Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

How is this the case? The google glass thing sits on your face like you're Vegeta and tells you the power levels of everyone around you while streaming data to Google about who's in the gay bar at 11:20 PM on Thursday night. A smartphone can do many of these things but you have to use your hand to point it, and typically it sits in your pocket or purse. I'd say this is a quanitative difference.

Except Google Glass doesn't do any of those things other than sit on your face. Source: two of my best friends have it through their job since they do customer service on it, and I've gotten to borrow it and play with it a bit.

(It's also kind of a pile of poo poo honestly, so maybe that's skewing my opinion.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If I'm at a restaurant I'd actually prefer nobody pull out their cellphones. Can't you shut off for an hour and, if you're eating with someone else, just enjoy their company and the food?

You're weird and out of touch. If you hate seeing people enjoy their lives so much why do you even go out?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Glass just exacerbates this problem, but makes it worse, since it adds this creepy sort of surveillance to the whole thing. You could use your dumb eyewear to record my conversation or take pictures of me surreptitiously, which just bothers me. If someone has a camera I can at least know that they're taking pictures with them. Glass? It's over before I can even notice, even if I'm looking straight at you.

You will know if someone is taking a picture or video of you with glass because the thing not only blinks constantly when doing that, they also have to either shout commands to it or make awkward and obvious movements around their head to take a picture or to start/stop recording.

Also your typical google glass wearer won't shut up about how they're using it either.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's not unreasonable for a restaurant to ask a customer to stop behavior that is upseeting others, nor is it technophobic or discriminatory to ask a person wearing glass to stop. If you are in a nice restaurant and loudly talking on your phone they will ask you to stop.

All the glass wearer had to do is take them off and put them away. Why is that an unreasonable request? Why is this a political statement?

I get that you think this is hypocritical behavior but my stance is that it's a ridiculously trivial thing to be upset about and that pro-glass people are showing their rear end and being whiny babies over something petty.

I'd argue that a person wearing a Glass is an even more trivial thing to get upset about. What's more unreasonable - someone not taking off their computer glasses just because someone else said to, or someone else getting so upset about computer glasses that they demand that others remove them or even demand that private businesses remove them? Everyone involved comes out looking dumb, but who's the bigger rear end in a top hat - the person who initiated a confrontation and presented an unreasonable demand, or the person who refused and left peacefully and whined about it on Twitter later? Just because Glassholes tend to be obnoxious babies who feel strongly about their toys doesn't change the fact that they're not the ones getting so obsessed over Glass to go and start a conflict over it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's not unreasonable for a restaurant to ask a customer to stop behavior that is upseeting others, nor is it technophobic or discriminatory to ask a person wearing glass to stop. If you are in a nice restaurant and loudly talking on your phone they will ask you to stop.

Was the person "loudly talking" on their Glass? No, they presumably committed the awful, awful crime of simply having it on and trying to enjoy their meal, and maybe take a few photos of said meal.

The point is that they were not doing anything that would upset rational people. They were simply wearing it. So yes, it is loving unreasonable to ask them to take it off.

Look guys I get it, SV is full of weirdo-nerds with their little gadgets and entitlement syndrome and it's fun to make fun of them on an Internet forum. Does that mean everything they do is wrong and stupid? No.

If I were the restaurant owner and a customer complained to me about another customer wearing a Google Glass, the conversation would go like this:

Customer: Can you please ask that person to take off their Google Glass? It's making me uncomfortable.
Me: I see. I'm sorry about that. Have they done anything in particular? Maybe stared at you or recorded you using the device?
Customer: Well, no, but...
Me: OK, if they do anything of that nature, let me know and I promise I'll take care of it. Enjoy your meal. :)

Done and done.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Install Windows posted:

You will know if someone is taking a picture or video of you with glass because the thing not only blinks constantly when doing that, they also have to either shout commands to it or make awkward and obvious movements around their head to take a picture or to start/stop recording.

One of the guys on the original google+ post talks about how he has his set up to take pictures by winking, so that he can photograph sensitive work documents for later review without indicating that he's taking a picture.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

Was the person "loudly talking" on their Glass? No, they presumably committed the awful, awful crime of simply having it on and trying to enjoy their meal, and maybe take a few photos of said meal.

The point is that they were not doing anything that would upset rational people. They were simply wearing it. So yes, it is loving unreasonable to ask them to take it off.

Look guys I get it, SV is full of weirdo-nerds with their little gadgets and entitlement syndrome and it's fun to make fun of them on an Internet forum. Does that mean everything they do is wrong and stupid? No.

If I were the restaurant owner and a customer complained to me about another customer wearing a Google Glass, the conversation would go like this:

Customer: Can you please ask that person to take off their Google Glass? It's making me uncomfortable.
Me: I see. I'm sorry about that. Have they done anything in particular? Maybe stared at you or recorded you using the device?
Me: OK, if they do anything of that nature, let me know and I promise I'll take care of it. Enjoy your meal. :)

Done and done.

Well loving open your own Google Glass Diner or whatever then. This is one place doing a thing and because of that they got a bunch of lovely internet nerds messing with them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dammit Who? posted:

One of the guys on the original google+ post talks about how he has his set up to take pictures by winking, so that he can photograph sensitive work documents for later review without indicating that he's taking a picture.
Obviously impossible; the toy is useless and bad, but also, anyone who's uncomfortable having it pointed at them in a restaurant or bar is a no-good poo poo!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dammit Who? posted:

In order to use this you must first get a newer Glass version, and recalibrate it pretty much daily, and you have to really scrunch up your face to get the thing to notice.

And contorting your face grotesquely is more than a bit noticeable!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Install Windows posted:

You're weird and out of touch. If you hate seeing people enjoy their lives so much why do you even go out?

If you're filing "talking on a phone" under any kind of heading like "enjoy[ing] life" then you are a profoundly sad person. I honestly do not mean this as a pejorative, merely a descriptor to further inform conversation.

Even Phone Sex With Someone You Care For Deeply is an intimacy of last resort.

I use my smartphone at the bar sometimes, surfing news feeds and the like. Its when I've had a horrible day and want to pound a drink made by somoene who isn't me listening to music I didn't queue up and generally want to be an asocial alcoholic MegaFucker before rambling on home. "enjoyment" is not the word I'd use for that. Now talking to people and socializing in a public space, that's what I do for enjoyment. I'm hosed up like that, maybe?

Nobody enjoys using their phone, even if they say they do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Willie Tomg posted:

If you're filing "talking on a phone" under any kind of heading like "enjoy[ing] life" then you are a profoundly sad person. I honestly do not mean this as a pejorative, merely a descriptor to further inform conversation.

Even Phone Sex With Someone You Care For Deeply is an intimacy of last resort.

I use my smartphone at the bar sometimes, surfing news feeds and the like. Its when I've had a horrible day and want to pound a drink made by somoene who isn't me listening to music I didn't queue up and generally want to be an asocial alcoholic MegaFucker before rambling on home. "enjoyment" is not the word I'd use for that. Now talking to people and socializing in a public space, that's what I do for enjoyment. I'm hosed up like that, maybe?

Nobody enjoys using their phone, even if they say they do.

He didn't say talking on their phones, he said having a phone out at all.

Also I'm sorry for your apparently crippling depression, but most people do like to use Facebook or play games. Maybe you should see a doctor if you are unable to comprehend other people enjoying things.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 26, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Install Windows posted:

He didn't say talking on their phones, he said having a phone out at all.

changes nothing of substance

quote:

Also I'm sorry for your apparently crippling depression, but most people do like to use Facebook or play games. Maybe you should see a doctor if you are unable to comprehend other people enjoying things.

Browsing facebook and playing games at the bar or restaurant: Living Life And Loving It

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Willie Tomg posted:

changes nothing of substance

Browsing facebook and playing games at the bar or restaurant: Living Life And Loving It

Well yeah because you didn't have any to start with.

Yes people enjoy doing these things. That's why they're doing them. If they did not enjoy doing them they would do something else.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011
Are you like 15? Because teens are the few people I see that think its acceptable to stare into their phones during dinner.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fridgraidr posted:

Are you like 15? Because teens are the few people I see that think its acceptable to stare into their phones during dinner.

Cool, it's literally an "old man yells at cloud" level of discourse. Why aren't things the exact same as 1985?

I was 15 10 years ago. When using cell phones was also perfectly acceptable, grandpa.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
e: definitly thought I had wandered into a GBS thread. shame on me.

Wells fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 26, 2014

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
e:nm

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

enraged_camel posted:

I wouldn't be able to tell if they were recording.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wells posted:

Public acceptance of new technologies is directly proportional to how much of a loving dork you look like while using them. Anyone wearing google glass looks like a huge tool so I'm okay with discriminating (ahahahhaha "discriminating") against them.

Which is basically what this whole debate comes down to: a restaurant discriminating against a patron because of the way that patron looks when they wear a new device.

I mean, let's drop the pretense of this being a debate about privacy and talk about whether it is acceptable to discriminate against people trying something new in public.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Cool, it's literally an "old man yells at cloud" level of discourse. Why aren't things the exact same as 1985?

I was 15 10 years ago. When using cell phones was also perfectly acceptable, grandpa.

If you can't enjoy the company you are in without touching your tether, maybe stay at home where it's safe.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jazu posted:

There's a red light that comes on when you record stuff on it.

You know, much like a camcorder, which have been around since 1980.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fridgraidr posted:

If you can't enjoy the company you are in without touching your tether, maybe stay at home where it's safe.

Why is any of this loving relevant? She was by herself, for gently caress's sake. But wait, only loser nerds eat out by themselves, right? So it's OK to judge.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jazu posted:

This is true of literally anyone. I don't really give a poo poo if restaurants have a policy against them, for the same reason that I don't give a poo poo about restaurants with policies against red hats, but banning Google Glass because you are concerned about being recorded without your knowledge is just foolish. There are a thousand cheaper and more effective ways to record people without their knowledge.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enraged_camel posted:

talk about whether it is acceptable to discriminate against people trying something new in public.
People doing dumb things should be told to cut that poo poo out.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Why is any of this loving relevant? She was by herself, for gently caress's sake. But wait, only loser nerds eat out by themselves, right? So it's OK to judge.

calm down hot sauce. See my quote? I reference nobody. Im not talking about the glasses girl. chill it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fridgraidr posted:

You've got some weird fetishes of control to work out man. Did you notice that the other people they're with don't mind that they're using the phones? Maybe you should stop getting offended on the behalf of people who clearly disagree with your decades out of date view of technology.

It's especially creepy of you to think of a phone as a tether. Here's an idea: you should be the one staying at home because normal people are apparently offending you.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011
I'm a total creep for wanting you to keep your phone in your pocket while we enjoy a meal/beer together. I'm weird and out of touch sorry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

fridgraidr posted:

I'm a total creep for wanting you to keep your phone in your pocket while we enjoy a meal/beer together. I'm weird and out of touch sorry.
Well I wouldn't want to be with someone who was messing with it all the time, but I wouldn't be offended if they checked their phone when I took a piss or whatever. Or if they were showing me a photo, say.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fridgraidr posted:

Yes you are a total creep for getting angry that people are using phones. It's the year 2014 and it is normal to do now.

You're especially a creep for getting angry at the "teens" who know it's acceptable to look at phones, who can't possibly even be dining with you in the first place, so you must be just looking over to completely separate tables and getting angry at them over it. Or maybe you are a significantly older person regularly dining out with teens which is creepy in a whole different way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People doing dumb things should be told to cut that poo poo out.

Since when is wearing a pair of glasses considered dumb?

I'm currently sitting at a coffee shop and the guy at the table next to me is wearing a pair of glasses that are far, far uglier than Google Glass. Should I complain to the owners? Oh my, I just don't know what to do!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Yes people enjoy doing these things. That's why they're doing them. If they did not enjoy doing them they would do something else.

I think you are either unaware, or for the purposes of this thread downplaying the poo poo people do and put up with to slot into a group of people. Retreating into the internet in a public space is an aversive or anxious action and it's pretty cool how you define the taxonomy of such as a function of depression as you lash out for actual pejoratives rather than, y'know, looking at behavior and calling a spade a spade.

Google Glass is the first of what capitalism dictates as an inevitable series of devices which extend this dysfunctional bullshit outwards to other people which is why its precipitating such a reaction and initiating a conversation about consumer gadgets finally becoming too overdeveloped and stupid for their own good.

Your personal metric for happiness, by your own admission, is going to a nice restaurant with people you like and browsing Facebook. this is a dystopian vision! That you do not instinctively recognize this, or lack the tools to recognize this, or choose to accept it as something that is how it is and how it has always been is my point. That you criticize this fundamental evaluation as substanceless is corollary to that point.

Nessus posted:

Well I wouldn't want to be with someone who was messing with it all the time, but I wouldn't be offended if they checked their phone when I took a piss or whatever. Or if they were showing me a photo, say.

I don't think people checking their texts as their drinking buddy or date or whatever gets up to piss is inspiring posts ITT.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

I'm currently sitting at a coffee shop and the guy at the table next to me is wearing a pair of glasses that are far, far uglier than Google Glass. Should I complain to the owners? Oh my, I just don't know what to do!

Wearing a hat isn't dumb, but if someone decided to wear big neon pink foam hat into places they might eventually be asked to take it off dude.

Willie Tomg posted:

I think you are either unaware, or for the purposes of this thread downplaying the poo poo people do and put up with to slot into a group of people. Retreating into the internet in a public space is an aversive or anxious action and it's pretty cool how you define the taxonomy of such as a function of depression as you lash out for actual pejoratives rather than, y'know, looking at behavior and calling a spade a spade.

Google Glass is the first of what capitalism dictates as an inevitable series of devices which extend this dysfunctional bullshit outwards to other people which is why its precipitating such a reaction and initiating a conversation about consumer gadgets finally becoming too overdeveloped and stupid for their own good.

Your personal metric for happiness, by your own admission, is going to a nice restaurant with people you like and browsing Facebook. this is a dystopian vision! That you do not instinctively recognize this, or lack the tools to recognize this, or choose to accept it as something that is how it is and how it has always been is my point. That you criticize this fundamental evaluation as substanceless is corollary to that point.

You're unaware that anyone can enjoy anything you don't enjoy and that's on you. It's usually a sign of depression.

That's some nice bullshit but it's not true.

That's not my personal metric for happiness, but it is something other people like to do! Again you belie a depressive mental state by assuming that everyone else only checks a facebook post as a retreat or something. Please seek help for your problems.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Windows posted:

Wearing a hat isn't dumb, but if someone decided to wear big neon pink foam hat into places they might eventually be asked to take it off dude.

Or if they went to a mosque with a hat that depicted Muhammad.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Dinner With Andre 2015 remake: two Austin techies meet at an extraordinarily choreographed supper, they mostly sit silent in polo shirts murmuring over the last wave of daily emails. For five minutes after entrees have been served they commiserate between bites over "this poo poo I heard on my Fresh Air stream today, can you believe that poo poo?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Install Windows posted:

Why should we tolerate such a hat-o-phobic perspective? I mean let's be honest on what's going on here, those people are overreacting to the presence of a harmless piece of plastic and deserve every negative reaction they get.

As for the dystopian crisis of phone glancing, I don't think the occasional glance at pocket computers is a sign of the doom of humanity or of joy in the company of others, and medicalizing it seems pretty stupid. That said, doing more than checking your messages during lulls of whatever sort or using it as a tool for a social action (showing photos) is kind of an rear end in a top hat maneuver.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

There's a red light that comes on when you record stuff on it.

You know, much like a camcorder, which have been around since 1980.

Don't you think a patron holding a camcorder's viewfinder to their eye and looking around would get a similar treatment, even if the red light never once came on? You're right that it's not directly a privacy issue, it's one of appearances. The person wearing google glass has the appearance of someone doing something that a large majority of people are (not unreasonably) uncomfortable with in a restaurant setting, even if they're not recording/don't intend to.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enraged_camel posted:

ITT we pretend that Google Glass is totally just a $1500 pair of glasses and not a Segway for your face.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

Install Windows posted:

You're unaware that anyone can enjoy anything you don't enjoy and that's on you.

It's common etiquette man. It has nothing to do with hounding on people enjoying things.
If my best bud loved chewing with his mouth wide open at the table, I might ask him to stop having such a loving blast.

Also, lol I'm 27 man. So old!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fridgraidr posted:

It's common etiquette man. It has nothing to do with hounding on people enjoying things.
If my best bud loved chewing with his mouth wide open at the table, I might ask him to stop having such a loving blast.

Also, lol I'm 27 man. So old!

Common etiquette is that looking at phones is ok in the year 2014. Also please consider that if you're regularly going out to eat with people and they deliberately avoid talking with you that you're probably the problem at that table?

You post about those drat teens and 15 year olds like you're 67 so excuse me for assuming you were simply so old that society changed around you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Willie Tomg posted:

Dinner With Andre 2015 remake: two Austin techies meet at an extraordinarily choreographed supper, they mostly sit silent in polo shirts murmuring over the last wave of daily emails. For five minutes after entrees have been served they commiserate between bites over "this poo poo I heard on my Fresh Air stream today, can you believe that poo poo?"

Have you been glass-recording my gaming group? Erie.

Anyway this is just a silly fuss over nothing. I just think popular society has reached a bit of a saturation point where tech gadgetry is no longer considered special and (in some areas without extreme social mores against doing such things) more people are telling people to knock it off. Increasingly businesses are making the decision to ask patrons to discontinue using non-assistive-tech electronic devices if it is bothering other patrons while before they would just put up with it because it was just one guy/woman talking loudly on their headset while now if you let one person get away with it ten other people will fire up a conversation too. Broken-windows policing applied to keeping annoying technophiles from taking root in an establishment perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Also please consider that if you're regularly going out to eat with people and they deliberately avoid talking with you that you're probably the problem at that table?

Good thing I didn't come here complaining about all my friends who play with their phones at the table then I guess.
This is something you should be considering if you can't enjoy your friends/family at dinner without checking your friends status or getting that next floor to your sweet tiny tower, actually.

• Locked thread