Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
i believe that i will eat
chants jozy as he rolls on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

fat greasy puto posted:

nationality, citizenship, language spoken? we don't care. get your kicks in the land of opportunity, on the united states mens national team

thats brazil, a country that is actually good at football

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Fag Boy Jim posted:

USMNT will get a result against Portugal. Mark it down.

they'll lose 69-0 with Ronaldo scoring all the goals and Jozy eating poo poo on the ground

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Icept posted:

My inferior scandinavian country didn't make the world cup this year. Neither did any of the other scandinavian teams, so I think I'll take my chances with the one and only superpower in the world. USA, USA, USA :911:

real scandinavian countries (not finland because they're Uralic cavemen) are better at football than the US and deserve the spot those garbagemen will waste rolling on the floor against Ghana

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Did Jozy score?

Of course not

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Blue Screen Error posted:

CONCACAF qualifying is basically designed so USA and Mexico always qualify, with millions of group stages ensuring there are no upsets. Thats not neccessarily a bad thing but it is really boring compared to say African qualifying.

FIFA should standardise qualification, merge CONCACAF and South America, Asia and Oceania and you'd have roughly equal sized federations. USA might actually improve if they had to play proper teams more often than every 4 years.

I don't think anyone wants to watch more games against Caribbean baseball islands though. Just leave them to Mexico and the US imo.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Blue Screen Error posted:

Under my regime you'd have prequalifying rounds like Africa does to weed out the really poo poo teams, and then they'd get to have their own little world cup.

Make a prequalifying round between the best Concacaf teams and then have a proper qualifier against Conmebol teams.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

R. Mute posted:

This is beautiful. I can imagine it now. All the defenders jump to the side as he passes, yelling 'Oh no, I can't stop Jozy! He's too good!' as Jozy tumbles down the pitch, his gut shaking violently from side to side. Jozy is in front of goal now, he slows down, looks at the ball, then at the goal, then at the ball, then at the keeper, then back at the ball. He "kicks" the ball and it sails slowly through the air, straight at Howard. Howard has to use all his reflexes to jump out of the way. Jozy runs straight towards Klinsmann: 'I scored a goal! Did you see? I scored a goal, Jürgen!' 'I saw, Jozy. That's why you're number one.' The rest of his teammates crowd around and reveal a cake with his name on it and they all have a Jozy-party. Ghana beats the US 5-0, Portugal 7-0 with Ronaldo scoring all of those, Germany win 1-0 but maintain 100% possession during the match.

I love this post

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Suqit posted:

We've got the best beef in the world son. If you don't believe me, just ask your mom.

Haha you've probably never tried Argentinean beef. Enjoy your poo poo McDonalds food culture.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bogan Krkic posted:

What the hell does this mean? The English and arguably predominant mindset is that a game of football unfolds almost like a play. It's a 90 minute long drama, during which you experience a rollercoaster of emotions. The American mindset seems to be that each event precludes the next, and is just a series of disconnected statistics. I guess it's all swings and roundabouts really, but can you truly not see what the writer is trying to say? That had Tab taken an elbow, or sizzled the ball T90 it would be but a scene in the great theatre of football, acted out over two 45 minute periods?

I think that's the case for most footballing nations tbh. Sure there's a narrative that unfolds beyond the 90 minutes, but this belongs to a different order of reflection regarding the game. A single game of football is never seen as a breakdown of numbers, and final stats provide an insight into the strategic conditions of each team. I'd like to see some weird opinions on the American mindset and their stats based perception of football.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I also never mentioned stats or numbers, because anyone who's ever watched or played a single game of soccer understands that whether a team wins or loses largely depends on the aspects of the game that aren't quantifiable. Have you ever considered that the outliers, i.e., the fans who do come up with spreadsheets and charts to pretend Jozy Altidore isn't awful, are just the loudest/most obnoxious?

Basically, the idea that Americans fans view soccer any differently than other cultures is pretty uninformed and mostly based on the actions of a subset of absolute knobs rather than the people who actually care about it.

What do you, tetsman and Bogan, think about giving the Iceman a run out wide?

You're just conflating two different things though, one is how you perceive a game and another one is how you deal with club history and season. I'd imagine the author of the article is not referring to the latter and thinking that American fans tend to see a game of football based on how they are used to in American football and baseball. So I guess I don't disagree with you in that what we probably think of the average American fan is simply limited to the idiotic retards who post about jozy on bigsoccer, and that seems to be exactly the group that is being targeted by the author of that article.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Joke is older than your mom and not as funny

Relax and enjoy posting, friend.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Tonight the US will play against a proper WC team and it will be a good test of their skills. The question is, do American fans think they can beat Nigeria?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Montasque posted:

And universal healthcare.

I don't think Brazil has either and they know their football. The problem runs deeper.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Crunkjuice posted:

Sorry if you don't want to hang out with friends around a grill with beer and good food while watching other games before you enter said sporting event.

In a parking lot?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Yes why talk about football when you can be trolled to death with food chat? Anyway who cares about this 'soccer' thing? What's a Nigeria? Let's better discuss the things that make you real fans instead of the chances your lovely team have to beat the super eagles.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Mmm great thread about football, yes, great contributions from some American supporters who really don't perpetuate any stereotypes other nations have.

I don't know if Jozy is going to start tonight but I hope he does. The eagles could use some help in the back.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Crunkjuice posted:

My lovely team doesn't have a chance to beat the eagles and it causes me to drink more than a die hard jozy supporter :(

Thank you for your honest post, op.I think you represent the minority of supporters who do care about football. Do you think a tie could be a reasonable objective for the US?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Suqit posted:

Who cares it's a friendly.

I thought Americans really valued friendlies though? Also, the World Cup is around the corner and teams play friendlies to prepare for the games to come. Welcome to football, or as your people call it, 'soccer'.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
will jozy be out for the us's third game?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the us are a lot less appealing spectacle-wise without jozy tbh

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The match against Portugal will be fun imo. I think Portugal will be rather overconfident, but the need to score will make them more violent and better than against Germany. I, personally, am thrilled about this match.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

80085 posted:

Yes Portugal will be coming into the match very high on confidence after their majestic performance against Germany

The point is that, much like what happened with Costa Rica, bigger teams are overconfident when facing smaller teams.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

habeasdorkus posted:

loving Ghana. Now we could draw Portugal and still get knocked out when Ghana beats Portugal next week as Germany is going to want to thrash us and ensure their advancement.

theres no place in the game for this type of racism

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
What's the consensus on the Japan-USA football rivalry?

(Hiroshima was a total catastrophe, and idiotic of us to get involved in)

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
~women's football~

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
isn't there an actual rivalry between the us and mexico?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
lol wrong quote

i think this could develop into a fun meme, but I'm not completely sure

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 21, 2014

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

mynameisjohn posted:

(the alamo was a total catastrophe, and idiotic of us to get involved in)

igtr

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
will jozy be able to play against belgium?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm afraid to say it, but I believe Jozy's world cup may be over.

no!!!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Honestly this was a bad performance by the USMNT. Beat one team (Ghana) that's been accused of match-fixing, drew one and lost two (2). This after the billions spent on developing the sport in the country is not a good result, especially when parking the bus against tiny less developed countries like Belgium. Also, I didn't want to mention this, but the team besmirched their image by being one of the teams with the most dives and that faked the most injuries, and there was no success to show for this dishonor. I feel like the USMNT might as well have stayed home, but maybe in four years they'll be able to beat more than one team. Ultimately embarrassing.

the truth is hard to swallow for some my friend, stay strong through the hurt trolling

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

habeasdorkus posted:

gently caress off back to your broke rear end ex-fascist dictatorship, and pretend that Lisbon is a real city. Also, stop speaking American, you're sullying our tongue with your shitposting.

AHAHAHA! gently caress OFF PORTUGAL, WORST COUNTRY IN IBERIA EVEN COUNTING ANDORRA!

even counting andorra!!! hahaha good one!!!!!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
did klansman mention anything about his plans after the world cup? will he remain with the us?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

80085 posted:

yes. he was going to stay even if we got 0 points

how do you people feel about that?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

habeasdorkus posted:

How much does it burn that I'm going to go back to not giving a poo poo about soccer in two weeks and you're going to stew over the Seleção getting punted from the World Cup once again by a country that doesn't care about your lovely little sport?

I can tell that it agonizes you. But that's to be expected, you don't have anything else in your life considering the shitpile of your economy and your general personal laziness.

I think that this type of blatant racism against a honest poster who's only commenting stats is certainly a mark of bad taste. Some posters here are real big racists. smh.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

habeasdorkus posted:

That's the attitude I should have. I should recalibrate, and come back later.

(This thread was a total catastrophe, and idiotic of you to get involved in)

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

80085 posted:

I don't think I've seen habeas ever post in MLS threads but I could be wrong

he doesn't care about football, all he cares is about cheating in football manager

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

habeasdorkus posted:

Suck my cock you sexist piece of poo poo.

That's very sexist and, if I may say so myself, ableist. Please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

vaginal culture posted:

I heard despite save scumming and using an editor he still is bad at football manager which he does a Lets Play of is that true

I read it's true and also that his sycophantic disabled trans* gamer posse will invade trp with Bowser and Mario memes. I'm shaking.

• Locked thread