Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Recently I watched an Onion film review of The Hobbit in which the joke is that the reviewer believes himself to be an author of better, more mature fantasy than Tolkien and constantly plugs his (not real, duh) book series during the review of the movie. It's hilarious levels of :smug: played for laughs, and I got interested in finding articles or posts that do just that, but with dead seriousness.

And I did! This guy praises Tolkien's work throughout the article, citing him as a pioneering mind in fantasy literature... but in the same breath, he elevates himself over the "old master" by talking about the "mature themes" and "moral ambiguity" and poo poo present in his own work. It's really not subtle:

BUY MY BOOK posted:

Tolkien’s works are notable for the purity, nobility, and wisdom of his characters. There is never a doubt that Aragorn will make the heroic choice, or that Frodo and Sam will see their way through to the bitter end of their perilous journey to Mordor. Tolkien wanted to show the best aspects of humanity, and contrast them with the ultimate evil of Sauron. Yet people are rarely so pure and unblemished in my experience.

I wanted to reflect human ambiguity in both my protagonists and my antagonists. If Tolkien’s books are about the goodness and nobility of humanity, then The Books of the Shaper are about the ambivalence of the human condition, the inconstant nature of the world itself, and the suffering behind the heroism. If Tolkien’s books are about facing ultimate darkness armed with courage and faith, then The Books of the Shaper are about the obsessions that drive us to our fates, the terrible price we pay for what we want, and the inherent duality of human existence.

I'm not really a fan of Tolkien or genre fiction in general, but the whole article is pretty priceless.

BUY MY BOOK posted:

There are no elves or dwarves in SEVEN KINGS or its companion volumes. There is no satanic and all-mighty Dark Lord. Instead there are flawed men and women (some of whom are Giants) trying to do the best they can in a world of mythic conflicts and staggering sorcery. There is Vireon, the half-Giant inheritor of a throne he neither sought nor particularly wanted; Sharadza, whose clever magic gives her no power to save her doomed marriage; Tong, an escaped slave who discovers far more than the vengeance he craves; Tyro and Lyrilan, the Twin Kings of Uurz, whose brotherly love is destroyed by the weight of their shared empire; and Iardu the Shaper, whose potent sorcery can change the world but not the stubborn nature of mankind.
:words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
yeah,

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

more words

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
tbh tho i did think the op was ok

not great, but it was ok

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i didnt read the op but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Hahahaha

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[...]who, despite being several millennia old, seems to humans as no more than a pre-teen

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[...]a tour de force of low fantasy, wherein the whole world reverberates with adventure, intrigue [...] and sensual peril

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
that's pretty funny op, but, at the same time, I can't help but think I did a better job in my book

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Cubone posted:

that's pretty funny op, but, at the same time, I can't help but think I did a better job in my book

hmm no, I think my tales of the half-orc half-giant half-weeaboo Drushkaar Kusanagi is more mature, especially when he faces down the ambiguous King James in a duel to the death with his sabretana

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

[...]a tour de force of low fantasy, wherein the whole world reverberates with adventure, intrigue [...] and sensual peril

What the hell is this from?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

my new quintilogy

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Noyemi K posted:

Every review ever from the writing equivalents of Deviantart.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
writing those posts put me slightly closer towards cosmic one-ness with terry goodkind and i have the strangest sensation of really needing to brush my teeth. except, like, all over my body

nononsense
Feb 28, 2013
I have this great idea for an epic fantasy trilogy which I'm definitely going to write someday. Just you wait, once it's published, bam, move over Tolkien.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Man, what about this epic world I've been building, and this conlang, let me show it to you:

"Grolgim hafar dooord malak intak"

translates to

"give up, evil rapist nerd"

where's my epic fantasy money

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The Conworlds Wiki is a goddamn goldmine.

The Age Of Elves, Dwarves and Men posted:

The age began with the fall of the Titans. With the War of the Titans end, the world was split up into eight continents instead of two. All the Titanic temples were in ruins. The Dwarves were the first to take advantage of the situation. They spread out from the mountains, and establised outposts. They traded with the Elves, and soon the two races were allies.

forestbridge posted:

ForestBridge was the capital of Elenlaurnia

TL;DR: [A whole bunch of fictional statistics with no context]

nononsense
Feb 28, 2013
World-building is really rewarding if you know how to do it. My head is constantly filled with all these incredible ideas by just reading and watching material from other artists. For instance, what-if scenarios, what if a wizard turns all soldiers from WW2 into ponies? How would ponies change world history? Keeps me up at night.

nononsense fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 30, 2014

Koerschgen
Oct 25, 2012

Man kann sich ja mal vertun.
You know, seeing all the ‘hype’ about 50Shades of Blergh (you know what I mean) and how well it sells despite the horrendous, if not non-existant quality, I am this close to ask my followers to hype up my book. I am willing to share info D=

I mean, I am at least TRYING to have some quality in there. I want some overwhelming sales too.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

quote:

The Alskrallura world is surrounded by the life rafters this thick network of rafters surrounds the entire world, although you can not see it from ground in most spots because the bottom is covered with a thin fog called the serinean mist, light hits the top part of the rafters and is absorbed through photosynthesis, the living life rafters then emit the light from there branches especially at the bottom where the light coming down is the strength of day light, the upper canopies of the rafters and mostly dark or dim lighting, the life in the upper areas of the rafters is mostly insects as well as the draconians which build their cities on the large beams

Around the rafters where no life may live is the realm of Eruio, here the narmfs live as well as the souls of the dead, the Eruio is a lobby for the dead, where the souls may rest before their journey down and there life begins in another form

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

where can i find youtube compilations of all the ridiculous descriptions of making GBS threads/vagina wetness from the audioboks

Koerschgen
Oct 25, 2012

Y’know, for some reason the part I’m sorta looking forward too should my books ever get famous are the gross misinterpretations and faulty dreamcasts for the characters.

Because, rest assure, I will so mock the worst in the coming stories.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

my new quintilogy

pentalogy you rube

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
That's the one part of the onion I don't read cause it is usually utter poo poo.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

it is a shame that scene will be cut from the t.v. show.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

bravissimo

also shouldn't this thread be fantasy_writers.txt

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Crewmine posted:

bravissimo

also shouldn't this thread be fantasy_writers.txt

I was considering that title, but fantasy writers aren't the only ones to do this poo poo.

Koerschgen
Oct 25, 2012

delusional individual posted:

25 / (hopefully) soon-to-be published author, wannabe actor, full-time video gamer / lover of arts and books

He, let's see what this soon-to-be-published author is writing:

Hell is What You Make

Fandom: Les Misérables (2012)
Summary: For the Vavert Gift Exchange. Dark!Valjean kidnaps Javert and puts him in his torture cellar.
Contains: non-con, forced orgasm, watersports, Stockholm Syndrome, dehumanization, humiliation, beatings, forced masturbation, bootlicking. I did mention the Stockholm Syndrome, right?

The First Time Always Hurts, You Know

Fandom: Thor
Summary: While Thor only wished to save his brother, Loki had already aquired a new one. A better one. A shiny new toy he desperately wanted to show off. Because it was worthier in any way. Only it wasn’t.
Contains: non-con, double penetration, clone sex, feelings getting in the way.

Uh, well, good luck, I guess?

Fake edit: Oh.

Remember when I sent a short story to a publisher for an anthology?

They sent out a mail. Anthology’s not gonna happen. Out of 30 stories, thre were not even six good enough to get published. Allegedly, there were a few good ones, and they said they’re gonna contact the authors soon.

… that mail was from last week. They didn’t contact me again.

… I’m not feeling so good right now.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
This_thread.fag

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
"Ugh, I can't believe The DaVinci Code/50 Shades of Grey/Divergent is so popular! Anybody could write crap like that and get rich!"

-can't and doesn't-

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
-owns a vintage typewriter, typing gloves, expensive moleskine notebooks-

-hasn't actually written anything in months-

-instead of just sitting down and writing considers buying a new desk-

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

http://archiveofourown.org/media/Music%20*a*%20Bands/fandoms

literally anything here

have you ever wanted panic at the disco fanfiction? because my friend there are three thousand, four hundred and one works for your reading pleasure

http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Panic!%20at%20the%20Disco/works

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Koerschgen posted:

He, let's see what this soon-to-be-published author is writing:

Uh, well, good luck, I guess?

Fake edit: Oh.

Sounds like something from either tumblr or TVTropes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
everything ITT

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

We call that homegrown fiction_writers.txt

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Why is it always a loving trilogy?

Like, half the time they're not even done writing it and they figure they'll stretch their boring story out to be a trilogy. Is it because Tolkien did it? If that's the case, how come even non-mediaeval fantasy poo poo does it too?

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

First reply:

systran posted:

Eat suck, suckface!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DukeRustfield posted:

^regarding the user above. "Eat suck, suckface" is one of the quotes from the book. So he wasn't trolling.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

here's some fiction i wrote: This thread is interesting, and funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Christmas Miracle posted:

here's some fiction i wrote: This thread is interesting, and funny too.

I've got some too: your good at psoting

• Locked thread