Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Mello Yello posted:

I really like the idea of Steer but I'm worried that the while thing is just too buggy so I'm scared to try it... plus I'm pretty used to holding mouse buttons for movement. Does it really make the game feel different?

I'm probably going to be the only person that thinks Steer is disadvantageous. It's nice and all, since you don't have to hold RMB so much, but it also kind of removes your ability to do camera-look without turning your character (LMB). When I'm playing I'm constantly switching between LMB and RMB to keep an eye on my surroundings, and having turning be automatic with camera movement would be kind of off-putting for that.

Additionally, you end up having trouble with the admittedly few skills that require clicking on the ground to place a zone, and you have to work around that.

If for some reason you can't stand to hold RMB for extended periods of time, which is understandable by all means, Steer is great, but I think anyone that can handle holding RMB should for the inherent additional camera control it offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

flipoff posted:

Anyone who played a medic much in beta, did you also use steer or was it more trouble than it's worth? I liked steer when I was playing spellslinger, but I could see it getting awkward when using all of the medics aoe abilities. Is there a way to make it worthwhile or should I just not bother with it?

I made a post about this before, but I honestly think that Steer should only be for people that outright have physical problems with holding RMB, because as convenient as it is to use Steer, you're always going to have to work around everything else for the same functionality.

Using Steer and casting your zone abilities should drop them down immediately underneath you, which is workable but not optimal, especially when it comes to using Barrier. The fortunate thing is, if you're playing a DPS Medic, their zone skill Nullifier is only particularly relevant until you pick up other abilities to fill up your bar, as its damage per second is quite low. The unfortunate thing is that Field Probes has incredibly utility and dropping it right under you will not get the most out of it.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6kqa_Rh28

Found this posted on reddit. The guy was mad about how the Medic wouldn't die.

He is basically the shittiest Spellslinger I have ever seen. God drat.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

dreffen posted:

I guess! I don't know. I tried it and it seemed off for me. If it helps people get into the game though, that's great!

And sometimes that's enough (staying alive that is). Tunnel vision and all that. I hope that guy lost that BG. :v:

He probably did. At the beginning of the video, a moodie mask was unearthed and he was on the loving bridge. Instead of going for the objective, he chased down the guy that was retreating anyway. He probably would have been the first on the Mask otherwise.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Here's a thing I did while spergin' over craft numbers to try and figure out patterns in rarity tiers.

20 Insight. Hot drat.

I think it's a little bit silly to be disappointed when to date one of the better games to have pulled off the whole "NPCs having their own schedule" thing was Majora's Mask, which even then was just so incredibly elaborately scripted that it caused memory issues and also the game only had four dungeons lol.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 25, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I started working on a spreadsheet to show values of Weaponsmith crafting based on if you use a Green power core or a Blue power core. This teaser has been the result of a good 4 hours of gathering data to figure out how it all works.

My question: To you guys who probably didn't even realise crafting existed let alone how it works, can you figure out what you're getting from crafting items with this current iteration? Is it visually pleasing? Am I a loving :spergin: that needs to die?

note: my numbers are slightly wrong due to rounding issues, please don't try and refute it, I'm aware :)

e2: I fixed my numbers and added a slight thing - weapon classes highlighted in red means that I doubt Jabbithole's information on their numbers, because of how they don't fit in succession numerically.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 25, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

Why are you putting a green attribute chip into a red circuit? It's more power efficient to match the colors.

Uh, because Grit is a great stat?

Duh.

Also, it wouldn't have affected my failure rate (I checked) when all I was doing was pumping Insight. It was just meant to be a demonstration of what you can do with Weaponsmith.

edit: oh I didn't see you talk about the health chips but I've totally never loving seen those chips so I presume they're in the Apprentice or up tier of crafting, which were disabled for the purpose of the recent Ops week. Yes, I am frustrated, because this means I have terribly incomplete data.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

Esper innate is actually pretty good since its giving you free interrupt armor, and you can dodge roll during the self root. Its absurdly good if your a healer trying to keep yourself alive.

Or you can right-click the buff on the bar and save one of your dodges.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
some thoughts on Crafting I talked about on IRC for anyone interested:

[20:25:57] <Khaba> So Katten, if I'm assuming not collaborating with anyone, what combination makes sense and would also most likely be underserved?

[20:26:59] <Katten> I'd have to think on it a little bit, but Tech/Relic Hunter is very likely, because you can make consumables and power cores which are important for most other crafts too, so you can stock the hell up and never have to go back.
[20:27:28] <Crono> does tech have to use anything it can't get on its own? Just some of the mining gems right
[20:27:37] <Katten> Yes.
[20:27:50] <Katten> The only thing Tech needs outside of Relic Hunter are Gems from Mining.
[20:28:36] <Katten> So I think if you're planning on working on your own and know you're going to be making some form of gear eventually, what you want to do is Tech / Relic Hunter, stock up on Relic Hunter stuff, switch it to Mining, stock up on Power Cores and anything else you want, then not look back for a long time.

[20:29:35] <Katten> I mean it's completely feasible and even technically "faster" to ignore crafting while questing
[20:29:57] <Katten> But if you're not planning on just no-lifing straight up the level ladder, crafting is a good break that has huge benefits
[20:30:00] <Katten> Even if only temporarily.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
yes it's undergoing renovations AGAIN for some reason idk ask moses he's trying to part the red auth

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

wtfmoses posted:

Complain about services rendered for your prize.

as much as I sound like a bitch I really am grateful for the forum service you're helping provided which hopefully I make clear by how aghast I am that I can't continue working on my Weaponsmith thread until Wednesday.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
In all honesty, Medics might actually be overtuned. They're getting weapon power as if they were a Light armour class, but they get to wear Medium armour. I actually have reason to believe that their skills are tuned to be similar to the Stalker, but get more power as a result of having weapons tuned like SS/Esper.

It's kind of weird.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Minsky posted:

I'm set on Medic because I like the playstyle, but the official boards for them are full of end-game complaints about DPS Medics parsing lowest on meters on most fights and healing Medics having focus problems because, unlike Espers, the big Medic heals that require a secondary resource still also eat up focus.

Not exactly. They eat up focus only in the sense that something around 60% of your healing cast is building/spending Actuators, but that's because everything else has a CD.

Of course you're going to kill your focus if you spam skills with no cooldown. There's no reason this shouldn't be a thing. You need to balance your usage of builder/spenders as well as cooldown skills to minimize Focus cost over time without over-healing.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

Isn't NC Soft a Korean based company that makes grindtastic games like that vomit covered poo poo heap Lineage?

NCSoft is a Publisher. They Publish games, meaning they handle a lot of stuff dealing with marketing, support, and etc..

They don't make the games themselves, but they are in a position to demand the game developers fulfill certain things, especially if player retention is an issue.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Good job guys, we made it eight pages without this discussion occurring.

We're improving!

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
If there's anything I've learned the past few weeks, it's that goons can't read.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
You mean some people don't just put the Mumble window on their second monitor so they can just see who is talking that way?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Listen my second monitor is reserved for my 24/7 midget poop sex stream, I can't be covering up that poo poo with mumble.

God it needs to be Saturday already.

That's just silly, that's what your third monitor is for.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
WIP:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zVENrQvN_0Li6hrU7Kbxycdp75Io3mW6ekLaO0yeuLE/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet is going to detail the stats of crafted Weaponsmith gear based on its rarity (Vendor Power Cores are green - Technologist-crafted Power Cores are blue) for the purpose of reference and comparison with quest gear. So far as I've seen, crafted weapons of similar level and rarity are distinctly better than quest weapons, plus you have more control, plus you get to upgrade sooner.

Still to be done: Add Attachments for Journeyman+, finalize ratios on odd weapon sets, and otherwise prepare for plugging in tons of numbers when the game goes live.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
http://tankingnexus.wordpress.com/tank-comparison-guide/

Yet another Tank guide.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
His name reminds me of the Tokay from Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, which means he's probably a pretty cool dude.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Cougar said yesterday on Nexus Report that aside from games with megaservers, their servers can handle way more people at once than most mmo servers do, so maybe they can avoid this. They also have character transfers in the queue, and though it wasn't quite done yet, it is apparently coming.

launch is still going to be messy :laffo:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Orias and Ascendancy are up.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

How big is the install size?

My Program Files folder is 17.1 GBs.

Of course, thanks to the magic of compression, you don't even download that. Probably more like 9-10 GB downloaded.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Bah, think I'm going to go Settler or Scientist after all. Explorer feels like anything but - hey, follow this predetermined waypoint to activate a linear set of predetermined platforms that you can only jump in a single predetermined manner. EXPLORATION.

It's all pretty predetermined. Paths are just meant to supplement that which you were already going to do - in my case, as an avid Explorer person, I was going to jump all over loving everything anyway, piss all over people that haven't mastered MMO parkour like I have, make dumb Lion King references as I gaze out over the cliffside, camera angled towards the rising sun.

Now I just get rewards for doing it sometimes.

If that's not your thing, then you probably already knew that beforehand.

(This isn't entirely directed at you, I'm just getting a little butt-fragile over the amount of times people have been like OH NO PATHS AREN'T AS COOL AS I THOUGHT)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

loquacius posted:

I'm torn on Explorer. On the one hand, you really do get to find all the little secret places on the maps, which is great, but you also have to spend a nontrivial amount of time playing figure-out-which-identical-parts-of-this-giant-slope-are-too-steep-for-you-to-climb, which is something I've hated pathologically since I played Oblivion.

Actually, in most cases, it's just you missing the obvious path up that is usually marked by random wooden planks strewn around. Sometimes there's an interactable object that makes magic rock platforms appear for you to use.

It's even better when you find these things after coming down from where you were and realising that you weren't supposed to get up the way you did, and feeling a mixture of pride but also frustration.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The renown thing shouldn't work anymore.

To whoever mentioned about the leveling speed, poopsocker-tier leveling 1-50 takes about 25 hours, and is done entirely with questing and nothing else.

v: they have been for a while, and still are working on it

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 28, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

realms list, suck all the dicks, tia

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Doublestep posted:

Oh great. 5 bucks says multiple goons roll on Pago because reading is hard.

Just tell everyone Preggo, the one with the e and the r, because we're making Chua babies to kill all Exiles :getin:

Jfizzoid posted:

Thanks cat on an apple for the awesome tradeskills writeup in the OP.

I was one of the big goon architects in SWG and had fun making stuff for goon housing, so I really wanted to go Architect at launch. It looks like it might be pretty annoying due to the mats spread though. Has anyone tried architect out in beta? Any fun?

Guess it comes down to how much demand there will be for housing items.

Thanks! I've actually done a couple more write-ups on the off-site forum, one with a little bit more detail about the Tradeskill dependencies, and another one for reference with Weaponsmith.

Personally I think Architect is going to be the Tradeskill with the most longevity. At least up to the Journeyman tier, Tradeskills are pretty easy to level up (you're generally looking at around 100 of the relevant primary Mining/Survivalist/Relic Hunter resource per tier i.e. 100 Iron Chunks will probably get you from Novice to Apprentice Weaponsmith). Weaponsmith is going to be pretty important at first because Crafted Weapons are the best aside from super rare Dungeon stuff. The Armour Tradeskills will be important later as more people near cap, because that will be the best armour you can get outside of Raid gear and maybe some of the later Vet. Dungeons you do for Attunements. As we progress past that point, they start to become less and less relevant to the economy.

Architect, however: people will always want vanity items, especially considering the amount of cool stuff you can do with housing. A lot of stuff you make easily in Architect are otherwise super rare drops, if they aren't unique to Tradeskills to begin with.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I think Widow would be good if we don't want dumb goons that can't read to go to Ragu.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So my brother has convinced me that this is gonna be awesome. I'm hoping to go full-on healer Medic, since it's usually my favorite MMO role. Will that make leveling solo an exercise in mind-shattering tedium or what? I mean I can go DPS and respec at level cap, but how will all that blood wash off my robo-hands?

Also, is the standard "pick a crafting skill that can craft something you can use, pick a gathering skill that can collect mats for your crafting skill" optimal?

I'm authed on the forums and I've been reading threads and stuff, but not being in the beta makes me feel kind of behind.

All the way up to Level 50, the only thing that really matters separating you from being a Healer role or a DPS role is your weapon. Just keep one of each type on-hand and you'll be absolutely fine. At Level 15, you get a second AMP system, so you can use all of your AMPs for DPS at first without issue.

Since you're authed on the off-site, read this thread, which should answer most of your questions about the crafting thing. If you want more in-depth information, or have other questions, about pretty much anything Tradeskills, either post in that thread or ding me (Katten) on irc.synirc.net #wildstar and I'll get back to you pretty quickly.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

Can you fish in this game

Fishing. Cannon.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Warb0ss posted:

How critical is your choice in Paths? I've watched the dev video. Is one much more profitable, or have access to better loot than another? How prone is Settler to PvP issues?

Not critical at all.

Seriously, Paths are meant to be a supplement to things that you would already do. They have no real tangible benefits outside of specifically for things that you would have done anyway if you chose your path honestly.

Basically, think about the four playstyles they offer and decide on the one that you were going to do the most of regardless, and regard it as nothing but occasional vanity rewards for doing what you would have done anyway.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Iron Tusk posted:

That kind of sums up why they pulled it. I think the official reason was "not very fun". So maybe if it comes back it will be interesting.

They put it up on their Facebook page, so I'd expect that kind of response. But at the same time, it's still somewhat typical of factional MMO launches post Warhammer.

Somehow I doubt that in the true cosmic scale, Exile PvE matches up perfectly to Dominion PvP. Literally, every time one gains a vote, the other gains a vote.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

flipoff posted:

That pretty much confirms my doubts on them, think I'll start as spellslinger.

To play Devil's Advocate, if you're a good Medic, you should do absolutely fine. Bad players will die, yes, but it's not really any different than any other classes. Bad players will just die sometimes. An example that Ad by Khad gave was about your tank rolling out your Crisis Waves to dodge telegraphs is kind of true, but this also can be prevented in multiple ways:

1) Not casting your Crisis Wave or other "oh poo poo" heals during moments where movement is key.
- Nothing you can do will ever make up for someone with lovely movement. If you want to get to the level of raiding or high-tier PvP, then someone that has poor movement is a bad player, whether it's a tank, or a DPS. Trying to heal someone through a telegraph when they were fully capable of dodging it will only put more stress on you and, in general, lead you to running out of Focus before the encounter ends.

2) Casting your Crisis Wave during these moments, but with the expectation of having to adjust.
- Players are usually pretty predictable with where they move with standard PvE telegraphs, if they're dodging them appropriately. If you stagger your cast appropriately, with the time it takes to charge up Crisis Wave, you have two options to adjust: Follow the tank, which is easy through a dodge roll, or cancel your cast with either Esc / a Dodge Roll to save the Actuators, then begin casting it again.

3) Medics are the only class to have shield heals. At least two of them are near-instant casts. I'm not sure about Shield Surge, but I think it's a quick cast too, making it a lot more reliable to land your heals. The reason why this works is that Medics give an additional 25-50% shield deflection rating, meaning that less damage hits the HP bar. Proper rotations of shield heals and HP heals will give you plenty of time to react to anything.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Isn't that part of the PvP server challenge?

It's kind of like the cinnamon challenge. See how many Aurin you can eat before you throw up.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Those are some good perks. Glad they're being proactive about account security.

You enter the code by pressing a digital keypad that has its numbers jumbled... that sure is a thing.

And, if I'm reading this correctly, every time you log into WildStar, you have to have your smart phone with you.

:psyduck:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

You can handwave it by saying people who don't dodge telegraphs are bad players, but no 40+ man raiding guild in history (including top-end guilds like FoH, DnT, etc) has managed to avoid having deadweight. You (yes you, Pergo goons) are going to have bad players in your 40-mans. You are going to have bad players in your 5-mans, at least occasionally. Even if you make sure to only group with superstars and never touch the group finder, your deadweight raiders still need attunements from 5s. If your response is just a flat-out "I don't heal avoidable telegraphs, get better you bad player", you're going to run into trouble sometimes. You need those ping pong balls to kill the boss.

It's entirely possible that medic healing will click with you and you'll like it and it'll work out fine. But it's very much a different style and it relies on your group being willing to work with your T-rex arm limitation. When I'm healing, I don't want crippling limitations.

I actually wasn't trying to handwave it or anything! I'm of the firm belief that, as a support role, if someone I'm supposed to be supporting dies, then it's never just their fault. I will always take at least part of the blame. I will heal through avoidable telegraphs - as in my second point, you have tools to adjust, or you could just think like a tank and expect what they'll do, which is pretty easy with any degree of synergy. You can also cancel out of using Crisis Wave, so if you're going to miss, you can still save your Actuators, which was the main thing you brought up, "being out of chi".

I was just attempting to provide a counter-experience where, as a Medic, you aren't really powerless, it just requires thinking about the situation differently as you would if you had a targeted heal. :)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

straw man posted:

What are the core healing spells for the Esper once you get into the mid teens-20s? I don't really know at all how that class plays.

Mind over Body if you can be stationary, Soothe if you can't or need splash healing. Soothe feels a bit like a more narrow Medic heal, if you would, but it has "tiers" of charge - you can cast Soothe instantly for minimal healing and no PP, wait 2.5s for medium healing and 1 PP, or like 5s for max healing and 2 PP.

Your main spenders are the surprise party one, which is kind of like Flash from the Medic except pretty strong if you cast it with 5 PP, and Mending Banner, which I never got to play around with.

edit: basically it stays the same from Level 12 and on, as far as core healing goes. Sort of like with Medic how you're never not going to be doing Emission/Crisis Wave most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

Regarding the thing earlier - how Armor calculations resemble League of Legends - here's the scoop:

Armor counts for your basic damage resistance to every damage type - Physical, Magic, and Technology. Tanks usually get a stance that modifies it with a flat + or - to resistances from whatever the base was. Which wouldn't be a good idea without a League of Legends-like formula.

Armor is usually what determines those secondary attributes (other than a buff/debuff/ability/AMP modifying them). With higher Armor, you have higher Resistance - so you take less damage. The thing is... there's a scaling base, determined by level, which means that you have to keep getting higher and higher Armor as you level to avoid losing Resistance. I don't have a continuous representative sample, but I do have a good spread (tested characters: 16, 18, 20, 24, 26, 32).

League of Legends' formula is pretty simple: %Damage Taken = 100 / 100 + Armor. With 200 armor, you take 1/3rd damage from attacks. WildStar appears to work the same way, except the '100' changes based on level. So, for WildStar, it's: %Damage Taken = lvlAdjMod / lvlAdjMod + Armor. To get the resistances, you just subtract that from 100%.

The inaccuracy is on what lvlAdjMod is. It seems to be roughly (268 - (0.3875 * level) ) * level. At 16 it's ~261.8, but at 32 it's ~255.6... it could be due to a base armor modifier added to the level multiplied value, but running some guesstimates of that is inconclusive. Testing the same armor at all tested ranges yielded similar results, as did other armor numbers (within .0009)... so it should be fairly accurate.

Hey cool someone being a nerd about numbers like I was

I don't know if it will help you at all, but I created a spreadsheet that automatically calculates the power spread of Weaponsmith weapons with just the input of the combined total of assault/support power from the white tier base. This is relevant since the rarity (Good (Green) / Excellent (Blue)) of the weapon has a direct effect on the power. I first thought it was a % that had diminishing returns on a level basis, but that turned out to be way off. Weapon rarity actually just has a flat bonus modification to base total power based on weapon type and weapon tier, i.e. novice(10-14)/apprentice(15-24)/journeyman(25-34)/artisan(35-44)/expert(45-50). I don't yet have the numbers for all of them yet, but the formula for weapon power based on rarity turns out to be:

(Base Power) + (Rarity Mod) * (Power Spread Mod [normally a ratio of 3:2])

I'm too sleep deprived but if you can't figure it out I'd love to try and help you get more precise with your formula. I think, given the rarity modifier formula, it will end up being very simple, though!

• Locked thread