. Oh for gently caress's sake. Run run runrunrun everywhere. I've been playing for three hours and my finger hurts from holding down the mouse button. The "sprint" ability is annoying as gently caress; it lasts five seconds (I timed it) and then recharges. Why is this a separate ability? Why is there not just a general runspeed increase? How can I move faster? I probably spend the majority of my time moving from place to place, bored.

2. Quest tracking. This seems marginal at best. Quests are sort of kind of maybe tracked, and the little number icons (like a "2" in a circle) are usually in the wrong place. It doesn't seem to handle area quests well at all (as in, search this area for items).

3. Quest understanding. I have several quests where they introduce a new mechanic, but they don't explain it. For example, I had to use an item to play hot-or-cold to find a thing. Now that I know that's what was going on, I'm fine, but drat if it didn't take me several minutes of frustrated fumbling. To make matters worse, my character (Esper) is weak as poo poo, so I'm continually trying to evade fights as I'm failing whatever quest I'm on. Right now, I'm playing the game "bug or feature" with another quest where I'm supposed to use a wacky-named THING on some monsters. I don't have this THING anywhere in my inventory. Pressing T does nothing. There is no icon next to the quest. What am I doing wrong, or is it a bug? No idea. Quest text is _terrible_.

4. Challenges. Same as above. Many of them introduce some strange mechanic and so you're guaranteed failing the first time. This is just my frustration, though, since again I'm playing a weak character so killquests are awful.

5. Explosion of lovely quests. Solve one quest, get three more. This is the rate at which my quest log is exploding. And since they aren't tracked well, they're hard to understand, and often too difficult for my class, this is frustrating as hell.

Any advice? What am I doing wrong that everyone else seems to be having a goddamn blast playing this game? Is this just an issue of it-sucks-until-20 or whatever other arbitrary funcap level? Am I missing some better quest tracking?

I don't think the game is for you, it sounds like you don't like it on a pretty fundamental level. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread