Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hello!

My name is bunnyofdoom, and I’m the deputy minister for the ministry of Canadian Cultural Promotion over internet message boards. (Our budget is tiny). I have decided that the best way to get awareness of Canada’s contributions to the world of culture is by having a contest.

Did you know that in Canada, we finally have newspapers. I know, it’s a recent development, but we are thrilled. Of course, what are newspapers without cartoonists? Just like our big brother to the south, we have various and sundry cartoons about our own political gaffes.

From our world famous mayor of our largest city Toronto’s holiday plans

to our Prime Minister picking fights with our supreme court about the senate and appointments.

(Which Sadly, isn’t quite the same as your surpeme court and senate. For one thing our sentate is less corrupt)

to our love of elections

and finally finishing off with a the son of a former Prime Minister who is prime minister in waiting saying stupid poo poo all the loving time.

As you can see, some of these are ripe for your enjoyment. So much so, that we have decided to open a contest. There are two catagories. Best edit, obviously, and the best “A Good Cartoon” wherein you deliberately misread the cartoons point.

These will be judged by me, and the winner of each will win a forums upgrade, thereby depleting the ministry’s budget til 2017.

This contest will run this for the rest of the Month and then some, so, contest ends Sunday at 7:00 PM EST. Any Canadian Political Cartoonists is fair game for this.

You can find politoons in their natural habitat here
http://www.ipolitics.ca/cartoons/
http://www.torontosun.com/opinion/cartoons
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorial_cartoon.html
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/month+worth+editorial+cartoons/993435/story.html?id=993435
http://mackaycartoons.net/
http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/index.html
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/opinion/editorial_cartoons/index.html

Have at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Might as well kick this off with a few.

With ever increasing concern about the long term effects of concussions on it's players, Canadian children abandon the game of football to pursue activities in the safety of the home. A good cartoon.

As local workforces are becoming more diverse, It leads to a feeling of multiculturalism and welcoming environment to all who visit. A Good Cartoon

I plan on doing some edits as well but my time is limited at the moment

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Prince Charles tastefully points out that Putin's actions make him literally Asian Hitler. Seriously. I have no idea how this isn't just absolutely awful.

Alison Redford knows that buying items and services in bulk is an effective way to reduce the per-item cost. A good cartoon.

Canadian-made programs are unable to compete with cheaper, higher-quality American programming. Because of this, they lack the viewership and Ad money to compete, forcing them to cut budgets or go out of business. A good cartoon.

Quebec is Canada's trophy wife. Instead of fixing their crumbling relationship, Canada throws money at them and labels everything they say as "nagging". An Abusive Cartoon.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 27, 2014

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Harper plans to dismantle national health care, a "based on the first headline I found on google" cartoon.

Voters must chose who to summon to fight the shadows using their Evoker. A Persona 3 cartoon.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 27, 2014

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Environmentalists are encouraging politicians to use existing infrastructure to supply the United States with oil. This will reduce the risk of damaging our ecosystem caused by extending the Keystone pipeline. A good cartoon.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Evenly distributing heat over a long period of time can create a crispy skin and juicy meat. A canibalism cartoon

Frivilous spending of gadgets and gizmo's is not as important as covering for our sick, disenfranchised, and the elderly. A good cartoon

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

McStabby posted:

Environmentalists are encouraging politicians to use existing infrastructure to supply the United States with oil. This will reduce the risk of damaging our ecosystem caused by extending the Keystone pipeline. A good cartoon.

I am honestly not actually sure if its actually a good thing? Pipelines spill more often (I think there were 260 or so incidents in Alberta in 2011), and about 1 train wreck a year. Except now we're going to be shipping 4x as much as we did in 2011, so... I guess things will even out? Maybe we'll get 4 accidents a year and they'll but just as bad! :gbsmith:

Much like Robin Hood, Raj Sherman's plans on using the popular support of the province's poor to win favor of the King, situate himself into a position of power, and implement systematic reform. A good cartoon.

Thats assuming Men in Tights was a faithful adaptation of the popular tale though.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Low hanging fruit is the best fruit dammit :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The chance of a Habs comeback is a joke. An unfortunate truth.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Brainbread posted:

I am honestly not actually sure if its actually a good thing? Pipelines spill more often (I think there were 260 or so incidents in Alberta in 2011), and about 1 train wreck a year. Except now we're going to be shipping 4x as much as we did in 2011, so... I guess things will even out? Maybe we'll get 4 accidents a year and they'll but just as bad! :gbsmith:

Pretty sure the bottom half of the cartoon refers to the Lac-Megantic derailment.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announces that his band's next tour will be heavily inspired by Elton John. He refused to answer who will be replacing their drummer who was convicted of diddling kids last year.

(Only half of this is made up)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

The chance of a Habs comeback is a joke. An unfortunate truth.

How dare you. Expect to see a bunch of politely loitering at your doorstep.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hello everyone.

Stiff competition for the AGC already but plenty of room for the edits it looks like, which is wonderful.

Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances the original end date has been changed.*

The contest will now run for one more week, so the end date is now June 8th!

*loving rogers loving up my internet.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

bunnyofdoom posted:

*loving rogers loving up my internet.

The most Canadian post

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Although all three parties' platforms are bad, the NDP and Conservatives are full of hot air while the Liberals' platform is concrete, making it impossible to lift off the ground. A Good Cartoon.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Spiffster posted:

As local workforces are becoming more diverse, It leads to a feeling of multiculturalism and welcoming environment to all who visit. A Good Cartoon
This is already a good cartoon; it's referring to McDonald's franchise owners recently abusing the Temporary Foreign Workers program in order to hire dirt-cheap workers from out of the country (while refusing to hire the many locals desperate for jobs). I know because the story broke in my current city.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Here's a very old cartoon from La Presse's Chapleau.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Max22 posted:

This is already a good cartoon; it's referring to McDonald's franchise owners recently abusing the Temporary Foreign Workers program in order to hire dirt-cheap workers from out of the country (while refusing to hire the many locals desperate for jobs). I know because the story broke in my current city.

That's what I heard, but the comic screams "Foreign scum taking our jobs! :argh:": so I was trying to think of a way to turn that on it's head.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 2, 2014

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Does this count?

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

politics gets things rolling. a good cartoon

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well, remember, tommorow is the last day of the contest, so get in now to get a chance to win the prize.

Also, I used what little skills I have, and what government funded computers can create to have my own edit. It's not in the running of course, conflict of interest, and how crude it is, but it gets my point across.

Edit: The captions read "Ads for fake programs" "F35" "The Senate" "$16 orange juices" "Gazebos (and a crappy drawing of it)"

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 8, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

WEll, end time has come, and this is still on the first page. So, I am keeping this open until election day in Ontario, or page 3 hits. Either way,

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

WEll, end time has come, and this is still on the first page. So, I am keeping this open until election day in Ontario, or page 3 hits. Either way,

Sorry dude I don't think this is likely to hit page 3 by then :(

Suffer Not A Heretic To Live; A Goode Cartoon.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

...I wanted to do something like this, but the above just seemed more topical:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Okay, one more... gotta hit three pages somehow:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

Haha what was the original of this? I can't imagine it saying anything else.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

vyelkin posted:

Haha what was the original of this? I can't imagine it saying anything else.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

As an Albertan, I disapprove of this message. If we focus on the rest of the economy... we'll... umm. Tax... oil companies... less? Ok. Maybe I don't have a problem with the message.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

drat fine work there.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

As a (relocated) Albertan, this is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I call it "WontRecognise.gif"

:nws::nws::nws:
http://i.imgur.com/l6StFXd.gif
:nms::nms:

If you've been living under a rock it may also be a spoiler.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

I call it "WontRecognise.gif"

:nws::nws::nws:
http://i.imgur.com/l6StFXd.gif
:nms::nms:

If you've been living under a rock it may also be a spoiler.

... the communist party isn't that bad. Right?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Brainbread posted:

... the communist party isn't that bad. Right?

Fine, you picky bastard:

http://i.imgur.com/Fghz5M9.gif

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Perfect. As an Alberta, home to the riding of Stephen Harper, I approve this message.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

drat son that was a fast edit

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I put some more effort into this one:

i didn't even have to make this poo poo up

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

JoelJoel posted:

This is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I suspect that an influx of JJ would make the contest a lot livelier.

• Locked thread