Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I know it bothers you, but realtalk:

I actually am an HR Director.

You should put this in bold and italics and maybe use comic sans. Would describe you perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

the fundamental feature of capitalism is parasitism

You mean its ability to separate the weak and valueless of society from the strong and willing? Yes, that is called American Exceptionalism. I have no issue with that. It is why Capitalism is embraced by this country and why that hilarious "Occupy" movement went away.

Rhizoids
Jul 4, 2009

by Ralp
i will be entering college this fall what should i major in????
pls help

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Avalanche posted:

You should put this in bold and italics and maybe use comic sans. Would describe you perfectly.

I'm okay with that.

Also an avatar and sig of Catbert.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I also am an human resources director and virgin who never got to experience college.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trade work is crazy lucrative right now. Depending on your industry, age, experience, and knowledge you can make as little at $14/hr starting to as much as $38/hr.

I have never seen such an insane pay range for standard rates. Those aren't Line-Level to CEO rates either. That is more like Entry Sales to Best-In-Class Sales. It is really impressive.

The going rate here is 50 an hour give or take a couple bucks

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhizoids posted:

i will be entering college this fall what should i major in????
pls help

What is your k-12 experience in. What background do you have. What resources does your family have in placing you into a job after college.

If you can answer those questions, you will know what field to get your degree in.

If the answer to the above is "none", then just pick a tradeskill and skip college. Woodworking is always in demand.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You mean its ability to separate the weak and valueless of society from the strong and willing? Yes, that is called American Exceptionalism. I have no issue with that.

see what I mean?

tired gimmick. nobody actually thinks like this irl and is of sound mind.

and that's not even what American Exceptionalism means you loving idiot.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mookface posted:

The going rate here is 50 an hour give or take a couple bucks

I'm assuming you are talking for sex work.

Tradeskills are a little different, though the effort is probably the same.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm talking skilled trades sex work pays more

Rhizoids
Jul 4, 2009

by Ralp

What is your k-12 experience in. What background do you have. What resources does your family have in placing you into a job after college.

If you can answer those questions, you will know what field to get your degree in.

If the answer to the above is "none", then just pick a tradeskill and skip college. Woodworking is always in demand.

i dont have any experience/bakcground outside of school and my family doesnt have any money

i do really well in school and ive always wanted to be a professor

do you think liberal arts degree is ok in this case??? or am i hosed

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

see what I mean?

tired gimmick. nobody actually thinks like this irl and is of sound mind.

and that's not even what American Exceptionalism means you loving idiot.

Thats funny, because one of the four pillars of American Exceptionalism is Free-Market Capitalism. You have already said that it exploits people, by your own admission. Therefore, yes, it is exactly what it means.

That is what makes America different. We care enough to know what is good for some may not be good for all.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhizoids posted:

i dont have any experience/bakcground outside of school and my family doesnt have any money

i do really well in school and ive always wanted to be a professor

do you think liberal arts degree is ok in this case??? or am i hosed

Liberal arts would get you a job as a "hashtag activist" or a "blog contributor".

Get a tradeskill, make good money, have a family, contribute to the economy. Be happy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I know it bothers you, but realtalk:

I actually am an HR Director.

I actually am a millionaire. College educated too. Virgin. So loving what? You like many workers can easily be replaced, with technology. Stop pretending your any different then that fry worker, because in the grande scheme of things you aren't. Well besides the whole tons of education/time/money to learn an equally unnecessary skill. Assholes like you who think everyone has to work have allowed a system where everyone has to/should feel honored for the chance to work to continue to exist, when it doesn't have to be that way.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 31, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thats funny, because one of the four pillars of American Exceptionalism is Free-Market Capitalism. You have already said that it exploits people, by your own admission. Therefore, yes, it is exactly what it means.

lol how did you ever make it through high school US history what the poo poo are you even babbling about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

How you know sex work rates? Posting craigslist ads for hookers doesnt count as HR DIRECTOR dude

Rhizoids
Jul 4, 2009

by Ralp
what about grad sdchool though...

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

You can certainly blame people coming through the system when they get upset that the liberal arts degree isn't landing them a cushy 50k/year job.

Not all degrees are created equal.

Lets look at Business Admin degree, pretty watered down, but still passable. A 4 year BA in BA with no experience can land you jobs effectively in sales. Since all sales everywhere in hiring, the people not getting jobs are people who don't want to work in sales. Okay, then how are they getting any kind of leadership experience to become managers to use the degree in management they got?

Required internships as a component of your graduation requirement was a huge help for this, but many schools allow folks to skip it if they do a "project" instead. So while my heart goes out to folks with 4 year degrees not getting jobs, the problem lies with not enough experience, and pissing away the college years. So much can be done with that time, yet they do literally nothing. They have minimal amounts of responsibilities (as a group) and yet they wonder why they don't get jobs.

However, those that do perform internships, and work hard, guess what? They do well. Shocker, I know.

Not everyone wins a trophy. Not everyone can be the best. Not all of the newly-minted engineers are going to be in cushy offices. Perhaps they need to be okay making 40k a year getting dirty and getting experience rather than whining about being unemployed.
The thing is even if literally everyone took your advice there wouldn't be enough jobs in those fields for them all to be employed. At the end of the day someone has to staff your restaurants and grocery stores. You can't have people with more wealth than average without people with less wealth than average, mathematically someone has to get the short end of the stick no matter what they do. What is weird is why you hate on lib art degrees so much though? Do you really see absolutely no values in those field? As an engineer/scientist if you're being so lame as to force me to preface my opinion with that before you'll listen to it I feel like liberal arts are incredibly important and worth funding. They are not useless degrees; they are underfunded degrees. It's easy to say that stem fields change the world, but humanities change lives.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

lol how did you ever make it through high school US history what the poo poo are you even babbling about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

It is actually on that very page!

In 2012, conservative historians Larry Schweikart and Dave Dougherty argued that American Exceptionalism was based upon four pillars: (1) Common Law; (2) Virtue and morality based in Protestant Christianity; (3) Free-market capitalism; and (4) the sanctity of private property.[79]

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

The thing is even if literally everyone took your advice there wouldn't be enough jobs in those fields for them all to be employed. At the end of the day someone has to staff your restaurants and grocery stores. You can't have people with more wealth than average without people with less wealth than average, mathematically someone has to get the short end of the stick no matter what they do. What is weird is why you hate on lib art degrees so much though? Do you really see absolutely no values in those field? As an engineer/scientist if you're being so lame as to force me to preface my opinion with that before you'll listen to it I feel like liberal arts are incredibly important and worth funding. They are not useless degrees; they are underfunded degrees. It's easy to say that stem fields change the world, but humanities change lives.

bro he doesn't understand econ 101 he doesn't even understand US history

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It is actually on that very page!

In 2012, conservative historians Larry Schweikart and Dave Dougherty argued that American Exceptionalism was based upon four pillars: (1) Common Law; (2) Virtue and morality based in Protestant Christianity; (3) Free-market capitalism; and (4) the sanctity of private property.[79]

Yeah, right there at the bottom after that whole article about how many much smarter people defined the term. Right after that whole 'criticism' and right there under where it says 'Pre-emptive declinism', some conservatives have redefined it!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

conservative historians Larry Schweikart and Dave Dougherty

lol dude are you a troll or what, you've got to be loving with us

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Duck and Cover posted:

I actually am a millionaire. College educated too. Virgin. So loving what? You like many workers can easily be replaced, with technology. Stop pretending your any different then that fry worker, because in the grande scheme of things you aren't. Well besides the whole tons of education/time/money to learn an equally unnecessary skill. Assholes like you who think everyone has to work have allowed a system where everyone has to work to continue to exist, when it doesn't have to be that way.

Technology may replace me, but there will be someone to interface between the technology and the people, and that will be my job.

Humans will always work, there will always be work to do. There will always be value created from their effort, and when that value is created, money will be made. That is why people must be working. Life is not worth living unless everyone is working.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also the United States doesn't have free market capitalism anymore, we tried that in the 1800s and decided it wasn't really for us.

nutranurse posted:

lol dude are you a troll or what, you've got to be loving with us

Technology may replace me, but there will be someone to interface between the technology and the people, and that will be my job.

Humans will always work, there will always be work to do. There will always be value created from their effort, and when that value is created, money will be made. That is why people must be working. Life is not worth living unless everyone is working.

He ramps up the nuts as the threads go on.

e: also idk how the pillar of sanctity of private property works with that whole eminent domain law the US has and the fact that much of our land is stolen from others but I'm sure once you jump through the right mental hoops it all makes sense

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 31, 2014

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm okay if there isn't enough jobs. That has two positive effects.

1) it drives down labor prices, making the US more competitive, creating more jobs, solving the problem.
2) It allows people to have jobs closer to where they live, rather than having to seek jobs further away.

Long term, this may solve the horrible commute situation that we face, due to the lack of a trained workforce.

#1 complaint that every Director, VP, CEO I have ever met and had meetings with has been the lack of trained or educated employees to hire, even today. That is 100% realtalk by the way.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Well, no I could agree with the sentiment that 'life is not worth living if everyone's not working' but I also count making art and books and music and culture-in-general as 'work' (i also think society should strive to make sure everyone's got enough to be happy, regardless of what lovely job they happen to do), he's prolly thinking more along the lines of 'well SOMEONE'S gotta do my landscaping, and it sure as poo poo won't be those last guys I hired, illegals are cheaper'.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

Also the United States doesn't have free market capitalism anymore, we tried that in the 1800s and decided it wasn't really for us.

e: also idk how the pillar of sanctity of private property works with that whole eminent domain law the US has but I'm sure once you jump through the right mental hoops it all makes sense

Eminent domain is necessary to prevent the private property from interfering with the capitalism of the country. Please don't be obtuse.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1) it drives down labor prices, making the US more competitive, creating more jobs, solving the problem.
2) It allows people to have jobs closer to where they live, rather than having to seek jobs further away.

Long term, this may solve the horrible commute situation that we face, due to the lack of a trained workforce.

#1 complaint that every Director, VP, CEO I have ever met and had meetings with has been the lack of trained or educated employees to hire, even today. That is 100% realtalk by the way.

so you want everyone to get degrees, that way the people with degrees see their labor value reduced to what minimum wage workers currently get, and then all the janitors and food service works can just go die I guess because you ignored that bit of the equation.

also competition doesn't just automagically create jobs lol you're letting your lack of economics education show here again

quote:

yeah well when you hire in India you get what you pay for

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nutranurse posted:

Well, no I could agree with the sentiment that 'life is not worth living if everyone's not working' but I also count making art and books and music and culture-in-general as 'work', he's prolly thinking more along the lines of 'well SOMEONE'S gotta do my landscaping, and it sure as poo poo won't be those last guys I hired, illegals are cheaper'.

No. Artists and books and music and whatnot are still art as long as someone is paying you to do it. Whether that be through commission, patronage, or buying it direct. The reason is that you should not be a "starving artist" because you are a craftsman.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

man lol you cray cray I'm not gonna touch that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eminent domain is necessary to prevent the private property from interfering with the capitalism of the country. Please don't be obtuse.

so in your political theory, one pillar is more important than the other

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

man lol you cray cray I'm not gonna touch that.

So what, you want...higher wages and fewer jobs as the U.S. continues to have highly-productive workforces that have too high of a value to be competitive with other nations in the globalized economy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So what, you want...higher wages and fewer jobs as the U.S. continues to have highly-productive workforces that have too high of a value to be competitive with other nations in the globalized economy?

you want everyone to get degrees and that way the skilled workforce can be paid less and less while all the unskilled labor just gets magically done by robots and that part of the workforce just dies in the streets quietly

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think a computer can handle firing people. Wait can you debug a program if something goes wrong? No? Yeah you won't be needed. Oh and if there's nobody to fire because people aren't working your position would be made obsolete.

quote:

I don't work, if it'd help I suppose I can send you some razor blades. Less work for all should be the goal, not more.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 31, 2014

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

so in your political theory, one pillar is more important than the other

A single person is never more important than the group. If a persons' house is blocking development of a freeway (because Southern California is my favorite whipping boy), the person should receive Fair Market Value for the house, based on a correct and current valuation of the property. That way they are compensated and the project and proceed. Capitalism at its finest. The person can build their life somewhere new, they are made whole, and the country moves forward. No harm done.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're just HR. You're expendable. It's not like telling someone they're fired is really a skill only a few possess, let's stop pretending.

A monkey could do your job. A monkey with a sign.

A single person is never more important than the group.

So then why do the few rich people get to run roughshod all over everyone else, in this glorious Capitalist system that sounds suspiciously like Not Capitalism?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

College is actually worth it for everyone capable of doing the work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The underlying point here is that the gap is increasing like wild and that's not really economically viable.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Duck and Cover posted:

I think a computer can handle firing people. Wait can you debug a program if something goes wrong? No? Yeah you won't be needed.

I don't work, if it'd help I suppose I can send you some razor blades. Less work for all should be the goal, not more.

The human condition is to strive. Striving to succeed and do well in the workplace (whatever their choice of work) is a virtue, not a vice. How can you possibly see being idle as a virtue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

A single person is never more important than the group. If a persons' house is blocking development of a freeway (because Southern California is my favorite whipping boy), the person should receive Fair Market Value for the house, based on a correct and current valuation of the property. That way they are compensated and the project and proceed. Capitalism at its finest. The person can build their life somewhere new, they are made whole, and the country moves forward. No harm done.

so you're just one of those 'beep-boop, world's just' types that doesn't understand things like emotions and attachment to your home, or are those things below your pay-grade.

• Locked thread