Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goddamn it's so good to see Togashi back on his A-game. Some fantastic stuff this chapter.

So far both sides look at have their wildcards and psychos. Pariston is looking to be a big sadist who's just been given a huge playground and toys to play in it with, Ging doesn't take poo poo from anyone and who the hell knows what hosed up places his curiosity could take him. Now Kurapika who isn't exactly the most stable of people when his revenge is invoked has just been given the mother of all targets to head for, who happens to be a major national figure whose death would bring down so much poo poo on his head. The Zodiac seem like they're still playing catch-up, with Cheadle searching for someone to basically be the level-headed voice of reason for the whole thing which might have already backfired, and there's no way Beyond doesn't have something planned when they finally get out there.

It would be nuts if the arc ended up being Leorio and Kurapika vs Pariston and Beyond, with Ging on the sidelines.

Let Gon and Killua take a break, they've had a rough year. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So Leorio is going to go to a place where people can catch a cold that turns people into rope... I know main characters are kinda-sorta safe in Togashi's works but I'm a little worried here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brought To You By posted:

So Leorio is going to go to a place where people can catch a cold that turns people into rope... I know main characters are kinda-sorta safe in Togashi's works but I'm a little worried here.

Dammit, Jim, He's a Doctor, not a Red Shirt. Leorio's going to cure at least 2 incurable curses and become the dedicated team medic. Who can also warp punch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thinking about it, the ability to put your hand through a portal would probably be pretty useful for a surgeon.

Someone has lodged a 12-inch dildo inside his colon? Easily removed!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Ahaha, apparently Ging can use the Ultimate Routine from Toriko. That was a pretty awesome panel of Popeye's face being flattened.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm still really confused with Pariston here. Not his motivations per say (I think he is being nearly 100% honest this chapter), but how he is written. It's really hard to get a grasp of what kind of game he is playing when we can't see the board and don't know the rules of the game. Counter to the King's motivations in the Chimera Ant's arc I can't understand what he is trying to accomplish with all this trolling. Does anyone get what he is trying to do? Or is this just him jumping from one worthy adversary to the next looking to tear them down?

Edit: Also, I think it might be a translation error but Mizaistom keeps referring to Kurapika as an "outsider" to the organization, and Kurapika uses the same word too. Last I checked, Kurapika is still a hunter so would "fringe member" be a more suitable term?

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

I'm still really confused with Pariston here. Not his motivations per say (I think he is being nearly 100% honest this chapter), but how he is written. It's really hard to get a grasp of what kind of game he is playing when we can't see the board and don't know the rules of the game. Counter to the King's motivations in the Chimera Ant's arc I can't understand what he is trying to accomplish with all this trolling. Does anyone get what he is trying to do? Or is this just him jumping from one worthy adversary to the next looking to tear them down?

Edit: Also, I think it might be a translation error but Mizaistom keeps referring to Kurapika as an "outsider" to the organization, and Kurapika uses the same word too. Last I checked, Kurapika is still a hunter so would "fringe member" be a more suitable term?

The Organization that they keep referencing is not the Hunter one but rather the Mafia. Please use Spoiler tags.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

He's just playing with people. He messes around with people because he finds it fun and joining the expedition to the Dark Continent isn't anything more than something that he finds fun by trying to introduce as many potential problems as possible. That's the impression I get from Pariston.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 11, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

The Organization that they keep referencing is not the Hunter one but rather the Mafia. Please use Spoiler tags.

Ok, that makes more sense. I think I saw the organization member use Gyou and assumed that he was also hunter because the mafia didn't seem to employ many nen users for what amounts to desk work.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kurapika and Leorio are back. :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Given the situation when we last saw Kurapika I didn't see this being how he'd come back in the story, but I'm pleased nonetheless.

Togashi has a habit of past antagonists and side characters show up, so I'm wondering when Hisoka, the Ryodan and the Zoldyks are gonna turn up here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Now, that was a good way to get the main characters involved. Also, I love that Leorio is still the most popular hunter based entirely on him punching Ging in the face. Considering how well-known Ging is, I'm starting to think that all of those hunters claiming not to know Ging was a matter of holding themselves back from ranting about how he is just the worst guy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I kind of wish the Zodiac had shut Kurapica down the way he did the others. This is someone who's been a hunter long enough to become a Zodiac against someone who learned nen in like a year or whatever. Gon and Killua against the ants were believable because the ants had also just learned nen and Gon did what he did.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jose posted:

I kind of wish the Zodiac had shut Kurapica down the way he did the others. This is someone who's been a hunter long enough to become a Zodiac against someone who learned nen in like a year or whatever. Gon and Killua against the ants were believable because the ants had also just learned nen and Gon did what he did.

Inconveniencing mooks is fine, but he's here to negotiate with the guy, there's no need to be rude.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Now, that was a good way to get the main characters involved. Also, I love that Leorio is still the most popular hunter based entirely on him punching Ging in the face. Considering how well-known Ging is, I'm starting to think that all of those hunters claiming not to know Ging was a matter of holding themselves back from ranting about how he is just the worst guy.

Ging's a two star hunter who is only not a three star because he couldn't be bothered and was a member of the Zodiacs. I don't think he was ever unknown (Gon ran into a bunch of people who knew him personally), he's just a ghost.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah Ging is a Big Deal in the circles of people who have anything to do with Hunters, he's just always doing his own thing so no one can ever get ahold of him.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Leorio looks weird now. He looks different. I don't like things that are different.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The real question is which of the new zodiacs is going to be which animal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Prison Warden posted:

Ging's a two star hunter who is only not a three star because he couldn't be bothered and was a member of the Zodiacs. I don't think he was ever unknown (Gon ran into a bunch of people who knew him personally), he's just a ghost.

Actually that may not be the case. A Single Star Hunter is a Hunter that is pretty much the best at what they do. A Double Star is a Sing Star Hunter that has made a student of his a single star hunter. A Triple Star Hunter is a Double Star hunter that is that is worthy of being called a Single Star hunter in multiple fields.

Gings main thing is Archaeology and Exploration it's possible that is the only field he excels in.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually that may not be the case. A Single Star Hunter is a Hunter that is pretty much the best at what they do. A Double Star is a Sing Star Hunter that has made a student of his a single star hunter. A Triple Star Hunter is a Double Star hunter that is that is worthy of being called a Single Star hunter in multiple fields.

Gings main thing is Archaeology and Exploration it's possible that is the only field he excels in.

Not sure what source you're basing this claim on but one of the Databooks differentiates the levels as follows:

1 Star: Significant contribution to a part of society

2 Star: Significant contributions to several fields

3 Star: Extraordinary contributions over several fields; supposedly around 10 people in the world at this level.

I could only find the source in Chinese but hopefully the translation is on point since the citation was correct.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furious Lobster posted:

Not sure what source you're basing this claim on but one of the Databooks differentiates the levels as follows:

1 Star: Significant contribution to a part of society

2 Star: Significant contributions to several fields

3 Star: Extraordinary contributions over several fields; supposedly around 10 people in the world at this level.

I could only find the source in Chinese but hopefully the translation is on point since the citation was correct.

Ah My mistake I read somewhere else that was how it worked. Still all it means is that Ging just has not covered enough stuff to be a 3 Star.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The rules you mentioned are actually from the ten commandments, which was mentioned in Chapter 331.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ah yeah here there are. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v29/c331/11.html

So Yeah I am right.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The databooks aren't written by Togashi, so I would take anything they say with a grain of salt. They're basically "true until the story mentions it in any way".

The idea that you need disciples to level up under the star system always seemed interesting to me. Even if you're the greatest person ever in every field, you'll only be two stars unless you start training someone else. I guess it's the kind of incentive the Hunter's Association wants to provide, but it has implications about all the top level Hunters we've met. I guess Kite was probably Ging's qualifying disciple?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Can Of Worms posted:

The rules you mentioned are actually from the ten commandments, which was mentioned in Chapter 331.

Totally missed the reference to the commandments there.

Clarste posted:

The databooks aren't written by Togashi, so I would take anything they say with a grain of salt. They're basically "true until the story mentions it in any way".

The idea that you need disciples to level up under the star system always seemed interesting to me. Even if you're the greatest person ever in every field, you'll only be two stars unless you start training someone else. I guess it's the kind of incentive the Hunter's Association wants to provide, but it has implications about all the top level Hunters we've met. I guess Kite was probably Ging's qualifying disciple?

If they're not written by him, I surely hope that they're written with his approval or knowledge. Also it seems contradictory given the commandments because while they're mentioned in chapter 331, in 326, Togashi has promoted Morau from Single to Triple in one bound and then changes his mind, right away. If anything, I'd say the rating system is a method to differentiate Hunters other than just being the largest badass in the room.

As to Ging's disciple giving him the promotion, contradictions and special promotions aside, I don't think it's necessarily Kite since he hadn't passed Ging's final test when Ging had already become a Double Star before. Ging's done a lot of stuff including all the Dark Continent Ruin exploration and making GI, there are probably some crazy Single Hunters out there who came from his tutelage.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is the case of Morel, though. During the elections, the run-up of the candidates suggested that Morel could become (or became?) a Triple Star Hunter for his actions during the Chimera Arc, skipping the Double Star step.

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v29/c326/3.html

Though I suppose you could make the justification that Knuckles and Shoot became Single Star Hunters for their efforts, bumping Morel to a Double Star, and his own actions bumped him up another level, letting him go up two stars at once.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

God I love Pariston's face in that one panel. :allears: Been ages since we got a good, highly detailed creepy face like that.

Definitely liked all set up we got going on, really hope Togashi sticks around for a bit and gets more of this out before inevitably going on hiatus again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethiser posted:

The real question is which of the new zodiacs is going to be which animal.

Kurapika's got chains and stuff, so I guess the Rat because it's, I dunno, kind of like rat tails? The Boar could be either him or Leorio because they're both headstrong dumbasses about certain things, but Leorio's still physically stronger unless things have changed a lot (which is definitely possible). But, yeah, that's my bet, Boar for Leorio and Rat for Kurapika.

Anyway, drat, I actually kind of called how both Kurapika and Leorio come to the Dark Continent. It's not really impressive, since multiple people figured Leorio would come for those reasons and Kurapika has exactly one motivation at this point, but god, them finally being back is so good. I've wanted this for years.

Now the question is if Gon and/or Killua will come along too, or if we're finally having an arc without the main character. I'm actually pretty interested in the potential of the latter.

Edit: Also, minor detail: Mizaistrom says he'll provide the milk for his drink himself. Place your bets on whether he's a weirdo who carries around his own supply of milk, or if Togashi's made another contender for "creepiest power in HXH".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 12, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

There is the case of Morel, though. During the elections, the run-up of the candidates suggested that Morel could become (or became?) a Triple Star Hunter for his actions during the Chimera Arc, skipping the Double Star step.

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v29/c326/3.html

Though I suppose you could make the justification that Knuckles and Shoot became Single Star Hunters for their efforts, bumping Morel to a Double Star, and his own actions bumped him up another level, letting him go up two stars at once.

That does not look like a good translation.

Clarste posted:

Quick correction the most you could ever make is Single Star unless you have a student.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Also, minor detail: Mizaistrom says he'll provide the milk for his drink himself. Place your bets on whether he's a weirdo who carries around his own supply of milk, or if Togashi's made another contender for "creepiest power in HXH".
The reveal will be that his powers are all football/soccer based and that he originally wanted to be a soccer ball, and people mistook him for a cow.

I like what he showed of his powers. He's basically a ref handing out penalty cards

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nahxela posted:

I like what he showed of his powers. He's basically a ref handing out penalty cards

Oh, good catch, I had no idea what the idea behind the power was. That's pretty neat.

Anyway, I'm really excited about Kurapika's return because, besides him being my favorite character, we're going to get to see him in a real, dangerous, non-Phantom Troupe situation again. While he's the ultimate Spider-hunting machine, even without the Chain Jail he should be pretty capable, especially since he's apparently rising through the ranks of the underworld and that can't really be done without serious skill. We'll probably finally get to see what his fifth chain is, among other things. We're also gonna get to see what Leorio can do beyond the weird portal-punch (that isn't exactly a portal; his hand itself seemed to just punch the table, if I recall correctly), which should be good.

Actually, after Leorio said he had a recommendation for the second Zodiac, while at first I thought that was how they'd be bringing Gon into this, Kurapika popped into my head pretty quickly. From them until we saw Mizaistrom talking to the mob my thoughts were basically just "please be Kurapika please be Kurapika," thoughout the entirety of the Ging and Pariston scene.

Edit: Topic of stars and stuff, apparently Cheadle is a triple star hunter, and was so even before she was made chairman. Pariston and Botobai (the Dragon) are too. A few of the others, besides Ging, are double star hunters, meanwhile, but not all of them, so being a Zodiac neither requires star rankings nor grants them. Meanwhile, Saiyu (the Monkey) was confident enough in himself to challenge Ging to a fight even though he either has no star ranking or it wasn't important enough to mention, so, at the least, we have more evidence that star ranking has little to nothing to do with one's power alone. I imagine that becoming a triple star hunter practically, if not technically, requires a fair amount of strength, though. Really interested in seeing what Cheadle and Pariston can do; the latter apparently has something or other to do with dolls, while the former the only thing we know is that, even if Ging and Pariston can outwit her, she's probably the smartest of the Zodiacs.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Oh yeah, definitely excited about Kurapika coming back into the action. I'm also curious about his index finger power as well but he still has his left hand so he'll have chances to develop more abilities :v: .

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also worth noting that a guy who had 1 Star while being a Hunter dedicated to the capture of criminals got completely destroyed by Hisoka, a dude with no star. Then again, Hisoka.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

That does not look like a good translation.
Quick correction the most you could ever make is Single Star unless you have a student.

Translation looks pretty good; it's not for sure possibly because the lack of a Chairman's approval supposedly but the fact that it's being considered suggests that the rules aren't absolutes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just can't get into Kurapika. He's not a bad character, but he's kind of boring. Also he's too close to Sasuke in motivation and magic eyes for me to not mentally link the two.

Leorio though is pretty awesome.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder who Pariston's students are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, good catch, I had no idea what the idea behind the power was. That's pretty neat.

Anyway, I'm really excited about Kurapika's return because, besides him being my favorite character, we're going to get to see him in a real, dangerous, non-Phantom Troupe situation again. While he's the ultimate Spider-hunting machine, even without the Chain Jail he should be pretty capable, especially since he's apparently rising through the ranks of the underworld and that can't really be done without serious skill. We'll probably finally get to see what his fifth chain is, among other things. We're also gonna get to see what Leorio can do beyond the weird portal-punch (that isn't exactly a portal; his hand itself seemed to just punch the table, if I recall correctly), which should be good.

Actually, after Leorio said he had a recommendation for the second Zodiac, while at first I thought that was how they'd be bringing Gon into this, Kurapika popped into my head pretty quickly. From them until we saw Mizaistrom talking to the mob my thoughts were basically just "please be Kurapika please be Kurapika," thoughout the entirety of the Ging and Pariston scene.

Edit: Topic of stars and stuff, apparently Cheadle is a triple star hunter, and was so even before she was made chairman. Pariston and Botobai (the Dragon) are too. A few of the others, besides Ging, are double star hunters, meanwhile, but not all of them, so being a Zodiac neither requires star rankings nor grants them. Meanwhile, Saiyu (the Monkey) was confident enough in himself to challenge Ging to a fight even though he either has no star ranking or it wasn't important enough to mention, so, at the least, we have more evidence that star ranking has little to nothing to do with one's power alone. I imagine that becoming a triple star hunter practically, if not technically, requires a fair amount of strength, though. Really interested in seeing what Cheadle and Pariston can do; the latter apparently has something or other to do with dolls, while the former the only thing we know is that, even if Ging and Pariston can outwit her, she's probably the smartest of the Zodiacs.

Ha ha, what sort of psycho would put Gon in a position of authority?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pariston :v: .

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gyges posted:

I just can't get into Kurapika. He's not a bad character, but he's kind of boring. Also he's too close to Sasuke in motivation and magic eyes for me to not mentally link the two.

Fortunately for Kurapika his revenge thing is written competently enough that he actually gives a poo poo about anything else ever so he has room for character development :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Technically Sasuke is based on Kurapika, based on the order the stories were written. The author of Naruto has also cited Hunter x Hunter as one of his influences.

Personally I think of Kurapika as "Sasuke but better written".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leorio was almost Chairman of the Hunter Association because he punched Ging in the face. Hell, Ging, who's probably just behind Gendo Ikari for the "Anime/Manga Father of the Year" award, was a Zodiac.

Gyges posted:

I stopped reading Naruto before the Sharingan was anything but a "copy the opponent" thing or Sasuke had... Any motivation at all, so I can't comment on that part (though others have), but I can understand not liking Kurapika, even if he's my favorite.

Anyway, I'm also curious about all the Zodiac, actually. Other than Cheadle, Ging, Pariston, and to a lesser extent Mizaistrom, they have next to no characterization, and until this chapter we had no clue of any of their abilities. While they seem like perfect fodder for showing off how tough the Dark Continent really is, I hope that at least Cheadle and a couple others make it out alright. And hell, they might surprise me and all turn out to be pretty awesome in action/not die like flies to raise the stakes.

• Locked thread