Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SweetBro posted:

Parents dead. Can't drink away the pain. 'MURICA!

A legal guardian could do the same, and in general someone else's parents are entitled to authorize the drinking as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Nintendo Kid posted:

A legal guardian could do the same, and in general someone else's parents are entitled to authorize the drinking as well.

Last time I checked 18+ don't get assigned legal guardians.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SweetBro posted:

Last time I checked 18+ don't get assigned legal guardians.

I'm sure all 4 people in the country in this particular situation are deeply hurt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yes, op. In fact, it should be lowered to 13.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Why should someone over the age of 18, a legal adult, have to get parental permission for anything?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

Why should someone over the age of 18, a legal adult, have to get parental permission for anything?

Several states actually set 19 or even 21 as the legal age of majority, so 18 year olds are not legal adults yet.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many states let under 21s drink if their parents buy them the alcohol and a few states even let them be served alcohol in bars and restaurants if their parents are with them.

Here are the states where your dad can take you to a bar if you want to get drunk and are under 21:
Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

And here are the states where under 21s can drink in private places (homes, offices, etc) with parental consent and prescence:
Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

How exactly does that work? I thought that in the US your parents generally cease to be your 'guardians' (and lose any legal resonsibility for you) when you turn 18.

E: nevermind; should have read the third page

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If you can get drafted you should be able to be served booze. Either raise the draft age to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

natetimm posted:

If you can get drafted you should be able to be served booze. Either raise the draft age to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18.

Noone's been drafted since years before the uniform drinking age became 21.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

To me that doesn't mean much unless they get rid of Selective Service for good.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Alcoholic beverages should be prohibited, though I think for religious freedom purposes religions that use wine as a sacrament can have weak wine, no more than 2% alcohol.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The draft age should really be raised. Frankly, being 18 doesn't make you an adult and you shouldn't be allowed to sign up for the military.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me that doesn't mean much unless they get rid of Selective Service for good.

I t effectively is gone for good, no one's going to be able to get a draft going unless someone manages to straight up invade the US.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Pohl posted:

The draft age should really be raised. Frankly, being 18 doesn't make you an adult and you shouldn't be allowed to sign up for the military.

Yeah but where would the armed forces be if they couldn't sucker in gullible kids fresh out of high school?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

I t effectively is gone for good, no one's going to be able to get a draft going unless someone manages to straight up invade the US.
You still have to sign up though, right? Even if it's only symbolic of the draft, that's bad enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

You still have to sign up though, right? Even if it's only symbolic of the draft, that's bad enough.

It effectively acts as a special yearly census of 18 year old males at this point. You also generally sign up for it as part of applying for various federal aid and the like, so you're signing up anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

It effectively acts as a special yearly census of 18 year old males at this point. You also generally sign up for it as part of applying for various federal aid and the like, so you're signing up anyway.
Like I said, as long as it's symbolic of the draft, it needs to go. I remember when I got it, and had to have a talk with my parents about how my government could call me up to go off and die somewhere, and that I had no choice but to sign it. It's not a conversation that should happen, but also having its meaning kept from kids should also not happen.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Legalize mushrooms at 18, alcohol at 25, military service at 65.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rhandhali posted:

Yeah but where would the armed forces be if they couldn't sucker in gullible kids fresh out of high school?

On the other side of that coin, what will desperately poor kids do if they can't enlist right after high school? :v:

(I know, I know, the correct answer is that it would be far more effective to provide them with real work and training/further education than with running around and being yelled at for four to six years.)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

But you can't even rent a car alone without paying ridiculous extra fees until you're 25. I mean, there's a lot of things in US law that you can't do until 21 or older.

Japan simplifies things a lot though, by pushing just about everything up or down to age 20. Voting, smoking, drinking, the list goes on and on.

Except being charged higher fees due to liability, or even being denied service by a private company altogether, is a far cry from the government mandating that a person cannot do something and will be punished with fines or arrest should they do so anyways.

Also, due to the way ages are measured in Japan (starting at 1 rather than zero), that age for drinking, smoking, etc in Japan is actually 19.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Several states actually set 19 or even 21 as the legal age of majority, so 18 year olds are not legal adults yet.

What does this actually mean though? The voting age is 18 everywhere, it sounds like one of those "Sodomy is illegal in seven states!" things. If a law is overruled by other laws it's no longer really a law.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 27, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spain is a bad example because they have terrible problems from stay-up-all-night culture and Spanish kids have a nightmare reputation among teachers. Sleeping 2 hours in the day doesn't make up for staying up until 2 every day and 6 on party nights. The average dinner time for Spanish families is something insane like midnight. Sleeping 2 hours in the day does not make up that sleep debt.

No wonder they drink all day.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
In many developing countries no legal age to buy alcohol is really enforced. Small children can run to the store with a list from their parents and won't be questioned about the beer or wine they're hauling back in their red wagon. However, it's not like small children would be welcome in bars.

I think the western world should adopt this strategy. Let anyone buy it at the store. If teenagers wanna buy booze and go hang out at the cemetery so be it. But still enforce the drinking age at bars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sucrose posted:

What does this actually mean though? The voting age is 18 everywhere, it sounds like one of those "Sodomy is illegal in seven states!" things. If a law is overruled by other laws it's no longer really a law.

It means age of majority, the age of being a full legal adult, is not the same as the age to vote or whatever.

As another example, there are some things in Scotland where 16 year old people may vote, but they're definitely not considered an adult.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
Yes it should. If you are old enough to be deployed to a combat zone, vote, perform jury duty, etc you are old enough to take responsibility for your actions and that includes sitting in a bar drinking.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pentyne posted:

Rather then use an anecdote just use raw numbers.
http://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=24

I wonder how much of that is also due to increased vehicle safety standards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arglebargle III posted:

Spain is a bad example because they have terrible problems from stay-up-all-night culture and Spanish kids have a nightmare reputation among teachers. Sleeping 2 hours in the day doesn't make up for staying up until 2 every day and 6 on party nights. The average dinner time for Spanish families is something insane like midnight. Sleeping 2 hours in the day does not make up that sleep debt.

No wonder they drink all day.

Having just returned from Granada, I think the biggest motivating factor behind the siesta is that it's hot as gently caress in the afternoon. When it's 36 degrees, you're better off just trying to sleep through it. I don't even want to think about how hot that place must get in mid-August. Then, as everything gets adjusted 2-3 hours to make up for it, going to bed at 2 or 6 isn't really that out of the question. In North America, I stay up until midnight or 1 all the time, and often later if I'm out partying or something. Add three hours to that and you get the same result.

When you say Spanish kids have a nightmare reputation, do you mean outside of Spain or inside Spain? If the former, then I can see how the transition to a more conventional schedule would cause massive problems in the short term. If it's inside Spain, well, who else are Spanish teachers going to complain about?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 27, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Having just returned from Granada, I think the biggest motivating factor behind the siesta is that it's hot as gently caress in the afternoon. When it's 36 degrees, you're better off just trying to sleep through it. I don't even want to think about how hot that place must get in mid-August.

I have a friend who goes to see family in Egypt every summer and it's basically the same idea there.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Lower the drinking age and enact serious car control.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I suppose if the alcohol-related death numbers are unassailable then maybe it does need to be 21 here in the US, but at the same time I don't think it does great things for drinking "culture" among young people. Almost every single experience I had before I was 21 was a binge drinking experience or in an environment of binge drinking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I suppose if the alcohol-related death numbers are unassailable then maybe it does need to be 21 here in the US, but at the same time I don't think it does great things for drinking "culture" among young people. Almost every single experience I had before I was 21 was a binge drinking experience or in an environment of binge drinking.

As long as night club culture is a thing binge drinking will persist. It doesn't really matter anyways as alcohol poisoning is not the most dangerous factor at play here, the drunk driving is.

Teron D Amun posted:

And at what age do you think people should be able to buy/use weapons?

Basically never unless they plan on going hunting. :sweden:

:v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I was under the impression that the real reason for having it at 21 is that you're always going to have some level of illicit drinking, and it's a little less worrisome when it's at college, than when you've got high school freshmen drinking because the seniors have easy access to alcohol. I think that it would be nice to have a healthier culture about it as a whole, but that's not something you can easily change.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lord of Hats posted:

I was under the impression that the real reason for having it at 21 is that you're always going to have some level of illicit drinking, and it's a little less worrisome when it's at college, than when you've got high school freshmen drinking because the seniors have easy access to alcohol. I think that it would be nice to have a healthier culture about it as a whole, but that's not something you can easily change.

So is it safer when high-schoolers go to frat houses to get their underage drinking on?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sucrose posted:

Also, due to the way ages are measured in Japan (starting at 1 rather than zero), that age for drinking, smoking, etc in Japan is actually 19.

You're confusing Japan and Korea. Japan hasn't measured ages from 1 for the last 60 years. Also, nobody checks ID anywhere, and there's beer vending machines. The drinking age is whenever you learn not to try to buy it while wearing a school uniform.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

You're confusing Japan and Korea. Japan hasn't measured ages from 1 for the last 60 years. Also, nobody checks ID anywhere, and there's beer vending machines. The drinking age is whenever you learn not to try to buy it while wearing a school uniform.

I remember the cigarette and beer vending machines requiring some sort of ID card you had to slot to use them. Maybe that was just in Osaka?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rhandhali posted:

I remember the cigarette and beer vending machines requiring some sort of ID card you had to slot to use them. Maybe that was just in Osaka?

Cigarette vending machines require a Taspo card by law, but beer vending machines don't. I have never seen a beer vending machine require any kind of age verification.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ErIog posted:

Cigarette vending machines require a Taspo card by law, but beer vending machines don't. I have never seen a beer vending machine require any kind of age verification.

I'm amazed there are places in the world where beer vending machines are even a thing.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

I'm amazed there are places in the world where beer vending machines are even a thing.

They are quite common in the hotels in Japan, generally one on each floor selling all the things a buisness traveler needs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xoidanor posted:

I've only seen them in one country, but, yeah, they're certainly a thing, just like cigarette machines. Assuming they have provisions to prevent underage sale, I don't see the problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KennyTheFish posted:

They are quite common in the hotels in Japan, generally one on each floor selling all the things a buisness traveler needs.
When I was there as a student, me and my classmates took one look at beer vending machines and said "since they are selling beer literally on the street here, it must be legal to drink on the street here!" It was a perfectly logical conclusion, and also completely wrong. You're supposed to buy the beer from the vending machine and take it home.

PT6A posted:

I've only seen them in one country, but, yeah, they're certainly a thing, just like cigarette machines. Assuming they have provisions to prevent underage sale, I don't see the problem.
They briefly installed card readers that scanned specifically-made cards that you couldn't get if you were underage, but the plan was costly, complicated and ineffective and they said gently caress it. I asked some high school students in Japan how easy it was to get alcohol, most would not answer me but one finally said it was easy; as long as you aren't wearing a school uniform no one cares. And I saw some drunk as gently caress teenagers at cherry blossom parties; however, they were not causing trouble.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

I can say, they are also around in Dublin hotels. Not sure if they require ID, since they were massively over priced and I never used them.

• Locked thread