Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Sir Unimaginative posted:

How does Chivas miss the hook in your scenario?

Because you're using specifically worst rather than least good and after MLS compulsory-bought-out Vergara Chivas is merely aggressively mediocre rather than a latino supremacist reserve side for Guadalajara?

Also don't be so hasty, we COULD use the Jets to troll everyone.

Including LA, given a name change.

"Introducing your Los Angeles~~~~~ Oilers!"

I don't know enough about Soccer, only that it bores me. Hell I forgot Chivas is even a team before you mentioned it. And I don't want a pro football team here, although if there had to be one, it should go for maximum trolling effort with the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Wamsutta posted:

I don't get how Carbomb had it dropped to 6 either. If the book says 10 it's 10. Why bother having the automatic 10 if it's subject to review.

I don't know if he sees the ice again even once he's done being suspended. AV made some comments about Carcillo's future with the organization, if I remember right. Dunno if he'll want to put him in, no matter how much grit or grind or toughness they may need against LAK.

I linked this earlier, but it's worth repeating because it explains exactly why and how the suspension was reduced. To summarize, they decided it was a category 3 offense rather than 2. Category 3 has a minimum 3 game suspension. Bettman also acknowledges that the suspension might have been longer if it occurred during regular season games. Make of that what you will...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

I read this and can only think "holy poo poo gently caress you Martin Madden"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/the-incredible-saga-of-how-rangers-lucked-upon-lundqvist/

That Henrik Lundqvist was taken in the 7th round in a draft where Rick DiPietro was taken first overall really speaks volumes on how goalie drafting is only barely a step above literal voodoo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Uh... you might be a little late, there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At least whoever made that took pride in their work.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Vicas posted:

That Henrik Lundqvist was taken in the 7th round in a draft where Rick DiPietro was taken first overall really speaks volumes on how goalie drafting is only barely a step above literal voodoo
Henrik being taken after his own brother is such a weird thing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vicas posted:

I mean that was also nearly 14 years ago I'd like to think scouting has maybe progressed a bit...

Still I'd really like to see the Rangers start picking some Finnish or Swedish goalies in the draft as Lundqvist gets older. They seem to go for guys who play in the CHL and maybe I'm just wrong but there seem to be fewer later round CHL goalies that turn out.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Still I'd really like to see the Rangers start picking some Finnish or Swedish goalies in the draft as Lundqvist gets older. They seem to go for guys who play in the CHL and maybe I'm just wrong but there seem to be fewer later round CHL goalies that turn out.

wasn't it pretty much confirmed that they really wanted vasilevski in 2012?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have no idea, hadn't heard that but I haven't been diving into draft rumors as much these days.

I figure Lundqvist has 4 years of great play left in him and hopefully the remaining 3 on his contract will be pretty good and the Rangers can be transitioning to another goalie at the end there, which means in 2-3 years they should really be going hard to find a replacement and start developing him.

And maybe I'm being optimistic about Lundqvist's longevity but here's hoping anyways

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
they just recently signed the goalie they picked in 2013, the ridiculously named Mackenzie Skapski, to an elc, and he looks better than their last handful of goalie picks (scott stajcer and antoine lafleur and i guess there was another one in there somewhere i dunno), so maybe there's hope that they're starting to figure out what a decent junior goalie looks like

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
apparently cam talbot has some kind of injury and david leneveu (who?) is the backup so don't get hurt hank because lol the rangers are really hosed if that happened

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

they just recently signed the goalie they picked in 2013, the ridiculously named Mackenzie Skapski, to an elc, and he looks better than their last handful of goalie picks (scott stajcer and antoine lafleur and i guess there was another one in there somewhere i dunno), so maybe there's hope that they're starting to figure out what a decent junior goalie looks like

Yeah, Skapski was really good in the playoffs for his team. Still, I'm not the timeframe is right for him to come in as Hanks successor, but whatever, even if he can be a good backup that helps.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

apparently cam talbot has some kind of injury and david leneveu (who?) is the backup so don't get hurt hank because lol the rangers are really hosed if that happened

Used to be the goalie of the future for the Coyotes! Was traded to the Rangers for Al Montoya back in the day, then fell off the face of the earth for awhile. Rangers signed him to play in Hartford this past season because the Wolfpack's goaltending was a complete disaster and they needed someone competent at at least the AHL level

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hank gets run by dustin brown in game 1 and david leneveu heroically guides the rangers to a cup

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

a false posted:

hank gets run by dustin brown Chris Kreider in game 1 and david leneveu heroically guides the rangers to a cup

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

a false posted:

hank gets run by dustin brown in game 1 and david leneveu heroically guides the rangers to a six game series loss

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Gah, i really really want the rangers to win this series and I hope so of all my heart but my brain is saying otherwise. I've been afraid of the kings throughout the playoffs and they're just so goddamn effective that I don't see how the rangers are going to stand a chance over a 7 game series. But stranger things have happened, I suppose (and hope).

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
The Kings are an extremely good team. The Rangers are a good team.

It's not like the Rangers are some bottom seed on a ridiculous run, or a poor fancystat club that's getting by on a deal with the devil. They're a solid team. They're rightful underdogs, because the Kings are better, but for the Rangers to win the series it would not have to be the miracle Cinderella story some people are making it out to be.

Also holy poo poo the Rangers are playing in a Stanley Cup Finals game in like 3.5 hours, I've never been able to write that on the internet before.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Its the first time the Rangers have had a crack at the cup since I was a child so I'm just going into this assuming everything that could go the rangers way will. Like for instance, we got this far without Nash really contributing to the offense, so imagine if that started happening.

As badly as I want this cup, it wasn't very long ago that I was worried we'd be knocked out by the Flyers so everything since has been gravy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm glad the Onion has changed since the days of every hockey article basically boiling down to "lol no one watches hockey"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rangers-counting-on-henrik-lundqvist-to-step-up-on,36203/

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm glad the Onion has changed since the days of every hockey article basically boiling down to "lol no one watches hockey"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rangers-counting-on-henrik-lundqvist-to-step-up-on,36203/

I'm not sure this is much better.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well they have a point. People think this chucklefuck is a franchise player with 1 point all playoffs? come on

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So apparently Talbot is out tonight and LeNeveu or whatever is backing up Hank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but him suiting up for tonight means that if the rangers win the Cup, he'll get his name on it. Would that be the first case of a player getting his name on the Cup before ever seeing one minute of NHL-level ice time?

EDIT: Nevermind, I apparently had LeNeveu confused with someone else. I thought he was some kid who was a prospect in the Rangers system. But apparently he's 31 and has played about 20 games for Phoenix and 1 game for CBJ before.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Remember that The Onion is based out of Chicago, and then draw your own conclusions.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Haha get it because Chicago is full of bandwagoners

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

The rule is that the player must play at least one game in the playoffs or 41 in the regular season, so I'm not sure if sitting as backup counts as 'played' under that rule. I also think the rule is sorta flexible as there are plenty of exceptions.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
You guys are seriously bitching about a loving onion article? And even rope in the loving conspiracy theory that they're chicago homers? Jesus.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

Levitate posted:

Used to be the goalie of the future for the Coyotes! Was traded to the Rangers for Al Montoya back in the day, then fell off the face of the earth for awhile. Rangers signed him to play in Hartford this past season because the Wolfpack's goaltending was a complete disaster and they needed someone competent at at least the AHL level

I always had a soft spot for Lenny back in the day... I thought he ended up in Europe or something. This makes me happy :3:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

The rule is that the player must play at least one game in the playoffs or 41 in the regular season, so I'm not sure if sitting as backup counts as 'played' under that rule. I also think the rule is sorta flexible as there are plenty of exceptions.

I thought last time this came up, the consensus was the player must play at least 1 game in the finals or 41 regular season games, and that anyone dressed for the game counts as "played."

Then again, I didn't see any proof of that, just like one guy said it and two guys agreed with him, so of course I took it as gospel.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Eyewitness News NY even did an entire 3 minute segment on the Rangers, wow, this must be big

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Vicas posted:

Eyewitness News NY even did an entire 3 minute segment on the Rangers, wow, this must be big

How long are they normally

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

double sulk posted:

"The Rangers/Devils/Islanders beat/lost to <x>, and in the NBA the Knicks..."

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought last time this came up, the consensus was the player must play at least 1 game in the finals or 41 regular season games, and that anyone dressed for the game counts as "played."

Then again, I didn't see any proof of that, just like one guy said it and two guys agreed with him, so of course I took it as gospel.

Yeah I am seeing a lot of conflicting information and exceptions. I think its basically up to the team's discretion to a point, and the league probably has a rule written down somewhere so that they don't abuse the privilege. Its the NHL, there aren't 'rules' so much as there are 'guidelines' (see: Carcillo, Dan).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Vicas posted:

"The Rangers/Devils/Islanders beat/lost to <x>, and in the NBA the Knicks..."

Still suck

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

double sulk posted:

They can get the wrong team

http://deadspin.com/5914740/now-a-new-york-tv-station-thinks-the-islanders-are-playing-the-kings-in-the-stanley-cup-finals

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Johnathan Bernier got his name on with the Kings in '12 with 15 regular season appearances and none in the playoffs, so I would assume that if the Rangers win the Cup, LeNeveu would be eligible to get his name on it, even if he doesn't appear. His case would be stronger if this turns out to be a longer-term injury that would rule Talbot out for the Finals, I'd think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aurora posted:

Haha get it because Chicago is full of bandwagoners

No, no.

Some of them are horrible long term fans too.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I'm not sure I really want my name on the cup if I'm a self-respecting professional hockey player who sits on a team's bench for 1 or 2 games in June.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Buane posted:

I'm not sure I really want my name on the cup if I'm a self-respecting professional hockey player who sits on a team's bench for 1 or 2 games in June.

hm yes but if it is the only chance you are ever going to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Can someone put together an la-is-the-lesser-evil.gif? :barf:

• Locked thread