Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ket posted:

How many brisgoons are at the waifs tonight?

The what?

Also, Canada is doing pretty lovely of late, Harper has deconstructed more national parks and scientific research than Tone. Harper is basically second term Tony.

E: :page3:

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If nothing else, then watch up to the bit about the Rotness concentration camp turned resort. It is very powerful viewing.

It's horrifying but pretty typical of how whitey operates. For $240 a night you can stay in a room where 57 people died. Now that's a holiday!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ewe2 posted:

It's horrifying but pretty typical of how whitey operates. For $240 a night you can stay in a room where 57 people died. Now that's a holiday!

It is nice how everything gets lovely names, like Karma Spa. It's very 1984.

:smith:

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Urgh, this loving blows. Centrelink decided that I can sit the last exams of my degree sans money. There are about 3 jobs in Hobart pertaining to my degree. I'm glad that I'm not up in Launceston, because I'll most likely have to apply for Newstart, and I'd be working for Herr Abbott for my pittance.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Canadachat part 1: Harper is what you'd get if Abbott was better at hiding how atrocious and slimy he is. So he's basically PM Turnbull.

Canadachat part 2: Ice Hockey is the most #straya sport which isn't big in Australia and it's the closest thing you can get to AFL during the months when AFL isn't being played. It's about to start the final round of playoffs (basically a best-of-seven grand final) next week but I'm still grumpy because the Bruins only made it to the second round this year before being knocked out by the Canadiens after a loving killer home and away season.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tony Jowns posted:

Canadachat part 1: Harper is what you'd get if Abbott was better at hiding how atrocious and slimy he is. So he's basically PM Turnbull.

Canadachat part 2: Ice Hockey is the most #straya sport which isn't big in Australia and it's the closest thing you can get to AFL during the months when AFL isn't being played. It's about to start the final round of playoffs (basically a best-of-seven grand final) next week but I'm still grumpy because the Bruins only made it to the second round this year before being knocked out by the Canadiens after a loving killer home and away season.

Good gently caress the Bruins forever!

It's so much less stressful when your dumb team isn't in the playoffs, it makes watching them so much more fun since you don't have a heart attack every single game.

And yeah, Harper tried introducing mandatory detention when he only had a minority government for refugees and the idea was so unpopular all the other parties said they'd vote against it, and with the people it was unpopular enough that now that he has a majority government he isn't trying it again. He'd like to be Tony Abbott, but the difference is he actually realizes that doing poo poo that fucks people over too much will reflect badly in the polls.

ewe2 posted:

:stonk:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

HookShot posted:

canucks fan spotted

HookShot posted:

your dumb team isn't in the playoffs
yep definitely a canucks fan
(are you a canucks fan hookshot)

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

HookShot posted:

He'd like to be Tony Abbott, but the difference is he actually realizes that doing poo poo that fucks people over too much will reflect badly in the polls.

This speaks enough volumes about Australians to be in the OP

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Best OP. :canada:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 31, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nibbles141 posted:

This speaks enough volumes about Australians to be in the OP

As an american Abbott puts me in mind of a crueler and possibly dumber version of GWB.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tony Jowns posted:

canucks fan spotted

yep definitely a canucks fan
(are you a canucks fan hookshot)

I am a Canucks fan :smith:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

Go leafs

:(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

simmyb posted:

Go leafs

I'm so sorry.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

simmyb posted:

Go leafs

:smith::hf::smith:

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/uni-course-fees-expected-to-double-analysis-shows-20140531-39b0b.html

quote:

Students will be hit with double fees for some arts degrees and at least 55 per cent rises for engineering and science degrees at the University of Sydney under the federal government's controversial overhaul of higher education.

An analysis of the cost implications to the university from the government's planned 20 per cent reduction in funding for university places shows fees for communications, social science, environmental and engineering degrees will soar.

A Sydney University three-year bachelor of environmental systems costs a domestic student a minimum of $25,839 based on current fees. Under the changes, students would face a bill of at least $42,405 for the same degree from 2016. A communications degree costs a student about $18,132 but that would skyrocket to about $37,000.

The predictions are similar at the University of Melbourne where vice-chancellor Glyn Davis expects fees for engineering degrees will rise by at least 60 per cent and science degrees by about 54 per cent.

This means a Melbourne University bachelor of science degree with a civil systems engineering major, which costs a domestic student a minimum of $24,082, would rise to at least $38,772. In an email to university staff, Professor Davis said the fee forecasts did not cover expensive courses such as medicine and law, which some experts have predicted could triple in costs or rise even higher.

I definitely picked a good time to have a depressive episode and change degrees :suicide:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Drug testing people on the dole Jesus loving Christ :suicide:

quote:

Drug tests if you’re on the dole

Samantha Maiden
The Sunday Telegraph
June 01, 2014 12:00AM

DRUG testing for the unemployed and the suspension of payments to people with outstanding arrest warrants are two options to be debated in a major overhaul of welfare.

The Abbott Government has confirmed it is looking closely at New Zealand’s welfare system, which includes a hardline approach to drug use.

The New Zealand model strips welfare recipients of half their payments if they fail a job-required drug test or refuse to submit to one.

They are then given 30 days to get clean. Those who continue to use drugs or refuse to take a job that requires testing are required to pay back their welfare payments.

Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews last night said: “We won’t rule this in or out.”

But the testing has been attacked as a waste of money by critics in New Zealand with low rates of positive results.

Of the 8001 jobseekers sent for drug testing, only 22 had tested positive to drug use or had refused to take tests.

Mr Andrews yesterday cautioned it would be more difficult to introduce in Australia because it would require the support of the states.

“While Australia’s welfare system is different from New Zealand, its reforms provide a guide as to the government’s thinking on simplifying our welfare system,” he said.

The Abbott government has confirmed it is also looking closely at New Zealand’s “simpler, more coherent” system of streamlining payments.

“Australia’s welfare system is complex and expensive,” Mr Andrews said.

“This review will look at welfare reforms overseas, including New Zealand where they have simplified their welfare system by introducing five new payments that replaced eleven old payments.”

The streamlined New Zealand payment system now includes a new Jobseeker Support payment for those actively seeking work, Sole Parent Support for single parents with children aged under 14 years, and Supported Living Payments for people significantly restricted by sickness, injury or disability.

A report by Patrick McClure into options for reforms to Australia’s welfare system will be released shortly.

“There are around 20 different payments (in Australia) that are topped up with around 50 different supplements, including Family Tax Benefits and Carer Allowance, costing taxpayers around $100 billion annually,” Mr Andrews said.

“To make this work requires more than 3500 pages of legislation and more than 640 pages of endnotes to administer the social security system.”

Labor’s Jenny Macklin said welfare simplification was code for more cuts.

“Tony Abbott needs to explain to low-income Australians — already reeling from the Budget — exactly what his next round of cuts will mean for them,” she said.

“This year’s Budget has already ripped billions of dollars out of the pockets of low-income Australians.

“It will leave millions of vulnerable people worse off.

“Yet the government is already looking to its next round of cuts.”

It's pretty bad when the LNP releases something to News to use as an EXCLUSIVE and even the Sunday loving Terror points out how useless it is.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 1, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

:cawg:

Well, you all know deep down that they want to privatize the whole thing entirely, yes? Well, lets see how that would work out... Ok, about 108k for the environmental systems degree. But, well, everyone must bear the burden in this budget crisis. Tony feels your pain. :laugh:

adamantium|wang posted:

Drug testing people on the dole Jesus loving Christ :suicide:

As a proud american, let me say: You're Welcome. :911:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 1, 2014

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Someone in the May thread mentioned that Scott Ludlam is coming to Brisbane soon but I can't find the post for the details D:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Can't wait to see the cost:benefit analysis on that.

The money "saved" by lower dole payments would be a fraction of the cost of employing people to do drug tests on a regular basis.

Also :bravo: on placing the emphasis once again on only the jobless. Why not the pension? Why not people who receive negative gearing? School kids bonuses? Super concessions?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mithranderp posted:

Someone in the May thread mentioned that Scott Ludlam is coming to Brisbane soon but I can't find the post for the details D:

https://www.facebook.com/events/583409978423316/?fref=ts

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zenithe posted:

The money "saved" by lower dole payments would be a fraction of the cost of employing people to do drug tests on a regular basis.

Also :bravo: on placing the emphasis once again on only the jobless. Why not the pension? Why not people who receive negative gearing? School kids bonuses? Super concessions?

It's not about cost:benefit

It's about appearing hard on "bludgers"

because australians are narrow minded, easily led fuckwits.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Don't worry, it would waste millions and millions of dollars. Noted sub-human filth and Florida Governor Rick Scott tried to implement the same moronic scheme but luckily the federal and supreme courts said ":lol:NOPE" and he has only managed to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on pointless appeals.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't worry, it would waste millions and millions of dollars. Noted sub-human filth and Florida Governor Rick Scott tried to implement the same moronic scheme but luckily the federal and supreme courts said ":lol:NOPE" and he has only managed to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on pointless appeals.

He didn't waste money since he funneled money to drug testing companies that (I believe) his wife had an interest in.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

He didn't waste money since he funneled money to drug testing companies that (I believe) his wife had an interest in.

He basically transferred his ownership of about $60M or so worth of healthcare companies into his wife's name to avoid a "conflict of interest".

nrichprime
May 29, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Why not the family tax benefit?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Ammonsa posted:

I haven't, what union should I be joining?

United Voice.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The evil chicken had a go on Insiders today, still claiming that "deregulation" means lower fees and more students:

If it could peck your eyes out through the screen it would.

Ross Gittens thinks otherwise:

quote:

It's misleading to describe giving unis freedom to set their own fees as "deregulation". Indeed, it's silly to imagine higher education is anything like a market. Its "firms" are owned by the state governments and highly regulated by the federal government. All its courses still have to be accredited by the feds which, they claim, guarantees that quality standards won't fall.

Even the unis' freedom to raise their fees - which the next government could reverse - comes with a string attached: fees charged to local students may not exceed those charged to overseas students.

There's no profit motive. And, as any academic will tell you, unis are highly inefficient, bureaucratic organisations dominated by administrators. The safest prediction is that giving unis greater revenue-raising ability will lead to them employing more administrators.

How can uni fees be regarded as a "price" in the textbook sense when people are lent the money to pay the price under a concessional loan they won't have to repay for years?

In effect, universities have a government-regulated monopoly over a product that gives young people access to the country's highly paid jobs. What will they do when the price jumps - abandon all ambition? Demand seems highly "price inelastic" - unresponsive to price changes.

He goes on to describe how, when Howard allowed a 25% price increase, all unis jacked their prices up, just like the banks do with interest. It only had a temporary effect on applications, as happened in the UK.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I was reading the Europe thread and someone mentioned France wants to see $30,000 in the bank before you apply for a long term visa.

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit
Jan 19, 2004

ewe2 posted:

My school used to go to Rottnest for camp and you'd learn all about the islands history through tours and such, but I think they may have missed a few things.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit posted:

My school used to go to Rottnest for camp and you'd learn all about the islands history through tours and such, but I think they may have missed a few things.

I have relatives who go there every couple of years for holidays and they had never heard anything like that before :smith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kommando posted:

I was reading the Europe thread and someone mentioned France wants to see $30,000 in the bank before you apply for a long term visa.

If it's for the tourist visa then yeah, they want you to show you can support yourself while you can't legally work.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Millions spent to employ spin doctors in Immigration Department
June 1, 2014
Fergus Hunter, Jonathan Swan

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison's portfolios employ more than 95 communications staff and spin doctors, costing taxpayers at least $8 million a year.

Details released to the Senate show the departments of Immigration, Border Protection and Australian Customs have 85 ongoing and 10 non-ongoing staff responsible for media monitoring, internal communication and public relations.

This is estimated to cost between $8 million and $9.2 million a year in salaries alone, not including superannuation, leave, allowances and other associated costs. The details were released by the Immigration Department in response to questions from Labor senator Joe Ludwig.

Mr Morrison, who regularly uses the adjectives ''on water'' and ''operational'' to describe matters that cannot be discussed, said through a spokeswoman that ''any suggestion these staff are all working on the minister's liaising with the media is completely untrue''.

''These are large organisations which require a significant amount of internal and corporate communication work on behalf of these agencies,'' the spokeswoman added.

Fairfax Media reported in March that there were at least 66 spin doctors working in the department under Mr Morrison.

The minister made a statement rejecting the report. He said he had only 37.9 people in communications, whereas the previous Labor government employed 44 people in this area.

Asked to explain the difference between the figure, the spokeswoman said: ''The minister was referring [in March] to the National Communications Branch of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

''It is important to note that of the 37.9 staff (including two seconded to Operation Sovereign Borders) in that branch as at April 30, 2014, only a third of those staff were working in the media section of the branch.

''The rest of the branch undertakes other communications work, such as campaigns and marketing, internal communications, social media, graphic design and broadcast production.''

Mr Morrison has employed a deliberately secretive approach to Operation Sovereign Borders and says doing so has contributed to the program's success in ''stopping the boats''.

Can't possibly spend any money on refugee advocates, no sir.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
So Pyne went on the record and said that only new HECS debts will be subject to interest. Which is weird since the Study Assist site says otherwise

quote:

FRAN KELLY: Just to be clear, though, those students who are enrolling now or next year, they will be repaying their HECS debt at the higher rate, won't they?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE:
Anybody who was enrolled before May 14, nothing will change in terms of their arrangements.

FRAN KELLY: So the HECS debt will always stay at CPI into the future until it is paid off.

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: They are grandfathered until they finish their courses, which is by 2020 in most cases. Anybody who enrols from January 1, 2016 will face the new arrangements from the time they enrol. Anybody who enrols between the budget and December 31 next year will face the new arrangements from January 1 and the current arrangements until that time.

http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2014/s4016440.htm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TheIllestVillain posted:

So Pyne went on the record and said that only new HECS debts will be subject to interest. Which is weird since the Study Assist site says otherwise

http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2014/s4016440.htm

He gone fukt up now!

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I'm going to guess he mispoke.

Unless this is a new calculated effort of "well, how about we only gently caress the people who come after you"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
It's still poo poo and he's still poo poo.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
More to the point, the Study Assist site originally said it wouldn't apply to existing students and then was changed to state that it applies to all students, and now Pyne's said it doesn't apply to existing students.

I'm pretty sure none of them have any loving idea what they're doing, at this point.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

I'm pretty sure none of them have any loving idea what they're doing, at this point.

That much is obvious. They are concerned about polling figures and by trying to front foot it they are running around contradicting each other and themselves because they have no real strategy to respond to the backlash.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The way I see it is they're trying to get students who already are in degrees and therefore allegedly clear of interest to go "gently caress you got mine" to future students.

Except we haven't got anything in the first place, we're just barely dodging a hail of bullets while saps out front get mowed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Also the chances of them sticking to even this concession is total bullshit, because they'll either go full neoliberal with Labor digging their grave all along the way, or they won't get it through at all assuming Clive stands for anything, which I'm cautiously optimistic about.

• Locked thread